Shape Shifters Team Chat - JULY 2022

Replies

• Nataliewr0403
    Nataliewr0403 Posts: 71 Member

@jessicakrall8
    Here are my steps for Jun 26 - Jul 2:

@nataliewr0403 I had the 2nd recorded as 4837. Which is correct please? Thanks!
    Jessica
    Jessica, please use 4858
  • Yukie_OP
    Yukie_OP Posts: 259 Member
    Quick check-in to update steps @jessicakrall8. I'll pop in at a later time to read others posts.
    Yukie_OP (goal 6k)
    7/11- 4420
    7/12 - 6235
    7/13 - 6080
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,009 Member
    edited July 2022
    REMINDER

Missing weigh-ins so far for this week (incl today):
    @coblujay (x2)
    @angmarie28
    @StacyAru

Please report in promptly...thanks!

Jessica
  • izzyred9400
    izzyred9400 Posts: 882 Member
    My steps
    7/12 17,791
    7/13 16,019
    7/14 17,861
    @jessicakrall8

• LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,241 Member
    Steps:
    7/12 8,305
    7/13 9,998
  • bassclef
    bassclef Posts: 29 Member
    Thank you, @SavageMrsMoose and @JenHul for letting me know my situation isn't unique. I'll try to stop beating myself up so much (in my head.)
  • bassclef

Hugs to both @SavageMrsMoose and @LaurieWrobo. I hope treatments go well.
  • bassclef
    @CasandraW , How did you go about changing your relationship to food?
  • bassclef
    Test results today. My cholesterol is way up. It was like this about 15 years ago; and then when I mended my ways, it dropped by 100 points. So now I'm back in the high category.....I don't like it, but it does serve to fortify my sagging motivation to eat right.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,307 Member
    @bassclef - I was hoping to respond in more detail to your comments on tracking but my day got swept away by work tasks and I still have a few items to take care of for my work with a team in Guam while they’re in the office. It’s great to have some flexibility in my day because of the various time zones but I sometimes feel like ‘Santa Claus’ — able to deliver to everyone but no rest. I wish I had some of that mystical power

For now, I’ll just reinforce what others said about starting out strong with tracking and then lagging as the day progresses. I think it’s very common! I say celebrate the fact that you log breakfast and keep working to improve. I still have a long way to go in improving my tracking, especially recipes, and I’m horrible about weighing items, but I’ll share some of the positive changes I’ve been able to make. I’ll try to post tomorrow for FEEL GOOD FRIDAY, when we celebrate our milestones small and large, but tomorrow will be another busy work day so I might be delayed until the weekend. I’m sorry to hear about your cholesterol increase but I’m glad you’ve learned how to lower it and feel extra motivation to focus on better nutrition. Let us know how you’re doing and how we can support you.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,307 Member
    @Pupowl - I love that you decided to tell us more about your water butt 🤣😂🤣. It cracked me up when I read your comment today - 😝

I was also kind of fascinated by your internal argument about achieving your step goal each day. I geek out a bit on personal drive, motivation, and supporting continuous improvement so it didn’t feel as you described it —

Pupowl: “I feel like this turned into a bit of a ramble and I don't really have a point, so I will shush now.“

That also made me smile. My father was a professional hockey coach and we sometimes talked about motivation. He thought a lot about it because some of the players had million dollar contracts and talents that challenged him to think deeply about what strategies could help each individual one of the players improve his* skills, attitudes, or behaviors to enhance the performance of the team.

It helps me to set up external accountability because I’m more likely to follow through on a target or desired behavior to please someone else instead of doing it for myself. When I set up an appointment or make plans with a colleague or friend, it’s often a way to be the type of person I aspire to be but I wonder why I can’t put myself first. When I read your comment about wanting to rest - but feeling as though you had to follow through on your commitment - I was wondering if you felt the commitment you made was to yourself or our group - or Jessica and the other step challenge participants?

Anyway, there’s no need to answer this question. I’m just pondering publicly; but, if the commitment was to yourself - to improve your health - then sometimes the sleep is what you need. So, it comes down to weighing the options and deciding what’s most helpful in the moment. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and the pictures of the butterflies. I love watching the birds and butterflies in my garden and enjoy reading more about them. Enjoy!

(or her, but mostly “his” in cases where he coached)
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,452 Member
    @PatriceFitnessPal
    I am glad you enjoyed my post! :smiley: I agree about external accountability. It's what I liked about the gym and having to reserve a spot in their time slots. Made it a lot easier to stick to it for me. In general I think doing something with someone else is very helpful as well.
    I mostly felt the commitment to myself. I also changed my daily step goal in my fitbit, so I don't get the exciting 'buzz buzz, you hit your step goal!' until I make it to 14k. It never really cuts into my sleep, because I am generally done with my steps by 19:00. Last Wednesday was the first time I was still not done by bedtime and that was mostly because I had given up on reaching my goal and then changed my mind again, lol. I think I finished around 22:30 while watching some youtube videos. So overall I don't think it is harmful for me to go for that 14k no matter what. It is just hard when my body is so exhausted I just want to sit down and not move. However, because I am unable to work, my days are pretty empty so the stepping is kind of the least I feel I should do, even if I feel more dead than alive.
  • JenHul
    JenHul Posts: 355 Member
    @LaurieWrobo I have some what of an idea of what you are going thru.
    I took Jan-May off this year to care for my father who was diagnosed with Mantel Cell Lymphoma. My mother does not drive, and the nearest hospital that does Bone Marrow Transplant is a 2 1/2 hour drive away.
    Some days were good, some days were ok, and some days were just awful and draining, both on my Dad and myself.
    All I can say is take it one day at a time, record everything! I even recorded the Doctor visits so I could play back to my Mom, cause Due to Covid only one care giver was allowed in the visits, hospitals, procedures with my Dad. It also helps to re listen to what they say, they give you so much information that is can be mind numbing some times.
    I also kept and still do keep a journal on all of Dad's symptoms, what he ate, how he is feeling and his energy levels.
    I hope you get answers soon and that this tough stretch passes quickly, They weren't kidding when they say " the cure is sometimes worse than the disease"
    On a positive note, My Dad is doing great, he is maintaining, and all his treatment and subsequent treatments are worth it in the end. It has extended his life 5 plus year!

Sending Hugs both to you and your Husband, you are both stronger than you think!
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,044 Member
    Daily Step goal: 10,000
    Tue 7/12: 10,862
    Wed 7/13: 17,914
    Thu 7/14: 10,875
  • CasandraW
    CasandraW Posts: 510 Member
    @bassclef I found success in questioning why I was doing what I was doing and why I wanted it. I certainly went to food when I was feeling stressed or upset. Now I allow myself to "sit" with my feelings for a while instead of "pushing" them away food.
    I've also tried to change my mindset when it comes to holidays and gatherings. It used to be all about the food. Now I try to think of the good conversations and experiences first and the food second. I still enjoy the food and look forward to it, but have put it on the back burner. I also don't restrict "bad" foods, I enjoy them in moderation instead. I saw a post from a dietitian that said if you have a little bit of your "binge" food at every meal it losses it's appeal to over indulge. It becomes no big deal.

Sorry for the long response, the short of it is that I spent a lot of time internally reviewing why I eat too much. Then tried to find solutions that work for me.
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,241 Member
    @Pupowl - I love reading your posts/seeing your pics - gives me a good distraction from my problems and when I read it, I can really visualize what you are saying - so thank you😘
  • CasandraW
    CasandraW Posts: 510 Member
    @Pupowl I love your posts too.
This discussion has been closed.