Shape Shifters Team Chat - JULY 2022

Replies

• jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,009 Member
    @Nataliewr0403 I never saw a response...if you have steps for Jun 26 - Jul 1st, I can record those for you as well. Our stats for July began on Jun 26th. Let me know. Thanks! Jessica
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,307 Member
    @jax_grim - I’m glad you got some preliminary information from the doctor and good news that the prognosis is so promising. It’s great that you’re already well along the road to making the healthy changes needed to reverse your heart problems. Good work! I’m guessing the initial report is motivating you to continue to refine your healthy habits. I’ll bet you’ll be even healthier when the 30-day monitoring is complete. 👍🏼
  • bassclef
    bassclef Posts: 29 Member
    @Jax_Grim I wish you well as you gather data regarding your heart. Getting answers and a plan will be a relief.
  • SavageMrsMoose
    SavageMrsMoose Posts: 633 Member
    @lauriw
    Steps:
    7/9 9,281
    7/10 7,657
    7/11 4,427
    Low steps yesterday, my husband had chemo & was sick - I was exhausted & tired - it rained off and on & was humid so no walk during lunch or after dinner

I'm so sorry about your husband. I started my dog on chemo yesterday after much mental wrestling, and as hard as that has been, I can't imagine what it feels like going through this with your spouse. Sending virtual hugs.

@bassclef I am the same way! So good in the morning, worse as the day goes on... If I complete my diary, its very likely I'm under calories! If not, probably not.

I had a rough day yesterday. Took my golden in for a bunch of tests to determine if he had any other sarcomas or if the sarcoma they found had metastisized. I found myself to be super anxious.

I thought exercise might help and did my speed workout on the treadmill, but I'd gotten a blister on my heel from the day before and it was excruciating! I finished though and managed 20 minutes on the bike and a short arms workout. Felt a bit better.

By the evening, when I picked up Buddy from his first round of chemo, I just said screw it. Greasy hamburger with onion rings and red wine and gummy bears for dinner. Didn't want to log it.

Honestly, I'm a bit hung over- from the food too I think. Going to my husband's follow up appointment for his hip surgery. He's doing great! So well he thinks he doesn't need the other one done. I think he will end up doing this in a year or so, when things get really bad again. We will see.

• JenHul
    JenHul Posts: 355 Member
    @SavageMrsMoose & @bassclef I'm in the same boat as you guys as well.
    I start off really good for breakfast (when I eat it, usually run out of time before work) then coffee snack and lunch is logged. After getting home from work, making supper, eating, cleaning up and trying to go for a walk. I usually forget, or just to lazy to log the rest of my day.
    I really want to work on this, and my water intake as well. My diary is open for all my friends to see, I'm honest on my logging (even the naughty stuff) when I remember to log ;)
    Good luck everyone on your goals! Have a great Wednesday :smiley:
  • JenHul
    JenHul Posts: 355 Member
    Good Morning,
    July 10 Steps = 6077
    July 11 Steps = 14,989
    July 12 Steps = 9,503

Only got out for a walk Monday night as my steps show. Hoping to go tonite if we don't get a thunderstorm.

• LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,241 Member
    Current Maintenance Weigh In
    Bad day yesterday-ended up taking my husband to ER b/c he had blood in his stool-ran blood test, etc everything came back normal - then last night right after he ate, he threw up - I wasn't home I was getting a cut/color
    So we see cancer dr next Wednesday to see what will happen - I don't think my hubby can continue on the chemo b/c he gets so sick
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,241 Member
    Tracking- I track, but I'm not making the best choices for myself I try every dam day - I hope that each day will be better but then it goes to CRAP
  • CasandraW
    CasandraW Posts: 510 Member
    Tracking - I don't track. I struggle to track in a healthy way, it's like it becomes a challenge to eat as little as possible. Then I restrict for so long that I binge.

My current solution is that I tend to eat the same things every day and have logged them all at one point or another so I have an idea of what the nutritional value is. I stick to these foods in reasonable quantities while allowing myself some allowance to have things that I crave. Just trying to avoid restricting foods, or labeling certain foods as "bad" or "junk". My relationship with food has improved greatly over the past year and I have tried to remove the some of the socials ties to food. Like having a holiday get together and not making it all about the food or overindulgence.
  • Nataliewr0403
    Nataliewr0403 Posts: 71 Member
    @jessicakrall8
    Here are my steps for Jun 26 - Jul 2:
    6/26. 8033
    6/27. 6864
    6/28. 8869
    6/29. 6574, 30 min rower
    6/30. 6882
    7/1. 7434
    7/2. 4658, 40 min rower
    I found a site that tells me for every minute of rowing is 212 steps…but that is way to high, that would be 6360 steps for 30 minutes don’t you think?

• izzyred9400
    izzyred9400 Posts: 882 Member
    I log my food throughout the day but if I have snacks late in the evening I don't always add them.I haven't looked at my macros for a few months now.I always log food after I've eaten it.Unless I'm really organised & pre plan my meals & then log them.But this in reality rarely happens 🤔

@LaurieWrobo I don't wonder you're struggling to stay on track.You are doing so well just attempting to keep up after all you've been through.I'm sorry your husband is feeling so ill with the chemo.2 of my close family went through the same thing.
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,009 Member
    @jessicakrall8
    Here are my steps for Jun 26 - Jul 2:

7/2. 4658, 40 min rower
    I found a site that tells me for every minute of rowing is 212 steps…but that is way to high, that would be 6360 steps for 30 minutes don’t you think?

@nataliewr0403 I had the 2nd recorded as 4837. Which is correct please? Thanks!
    Jessica
  • Susanna527
    Susanna527 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Evenin' all :) Swooping in for a quick hello, hugs all around & thanks for the well wishes. I worked from 7am yesterday til 9pm last night, and had a killer day today. I really wanted to stick around tonight & catch up on posts, but I'm exhausted - hope to have more bandwidth for personal screen time tomorrow :) Have a great night! (or morning, or afternoon)!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited July 2022
    It's Wellness Wednesday

This week, it feels as though many Shape Shifters can benefit from deep breathing to relieve stress. There are so many benefits of focused breathing. It can help with the following and there is more information available here.
    • Anxiety
    • Depression
    • Managing stress
    • Improving focus
    • Better sleep
    • Faster recovery from exercise or exertion

Here's an example of Box Breathing or Square Breathing, which is an easy way to get started.

If you prefer a UK version, here's another Box Breathing example

In my work, we sometimes use this fun-looking video with students; so, I thought some Shape Shifter parents might like to use the breathing practice with their children.

" https://youtu.be/YKxV07cisPA"]

I'm sure many of you have your "go to" resources to relieve stress but here are some specific links that seemed relevant to our group, in case you are interested.

Be well, Shape Shifter friends!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    I'm sharing some information on the Thirst-Quenching Thursday topic that builds on some of the great examples shared by Shape Shifters last week.

Has anyone tried to increase water intake since our teammates posted ideas that work for them?

I'm sharing an exerpt from an article that cites a number of tips dedicated to getting enough water.

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) dietary guidelines are known as "MyPlate," which includes a top ten nutrition guide for making better beverage choices.

Make Better Beverage Choices

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has also created a list of helpful tips if you think you are not getting enough water:
    • Carry a water bottle for easy access when you are at work, school or running errands
    • Freeze some freezer safe water bottles. Take one with you for ice-cold water all day long
    • Choose water instead of sugar-sweetened beverages (helps with weight management)
    • Choose water when eating out (save money and reduce calories).
    • Add a wedge of lime or lemon to your water (improve the taste)

"Staying hydrated is incredibly important, it helps keep your body healthy and happy. For more information about MyPlate, please go to choosemyplate.gov. For more information about the CDC, please go to cdc.gov.

References:
    MyPlate and United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)
    Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
  • kcpond
    kcpond Posts: 648 Member
    User: kcpond

Weigh In Day: Wednesday
    PW (Previous Weight): 246.5
    CW (Current Weight):247.8
  • SavageMrsMoose
    SavageMrsMoose Posts: 633 Member
    Current Maintenance Weigh In
    Bad day yesterday-ended up taking my husband to ER b/c he had blood in his stool-ran blood test, etc everything came back normal - then last night right after he ate, he threw up - I wasn't home I was getting a cut/color
    So we see cancer dr next Wednesday to see what will happen - I don't think my hubby can continue on the chemo b/c he gets so sick

Hugs. Just hugs
This discussion has been closed.