How do you measure your swims?

Options
girlwithcurls2
girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
I'm just curious because pre-Covid, I was keeping track of distance. I could do more/less/the same for a workout than my usual. 2.5 years later, re-entering the pool, I was very unsure about whether or not I could manage the same workout or not. I tracked my laps again and found that I could still swim a mile (my hopeful goal), but I was not able to swim as often.

Also, I couldn't remember what my workout variety was, so I sort of started a new one. With this one, however, I am swimming for time, rather than number of laps. I am finding it more enjoyable, and no less easy or challenging. I suppose I will go back to tracking the number of laps at some point. I guess with reduced pool hours, I'm paying closer attention to what I want to be doing in the limited amount of time I have a lane.

Replies

• Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    I use a finger counter (Swim Count).
    I do 72 lengths in 25 YD POOL = 1.02 MILES
  • journey2ahealthierme
    Options
    I'm doing time currently - as I'm also only just back to it. But I'm keeping an eye on lengths so that over time I can keep track on progress - and how close I am to the magic mile :smiley:
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Both!

Some days you may take it a little easier and just swim for an amount of time or to a certain distance. This builds endurance and burns fat if that’s your goal.

Other days, you might go a shorter distance/time but focus on sprints or interval training to build strength and speed.

Its very common with swimmers who compete at the highest levels to alternate throughout a week or training season.
  • BowlStorm
    BowlStorm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For me, I use my Garmin Fenix 7X. My first Garmin was a Fenix 5X.
    Garmin is great for tracking.
    Stepping into the "way back machine", in 2018, when my previous job had me traveling to China way too much, I did a 20km pool swim. The Garmin did a great job tracking this.
    The pool was 22M. So I was doing 2200M sets with a short sip break. The Garmin app showed my average pace at 2:09/100M and total rest time just over 5 minutes. Total swim time 7:09:06.
    I was 58 at the time.
    Now, I'm recovering after a Vax related joint issue. Adhesive capsulitis in my right shoulder. Had manipulation under anesthesia in March. Working my way back to 2 miles a day now.