Waistaways Team Chat - MARCH 2022

Replies

• MoonlitMuse
    MoonlitMuse Posts: 88 Member
    @ashleycarole86 Nice to meet a fellow Ashley :) And literally, the directions to my house involve "follow the sign that points to Canada" - I'm about 30 miles from the border, so we're definitely almost neighbors!

@SatanLuciferJones Welcome! Can we call you Luci (I'm a big Supernatural fan)?
  • MoonlitMuse
    Hey! I also meant to ask - is anyone else here a Garmin user? If so, I'd love to connect :)
  • PlaneMonkey
    PlaneMonkey Posts: 568 Member
    CW 194.8
    'food in transit' is to blame! Sorry team. Going to refocus not that spring is arriving and injuries are healing.

Welcome @MoonlitMuse and @SatanLuciferJones!
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,013 Member
    Whirlwind Wednesday!
    I finally have a minute to sit here and catch up - and I totally forgot to nag the Wednesday people last night :wink: Guess you don't need me! They are coming in just fine :smiley:

I saw my physio/osteo person this morning, and hoo boy, it was a session and a half. I feel a lot better now, but a bit slow and tired. She said I might - we're just working on more of the crookedness that grew out of my year of sitting on one buttock and still getting used to a fairly large area of scar tissue that also pushes me a bit askew. So I am askew, and finding new ways to re-align that might not be perfect, but they work better.

@SatanLuciferJones welcome! Dive right on in, introduce yourself, and ask any questions you may have. We're spread around many countries in Europe, North and South America. Love to have new folk to renew our energy and keep us on our game.

@micki48 So good to "hear" your voice! I'm glad the unpacking is galloping along.
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,119 Member
    Hey! I also meant to ask - is anyone else here a Garmin user? If so, I'd love to connect :)

@bowens1973 and I are.. just let me know what I need to give you to add me - does this work?
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/c4ae5068-aa1c-4b8e-a534-991006196406

Brad and I are off to Ontario for a week! First time for me to be seeing his family since the pandemic began.. long time overdue and we are so lucky we recovered in time to go. Phew.

Looking forward to not feeling stressed about the seat belt on the plane!!
  • jugar

@bowens1973 and I are.. just let me know what I need to give you to add me - does this work?
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/c4ae5068-aa1c-4b8e-a534-991006196406

Brad and I are off to Ontario for a week! First time for me to be seeing his family since the pandemic began.. long time overdue and we are so lucky we recovered in time to go. Phew.

Looking forward to not feeling stressed about the seat belt on the plane!!

You're going to be so much closer! Have a lovely time, lots of stories, good food, walks, seat belts, and something unexpected.
  • jugar
    There is a concern I frequently visit in my mind. There seems to be a very strong directive that we all need more protein. I am extremely hesitant about this - here is a recent article, but I would love to hear your experiences.
    https://greatist.com/eat/is-high-protein-necessary?slot_pos=article_1&utm_source=Sailthru Email&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=daily&utm_content=2022-03-30&utm_term=interest_C&apid=31124695&rvid=707f1635d182e42de1ddac3f590edecc06c7e4a09f7cad98ed846d2fb3f7487d#On-the-other-hand,-overdoing-it-on-protein-is-a-real-possibility-

If I had to put my diet into a box, I guess it would be Mediterranean. Mostly plant-based, some fish, not too much grain, very little refined flour. Certainly not low carb, I rarely worry about protein in any way. I keep fats reasonable, and mostly from nuts and seeds. It has worked well for me. I know that not everyone is similar, but we are also not all athletes who need to seriously pack on the protein. What do you think?
  • KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    Hello team,
    Sony, I didn't mean to ghost the group. We went to Scottsdale for Spring Break and then we all get sick. This is third time we have gotten sick this year, which is crazy!!! We usually only get one bug a year. I have not stepped on the scale in 3ish weeks. I don't think it has changed at all.

@ashleycarole86 Can I please rejoin the step team for April? My steps last week were horrible, but the week before were actually good.🤷‍♀️

@jugar I don't know how much protein people need, I have read different theories on the topic, BUT I 100% agree that people need to read ingredients. A lot of food that is marketed as high protein or keto are actually full of yucky fillers and sweetners. I do make protein shakes with an organic vegan protein, fruit, veggies, and chia seeds because it is a quick healthy breakfast that will keep me full. I feel better when eat a cleaner diet- veggies, fruit, lean meats, rice, quinoa, potatoes - but I have a hard time following that kind of diet. I eat to much cheese and processed carbs.

@micki48 Glad you are settled!
  • jugar
    @KellyBgetsfit so good to see you! It sounds like you have been going through quite the ordeal. You'll get past it and in the meantime, take it as slow as you need to. Thanks for your ingredients reminder - it can be astounding how many ingredients there are to make things have a "better" texture, more sweetness, etc. etc. Cheese is not so bad, though! It will be good to have your steps in the mix - we'll be back to full strength soon!

Quick reminder for weigh-ins:
    @kdblpn - last chance! we have not seen you in a couple of weeks :disappointed:

due Thursday:
    @bowens1973
    @evangsimmons170
  • KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    CW 149.6

I was hoping for a little a lower, but I was also scared I had hit 150, so I guess it isn't horrible.
  • jugar
    CW 149.6

I was hoping for a little a lower, but I was also scared I had hit 150, so I guess it isn't horrible.

it is amazing how much a small inanimate device can make us scared. Or the number - which is even less tangible! In any case, well done to stay under the big zero :smiley:
  • conleywoods
    conleywoods Posts: 975 Member
    @jugar I think the protien conversation around here at least is generally focused around weight loss/building muscle. I will have to wait and read the article on my break at work. Many of the groups of people around the world who live to 100 seem to eat on the lower protien side of the equation. Weight loss and looking a certain way may not always be the same as longevity?
  • MoonlitMuse
    jugar wrote: »
    There is a concern I frequently visit in my mind. There seems to be a very strong directive that we all need more protein. I am extremely hesitant about this - here is a recent article, but I would love to hear your experiences.
    https://greatist.com/eat/is-high-protein-necessary?slot_pos=article_1&utm_source=Sailthru Email&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=daily&utm_content=2022-03-30&utm_term=interest_C&apid=31124695&rvid=707f1635d182e42de1ddac3f590edecc06c7e4a09f7cad98ed846d2fb3f7487d#On-the-other-hand,-overdoing-it-on-protein-is-a-real-possibility-

If I had to put my diet into a box, I guess it would be Mediterranean. Mostly plant-based, some fish, not too much grain, very little refined flour. Certainly not low carb, I rarely worry about protein in any way. I keep fats reasonable, and mostly from nuts and seeds. It has worked well for me. I know that not everyone is similar, but we are also not all athletes who need to seriously pack on the protein. What do you think?

I'm not able to read the article at the moment - but as a registered dietitian, I feel like I can give my 2-cents. We tend to be a very protein-centric society with lots of people feeling that the more protein the better. Unfortunately, sometimes research is taken out of context or only bits and pieces discussed on highly prevalent platforms with lots of viewers. Case-in-point, my thesis advisor at the Ohio State University (who does a TON with NHANES) published an article that discusses how many older adults tend to lack in the protein department. However, I saw several websites (like MindBodyGreen) take that article and refer to it as people in general instead of a select population. The result? Lots of people think they need more protein. Lots of fitness influences and so-called "nutritionists" (WHICH IS NOT REGULATED SO DON'T TAKE THE TERM TO MEAN MUCH) talk about 1-2g of protein per lb of body weight. Yes - research is finding a *bit* more protein is beneficial for weight loss, but NOT that crazy amount. Our bodies can only process about 2g/kg (not per lb), however, we generally recommend .8-1g/kg or up to 1.5g/kg for those who are bulking, fighting infections, have healing wounds, etc. Too much protein can be damaging to your kidneys (which is why we restrict those with later-stage CKD). Lean proteins, in moderate amounts should be plenty. If you want to go percentage of calories - 20-30% is a good range (the higher end only if you're really doing a lot of resistance training). @jugar - your eating pattern makes me happy :)
  • jugar
    @MoonlitMuse thanks for the info on protein - it is fabulous having a registered dietician on the team. Your 2 cents is probably worth 2$. There is so much information available, but not all of it is reliable, that is for sure. You're welcome to chime in on any of those confusing issues any time!
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,253 Member
    @MoonlitMuse Thanks for your expert analysis on protein.

@jugar I often find protein is the macro that I am short on. Unfortunately, it’s usually fat that I’m over. In any case, I sometimes try to get my protein up a bit, but mostly I find that if I am hungry and focus on profit my snack, it usually satiates me best. I usually go for some almonds or cheese.

My whole diet these last few months has been the weirdest experience like never before. I think uncontrolled anxiety had a lot to do with it. I am normally not an overly anxious person. I didn’t really feel anxious in my mind, but my whole body was feeling the effects of it. If that even makes sense. My GI track was a mess. I had little appetite, often felt nauseous. Thought I was dying or had something terrible wrong with me. Pain in my side. I was really quite a mess. I would get hungry, then feel full after a few bites. It was a nice run of drops on the scale, but I did NOT feel good. I feel MUCH better now (not anxious), my bowels are back to normal and I have my appetite again. However, it may be too indulgent. We are busy having all the foods we missed not living in the area for 11 years. We ate at a place last night famous for their shakes, burgers, and fries. The shake was delicious, but even though I wanted the burger (and ate it) I found it to be very greasy. Not used to that. So, it’s done. I don’t think I will need to go back for quite some time. I have been getting my Wawa coffee on a few occasions. Nothing wrong with coffee, but can’t resist the creamer. I think that will be a treat weekly. We did discover an amazing bakery very near our house. I will have to be very careful with that one.

I did Pilates this morning, but I have not yet found my groove for my routine or just life in general. We are living a different life. There is a lot to learn and adjust to, but life is good. We are meeting neighbors and I am seeing old friends.

Not sure that tomorrow’s weigh in will be helpful to our team. If it’s bad, you may just want to put me on support or give me another excused. I need to get my head back into the game. Also after weeks of great steps, they are now trailing off as I have less pressure to get things done.

I’ll get there, but it may take me a bit to get back in the swing of things. Happy to make time to check in tho.

Ashley and Brad—enjoy your vacation. You too Amber. Rhonda, glad you had a great honeymoon overall. Kristi hugs to you for all you are going through. Have a great spring break. Kelly sorry to hear your family got sick on vacation. Thank you all for your kind words and support these last few months. I appreciate it. You are all the best!!
  • micki48
    I cannot upload anything anymore. Anyone having that issue? Not sure if it’s a me problem or MFP.
  • micki48
    @ashleycarole86

3/13 9,046
    3/14 12,792
    3/15 10,416
    3/16 12,060
    3/17 9,458
    3/18 9,139
    3/19 11,346

3/20 10,206
    3/21 19,126 !!!!
    3/22 16,544
    3/23 9,959
    3/24 8,114
    3/25 10,457
    3/26 11,055
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,119 Member
    edited April 2022
    Hey @jugar
    bowens1973 wrote: »
    Username: Bowens1973
    PW: 169.2
    CW: 172
    Gain: 2.8

Saw Brad's name on your list so just wanted to ensure you saw he weighed in a day early like me. We'll be back to Thursdays next week :)

Absolutely happy to have your numbers back for April @KellyBgetsfit and sorry to hear your family got sick again!

@micki48 My uploads are mostly working - but I've seen lots of other people mentioning problems in other forums. Thanks for the steps! Your story about the effects of anxiety on your body was rough - glad to hear that is mostly subsiding. Hopefully you are enjoying the settling in to the new life but it will take a while to get back to feeling into routine I'm sure.

Things are great here in Ontario. Didn't have time for exercise today as we got less than 5 hours of sleep and spent time driving north from Toronto to see Brad's mom and sister... it was great being in the same place after these last couple years! We have a nice walk around town planned for tomorrow.

Exercise catch-up:
    3/28-7510 steps + 68 minutes Peloton
    3/29-8768 steps + 21 minutes strength training + 77 minutes Peloton
    3/30-7449 steps
This discussion has been closed.