Living The Lifestyle - Monday 2/20/23

Options
crewahl
crewahl Posts: 3,982 Member
This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday – Flintwinch (Tim)
Wednesday - misterhub (Greg)
Thursday -imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday - Wildcard

Today's Topic: Goal/ target weight/range

How and when did you establish what you consider to be your personal goal weight? What’s it based on? Have you changed it over time? Do you spend a lot of mental energy on it at this point?

Replies

• ClayandRocks
    ClayandRocks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have thought about it quite a bit in the past, but not so much in recent years.

Mine was originally based on the usual BMI categories and my personal history. I'm 5'9", and I have been as low as 155 lbs in my adult life (mid-20s). I am in fact somewhat big-boned, and when I was that weight a number of people thought I was kind of skinny. Gained about 30 lbs over 10 years, then got myself back down to the "upper end of normal" BMI target of 165 when I was in my late 30s. I liked how I felt at this weight and I maintained it for several years without too much effort, so it seems like a workable target. I then spent 25 years with much less physical activity and meandered between 180 and 200. This was the period in which I joined WW and for a while used the 165 target weight.

Now that I am older, even getting below 190 has become difficult -- I feel stressful emotions at lower weights. (However I am adamant that I will accomplish this to improve my health.) I use 175 as my target, because I think those last 10 lbs to the old ideal weight are going to be too problematic. I'd rather concentrate on increasing fitness than losing weight past that.
  • crewahl
    Options
    My official goal weight at 5'9” is 180 at the studio, and it was set by my doctor. I didn’t set a goal until about two years into the program, at a point where I thought I could actually get there. At my goal weight, I’m considered overweight per BMI (but right in the sweet spot per “smart BMI”). (At one brief point in college I was as low as 149, but I was just a ball of muscle at that po8nt - and not prepared to stay with it.)

My preferred range right now is about 172-176 at the morning weigh-in, since that keeps me two pounds or more below my goal, and four pounds within “free Lifetime”. Like Patioman (😉), I’m focused on health and fitness as much as on weight. I’ll never be a swimsuit model based on all the loose skin I’ve earned, but that’s just one MORE reason to keep my clothes on in public.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,490 Member
    Options
    175 lbs. I weighed 179 this morning. Highest acceptable WW weight was 184 lbs so that has always been my official goal. But in the 16 years I’ve been at goal I’ve been up to 186 lbs and down to 168 lbs. I think mid 170s is best for me now.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,022 Member
    Options
    200 lb personal goal. I graduated High School after being a defense table @ 275 around 5'10.5" Then dropped to 175 and kept it between 175 and 200 for around 20 years. It been down hill since my mid 40's. No complaints I did it to myself. Still working on it.
    Maybe one day.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    My official WW goal is simply the weight that gets me to "normal" on the BMI scale.

My personal target was developed in a more complicated manner. When I first joined WW, I got all the way down to my early high-school weight. That was definitely "skinny," and I enjoyed being able to wear smaller clothes, etc. Over time, though, that was really a lot of work to maintain, and when I started lifting weights, I realized that a few pounds of muscle were valuable. I found a weight where I felt good about myself (looks, clothes, health), but was not crazy to maintain and let me maintain some muscle as well. Unfortunately, that's 10-15 pounds lower than I've maintained over the past few years. Maybe it's my "older" metabolism, or whatever, but I haven't been able to get back down to that target weight very often. Nevertheless, I keep it in mind, because I worry that if I give up on it, and accept my current weight as my target, then there's no push to limit myself, and I'd let myself drift upwards. As such, I'm operating on the idea that some dynamic-tension is good to keep my weight in-check. It may be dumb, but that's how I seem to operate right now.
  • crewahl
    Options

It may be dumb, but that's how I seem to operate right now.

Laughing, because there are so many aspects of our lives where that closing statement could be true. I may just “borrow” it to be carved on my tombstone. It’s sorta the articulate version of “Hey, Bubba - watch this!”
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,301 Member
    Options
    Below 200. I've realized that is the best I probably will ever do, and it is plenty healthy for my body frame. Yes, I'd like to weigh less than that, but I'm being realistic.