What's On Your Mind Today?

Options

Replies

• BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,387 Member
    Options
    @Winner_in_Life - thx! always worth reading a different phrasing of much the same thing. Different "voices" resonate better with different people. The more who "hear / take in" the info one way or another, the more who will make sustainable improvements in their individual circumstances.
  • hannahwinner20
    hannahwinner20 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think I was addicted to fast food and snacks for awhile before I started this. I started head-on into this diet and exercise thing to lose weight. One major thing I have noticed this first week, is I'm emotional and very irritable. I had a piece of cheese and my brain went off and my cravings went back up again with full on power to destroy me. I felt like eating everything and I didnt care. Over a stinkin' piece of cheese!! I am miserable but I heard it will only last the first to second week. I hope my body gets adjusted to this new lifestyle.
  • donna25trinity
    donna25trinity Posts: 3,023 Member
    Options
    @donna25trinity I meant to comment on this
    @WhatMeRunning thanks so much this is really helpful I'll download mapmyrun tonight and I really got alot out of your advice!

Wat am I trying to achieve? Hmm well I started jogging in Nov and hve noticed a huge difference in my fitness levels and hve toned up so much from it too. So I suppose I want to continue progressing and for them to continuing being effective. Also hoping to stick with this jogging habit so I feel if I measure my runs it might give me something to work towards and stop me from getting bored later down the track.

I keep an excel spreadsheet and compare year to year. The items I track are AHR, Miles, Cum Miles, Avg Pace and Avg Cadence. Also you should track the # miles on your running shoes. Mapmyrun does a fairly decent job on most of those I think but I just use my Apple Watch "outdoor run" and my spreadsheet. My goals last year were related to mileage mostly - Run the Year - and some work on improving my pace. This year I am working on my pace mostly and have eased up on the mileage some. I think the biggest thing like Chris mentioned is not to overdo it and injure yourself and to also make sure to schedule some rest days (which I see you have). Over time you might be interested in competing in 5 or 10 Ks but for now enjoy it!

This is awesome! Thanks @SummerSkier u guys hve given me alot to work with! Much appreciated. I'm sure I'll hve more questions for u and @WhatMeRunning once I start analyzing my stats. Xo
  • ideas2
    ideas2 Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    @hannahwinner20 I think most of us in economically developed nations do have at least a level of food addiction. I have also read that that foods we are sensitive to (the type that is IgG sensitivities, that are delayed reactions and often not considered true allergies like IgE reaccions) affect the gut in negative ways and in response to the damage cause the release of natural opiods, which reinforces the addictive response. I have also read that those who are sensitive to gluten also often react to cassein with opiod output, and that it is very common for people to have some addictive tendency with both gluten and dairy. Do you think this could be part of what is affecting you? Or do you think it was more emotional/psychological-- wanting to have one thing that you were denying yourself?

Inspite of having this understanding that for me personally gluten and dairy are not really healthy foods and having had food sensitivity testing twice in my life, (and I am currently having it done again because this type of sensitivity can change over a lifetime and I keep hoping!) it is still exceptionally difficult for me to stay away from all dairy, cheese, or grains with gluten, because they are so entrenched in my culture-- pizza, Mexican food, Italian food.

I am curious what lifestyle you are pursuing that does not include any cheese. Plant based food only? Low fat? Or do you think you have an IgG food sensitivity to it?
  • hannahwinner20
    hannahwinner20 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    @ideas2 I'm not entirely sure, I think maybe I'll test some foods and see if they have a negative effect. I'm getting bloodwork done and seeing a doctor in Febuary. I love Pizza and anything with cheese or bread is my downfall. Right now, I'm keeping little cheese in my diet. I eat feta on salads and sometimes swiss cheese. I'm eating mostly chicken, fish, salad and healthy low sodium snacks in portion sizes only.

Not sure if I'm sensitive to gluten or not? I'm at work I might continue this and read it again later.
  • jamcnewman
    jamcnewman Posts: 4,075 Member
    Options
    jamcnewman wrote: »
    Weigh in was today at the doctor’s office on the special scale. Muscle mass, bone mass, water weight all stayed the same; fat loss of 2.2 pounds.

The goal for the past four weeks was maintenance. I was sure I did better than that (and I did). I was a bit disappointed at such a low loss but then needed to remind myself of the three infections and two rounds of antibiotics and one anti-fungal I dealt with in that period. I really struggled in December and had more pass days and missed exercise days than ever before on this journey so far. But, I was a champion and kept reporting in, and didn’t quit. So I am choosing to be proud of myself.

Onwards.

I just posted in the regular group asking about your results and then came here... :) We are truly a little family here as I was thinking about your appt and wondering how it went

Anyway, WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fat loss around the holiday season, you are fantastic! Not to mention the fact you said you had personal struggles you were dealing with on top of that.

I get the "disappointment" type vibes that creep in but I'm glad you're choosing to be proud, because you totally should be. Your resolve and dedication to your goals and this group and to yourself is paying off.

@ashleycarole86 Thank you for such a supportive message 💛 You are a super 🌟
  • enlightenme3
    enlightenme3 Posts: 2,532 Member
    Options
    Oh @Mrs_Hoffer - I'm so sorry to hear about your son. Will definitely send all my good thoughts his way for a quick recovery and healing. So sad to hear that he was trying to stop others from getting hurt but ended up getting hurt himself.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @Mrs_Hoffer may your son heal quickly and find the strength to manage any difficulties ahead. He sounds like a great guy (no surprise) and it's a real shame this happened this way. God bless!
  • ideas2
    ideas2 Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    @Mrs_Hoffer I am sorry to hear about your son. Being a mom is hard at times like this. I am praying for both of you to have peace and patience.
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,142 Member
    Options
    @Mrs_Hoffer

So so sorry your son had to go through this..hope for a smooth discharge from the hospital and the best possible path to recovery.

The stress of worrying about a child can't be easy. Hugs to you as well. You'll be in my thoughts.
  • jamcnewman
    jamcnewman Posts: 4,075 Member
    Options
    @Mrs_Hoffer I am so sorry for the stress and worry your son’s injury and surgery has caused for him, his wife, and for you. Keeping him in my thoughts for a quick and full healing and recovery. Take good care of yourself in this stressful time. xo
  • snowshoe072
    snowshoe072 Posts: 4,563 Member
    Options
    @Mrs_Hoffer ouch! I do wish for a speedy and uneventful recovery. My prayers are with you and your family. Remember it’s important to take time for yourself and it’s not being selfish if you aren’t well then it’s harder to help others.
  • bookieNJ
    bookieNJ Posts: 3,649 Member
    Options
    @Mrs_Hoffer -so sorry about your son. I hope he is able to recover soon
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,007 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are with you, your son & your DIL. He sounds terrific - no surprise, knowing you as we all do! Big hugs 💕
  • Arc2Arc
    Arc2Arc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Prayers and hugs @Mrs_Hoffer.