Options
    leni1us
    8/3 - 8,497
  • leni1us
    leni1us Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    laceyf53 wrote: »
    leni1us wrote: »
    Thank you @jessicakrall8! It does feel a bit like coming home. I'm excited to be back and I'm ready to make some changes.

I'm retired and love good food and good wine. The problem is.... I love it too much. I've been retired two years and my weight has steadily increased over that time. I'm focusing now on what and how much I eat. My goal this week is to exercise no less than 30 minutes every day and walk a minimum of 6,000 steps per day (right now, I'm lucky if I get in 2,000 steps).

Retirement, wow, what does THAT feel like?!! I can't even imagine...I'm about 6-9 years away, but man looking forward to THAT day! Now you can go walk whenever you feel like it and don't have to punch the proverbial clock!! I am SO jealous!!

Watch for comments from @izzyred9400 as I think she's a wine drinker--Izzy, we need your expertise...how do you handle your calories set aside for wine? ...I do know from reading others' advice that you basically have to cut your wine calories from your food, so it's just best if you know you're going to want that wine with dinner, remove the calories from the top of your day and go on what's left...that way your wine won't knock you off your allotted amount for the day. Then it won't feel like a guilty pleasure, it will just be part of your normal day. ALSO, if you're walking daily as your plan states, it will keep you from consuming those all-important exercise points...

Too bad they don't make diet wine like they have diet soda...but I bet it would taste gross...I love my occasional diet mountain dew...it's my favorite, but I drink more water (with enhancers) than anything...crystal light lemonade or Kroger black cherry are my favorites.

Take care,
    Jessica

Spoiler, there is diet wine. 😂

https://www.makerwine.com/products/bodkin-sparkling-rose

https://www.purewow.com/wine/keto-diet-wines

https://wineindustryadvisor.com/2021/11/08/cosmopolitan-magazine-names-myx-light-best-celebrity-wine/amp

FANTASTIC!!
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,558 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Steps
    31 July: 15.369
    1 Aug: 15.613
    2 Aug: 18.044
    3 Aug: 16.411
    Good morning Shape Shifters. I have not been feeling great, so I haven't managed to write in the group until now. Nothing much has happened in my life. I had to buy a new phone because my old one kept acting weirder. Keyboard would vanish mid typing and didn't come back, phonecalls would cut out randomly, sometimes I wouldn't be able to pick up at all because the screen showed nothing despite the ringtone going, sometimes phonecalls didn't get through at all, apps were lagging and stuck all the time. So yeah, it was getting really annoying. This has all been going on for a few months, but I absolutely hate spending money on something I hate so I kept putting it off until my phone almost drove me to violence, lol. I also hate how having a smartphone isn't optional anymore, because banking stuff requires you to scan a QR code, logging in on several important websites also ask for extra codes or special ID apps. You just can't go without one. I went for one of the cheapest phones, but they are still quite a chunk of money. Setting it all up was also annoying, but it works well now so I guess it was worth it.
    Tinus is thankfully doing better. I don't really see him limping much anymore, and recently he started to play again so I think he is feeling better. His weight is still on the lower side, but he isn't losing and it seems the hairball issue is now resolved. It did take a few different foods to figure out what worked best though.
    I am going to put a huge wall of text under the spoiler about my neighbours stray cat. Feel free to skip this.
    Sadly I now have a bit of second hand cat stress. My neighbour decided to keep the cat that came walking up to his house. When she first showed up around 2 months ago, I tried to help him out. I gave him some toys, a spare litterbox and a lot of advise. I had a flea treatment left over as well, so I showed him how to apply it and told him this would need to be done every 4 weeks. I mentioned things like vaccinating, worms, sterilising, chipping etc. He said at the time he was really not sure, he never had cats before and he thought it was a lot of work. I told him that if he had doubts, he shouldn't keep her. You can't only commit 50% when it comes to animals. I also told him about the shelter where I volunteered. It is the only one in our province and a kitty as sweet as her would have found a home in no time. I suggested he could call them to ask some questions. Anyway, turned out he basically did nothing with any of my advice. He didn't treat her for anything after I gave her the flea treatment. On Sunday I spoke to him again and he said they were going to the vet on Tuesday because she wasn't eating well and she was very slow. He borrowed my carrier and we talked again when he got back from the visit. She has fleas and worms as well. It doesn't look like she has gained any weight in the 2 months he has been feeding her, probably due to the worms. She really is just a pile of bones. I feel really bad because he could have sorted all those things out way sooner if he had listened to me. He only went to the vet once when she showed up to check if she had a chip, but after that he basically did nothing except feed her. It would have been much better if he had brought her to the shelter, then they would have done all those things and he could still have adopted her later.
    He also seems to 'worry' about the dumbest things. Right now, it is very important for her to gain weight. Instead he is complaining about how all the wet food contains stuff like flavour enhancers. He should focus on finding things she loves to eat first, you can worry about additives you don't like later. I tried to hammer home again how important things like sterilising and vaccinating was, but it seems he is anti-vax as well. Great if you want to take that risk with your own life, but if people with a lot of experience with cats are telling you it is better to vaccinate, and if your vet is telling you to vaccinate, then you vaccinate your cat! If she were to get sick in her current condition, it is not going to end well. They estimated her to be around 9 months old, which means she can get pregnant already. It would be horrible if that happened. He doesn't seem to be in any hurry to get anything done though. The only thing he sorted out at the vet is the flea/worm situation; nothing else is planned.
    He asked me if I could look after her if he was away from home, which is fine. So he actually left for the night on Tuesday. When I went over his place in the evening, I thought she looked awful. Her breathing was really laboured and loud. She ended up puking twice and it looked like nothing I had ever seen. Really dark, almost like she ate dirt. I did not enjoy cleaning that up. I felt very uncomfortable in his house as well. It was super cluttered and messy, the floor was dirty, there was dust everywhere and the house is very badly maintained. Everything looks old and gross. He had dried plants and seeds just laying around in the open, which could be dangerous for cats. He claimed she never touches those things. Right, until she does... Anyway, there wasn't much I could do. I went back several times that evening/night to see how she was doing and she seemed stable. In the morning when I let her outside she looked a bit better thankfully.
    I had another talk with him when he came back home Wednesday afternoon. He is going to order some different food and foodbowls. He just had her food and water in small plastic containers which was also gross. Not sure why it took him two months to sort that out. The package will actually be delivered at my house later today, since he is leaving again until Saturday. I really hope she will do better once the worm issue is resolved. I am having a hard time dealing with this, since in my eyes, he is doing a lot of things wrong. That makes it hard to be involved, but I have to keep reminding myself it is for the cat. What would have happened if I wasn't around to advice him, and nudge him in the right direction?
    Alright, that is all my ranting done for the day, sorry! Happy Thursday everyone <3
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Here’s my weekly weigh in report. My goal is to continue within my maintenance target of 120-130 pounds, but I’d like to move closer to 125.

Name: PatriceFitnessPal
    PW: 128.8
    CW: 128.6

SW: 168
    LTD: 39.4

I’m just under 5’4” tall and focusing on building muscle, increasing my flexibility, and improving my balance as I age. I hope everyone is doing well this week. Enjoy!
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,264 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    @Pupowl - awwww you are such a good person taking care of that poor kitty - my ❤ was just breaking reading it 😞

Today is my wedding anniversary- 32 years and I am ever so grateful that my husband's pancreatic cancer was found at Stage 1 - he has 3 more mos of chemo - so thankful coming up to the end - dr has him receiving chemo every other week instead of 3 weeks in a row
    Monday was the restart and as soon as he received the anti nausea meds he threw up - so frustrating- after I picked him up he went right to bed - he's been tired this week, but at least keeping food down
    We are going out to a BBQ place for dinner tonight locally to celebrate and have a couple of beers
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    @Pupowl - Your neighbor is really putting you in a difficult position, asking you to care for his cat while he’s away but neglecting her health needs otherwise. It sounds as though you have done everything you can to stress the importance of preventative health care but he doesn’t listen until it’s too late. I hope the fleas and worms are treated successfully so she can feel better.

I’m not sure how involved you want to get. If he uses the same vet as you do for Tinus, maybe you can talk to the vets informally about your concerns. We have animal protection agencies here, and I’m sure the Netherlands has a similar group for reporting maltreatment of animals, but that might feel like too much involvement. Maybe you can just report a stray cat that your neighbor is feeding since that really describes the minimal standard your neighbor seems to be providing.

I’m sure you understand the relationship with your neighbor best so I’m probably inserting myself more than I should. You’re handling the tough balance well — A good neighbor and a good model as a pet owner!
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,558 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    @PatriceFitnessPal
    Yeah, I am not really sure what more I can/should do. I feel like involving other people goes a bit too far. There is only one vet office in my town, so we do use the same one. I have no idea how the vet visit went in reality since I only hear his side. I would have expected them to suggest food or something for her to gain weight, run a blood test and insist on vaccinating. It is possible that they did but he refused, I have no idea. He isn't exactly abusing her, just not doing enough. If I was in his shoes, I would keep her indoors for a while so I could keep a better eye on her. Since her appetite is so low and she is basically left outside all day, you have no idea what she is up to.
    He annoyed me some more today. A few hours after I posted here I got a voice message on whatsapp from him. It was 3 minutes long and in it he said that he didn't order anything after all. Claimed he had no time. Despite the fact that he contacted me last night because he couldn't find the food I suggested so I sent him a direct link to it. He was physically behind his computer, yet now suddenly says he had no time? It takes like 5 minutes to order something from the internet. He also said he wanted to look into it more, whatever that means. I just really don't understand. So what did I do? I ordered two things out of my own pocket. One of them is a paste that contains a lot of vitamins, minerals and energy which should also help increase her appetite. If she really isn't eating, she also runs the risk of a liver disease so this paste should at least prevent that. The other thing I ordered is some wetfood for kittens. I hope she will start eating more with the help of the paste. I have a lot of treats at home for Tinus, so I am trying out some of those as well. I put 4 things in front of her earlier today and she wasn't interested in any of them. Anyway, I will keep you all updated. <3
  • kcpond
    kcpond Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    kcpond

Weigh In Day: Wednesday
    PW (Previous Weight): 246.1
    CW (Current Weight):246.3
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,104 Member
    Options
    leni1us
    Step Goal: 6,000
    I enjoy walking around a local neighborhood park. It has a walking/running path around the perimeter of the park. It's a nice walk under the trees. The path goes by the tennis courts, baseball field, skate park, and duck pond. There's always something going on or something to see.

@leni1us What's your first name for the chart please? Thanks! I adjusted the 179.2 to 159.2. Was your starting weight still 176.0?
    Jessica

First name Lennie and my original starting weight when I first joined the challenge (over a year ago) was 172. Here's my original post to the "New Members" chat.

leni1us
    Weigh in Day - Friday
    Current Weight - 159.2
    Original starting weight - 172

No worries though, the future is more important than the past, right?

Thanks for the information. I wanted to make sure the table we have for recording the original weight is correct because that's what tracks your OVERALL loss from now on in the weigh in chart. I've corrected the table and added Lennie to the step chart as well. Thanks...hope you're having a fabulous week!

Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    Options
    Walela617 wrote: »
    Hi Jess,

I did not do "intended" steps on Sunday, July 31st, other than "puttering around" the apartment. (I would assume it was way below my 10,000 daily goal.) You mentioned you have the 13,745 steps for Monday, AUG 1st.

Here are Tuesday and Wednesday:

08/02: 12,382
    08/03: 12,530

I've walked to and from work (2 miles each way) on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of this week, plus walking around the office, etc. I will probably walk to work tomorrow but may take the bus home because Boston is expecting around 100 degrees. I will try to post daily from now on, as requested.

Have a nice night! (Carole)

@Walela617 For the step challenge, your walking can be intentional or unintentional...as long as you're up and moving, it should count on your tracker and you should report in. When you see discussions from me about "intentional" walking, it feeds another walking goal I do because I'm tracking my "intentional" walking month to month to see how many miles I can rack up. In addition to that I also track my daily steps goal with our team in the step challenge. So if you have steps for the 31st, please report them. Never minimize your puttering dear! :blush:
    Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    Options
    leni1us
    8/3 - 8,497

Go ahead and report your steps for July 31st, Aug 1st and Aug 2nd please and we'll get you all caught up...thanks!
    Jess
  • jessicakrall8
    Options
    Steppers...from July chart:

innndnq2iwe2.png

Please take a look walkers and post any steps for the days in yellow. Thanks! I'd like to close out July by the weekend.
    Jessica
  • Nataliewr0403
    Nataliewr0403 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Nataliewr0403

Steps
    7/30. 6404
    7/31. 10418
    8/1. 12470
    8/2. 6180
    8/3. 8084
    8/4. 9888
  • leni1us
    edited August 2022
    Options
    laceyf53 wrote: »
    Thank you @jessicakrall8! It does feel a bit like coming home. I'm excited to be back and I'm ready to make some changes.

I'm retired and love good food and good wine. The problem is.... I love it too much. I've been retired two years and my weight has steadily increased over that time. I'm focusing now on what and how much I eat. My goal this week is to exercise no less than 30 minutes every day and walk a minimum of 6,000 steps per day (right now, I'm lucky if I get in 2,000 steps).

Retirement, wow, what does THAT feel like?!! I can't even imagine...I'm about 6-9 years away, but man looking forward to THAT day! Now you can go walk whenever you feel like it and don't have to punch the proverbial clock!! I am SO jealous!!

Watch for comments from @izzyred9400 as I think she's a wine drinker--Izzy, we need your expertise...how do you handle your calories set aside for wine? ...I do know from reading others' advice that you basically have to cut your wine calories from your food, so it's just best if you know you're going to want that wine with dinner, remove the calories from the top of your day and go on what's left...that way your wine won't knock you off your allotted amount for the day. Then it won't feel like a guilty pleasure, it will just be part of your normal day. ALSO, if you're walking daily as your plan states, it will keep you from consuming those all-important exercise points...

Too bad they don't make diet wine like they have diet soda...but I bet it would taste gross...I love my occasional diet mountain dew...it's my favorite, but I drink more water (with enhancers) than anything...crystal light lemonade or Kroger black cherry are my favorites.

Take care,
    Jessica

Spoiler, there is diet wine. 😂

https://www.makerwine.com/products/bodkin-sparkling-rose

https://www.purewow.com/wine/keto-diet-wines

https://wineindustryadvisor.com/2021/11/08/cosmopolitan-magazine-names-myx-light-best-celebrity-wine/amp

FANTASTIC!!
    leni1us
    8/3 - 8,497

Go ahead and report your steps for July 31st, Aug 1st and Aug 2nd please and we'll get you all caught up...thanks!
    Jess

Thanks @jessicakrall8

7/31 6,385
    8/1 7,153
    8/2 5,997

• laceyf53
    laceyf53 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    @laceyf53 — Congratulations for both literally figuratively “getting back on the horse”!

Keep up the good work! It’s great to have you here as part of the Shape Shifters team.

Thank you! Got to ride again today and maybe Saturday too, looking forward to staying on the horse this time. 😂
  • leni1us
    Options
    leni1us
    8/4 7,041
  • msashleybing
    msashleybing Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Step goal: 6,000/day
    8/2 - 5,520
    8/3 - 6,822
    8/4 - 7,287

I walked in circle around my living trying to get my steps up on 8/2. I wasn’t that far off, so I’m not beating myself up too much, but I’m keeping a closer eye on my steps throughout the day.

I’ve also noticed I’ve been drinking sooo much water this week! I’m wondering if I’ll see a slight drop in weight soon? I’m not entirely sure how water weight works though.
  • pedal__power
    pedal__power Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Good morning Shape Shifters!

I've been on staycation this week and managed to knock a couple things off my ever long to-do list, which is really satisfying. Yesterday my youngest and I purged their bedroom, which I noticed on my fitbit was equivalent in effort to one of my typical walks and made me feel just as good!
    Have also been for some nice bike rides along my favorite spot along the river in the morning before it gets too hot. Being off has meant that it's been easier for me to focus on healthy eating and staying away from unnecessary snacking, which I typically struggle with.

I'm back to work on Monday at my desk job (from home) and am going to try to continue with these improvements, though my desk is right next to the kitchen....I might need to barricade myself out of it between meals ;)

Hope you all have a good day!
This discussion has been closed.