Downsizers Team Chat - AUGUST 2022

jugar
jugar Posts: 9,891 Member
edited September 2022 in Social Groups
kz8wwkmjoilj.png
Here is your Team chat room for August 2022. This is where you weigh weekly, post your goals and progress, discuss any issues or topics of interest, share ideas, support your teammates, receive help when you need it, and dream big. Try to post often, and help each other succeed! Bookmark this thread to make it easy to land there any time.

We have five great teams. The group and team leaders are as follows:

Our Moderators:
Liselyn - @jugar
Megan - @Megan_smartiepants1970
Ashley - @minstrelofsarcasm
Jessica - @jessicakrall8

Our Team Captains:
Downsizers - @lindamtuck2018 and @Megan_smartiepants1970
Mission Slimpossibles - @broncobuddee and @trooworld
Weight No More - @minstrelofsarcasm and @melaniedscott
WaistAways - @jugar and @ashleycarole86
Shape Shifters - @jessicakrall8 and open

Our Team Motivators:
Downsizers - open! let your Captains know if you are interested :smiley:
Mission Slimpossibles - @katmary71
Weight No More - @rachelrjh
WaistAways - @conleywoods
Shape Shifters - @angmarie28 & @PatriceFitnessPal

HOW IT ALL WORKS: The August challenge runs from July 31 - September 3. F2F months always start on a Sunday and end on a Saturday, so adjust your calendars!

Every challenger weighs in on their chosen day, every week without fail. At the end of each week, the tallies are done to determine the team and individuals with the most weight lost. The best losers are announced with full fanfare every Sunday. The team competition is all in good spirits - may the most losing win!

We also celebrate those small, steady losses. If you lose, however small an amount, you are in the green! At the end of the month, we celebrate everyone who lost at least a bit every week. You are heading steadily towards your goal even if you aren't at the top of the weight loss leaderboard.

To make your weigh-in easy to find for your team Captains, please put it right at the top of a message, and use this format:
Weigh In Day:
PW (Previous Weight):
CW (Current Weight):

If you miss two weigh-ins in a row without asking for a break, you will be dropped from the team, so be sure to inform your team captain if you are traveling, sick, or just need some time off. If you take a break, you can be excused for a week or two, or are moved to the Support Team for longer. You can remain on the Support Team for as long as you need to. You still participate in the discussions, you can weigh in if you want to, but it will not count in the weekly tally.

Once you reach your goal weight, you join the Goal Zone! You continue to weigh in every week. If you have 2 weeks above your self-defined goal zone, you go back to the regular team to lose that amount before it builds up. You will have a chance to hone those maintenance skills and stick with your team!

In addition to your own team, there are weekly F2F Full Group CHALLENGES. You can do all or none - it's up to you. Participating adds a lot to your success, so we hope to see you there often! These can involve anything fitness, health, or nutrition - and they’ll get you moving, thinking, and learning about this journey. Check the Announcements section for full group challenges.

Let’s show our fellow challengers some F2F love! Introduce yourselves right away, and let the new month and year begin!!

Replies

• lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,501 Member
    edited July 2022
    Hi all and welcome to the Downsizers August team chat! My name is Linda and I am one of the team captains. My counterpart is the amazing Megan aka @Megan_smartiepants1970. Please take time to answer the introduction questions below.
  • lindamtuck2018
    Let’s get to know each other!

1. Tell us a little about yourself? Where are you from? What are some of your hobbies? Etc.

2. Why are you on this journey? What pushed you to start?

3. What are your triggers and how can you avoid them?

4. Do you have a favourite diet you go by? ie keto, low carb

5. What is your favourite way to workout?

6. What are some of your goals this month? Year?

7. What do you expect to gain from the team? Do you have any suggestions?

8. Share some words of wisdom with your teammates.
  • lindamtuck2018
    Housekeeping

Weigh In
    I will post a weigh in reminder every day. Please use the following format for reporting your weight as it makes it much easier to find. Let me know if you need to change your weigh in day or have to miss a week.

Username
    PW (Previous Weight):
    CW (Current Weight):

Daily Check In
    You can do this in any format you want. Things you may want to report could include calories, exercise, water intake, goals or anything you want to share. Share your successes with the team, any struggles or questions you may have.

Step Challenge
    Megan takes care of the step challenge. She will make a post with everything you need to know.

Weekly Group Challenge
    Each week there is a group challenge that runs from Sunday to Saturday. Jessica, one of the moderators, will post a link each week. Take time to check them out.

If you have any questions either post them here or send myself or Megan a message.
  • lindamtuck2018
    1. Tell us a little about yourself? Where are you from? What are some of your hobbies? Etc.

My name is Linda and I am one of the team captains. I take care of the weekly weigh ins. I am 58 years old, married, 3 adult children and 4 granddaughters. I am originally from Newfoundland but I now I live in southwestern Ontario. I have lived here for 23 years. I retired in 2008 due to a disability. I have two really fat cats who keep us company. I like to play cards, read and do diamond art.

About 4 years ago, I knew my health was getting bad and I had to do something. I wanted to be able live long enough to see great grandchildren. For those reasons I decided to lose weight. In February 2019, I finally committed to losing weight. It’s been a slow process as I did have a few setbacks but I haven’t given up. I am no longer on insulin for my diabetes and I am managing my rheumatoid arthritis much better.

Stress is my biggest trigger for eating. I have binge eating disorder which I did therapy for 4 years ago. I try to manage stress the best I can to prevent binges. I also try to avoid skipping meals as this leads to a binge or overeating later in the evening. As for foods there are several. There are some I just completely ban from the house others I will have but in smaller quantities. ie. hallowe’en size bag of chips instead of family sized.

I have tried many diets over the years and they worked for a short time followed by gaining the weight back and then some. Now I just count calories.

Swimming and water exercises. I love walking but I am limited due to nerve issues with my back and neuropathy. I have a walker but still struggle mentally with using it.

* exercise 5 days a week
    * Get 4000 steps on non exercise days
    * Lose 1 to 2 pounds

Motivation and support. I would love for people to share their victories and struggles on this journey so we can help each other.

Never give up. Even if you are having a bad day or week keep trying. Post your weight even if you gained. The only way to get through the hard parts of weight loss is to keep showing up every day.

Lets have a great month
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member

My name is Greg, 40 years old and I'm from Windsor Ontario Canada. I work for Green Shield Canada. I love sports. Love playing sports, music, cooking, hanging with friends

3. Why are you on this journey? What pushed you to start?

I was close to 400 pounds and actually made an appointment for Gastric Bypass but decided to give this one more shot. My dad died of a heart attack at 51 and I knew that was my future

Lol well, I smoke a lot of weed and the munchies are real. I came up with healthy alternatives if I get hungry.

Calorie deficient. That's pretty much it. Nothing fancy

6. What is your favourite way to workout?

I swim laps 5 days a week and play baseball on Sundays. I also walk anywhere that's within walking distance

7. What are some of your goals this month? Year?

For August i would like to hit the 95 pound mark and by the end of the year i hope to be at my goal weight of 250. That would be 138 total

8. What do you expect to gain from the team? Do you have any suggestions?

Its a lot of fun interacting with everyone

9. Share some words of wisdom with your
    teammates.

Log your food the night before if possible. It gives you a solid gameplan which allows you to make adjustments if things come up

• IP2021
    IP2021 Posts: 85 Member

My name is Irene, 45 years old. I'm originally from the Netherlands, but I've lived in Denmark since 2012.

I've lost a great deal of weight before using weightwatchers, via a dietitian, and this group (back in 2018). Then life happened. Stress from a bad work situation and then starting a new job, which I love, but which was also stressful in the beginning with a lot of new things.
    Last month I decided it was time to prioritize myself again, so I joined this group again B)

Stress and boredom are my main triggers

I try not to call it a diet, but a lifestyle change. I prefer to eat all the things I enjoy, so I just count calories.

Mainly walking outside, but I do have a treadmill for those cold rainy days and a weight lifting machine at home.

My sister and I just booked a flight to Malta to surprise our mom for her 70th birthday, so my current goal is to lose 25 pounds by November 24th, which is when we'll go to Malta. (My parents have lived in Malta for several years now).
    My goal for August is to lose at least 7 pounds.

Support and motivation. It's a lot easier"talking" to people in the same situation and with similar struggles.

Write down everything you eat and drink even if it means going over you calorie budget. It really helps to stay accountable.
    Also, come to this chat regularly. I haven't written a whole lot myself last month, but I log in every day and read all the comments, which have helped me a great deal.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,512 Member
    edited July 2022
    Hello Team Downsizers ....First I would like to welcome our new members @nitaoriol, @rwillems, @debbieluck,@Xanathi, @NanElisaP, and @Arya91Fire to our awesome team...I hope you enjoy it as much as I have ...I have been with this group for 2 years and absolutely love it ... I have been on and off of MFP since 2009 (I had a bad habit of giving up on myself and deleting my accounts..I promised myself that I would not give up on myself ever again(been on this screen name since 2018) Second let me introduce myself ... I am Megan and I am the co-captain of this marvelous team along with our amazing captain Linda..I am also one of the moderator's so if a problem arises please let me know so that I and the other moderator's can solve the problem ... Most of you newcomers have already met me since I am in charge of recruiting ...Now a little about me ... I was born in Alberta Canada..I was adopted as a baby...I have lived in California most of my life ... I would love to move to Colorado.. I am an animal lover... I have 2 dogs a German Shepherd named Dakota and a Siberian Husky named Aspen(both are 4 years old) ... I also have 2 grandma kitties Kylie 16 1/2 and Mocha 16 and a parrot named Petey (not sure who talks more him or myself LOL) I am a mom of 2 ..Alyssa who is 16 and will be graduating from High School next year ..I have home schooled her from day 1 .. She has been on honor roll every year ... I have a son named Austin who is 22 and in the Navy .. I am a very proud mama :)

Now lets talk about the step challenge that I am in-charge of for our team ...If you want to be added please give me your name and a step pledge that you plan to hit daily and post your steps either daily or weekly (whatever is easiest for you) in here .... If you want to be removed , change your step goal , excused etc. please let me know ... I do have a converter chart where I can convert most exercise into steps ...On Sunday mornings I will put up a reminder of the people's steps I need ...

My Goals for August are ..........Start eating breakfast..get back on low carb also incorporate keto recipes ...drink 140 ounces of water daily ....get back to walking 5 days a week .... Maybe Swim in our pool a couple of days a week and get 12,000 steps a day ...meal prep once a week on Sunday's ..As for weight loss goals .. I would like to lose a couple of pounds this month.. I have a lot of health issues so I will do my best to keep these goals for August..I am a type 2 diabetic ... kidney stones ... 3 hernia surgeries ... a screw in my right foot due to stress fractures ... Left foot has arthritis in the ankle and I have quite a few bone spurs in the foot .. ... I also have tendonitis in my knees and I was born with hip dysplasia..yup I am mess LOL but I won't let it stop me from being successful.... I am an open book so if you want to know more about me then just ask :) Let's have an awesome month and let's show the month of August who is boss :p
  • Megan_smartiepants1970

I was born in Canada but live in California .. I love to cook, host parties do crafts with my daughter and I love to walk our husky with my daughter (haven't walked in a few months due to falling and hurting my knee (plan to start walking 8/1
    2. Why are you on this journey? What pushed you to start? I had been obese most of my adult live.. I did well in 2009/2010 on here until tragedy struck I lost 3 family members within a month apart ..I was a basket case and gave up on myself .. I am on this journey now because I want to finish what I started and get my health issues under control .. I have lost 95 lbs so far

3. What are your triggers and how can you avoid them? anything sweet salty ...I haven't done well this month due to injuries and eating whatever is simple ...

4. Do you have a favourite diet you go by? ie keto, low carb I am following low carb but will incorporate keto recipes

5. What is your favourite way to workout? I love my walks and swimming

6. What are some of your goals this month? Year? I am planning on walking and using my pool until we start homeschool again which starts on 8/18

7. What do you expect to gain from the team? Do you have any suggestions? I am expect what I have been receiving support, friends etc,

Don't give up ...measure your food and you will succeed :)
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    For those who want to be added to the step challenge ...Please give me your name and a pledge of steps you plan to hit daily so I can get the step challenge set up... For those who are excused from the step challenge..Please confirm you want to stay excused or if you want it removed so that you can re-join us Thank you :)
  • laura9400
    laura9400 Posts: 418 Member
    @Megan_smartiepants1970 I would like to rejoin - 10,000 steps a day.

1) Hi all, I’m Laura from Wisconsin. I enjoy reading and crafting.

2) I put on a lot of weight after starting my current job 15 years ago. It’s now greatly affecting my health and it needs to stop.

3) Being bored, anything that makes me derail slightly. Junk food always starts a binge

4) Low carb/sugar/junk food

5) Walking/dancing

6) Close my Apple Watch rings daily, log food daily

7) Motivation

• lindamtuck2018
    laura9400 wrote: »
    @Megan_smartiepants1970 I would like to rejoin - 10,000 steps a day.

1) Hi all, I’m Laura from Wisconsin. I enjoy reading and crafting.

2) I put on a lot of weight after starting my current job 15 years ago. It’s now greatly affecting my health and it needs to stop.

3) Being bored, anything that makes me derail slightly. Junk food always starts a binge

4) Low carb/sugar/junk food

5) Walking/dancing

6) Close my Apple Watch rings daily, log food daily

7) Motivation

Are you having problems with your exercise being written to mfp from Apple health? Mine has been hit and miss. I need to set closing my rings as a goal again. Thanks for the reminder!
  • lindamtuck2018
    @Megan_smartiepants1970
    I will join the step challenge this month. My goal will be 4K steps. I will have more on my exercise days.
  • IP2021
    IP2021 Posts: 85 Member
    @Megan_smartiepants1970

I would like to increase my step pledge to 7,000 steps for the month of August B)
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,009 Member
    Hey y'all! The Aug Week 1 Group Challenge is posted and ready to begin on Sunday, Jul 31st. Hope you'll join us for Creative Home Workouts!

Here's your link:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10870487/aug-week-1-group-challenge-creative-home-workouts#latest

Jessica :blush:
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    We have another member joining our awesome team .. Please welcome @NanElisaP :)
  • rwood566
    rwood566 Posts: 987 Member

Hi all. My name is Roger. I'm in San Diego. I'm newly 58, married, one adult daughter who still lives with us. For hobbies, i like diamond dots, which is paint by numbers using little plastic colored gems instead of paint. i try to read, and play games online.
    I hit rock bottom, which some people need to do, before i started this journey. I started gaining weight while in the Navy, got booted out because of it after 12 1/2 years. I kept gaining afterwards. In 2017 i became house-bound, being to big to do anything. I couldn't stand more than 2 minutes, couldn't walk 150 feet, couldn't fit in a vehicle. In Feb 2019 my Dr. called and said he couldn't renew any of my needed prescriptions since he didn't see me in 2 years. i had to tell him i was house-bound. He referred me to Home Based Primary Care thru the V.A. and they sent professionals out to my apartment every 2 or 3 weeks for 2 years to get me going. When i started i was 566 pounds, in March 2019. I now weigh 230, but got down to 222 when i got my first skin removal surgery may 6th.
    My triggers right now are snacking. I am trying to figure out how to deal with these.
    No special diet. I just count calories in, but not burned thru exercise.
    Walking around the city. I missed the outside while i was immense. I also do light workouts at the gym and am starting to play pickleball.
    Get back down to 225. Get ready for another skin removal surgery, if i decide to get one. Get my snacking under control
    comraderie, words of wisdom, fun chats.
    We are on a lifetime journey. We may start and stop but we must remember to always restart. It doesn't get better when we reach our goal weight, it just changes into constant maintenance.

• lindamtuck2018
    @MadDuck62
    I moved your weigh day. I am still figuring it out when picking my weigh in day. I changed to Wednesday this month. I have been doing Fridays since I started so I decided to mix things up.

@IP2021
    Awesome stepping yesterday!

@28Haveitall2020
    Nice loss!

@rwood566
    I just started doing bookmarks and journal books with the diamond art. I still have a Christmas picture to finish but I have to use a magnifying glass to see the squares so I can’t do it for more than 10 to 15 minutes as my arm hurts from holding the glass. Your journey is so inspiring.
  • lindamtuck2018
    Steps: 4,541

Yesterday was a bad food day. I didn’t log so that makes it even worse. Today is a new day and the start of the August challenge so I will put it behind me. I am going to the pool today and I am going to attempt laps today. I have my meals and snacks logged for the day so I plan on sticking to them.

Goals for month
    Exercise 5 days a week
    4K steps

I decided against adding closing my rings daily as I want to take one rest day a week which means I won’t be closing my exercise ring that day.

Have a great Sunday.
  • NanElisaP
    NanElisaP Posts: 35 Member
    edited July 2022

Good morning! I am Nan, I currently live in Kentucky. My job is in affordable housing for the elderly and disabled. I'm an avid disc golfer, costume designer, and reader.

I have been ignoring my body's needs for the last year and because of that, I've gained a ridiculous amount of weight back that I had lost. I'm angry with myself. It's been a crazy few years, my town was rocked by a tornado, my son graduated this spring, and I have had multiple injuries and a hospital stay that all contributed to my weight gain (plus Covid). My wake up call was when my blood work came back with my A1C higher than usual (7.2) and my cholesterol had sky rocketed. While I'm active, I've been skipping the gym. That has to stop. I need those numbers and the scale numbers down. Im uncomfortable in my body right now - not because of appearance- but how I feel from head to toe.

My triggers have been hard for me to recognize and that's something I need to analyze. I would say definitely emotional eating. I need to learn to turn to something else.

My husband is an avid low carb follower and lost 200 pounds that way - so our home tends to be low carb. However, he has lately been off the diet. He also prefers me overweight which does not help my process.

My favorite ways to work out are Disc golf - but it's not enough. Elliptical, Zumba, swimming, hiking, walking

This month I would like to gain consistency. Period. Yes, I need to lose weight. But first I need to bring back my healthy habits to make the weight loss possible: tracking, gym, water. In addition, I would like to lose the team?

I need the accountability, motivation, and friendships from the group. I hope to be an active encourager and receive the same.

Every moment is a choice ... one poor choice is just one moment, move on and make the next choice a good one.
This discussion has been closed.