On the verge of giving up!!!

Options
MFP and fitbit don't sync properly, haven't for years but this is the worst it has ever been. My fitbit and mfp are synced, but in order to get those exercise calories I have to disconnect then reconnect fitbit on mfp. It should be adding automatically but unless I do this trick it won't.

Replies

• gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • AKTipsyCat
    AKTipsyCat Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I rarely have this problem and I have been using MFP and Fitbit together for almost 5 years. I want to say this was a problem a few years ago for a week when everyone else seemed to have the same issue, but even though it may happen now and again, it's usually fixed in a few hours or a day or two.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    OP - you may have a specific issue going on related to your accounts.

I'd confirm you have timezones matching between accounts, DST setting the same, ect.
    Mismatches like that can cause 1 sync a day and then stop.

Also, each time you disconnect there was a sync code created between accounts, and whatever was sent for that old sync, if an issue on MFP side, causes packets to be waiting to find a home to be sent to.
    That was taken out by the disconnect and another sync code created.
    So that process really doesn't help much as you've seen.

It's not a trick either - the troubleshooting articles mention not to do it because of exactly that pile up of orphan sync packets.

Your location and other things can cause issues too - in which case creating a ticket with MFP would be helpful after confirming time info.

I had an issue where Fitbit sent packets with correct time, but only because they had the time zone and DST setting wrong. Which caused failure to receive.

Everything was visually correct - but displayed time was only correct because of that mismatch which MFP had issue with.

Fitbit fixed at some point - probably accidentally since they always said no problem on their end.
  • MayGrammato6
    MayGrammato6 Posts: 6 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    How do I sync my FitBit, and do I hve to be a premium memeber thanx, never mind it
  • kjohnson754
    kjohnson754 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    This just started happening for me too. I always use these together. It kind of stinks.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Mine was reliable for a couple of years, but recently has gone to pot. It (this week) normally fails to sync; on Monday it claims is synced but gave me a 2,500 calorie adjustment. It should have been about 300, my target is 2,400 and the Fitbit estimate was 2,700. Since Monday, it has failed to sync.
  • alveolartrill_0
    alveolartrill_0 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am also having recent syncing issues. It started Monday, the mfp food log has stopped syncing to Fitbit and Monday's Fitbit calorie adjustment was astronomical! It had been syncing well before that. I keep trying to disconnect and reconnect the apps, and double checking the logs on both accounts website dashboards, in case the issue is the app itself somehow. No improvement yet.
  • wemmsie
    wemmsie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Mine doing the same keeps disconnecting from mfp or mfp adding triple the amount of cals to my fitbit app, or not logging my steps and deducting loads of calories
  • ONUnicorn
    ONUnicorn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    All week nine has been disconnected and I've had to reconnect it every day. I thought it was just me and had something to do with changing my password, but it seems others are also having problems.
  • mps6294
    mps6294 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Been having the same issue for the last week; it worked fine up until then. I checked to see if either app has an update but not so far. I hope this resolves itself!
  • makinlifehappen
    makinlifehappen Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    meh i disconnect and reconnect if i do something i feel needs to be added
  • chrisdell21
    chrisdell21 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I was having issues recently with the two syncing. I found out that I was constantly being logged off from Fitbit on the MFP interface. I had to sync and login back in multiple days in a row. I found that after I used the website over the MFP app it stayed synced and Fitbit logged in. It took a day or two of using the website on my phone to finally get the apps to connect correctly. Not sure what the issue was and not sure how it actually started working again. It was beyond annoying and so frustrating. I hope you can get everything working soon.
  • heybales
    Options
    I was having issues recently with the two syncing. I found out that I was constantly being logged off from Fitbit on the MFP interface. I had to sync and login back in multiple days in a row. I found that after I used the website over the MFP app it stayed synced and Fitbit logged in. It took a day or two of using the website on my phone to finally get the apps to connect correctly. Not sure what the issue was and not sure how it actually started working again. It was beyond annoying and so frustrating. I hope you can get everything working soon.

This is interesting, and just to clarify for those that may not even realize it.

I'd throw in extra to log out of app prior to doing this, no need to reinstall it, just log out.

Check out if Fitbit appears as currently linked account - https://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps
    Under Your Apps, or if Fitbit icon says Get like the others, it means it's not Installed.
    Do the Get process so it is installed and linked.

I'd suggest check out what is considered the step source for linked accounts afterwards - https://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps/step_trackers
    Should be Fitbit of course.

Actually, I could see a confusion issue if you had Fitbit selected as Step Source, but didn't have linked accounts (which is a valid setting, just not the same or as nice), and then went and linked accounts.

Perhaps toggle Step Tracking Device to Don't track steps first, then see if the accounts are linked.
    If yes, great, go set the step source again to Fitbit.
    If no, link accounts, then confirm step source is back to Fitbit.

There are several option changes that should be done prior to disconnecting a linked account that isn't working.
    That just causes Fitbit incoming packets destined for a matching sync to be orphaned as a new one is setup. It's still to the same MFP account, but besides that there is a configured sync data.
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I am having this same issue. This feature used to work wonderfully and then it suddenly stopped. I did all the troubleshooting… got a new Fitbit (sense) and still the same issue. It only logs my steps after I immediately download the app and then stops unless I do it all over again. It has to be a tech issue between Fitbit and MFP. I have to admit, this has decreased my engagement with MFP
  • heybales
    Options
    I am having this same issue. This feature used to work wonderfully and then it suddenly stopped. I did all the troubleshooting… got a new Fitbit (sense) and still the same issue. It only logs my steps after I immediately download the app and then stops unless I do it all over again. It has to be a tech issue between Fitbit and MFP. I have to admit, this has decreased my engagement with MFP

Do you try any of the steps on all the other posts?
    The app easily allows skipping what could be all the useful required info and going straight to post your issue matching the original post.
  • Leg112
    Leg112 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been using MFP and Fitbit for 4 years and it stopped syncing activity 9/1/22. Tried all the steps posted on here and fitbit pages but nothing has worked. I was tempted to re-instate Premium but very unlikely now with these issues.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I was having syncing problems. I finally got it to work. This is what I had to do:

1) disconnect my charge 5 from the Fitbit app
    2) uninstall both MFP and Fitbit apps
    3) reinstall both apps
    4) pair the charge 5 to the Fitbit app —> this step was extremely frustrating and took several attempts to get the phone to recognize the Fitbit.
    5) check MFP settings —> connect with Fitbit and endsure mfp was set to read data from Fitbit.

Now, the daily calorie expenditure from Fitbit shows up in MFP.

I had hoped that the Fitbit workouts would show up in mfp. But I found an article in the help that clearly indicates that doesn’t exist.

I hope the others are able to get their syncing to work.
  • heybales
    Options
    I was having syncing problems. I finally got it to work. This is what I had to do:

3) reinstall both apps
    4) pair the charge 5 to the Fitbit app —> this step was extremely frustrating and took several attempts to get the phone to recognize the Fitbit.
    5) check MFP settings —> connect with Fitbit and endsure mfp was set to read data from Fitbit.

I had hoped that the Fitbit workouts would show up in mfp. But I found an article in the help that clearly indicates that doesn’t exist.

Have you had a couple days to confirm the fix sticks?
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

3) reinstall both apps

Have you had a couple days to confirm the fix sticks?

Yes! I haven’t had another problem with syncing.