August 2022 - Let’s Do This!

Options

Replies

• rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm feeling the intuitive eating @Antiopelle. Have done far too much of that myself :D .

I think my weigh ins are going to depend on what suits me. I am away from home Tue/Wed or Wed/Thu every week anyway, and I travel a bit more for this job too. So a morning at home after a toilet visit seems just the most sensible idea, rather than picking a specific day. Today I left at 6am so I will probably weigh in on Fri morning.

Fab scenery @HoneyBadger302! Bike is nice too!

@SparkSpringtime69 Thanks for the good wishes. I'm recovered now (or will know for sure when I try deadlifts later this week. Partner is mostly recovered, but nerves can take a long time to settle back down. He's out of pain though (he was in agony for the first 4 days or so, until he got fully dosed up on codeine, amitriptyline & diazepam for 10-14 days) and we're both back in the gym, starting to rebuild strength.

This group has always been great. Once upon a time I was here for the best part of a year, lost around 20 odd lbs to a nice healthy weight and strong body. It'll be nice to get there again.

I bought some protein powder to add to my protein intake, which is something I tend to fail on. The shaker should be delivered today. Small steps.
  • zenobia9777
    zenobia9777 Posts: 277 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    @renaegry I hate when I get into a bad cycle like that. My sister used to tell me that if you can get yourself through 3 days, you can get on track. 3 days is less overwhelming. I am now on my third day of tracking my food.

My daughter came over with my grandson because "he really wanted to see me" and she ended up making cupcakes for her friend's birthday. I have been strong and I only ate one (she left 5 here). But I can't get the rest of the family to remove them from the refrigerator. Maybe I will just throw them away. I really don't think she's trying to sabotage me!!!

Today is a rest day so naturally my alarm did wake me up this morning!

Hope everyone is feeling ready to have an amazing September!

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    5'7", 44 years old
    Starting Weight 1/3/22: 155.8
    GW: ~128-132ish
    2/23/22: 150
    3/30/22: 147
    4/22: Missed
    5/31/22: 149.4
    6/29/22: 152.4
    7/27/22:150.6

8/4/22: 150.0
    8/10/22: 150.6
    8/17/22: 151
    8/24/22: 150.6

Measurements aren't changing much - EXCEPT my "belly button" measurement, which is honestly one of the most important as that goes right over my "saddle bags." I thought one side was looking like it was going down a bit, and today's measuring confirmed that. Outside of that though, not much has changed since 2 weeks ago, other than my energy levels overall - which definitely helps increase my NEAT/TDEE as I'm a lot more active and have even more trouble sitting still for long. Also helps me focus more when I am focused, then completing tasks faster, which means more time to get up and MOVE now that I'm not chained to a desk in an office anymore LOL (remote work, so I can get up between tasks and go do something around the house).

Weight also hasn't really shot up like it usually does when I get back into a full workout routine - so if my body is following its normal trends, I should start to see a drop here soon...
  • k8richly
    k8richly Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Greetings from Vancouver! I've been busy going on walks in the woods and playing with kids at the beach. Not exactly a workout when you are "hiking" with a 3yr old and a 75yr old but it's been lovely hanging with family. I havent gone for a run all week but am doing yoga this morning, come hell or high water. The food situation is delicious, healthy and plentiful - unfortunately, overeating on sushi and other good choices is still overeating. But whatever.

Here is a photo of a local canyon hike among old massive Douglas firs, jumping salmon (I'm not kidding) and quiet pools of water perfect for a dip on a hot day! Flying home tomorrow....i4bsoycjsbo6.jpg

I love the vibe with you all here! IMO "Intuitive eating" is a dangerous excuse to just eat what you want for most of the population. How about mindful or conscious eating?
    @HoneyBadger302 that is a sweet ride and you must need strength to control it!
    @zenobia9777 I always give myself 3 days too (or 3 runs, or 3 strength sessions etc) to get back on track. And chuck out those baked goods! (or give them away?) My mom tried to give me leftover cheesecake yesterday - ha! Nice try. @rianneonamission Take it easy!!! Backs are so so so tricky! Good luck with your recovery!
  • SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    @CeeBeeSlim I suffer from the same "lump" syndrome, LOL. I always feel great after I've had a good workout or eaten a healthy meal, yet I struggle almost every day to do those two simple things.
    @antiopelle I hope you reach your 2000th dive as planned.
    @zenobia9777 sounds like yesterday was a good day for you, keep that momentum going! One cupcake is enough, maybe you can give them to a neighbor.
    @renaegry I plan on using September to get back on track with my clean eating and steady exercise, I've really let things slide using the hot weather as an excuse.
    @rianneonamission I'm glad to hear you're both on the mend.
    @HoneyBadger302 your numbers look a lot like mine - I'm close to 5'8" and have been fluctuating between 152 and 148 for a few months now. I'm determined to get back into the 130s over the next few months.
    @k8richer Vancouver looks gorgeous! Sounds like you had a good time, too bad you have to go home so soon. I'm with you on the mindful/conscious eating; intuitive would never work for me, like you suggested, I'd just use it as an excuse to eat whatever.

I'm in a Biggest Loser Challenge here on MFP (it carried over from Sparkpeople where I used to be). BLC50 starts next Wednesday, and I plan to use those 12 weeks to really get my exercise routine and meal plans into shape and finally get back into the 130s.
    Oh, and an update and conclusion: As for the leg cramps, I drank last night and the night before, and early this morning I felt a cramp start as I was laying in bed. So I'm going to conclude drinking gives leg cramps, at least for me. If I want to get serious about the weight loss I have to avoid the alcohol anyway, and the cramps alone are enough of a reason to give it up.
    Looking forward to sharing a super September with all of you! B)
  • rianneonamission
    Options
    @SparkSpringtime69 Dehydration causes cramps, and normally alcohol consumption and dehydration are friends. So if you do have a drink, alternate with water.

I’ve been for an almost 7k walk tonight. I work 2.5hrs from home 2 days a week and it is lovely around here. Sadly the pub kitchen was shut when I got back so dinner has been G&T and a packet of crisps, followed by chocolate M&Ms… all within calories I should add!

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm in a Biggest Loser Challenge here on MFP (it carried over from Sparkpeople where I used to be). BLC50 starts next Wednesday, and I plan to use those 12 weeks to really get my exercise routine and meal plans into shape and finally get back into the 130s.

I've been with BLC for years! Did a few rounds with the Honey Badgers when they were still around (because, badgers unite lol), but moved to the Prism Panthers since I'm not SUPER focused on the scale and ideally am trying to focus on just making good changes and more of a recomp than strict weight loss (but I definitely have a fair bit of fat to lose - but for BLC purposes I'm not going to lose a ton).

This round is about establishing the habits. I decided with the job change I need to focus on my health (the issues with my tennis elbow/tendonitis only solidified the importance of needing to be taking care of that at my age) - no more "diet, lose, re-gain" yo-yo crap, but that also means establishing habits and ways of living that I can deal with long term. Getting my body to reset as well, which just takes TIME unfortunately.
  • zenobia9777
    edited August 2022
    Options
    This is a busy place!!!

@k8richer The picture from Vancouver is beautiful. Enjoy your yoga. It really makes a big difference in my life.

Thank you for the support on getting through my three days. I do feel more focused on my goals.

@SparkSpringtime69 alcohol does such a weird things. If I drink too much, my heart will start to race in the middle of the night. I do try to drink a lot of water in between glasses of wine. My sisters like to cut it with club soda, but I cut out the carbonation.

Today I did yoga and this time my knees bothered me instead of my calves, so this is mystifying. But I did well overall. Then it took me 85 minutes to do a mile and three quarters with the dogs. Speed was not the goal!!!

The BLC sounds like a great idea. I have never done that. Good luck!
  • SparkSpringtime69
    Options
    @rianneonamission I did read that dehydration can cause cramps, and originally thought that was it. But after 3 days of heavy water drinking, they were still happening so I knew I had to look into other things. I also read that some mineral deficiencies can cause them (calcium, magnesium and potassium mostly). But I really need to cut back on the booze anyway if I want to drop these last pounds, so I figured that's probably my healthiest route right now.
    @zenobia9777 if my heart started racing in the middle of the night I'd probably be a panic! I try to sip water in between wine sips, but after the second glass, that kind of falls by the wayside, LOL.
    You and @k8richer are reminding me that I have to add my AM yoga routine back into my life. I always feel like my day is starting out great when I do it, I'm not sure why I occasionally stop.
    @HoneyBadger302 I have an aversion to the word habit for some reason, it sounds like something I have to do not something I want to do. But you're so right, the only way to reset your body, and to have lasting good effects, is to create habits that you continue and can tweak as you go along.
  • rianneonamission
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Height: 5'10" (178cm)
    Starting Weight 22nd Aug '22: 188.2lbs (13st 6.2lbs / 85.36kg)

26th Aug: 185.8lbs

A 2.4lb drop. Whilst that will mostly be water weight, it is a little boost and I do feel better. I can do this!
  • rianneonamission
    Options
    @SparkSpringtime69 I had frequent leg cramps for a few days a month or 2 ago and it took me a good 1-2 weeks to fully rehydrate myself back out of that state. But I get your point with reducing alcohol intake. It's such an easy win, isn't it?
  • zenobia9777
    Options
    @rianneonamission yes you can!

Today was challenging because I knew I had to eat out for a family meeting. I got by with some little shrimp tacos and a small flan. Since I ate minimally the rest of the day, I think I can get away with it. Let's see what the scale says on Sunday. Also I did 45 minutes of circuit training this morning.

More family drama ... stressful. People (including me) get so irrational over things that really should not be an issue. Somehow we have to get to a compromise.

I lost a family member to cancer, and it still haunts me that she said she realized how many things just really were not that important.

• SparkSpringtime69
    edited August 2022
    Options
    @rianneonamission, wow I had no idea it could take so long to fully rehydrate, I thought it was just a day or two. Congrats on the 2+ pound drop, you got this!
    @zenobia9777, it sounds like you made some great decisions for your health today, and not just nutritionally. I think there are some things that people will probably never be able to reach a compromise on, but they can just agree to disagree in order to maintain a healthy relationship with each other (I have that kind of situation with my sisters). I'm sorry for your loss, and your relative sounds like she was a very insightful woman.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    @SparkSpringtime69 Sorry to hear about the family drama and loss of your family member. So true how many things are not that important - thanks for sharing. Can’t hear that enough.

The BLC challenge looks interesting! Details?! I have my workout plan almost 100% there - gotta get my nutrition in check. Doing much better - always room for improvement.

Hope everyone enjoys the weekend!
  • zenobia9777
    edited August 2022
    Options
    x3hrwg9i0gh5.jpg

I decided to go ahead and post my graph even though it's not Sunday. I've been working on this since February 22nd.

Age 64 height 5'3" medium frame
    SW 2/22 132.6
    GW 10/25 110.
    CW 8/27 117.4

So that's 26 and a half weeks and 15.2 lb. 0.57 pound per week. Not very rapid but kept the needle going down over time. Hope that is helpful, although I know the time frame is discouraging. I just want to have progress this time next year. I used to say it was a pound a week planned. Not so much!

@CeeBeeSlim
    Thanks for your thoughts. BTW I was the one who lost a sister several years ago. It's hard to keep track of all these conversations

• SparkSpringtime69
    edited August 2022
    Options
    @CeeBeeSlim here is the link to the BLC50 registration team. You have to join that team first and then go to the BLC50 page.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/140750-the-blc-biggest-loser-challenge-registration-team
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/140802-blc-50-fall-round
    This is the link to read about the challenge and the different teams:
    https://blcteam.weebly.com/orientation-page.html
    If you end up registering after the challenge starts (it starts next Wednesday) they'll automatically put you on the White Rabbits team, the team for latecomers.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    @SparkSpringtime69 @zenobia9777. My apologies for the mix-up. So sorry for your loss, zenobia9777.

Your graph is very helpful to see. A little over a half pound a week loss - that’s what the experts say is ideal when you don’t have much to lose. Did you chose 10/25 as a goal date or is this what the app came up with?

Perfect timing, too. I came to post and check in as the family just ordered pepperoni pizza. Getting your link motivated me to stick with one slice! 👏👏

Thanks for the link @SparkSpringtime69.
  • zenobia9777
    Options
    @CeeBeeSlim I actually picked that date because we start vacation October 27th. I have not been able to decide what weight I really want to get to. So 110 seemed like a good goal for that period of time. Maybe I can conquer my flabby arms between now and then. I do have muscles now, but there's obviously fat left!!!

There's a lot of discussion about measurement and I saw that you can add your measurements on the top left of the progress chart (switches charts). Does anyone use this? I should start. I'm glad the graph was helpful. Certainly shows the fluctuations.

Now if I can be like that "one slice of pizza restraint" on the cruise (haha) I won't gain 5 lb. Actually I'm going to try to eat more lightly because they totally overfeed you on those things.

Next week I'm going to do only one rest day. Alternating yoga and circuit training should not be too tough.

Happy Sunday, everybody!

• Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    A new Monday, a new week, two weeks in for me, but it seems to be much longer.
    I hadn't a great week: I started to feel exhausted on Wednesday with a vague headache and that feeling is still lingering, so I had to tone down my exercise. I was so exhausted on Thursday that I even forgot my appointment with the podologist... :tired_face: Yesterday, Sunday, I started in the hammock in the garden and ended on the couch, bingewatching tv; it was a complete off-day.

My net cals were over: 1.700 average instead of 1.420. It would still mean I'm in deficit, but my body decided otherwise and I've gained almost one kilo. I try not to fret over it and give it another - better - week.

I've clocked in a 6 km - 3.7 miles bike ride, just the one to go to my PT.
    1 long dive on Thursday, followed by a 1km - 0.62 miles swim
    1 PT session
    1 gym session - muscle build
    1 walk - 11 km / 7 miles

Seeing that list like this makes me realize I wasn't as inactive as I thought. I will have to persevere !

• zenobia9777
    Options
    Sometimes the body just goes into reset mode. I had to skip exercise today because my throat was bothering me. Hang in there!