Hi, Fellow Diabetics

mstull306
mstull306 Posts: 17 Member
Hi, I’m Melissa. I’m 42 and been a diabetic as long as I can remember. It started off as gestational diabetes 16 1/2 years ago when I was pregnant with my daughter, but I don’t remember what year I got the official diagnosis as Type 2. I just know that I need a lot of help to lose weight and get healthier. I eat a lot of junk food, don’t exercise regularly and we have Taco Tuesday every week after my daughter’s piano lesson when we order in from a Mexican restaurant. Other than that, I do all the cooking.

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    Welcome! Are you on meds? Do they seem to be working? Do you check glucose?
  • judyvalentine10
    judyvalentine10 Posts: 65 Member
    I'm a junk food junky as well. I'm pretty sure if you start by giving up junk food, you'll see a difference. When I say junk food, I mean chips and chocolate bars, licorice, that kind of thing. I don't eat out much at all. Once a month I may go out for a burger.
    Since it's very hard to know what is in a restaurant meal, can you make your own tacos? I have trouble staying on an exercise regiment too. Set a goal each week, and challenge yourself to reach that goal. Doesn't have to be a big goal, baby steps.
    Good luck.
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Hello, I was here a few years ago. I lost a lot of weight and was on keto. Well, present day, my AC is up to 8.3, and I know I have to get back on track, but, i don't want to. I'm sick of diabetes and all the crud you have to go thru. I have to see my dr on 4/29, and do not want him to put me on insulin. So tired of this, any advise appreciated and how to motivate myself again.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    kamaperry wrote: »
    Hello, I was here a few years ago. I lost a lot of weight and was on keto. Well, present day, my AC is up to 8.3, and I know I have to get back on track, but, i don't want to. I'm sick of diabetes and all the crud you have to go thru. I have to see my dr on 4/29, and do not want him to put me on insulin. So tired of this, any advise appreciated and how to motivate myself again.

I say get back on keto if that worked for you. It is a struggle, and we can all relate I think.