Living the Lifestyle: Wednesday, 02/15/2023

Options
misterhub
misterhub Posts: 6,301 Member
This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday – Flintwinch (Tim)
Wednesday - misterhub (Greg)
Thursday -imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday - Wildcard

Today's Topic: When you get your movement in...

...do you listen to music? Watch TV? Listen to an audiobook? Stare off into space?

Is there a need to distract yourself as you exercise (defined as you wish) by occupying your brain with something else?

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,490 Member
    Options
    When in the gym doing cardio machines, something I rarely do these days, I generally need a distraction. I’ve done TV, internet on my phone, and reading on Kindle. Doesn’t matter much exactly but I need something. When walking outside I’m generally just alone with my thoughts. That’s an added bonus to walking outside.
  • ClayandRocks
    ClayandRocks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I do not use distractions. I suppose I'd enjoy music, but I'm not motivated enough to figure out what equipment I need, get together a playlist, etc. I have found that I actually slow down or stop moving if I get too engrossed in a story, especially if I am using a cycle or step machine. I need to keep my mind on the motion when I am using equipment.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I used to listen to podcasts a lot when running outside. After my old iPod nano died, I never replaced it, and so I no longer listen to anything when I run (outside). I thought it would be hard to be undistracted, but it turns out that it's fine for me to be inside my own head. There's also the added safety bonus: I can hear if a car is around.

When I run on the treadmill, I usually watch a show on my kindle. It doesn't have to be very exciting, but rather it's simply a distraction. The treadmill is really boring!
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Like Steve on the treadmill, when I’m on the NordicTrack I’m watching recorded TV. It’s a chance to watch some things my wife doesn’t care to watch, like Port Protection. When I walk outside, I’m listening to an audiobook because the same old route just doesn’t hold interest over time.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,022 Member
    Options
    Not much regular movement for me I just stay fairly active most days. One Sunday hit 7k steps plus another Sunday around 5k steps.