Living the Lifestyle: Wednesday, 09/21/2022

Options
misterhub
misterhub Posts: 6,213 Member
This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday – Flintwinch (Tim)
Wednesday - misterhub (Greg)
Thursday -imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday - Wildcard

Today's Topic: Hydration

I drink a lot of water. I drink coffee daily. I drink tea (hot/iced) sporadically. But, hydration has never been an issue for me. I actually like water, so it's easy for me to keep that water bottle by my side at all times.

What about you? How do you handle hydration? Are you good at it, or could you use some improvement?

Replies

• crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,826 Member
    Options
    Interesting question. Could generate a little TMI . . .

I don’t know what the gold standard is for water. I try deliberately to consume at least 60 ounces of fluid a day. I’ll have a ten ounce cup of coffee in the morning, 20 ounces of water with lunch and again with dinner. In addition, I’ve started drinking water when I get up in the night, and I’ll drink 20 ounces overnight.

And why am I getting up in the night? Because I’ve got BPH, and deal with urinary urgency. Drinking water in the night generally means another wake-up or two in the night, but I’ve accepted that. Because - TMI alert - when I cut back water consumption to about 40 ounces a day, regularity suffered. I was sleeping better, but with no change in food consumption I don’t think my body was effectively ridding itself of stuff it didn’t need. I upped the water, and that’s addressed the issue.

(I tell people that my body is like a funnel - pours a liquid in at the top, and it comes out quickly down below.)
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,947 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I don't count my coffee or 0cal. tonic. I do drink at least 50oz. of well water a day (including the overnight BPH calls, plus anywhere from 4-8 1/2Liter bottles of sparkling water (flavored 0cal.) per day. I'm always thirsty (although A1c is 5.0-5.2).
    The water has replaced the 5-12 beers.
    If I don't drink enough, I get dehydrated and fall down go boom. ;)
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,826 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Al_Howard wrote: »
    The water has replaced the 5-12 beers.

I like a good beer, but your liver is probably pretty happy with that trade-off. 😊
  • Flintwinch
    Flintwinch Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I hydrate well, typically drinking an average of 8 oz hourly. I stop liquid intake about 2 hours before going to bed so I don't wake up in the middle of the night to make my bladder gladder.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,950 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I drink 16oz 1st thing in the am with my meds and suplements then I drink 12oz right behind that with fiber in it. Then 12oz of black decaf coffee. After breakfast I start drinking water and usually do my best to get in 2 thermos of 22-24 oz of plain water the remainder of the day putting my total between 68-88 oz a day.