WaistAways Team Chat - MAY 2022

Options

Replies

• MoonlitMuse
    MoonlitMuse Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Sorry I'm late! I didn't have a chance to get my weight in yesterday. I'm trying to skim everyones posts but I think I'm going to end up sort of quiet this week. It's a busy week for me - I'm going to have a health fair display at the local college all day tomorrow and I'm teaching the Servsafe food handler program Thursday and then on Friday I'll be meeting with the GM at East Glacier Lodge about teaching yoga/wellness to their workers and guests.

Anyhooooo

MFP Calorie Goal: 14143
    MFP Calorie Intake: 11965
    MFP Prediction: -2178 (-.6lbs)

Garmin Calorie Burn: 14665
    Garmin Calorie Intake: 11965
    Garmin Prediction: -2700 (-.77lbs)

PW: 140.4
    CW: 140.4

So I should've lost at least a little something, but nothing budged. Now - I AM doing a lot of hypertrophy work, and things are feeling/fitting a little differently, so maybe I'm doing a bit of a body comp shift (hopefully)

My weekends are still crap although I tweaked my shoulder/neck last Tuesday and have been nursing that for the past week. I did manage to get some yoga in on Sunday, but missed out on my long run (even when it's "warm" it's sooooo windy that it's miserable to run in it). Then yesterday I had to run errands during lunch and didn't get my workout in. It's thrown me completely off so I really have to work to make it up for the rest of the week instead of falling into the trap of thinking everything is shot.

I'll try to catch up on everyone's posts when I get the chance and hope you're all having a great week!
  • Kali225
    Kali225 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Tuesday Weigh-in

CW: 259.2

Oof. Another all-time high. Not sure if I should keep doing my weekly weigh-ins here if I'm just going to keep gaining? Definitely having a lazy/down day.

@conleywoods what teacher trouble! hope the kids are looking forward to summer break at least!
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,100 Member
    Options
    Kali225 wrote: »
    Oof. Another all-time high. Not sure if I should keep doing my weekly weigh-ins here if I'm just going to keep gaining? Definitely having a lazy/down day.

I think it is fantastic that you keep going with the weekly weigh-ins. When I was teaching music full-time, I INSISTED that students keep playing through the mistakes, not stop just before them when you feel it is going to happen. Our brains don't fix it if it isn't an actual, for real, splattered all around the room mistake. So love those mistakes because they catch our brain's attention and make you fix it! Please hang in there. I don't care if the team stats get warped a bit. That is people learning.

On the other hand, if you really want to take a break from tracking for a bit but want to stick with the team until you're ready to do the weekly weigh-ins, you can go on support and still post with the team. Let me know what you think would be best, but do not worry about gaining while weighing in. You'll turn it around faster sometimes if you don't stop.
  • jugar
    edited May 2022
    Options
    @Kali225 You are inspiring with the meticulous tracking and the wellness work! I think your static weight might be due to the "tweaking" of your shoulder and neck - we retain and create liquid at those times, and it will pass once the inflammation calms down. Have a great week even if you can't be here much! :heart:

@JEB03253 Welcome! Dive right in and introduce yourself, ask any questions, and get ready for your first month with us!
  • PlaneMonkey
    PlaneMonkey Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Our electricity is back! Is there anything as satisfying as that first hot shower after a long drought? Feels so good. Much better than propane stove heated sponge baths!

I will miss the unintentional exercise of filling water buckets and lugging them up 5 flights of stairs every time I want to flush a toilet or wash a dish, but I will do my best to fill the new void in my life with all the piled up laundry and vacuuming..... It's like we have been camping for 4 days. I don't know how people do it!

Back on track with logging food tomorrow. And water.... How I have missed water! Sweet, wonderful, clean running water!!! Ohh the things we don't realize we should cherish until they are gone.

Night everyone, I'm exhausted!
  • jugar
    Options
    @PlaneMonkey enjoy that water!!! good news.

Wednesday weigh-ins - here you come!
    @AshenMoon
    @KellyBgetsFit

Thanks!
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,141 Member
    Options
    zo1fncrklm4t.png
  • ashleycarole86
    Options
    5/23 exercise:
    15,521 steps

@PlaneMonkey So glad your power is back on.. that was quite the lengthy outage

@conleywoods Wow - that sounds like an intense situation at the school for sure.

I had a nice night but I'm on call for work and there was an issue so it did tie up a bit of time. So, a little bit later here than I wanted to be, so I can't stay long. Luckily I was on the Peloton when the issue occurred so I was able to finish my workout before I handled it!
  • once_mas
    once_mas Posts: 160 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    jugar wrote: »
    If you're really quick there is time to get your weigh-in for Week 3! I'm doing the tallies later than usual, and there is still a bit of time to squeak in...
    @Pearl4686
    @happimess01
    @once_mas

Sunday folks - @BlissfulK has you off to a great start :smiley:
    @deniners2
    @YinxFed
    @Gidgitgoescrazy

@jugar
    Sorry I was late, the down mood phase this time took too much time, barely could check my phone and apps. I will be on time next week.

once_mas
    Saturday
    Prev week 65kg
    Current week 64.9kg
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I've missed you guys too - will try to be a bit more active in the chat as our 'crazy-busy' phase is over, and now we're just super-busy ;)

Welcome to the new members! <3

I stepped on the scales this morning and it was a gain, but not as bad as I was fearing. I thought I was going to be over my highest/starting weight, so I feel better for facing up to that. I had another therapy session yesterday, and now we'll be challenging those unhelpful/self-critical thoughts - hopefully there'll be some good progress.

The plasterers finished in our bedroom yesterday, so the windows are open wide to help dry it out quicker. I'm going to do what I can - like cleaning and prepping the woodwork, maybe even the woodwork priming - whilst I wait. Depending on when the plaster dries I should have 3-5 days longer to get it decorated than I anticipated.

Bed 2 at the allotment is complete - red onions, garlic and strawberries. We have a little space left but probably not going to fill it. I think it's starting to look more like an allotment with rows of plants there - the potatoes are in the foreground but mounded over so you couldn't really tell.

kdq1p88fb5u4.jpg
  • KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    PW 152.2
    CW 151.4

I gained 2.5lbs in a week, at the beginning of May. I did not eat 9,000ish calories above maintenance that week. I had a few days that were at maintenance or slightly higher. I really thought it was water weight, but I am still not back down after 2 weeks.
  • jugar
    Options
    I gained 2.5lbs in a week, at the beginning of May. I did not eat 9,000ish calories above maintenance that week. I had a few days that were at maintenance or slightly higher. I really thought it was water weight, but I am still not back down after 2 weeks.

That is frustrating, but you're losing now - I think the "definition" of water weight deserves those quote marks - so many factors go into whether we hold on to weight, put it on fast, or all the other things. I find I hit an immediate gain when eating flour regularly, for example, not to mention the difficulty of figuring out how many calories we are actually needing on any particular day. Maintenance # of calories is like water weight - all over the place! One book that helped me understand some of the invisible factors in digestion was The End of Craving by Mark Schatzker. Crazy interesting, and fortified flours, supplements, texturizers, etc. all play a role in they way we absorb calories and develop cravings.
  • PlaneMonkey
    PlaneMonkey Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I'm going to request both of Mark Schatzker's books and the Influencer from my local library. Knowledge is power. I love the logic behind cognition and choices we make and just wish my husband would read more on food and digestion theories instead of using me as his google machine and food police. I've learned to accept his disappointed looks when he says "let's get poutine for dinner" and I respond with "you go ahead, I don't want one". If I'm not having one, it makes him realize he shouldn't either, so then he pouts and goes without, but it's better for both of us health-wise. I'm not denying him what he wants, I will just no longer self-sabotage and enable whenever I can maintain the discipline to put my goals and heath first.

That's one of the biggest growth points for me during this journey. knowing I don't have to participate in other's food choices, and being able to say no to short term satisfying tastes that don't help my goals. I can still eat the foods, but I make better choices with the timing and portion sizes.

I also find now that I'm down 50lbs, that I'm always jogging and running around the property, up and down the stairs. I'm a bouncing energizer bunny with full-charge batteries. There is no walking, only run. So weird!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,437 Member
    Options
    Hi WA's ...Another new member joining your amazing team .. Please welcome @Athletatrade :)
  • jugar
    Options
    Welcome @Athletatrade ! We're looking forward to getting to know you and hope that the team is going to help you get to your goals. Tell us a bit about yourself, and ask any questions you may have - thanks!
  • jugar
    Options
    @DD265 I was thinking of you while out hoeing, digging, planting this week! It sure gives a good workout, and hopefully later some amazing eating. It is also good to hear about your therapy and stuff you are working on - it is extraordinary how many sciences are involved in eating right for each of us - biology, chemistry, psychology, endocrinology, the list goes on.

@PlaneMonkey running everywhere. So good!!!
  • Kali225
    Kali225 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    @jugar some of my poor mood has passed (although my time of the month is due in a day so brace yourselves) and I think you're quite right on continuing to weigh in. I very much regretted when I stepped away from the team in March 2021 I think - it's getting hard to keep track of the years with covid. I'm not very optimistic about next week since I'm going to a family party on Saturday where they are roasting a whole pig + plenty more food I'm sure, and Sunday is a 1-day vacation with my mother.

But. Today was very productive for my job search and very on track with calories/movement/health. Yay. And I'm going to try to limit the effects of a food-heavy weekend by doing the following:
    1. No alcohol! I really don't drink that much but I am officially cutting it out, perhaps for the whole summer.
    2. Getting a walk in both Saturday and Sunday + 1 day of yoga.
    3. Bringing my water bottle to keep hydration up and add to feeling full.

I upped the ante today on my hill walk by going all the way over to the other side and back home, so uphill in 2 directions! ~50 min and my foot still feels okay, which is super news. Planning to feel the calves and glutes tomorrow. :)
  • ashleycarole86
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Very envious of all you gardeners and green thumbs! We have a very simple yard - no plants, one tree that we are trying to keep alive.. I am definitely one of those people that gets gifted a house plant that dies right away. Needless to say, there's no veggie growing happening here, but man it's the best to think of having access to freshly grown veggies!

I am finding the three days at the office to be just plain hectic! My alarm goes at 5:30, I'm out the door for 6:25, and usually not home until close to 6. By the time we make supper, do dishes, pack lunches, and walk the dog, it's almost bed time! If I can get a go on the Peloton, it comes at the expense of sleep, which isn't great. Serves me right for building outside Calgary I guess ;) Anyway, just observing.... I am still making the best choices I can considering the circumstances, but I am very much reminded of why starting this lifestyle change during the COVID lockdowns made life easier!

Back for weigh-in tomorrow! Feeling good that it'll be back into my intended maintenance range. Brad and I are travelling to Vancouver Fri-Sun, so it will require a lot of discpline to stay in it next week for week 2 in a row... but that's my goal! We had a super cool intense hike challenge thing planned but rain is in the forecast (when is it not) and it might not be safe... well we'll see what we can do!

Anyway, I have a Thursday to tackle first :) See you in the morning!
  • ashleycarole86
    Options
    5/24 exercise:
    12,368 steps + 47 minutes Peloton
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    That's one of the biggest growth points for me during this journey. knowing I don't have to participate in other's food choices, and being able to say no to short term satisfying tastes that don't help my goals. I can still eat the foods, but I make better choices with the timing and portion sizes.

I realised yesterday that instead of following rules (when it comes to food, exercise etc) I ought to view it as making choices. I chose not to snack on chocolate throughout the day yesterday, opting for fruit/chicken instead, then I chose to have a smaller portion of chocolate in the evening instead.
    Very envious of all you gardeners and green thumbs! We have a very simple yard - no plants, one tree that we are trying to keep alive.. I am definitely one of those people that gets gifted a house plant that dies right away. Needless to say, there's no veggie growing happening here, but man it's the best to think of having access to freshly grown veggies!

I am finding the three days at the office to be just plain hectic! My alarm goes at 5:30, I'm out the door for 6:25, and usually not home until close to 6. By the time we make supper, do dishes, pack lunches, and walk the dog, it's almost bed time! If I can get a go on the Peloton, it comes at the expense of sleep, which isn't great. Serves me right for building outside Calgary I guess ;) Anyway, just observing.... I am still making the best choices I can considering the circumstances, but I am very much reminded of why starting this lifestyle change during the COVID lockdowns made life easier!

Yesterday I found out that straw bale gardening is a thing - no soil etc needed and you can put a straw bale anywhere. It sounds really simple and apparently it can be great for discouraging pests as well; you should look it up!

Could you use a slow cooker or have batch cooked meals to reheat for your office days? You might then get a 10 minute sprint on the Peloton whilst the food was reheating. It's very difficult when we want/feel like we should do so many things and can't reasonably fit them all into the day - I am learning to not set such high expectations. I definitely get sick of batch cooked foods (sometimes I want something made fresh like a stir fry) but I make sure if there's an evening appointment or whatever, it's a quick/easy batch cooked meal to be reheated.
This discussion has been closed.