Rebooting group "Starting Weight 300+" for 2022's end & really for 2023

Options
Just had my first 'official' weigh-in yesterday, & I've "released" about 5 pounds. I also just joined and am rebooting this group. I figure now is a great time to start, ahead of or into 2023. For me, it's going to be a year of change, changing from my 300+ self into close to or at 'onederland'. It's a marathon, but it's also 'one day at a time'. Good luck to all who join the journey to better health and wellness!

Replies

• SeleneMoon333
    SeleneMoon333 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Update...down net 8 today, mid Dec. (Was down 7 then gained 4 so now down 5 for a total of net loss of 8) Not where I had hoped, but better than not!
  • SeleneMoon333
    Options
    Hi everyone here...and not here, lol...Happy New Year 2023! Let's have a jump-start January, generous January, or gentle January, your choice.

For me, I jump-started in November, and while I didn't hit my goal of -20 for '22, I *did* approach it (-13), and am hoping to reach #twonderland by the spring, & my goal for the year is to approach #onderland for '24. What are your goals for the new year?
  • kemeki
    kemeki Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey 3moons3! Thanks for restarting this group (even if it's just you and me so far!). My first goal is to lose 10% - but I have no time frame on how quickly I want that to happen. This time around in my dieting adventures I am trying to make it as sustainable and pressure free as possible. I'm focusing on food primarily, not exercise yet (though that's part of the 10% goal, once that happens I really should try to incorporate more physical activity). Good luck to you!
  • SeleneMoon333
    Options
    Hi Kemeki, sorry I somehow missed your post a week ago; 10% is a great goal: do-able, motivating, and you immediately reap health benefits...good for you. I just figured out I'm also going for 10%, but trying to reach it by end of Feb, as that's my birth month, though not gonna stress if I don't reach it. I'm also focusing more on food, but trying to get in some movement, at least 10 minutes a day. I also count "extra" cleaning that I wouldn't have done otherwise as I often try to incorporate low impact movements into it, so some days I get in 2 hours of exercise minutes, also walks, also other functional fitness like snow shoveling, yard work, and gardening. Also I hope to start doing youtube workout videos again at some point this month. Exercise helps motivate me to make healthier food choices, as it's a waste to exercise and then ruin it with unhealthy eating. Yay for us!
  • kemeki
    kemeki Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Movement/exercise was one thing I wanted to address in this group - since I figure those who are 300+ are more likely to understand my woes than those that are healthier (though maybe I'm wrong). Movement is so HARD. Just walking around the grocery store my back starts killing me. Climbing the many stairs to my office at work kills me - I have to stop and sit down and catch my breath before the last flight and half (out of 4). One of the reasons I hate and avoid cooking at all is because standing on my feet for "so long" gets me tired. I absolutely hate to get hot and sweaty - which is kind of a requirement for quality exercise and my heart health, but hating it makes it so much harder to get started.

I like that you try to get 10 minutes in a day, that seems almost feasible. And reminds me that I don't even have to start there, I can start with 5 minutes again. Or just... a few sets of squats here and there or what not. It's hard to remember that I can take baby steps and not dive in all at once.

Anyone have any other tips?
  • SeleneMoon333
    Options
    The 10 minutes a day thing was from sparkpeople which was the largest site (mfp was #2 then) for a decade or more but they opted to close the free site because there was no profit in it and focus on corporate. They suggested that you didn't even have to do it consecutively...you could do 1 min, take a break, and repeat, 9 times. Just marching in place works.

I've gotten winded at points in my fat life. I started on my journey to a healthier me again, here at mfp in Nov'22. I was a little winded when I started. I also had problems standing for more than 10 minutes, like to wash dishes or cook. So that's what I worked on in November, because I knew I would need to be doing holiday cooking. I also did some leaf raking, and *had* to shovel the driveway, because it had to be done, luckily not til late in Nov., but I was careful not to have a heart attack. It also pissed me off that I was so outta shape, which motivated me to make sure I got my daily 10 minimum since then. I'm not winded very much anymore, though I can't say for sure that 4 sets of stairs wouldn't get me too. But at least that's a great goal to work toward!
  • TamiVsTheTrail
    TamiVsTheTrail Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hey there,
    My starting weight was 312, I got down to 205 and then went back up to 285 before I got it back under control. I'm now at 260 and set a goal for myself of losing 50 pounds this year and doing 150 hikes. I started on Sparkpeople to and that 10 minutes a day starting point really made a huge difference and helping me realize I could do this. :)
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. 348 here. Gain 20 lbs in 2022 and 40 lbs in 2021. Looking to get ride of the 300s for good and maybe get to 285 this year. About the weight I was 2 years ago. Focusing on food and some exercise too.

For the person that said making food is hard. Get an anti fatigue rug I have one at the sink and a longer one for in front of the stove and counter top for prepping. One time is I never make 1 meal either. If I’m cooking, it’s going to be good for at least a couple of meals. I dish it out right there into single serve containers. Also do this with my snacks too.
  • SeleneMoon333
    Options
    Welcome everyone! I started Nov22 @ 344, 331 by NYrs, & down 1.6 yesterday. The anti-fatigue mat, and definitely batch cooking, and also shortcuts (pre-chopped frozen or salad bar veg (sometimes in regular produce section too) is key, since the calories in veg are so low and so important for our nutritious self-care. Also, fruit, mostly needs no prep. Protein can be slow-cooker dumped or bought prepared (rotisserie chicken is often cheaper than buying uncooked), take out, frozen, or roasted, or if you have 'em air-fried or pressure-cooked (insta pot), and of course microwaved, so you don't have to stand a lot in front of the stove stir-frying or saute-ing. I've been a bit sick lately, so my calories are WAY low, and mfp was telling me they were too low, lol. No "but I'm sick, and can't eat button" available. But, probably lose another pound that way, lol.

My plan is CICO (calories in, calories out); mfp set it at 1730, then popped it down to 1660, & wanted to pop it down more but I saw a 'no' option, so it's set at that. This past week, very carefully, I've eaten at or just above 1200, to kinda jump the year, for my morale, since I hadn't lost anything early on & actually had a couple binges. Doing better this evening.

Next week I'll go back to normal calories, and hope to do some youtube workout videos, a hike or 2, depending on the weather, also some more functional fitness. Only 2 more weeks in Jan., and I'd like to have a strong loss for the month. What's your next week looking like?
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Next week for me is continue school work and job hunt. With one interview on Tuesday
  • TamiVsTheTrail
    Options
    @3moons3 I don't know how youbdo 1200 calories. Mine is set to 1500 and I generally leave the calories I burn but will eat some od them on days I burn over 1200 calories. Today would be one of those days, a 9k hike needs a few extra calories.
  • SeleneMoon333
    Options
    Good luck linsey! BIG life changes for you in '23.

Tami-I don't do it often, the why: it takes supreme motivation, and I cut back on activity. I was feeling like such a slug...had a couple ~4k binge days the week before, and knew I needed to really get it together to have any sort of loss, in this, the last month of my 50's. My original goal was to hit twounderland by my 60th, or at least in my birth month of Feb, but not sure it'll happen, it means 30 pounds in let's see...6 weeks, nope, 5 pounds a week is not do-able. sigh. I *have* had some bigger losses when I've basically just started working a plan, and sometimes have been able to do a couple hours of movement & a drastic cut of 1200, but have often had it backfire on me, either quitting later or various other problems, maybe like feeling sick on Friday, though I think that was due to my sleep issues.

In terms of actual 'how' & numbers: I do some 'volumetric' eating, load up (for me, about 100g) of protein, cuz it really does fill you up. Lotsa veg, esp. big salads, too, for more volume. I eat bread but found some 'small slice' lower whole grain bread from 60-80 cals a slice. I love fruit, but maybe just some berries, or an apple, & maybe a banana. Normally @ 1660, I have two big skinny lattes, but I do black tea instead of one of them. For protein: I am doing a lot of greek yogurt...chobani zero has 60 cals; oikos zero has 90 cals & fage 0% plain is also low. Also reduced fat cheese on salads & as a dish enhancer, (20 cals per quarter cup savings), also skinless chicken breast a lot, or ground turkey or even low-fat beef, so lower fat numbers too. As a proportion of the 1200, about half is carbs, & protein is a third & remainder is fat. I moved 50 min Th, then sick Fri, so cut my 1200 week kinda short, back up around 1500, Sat&Sun. Anyway, enough detail, even I'm bored with it, lol. Have a good week!
  • Lisa_Marie1416
    Lisa_Marie1416 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I lost 60lbs about 10 years ago, thanks to low carb and MyFitnessPal. This is the most I've ever lost, but pretty much right after, I got pregnant. I now have two awesome boys, but have ballooned up, gaining the 60 back and more. It was super easy when it was just me and my hubby, but it's been extremely hard with my kids because I'm not restricting them. What doesn't also help is I telework... not far from the fridge! However, I feel my motivation is getting stronger bc I'm getting older and don't want to develop health problems and want to enjoy more activities with my kids. I hope by joining the group and writing this will help keep that motivation going!

Good luck to everyone :smile:
  • SeleneMoon333
    Options
    Welcome and good luck Lisa-Marie! Also big luck with the job interview tomorrow linsey!
  • TamiVsTheTrail
    edited January 2023
    Options
    @3moons3 I get the resetting and cutting back for a few days. I like that you focus on making sure you get enough protein, I think that's something a lot of us have to watch.

@Lisa_Marie1416 Learning to eat healthy and balance keeping kids happy is always a challenge. How are you doing? I telecommuted for most of my career and my highest was 312, ya, having the fridge right there can be hard. When I started I put out bowls of grapes in places that I would mindlessly grab snacks. I put them in fancy bowls and I found the appeal of them and the awareness of snacking on them really helped me get started. I went from 312 to 206 before things went sideways. When my daughter widowed while pregnant with her twins I started losing my way. It took 7 years but I put back on 80 pounds and got back to 288. I'm sitting at 256 today, I'm focusing on a 50 pound weightloss goal for the year and completing 150 hikes. Yesterday's hike was so beautiful, we started in the fog, it took about an hour before it lifted. I'm really happy to be back to eating healthy and going on adventures again. (My husband was a tad tired by the time I took his photo lol)
    Hike 14/150
    Down 9 pounds YTD
    o7vp9r65kpkz.jpg
    relnbiakr309.jpg
    wd8m3fz2rkxl.jpg

• SeleneMoon333
    Options
    Tami, those are great photos. It looked like that here today, though not as sunny. I didn't hike it...I *did* shovel the driveway, however, which took almost an hour. Love the idea of 150 hikes for the year. I just discovered freezing grapes, which, to me, gives them a texture like ice cream. I've been back up to my mfp recommended 1660 cals.

Hey Lisa Marie, Linsey, Kemeki...how are you doing?
  • MIssnewme9211
    MIssnewme9211 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, how is everyone doing? I am uncomfortable sharing my current weight. However, I will say that I need to get back on my grind of 10-pound intervals of weight loss. I have been having a challenging time with my food choices and being consistent. I am looking at life as if each day is a new day. I do have a 24-hour period, just like all of you beautiful people here. However, I have been thinking about time is not 24 hours of useful time. It is more like 12 hours in a 24-hour period. How do you all view time daily? e5batsmri9cd.png
  • TamiVsTheTrail
    Options
    @MIssnewme9211 it's hard to grind our groove sometimes. Don't let the number on the scale overwhelm you, it's just a starting point. I find it easiest to log all my dinners a week at a time and shop around that. It takes away a lot of stress each day trying to plan and I did it easier to manage calories. I've been leaving most of my workout calories each day but if I burn over 1000 I definitely eat some of it.

Got 20 hikes in this month, down 15 pounds. Woot! mmzr3gt898te.jpg
  • SeleneMoon333
    Options
    @MIssnewme9211 Love that graphic, and I think it's totally fine, no need to name numbers here; I was hesitant myself, but then disclosed other places, so then here. In terms of day, the 12 hour thing works for intermittent fasting, if that works for you; is that what you were saying? For me, who's usually a late nighter, my 'day' usually starts when I wake up, and continues almost always past midnight (I sometimes am eating salad then) and sometimes, if I stay up *way* too late, I end up bingeing because I'm sleep-deprived and not making good choices. Then +/= 8 hrs sleep, and a few hours before and after eating, so it's often about 12 hours in a 24 hour day.

@TamiVsTheTrail: another lovely pic! and CONGRATS on 15 pounds...wow, but 20 hikes that walked you down those 15 pounds is a great strategy. Also planning ahead a week is a great idea; I'm usually only able to plan a couple days ahead and some days not at all because I'm not the only one who cooks and both of us are very spur of the moment & reactive and there are lots of weird, small but disruptive things that come up with one fam member who has a neurologic issue.

I haven't weighed yet for end of month but just got back on my thyroid Rx today, so at some point that'll kick in. In a week, I turn the big 6 0, and it's kind of a bummer because I feel like I've been working my plan, pretty well, but not having any 10 pound losses either. But it's Candlemas/Imbolc (beginning of Feb) which means Spring equinox is about 6 weeks away and things'll start heating up and melting off...I can feel it. Also, maybe I need to be more accountable to myself, by *visually* noting my goals & daily steps that will lead to what I define as success. I track my eating here, but a monthly calendar with stickers &/ checkboxes is what I need to implement. Off to do so...have a great Fit Feb!
  • TamiVsTheTrail
    Options
    How's everyone doing?
    @SeleneMoon333 happy pre-birthday!
    I'm in awe of people who can do intermittent fasting. I'm a grazer and love breakfast so that's not going to work for me but there's always something for everyone.
    I'm up to hike 24 and down 18 pounds now. I'm excited for next week I'm hiking up to the glaciers, it's a 20k hike that I did in the summer, it will be all snow now.
    This morning I weighed in at 248, I haven't been that low since 2018 at least so I'm pretty excited to be down a size.
    With saying the starting weight, I was fine the first time around saying I was 312 but after going from 206 back up to 288 took me a lot to admit too, I felt like I had screwed up.

Onward and downward! Hope everyone is having a great week.