Let’s get this group moving.

Options
I keep sending friends request to then look at how old them posts are. I just turned 54. Im just doing one day at a time. Nice and steady. I’ve been good daily tracking food and only slipped for my birthday. I’ve really increased my water and decreased diet soda. I want to lose between 55-60 pounds this year. Im also fasting 18:6 hoping it gives me those health benefits I read about. Im slow at getting exercise going as I just found out my knee pain is arthritis. But I’m released by the doctor to start easing back into it. I was on here several years ago and it took a long time to gain it back…but not acceptable.

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,332 Member
    Options
    Moving is great. Moving is good. I'm going to move - just a walk through the 'hood.

I paddle my canoe, I row my raft. If I don't move my body, surely I'm daft.

A walk in the park is good for my health; improving my fitness is its own wealth.

So yeah, let's GET MOVING!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    Hi there, @StrawberryJam40, and welcome! Also, happy belated birthday.

Hmmm, is a birthday a slip, or a celebration? ;) At my age (67) I figure every year is a victory - especially as a cancer survivor and cancer widow - thus birthday's are worth some festivity, to me. Usually there's food and drink involved, realistically. (Experience suggests that the majority of my days will lead to the majority of my results anyway, so I don't worry much about that rare day or few in a year.)

I'm kind of an iffy MFP friend, more active here in the Community than on the friend-feed side of things, but I do accept friend requests. I still log my food most days (in year 7 of maintaining a healthy weight, after previous decades of overweight/obesity), log my exercise, answer DMs and stuff, but don't chat much over there.

I'm not all poetical like that nice Mr. Taratoot, but I'm also a human powered watercraft fan: I've canoed most of my adult life, but nowadays mostly row. It's those skinny boats like in the Olympics, except mine goes reeeaaalllly slooooowly by comparison. I also like to ride my bike on the trail system here (Michigan). Unfortunately, it's Winter here, my river is frozen, my trails are snowed, and I'm doing machine rowing and stationary biking so I don't have to start from zero in the Spring.

I'm with you on the knee pain: I have some arthritis, possibly not as severe as yours though, and at least one torn meniscus. I hope you find what I did, that getting stronger/fitter and (especially) lighter made a huge improvement. Much less frequent/severe pain or even discomfort these days!

It took some experimenting to figure out which types of exercises my knees could handle. Rowing (which many people don't realize is a leg sport) and cycling work for me, things with impact or torque don't (like aerobics or running). Some cautious experimenting may get you some good, fun options. I hope so!

55-60 pounds in a year sounds realistic, potentially: I lost 50-ish pounds in just under a year back in 2015-16, though I admit it was too fast for my own good for a while there. I've been up and down since, though all in a healthy range and the same jeans size. Currently in my Winter "slightly up" phase, working on "slightly down" slowly.

I hope the IF works out great for you: Finding that personalized approach that can work long term . . . that's nearly magical. I wish I'd made the commitment to a healthy weight decades ago, TBH. Better late than never, I guess!

Wishing you success . . . do keep posting, here or elsewhere in the Community. It's been surprising to me how much commonality there is in challenges and strategies, across all the age groups.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I'm still moving!

How about you?
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    Currently in my slow season at work. Things will start moving again in mid March.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Walked around the aquarium for a few hours, then went for a little 3.5 mile walk along the coast through the forest along a trail then down to the beach and back. It was a great day, and we pretty much had the beach to ourselves!

7fxr76b3wspy.jpg
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I did a couple walks today.

First I went into town, stopped for a bagel. I had two bagels. First bagel was a rye bagel with pastrami. Also comes with cream cheese, red onion, tomato, and green onion. And because why not, I got a plain Everything bagel to take home. Next stop was the post office to pick up mail. Final stop was by the co-op for some veggies to add to a bean salad I made later and some different flavors of n/a beer. I'm doing taste testing. Distance was approximately Pi miles (3.14).

1l4uylr2pzy0.jpg

Then I went out and took care of my raspberry canes. I pruned out all the primacanes from last year. Selected some of the floracanes from last year to become this year's primacanes, and tied them to the wire. I should have taken a "before" picture, but I did get the raspberries done.

2gz2kqwftdh1.jpg

It was a really nice day. The sun was out. It was relatively warm. I figured I better get back outside and enjoy it as the rain will be back tonight or tomorrow. I can do indoor chores tomorrow. So back outside I went for another walk! I forgot to turn on my tracking device until almost a mile into the walk, so I'm not sure how long it really was. I logged the last 2.34 miles.

kwe2lmvt5b1n.jpg

Did YOU get moving recently?

Let's hear about it!

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    Most of my Winter moving happens while I'm staying in one place (rowing machine, stationary bike). We did have a nicer than average day yesterday (with actual sun, something we haven't seen much of in the last month, and it was warm, around 40F). I took a walk with a friend, but only 3.28 miles (then went home, rowed in one spot, biked in another one spot, and moved some dumbbells here and there, and did my physical therapy exercises for a rotator cuff irritation problem). The walk was nice:

ykjmu9l9ulh1.png

More fun to see, though was the "on water" "row" I took in my sleep the other night, back and forth through my house (pink rectangle), out through the pole barn (left on map), and even into my South neighbor's living room, and my North neighbor's back bedroom. They didn't complain. I rowed really slowly, from looking at the splits, but I suppose that would be normal when rowing through buildings while asleep. (I guess I accidentally hit some Garmin buttons?)

15phjcligheb.png
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I am getting over my fear of getting back on my bicycle. I rode a half mile to a local establishment and back; neighborhood streets only.

When I worked, I was a year-round bicycle commuter except maybe one day a week when I would do truck errands on breaks, the days when the streets were covered with wet leaves for a few weeks, and the odd day when we would have ice/snow. Well, then in the summer, a motorist failed to yield right-of-way to me while they were turning. I was hurt a bit, and I've been skittish to get back on the bike.

I enjoyed my short ride tonight. It was still somewhat warmer out; it will cool off tonight. Monday night "they say" we might get some snow. I'm thinking about my next hikes.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I keep moving lately. Lots of walking and now back to a little hiking. Today was light; yesterday was more. I want to go explore some more of the trails in the area where I hiked out to on Friday.

I have a plan for the first of the next visits.

Tomorrow I will start slow with coffee but be ready to head out as soon as the fog clears. Weather window from 14:00 to 15:00 looks pretty good, so I'll try to get to the trailhead between noon and 13:00.

I am going to explore some land held as a private land trust open to the public for recreation. It's just west of the area I hiked into on Thursday. There's several miles of trails through different habitats. Some are old roads; some are trails, and there's lots of crossings. It's less than 300 acres, and part is along a river I have paddled many times. It should be interesting. It will still leave a whole bunch of other trails in the area to explore in the coming months. After tomorrow, we're expecting a week of less comfortable weather for hiking (wet and cold), so I will get time for indoor chores. I want to take advantage of the rare nice February days to get out.

• mtaratoot
    Options
    WARNING!!!! Check your base calorie goal daily for the next several weeks.

I just noticed this morning that mine reset itself. It has done this at least two other times that I caught and reset manually. I don't use the guided set-up. I sent a support ticket. Please do the same if you experience your goals changing without you changing them!

Last time I noticed within two days. This time was over two weeks ago. It started the day I got off the Colorado River - 25 April. It changed every few days, sometimes up and sometimes down, but generally up.

I set it back to the goal I know works for me. It explains why my weight wasn't responding the way I would have expected - my goal had changed without my knowing. Just be aware.