Replies

• Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    5x M-F @ 1 mile at 50 minutes each
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,263 Member
    Options
    Finally back in the pool yesterday, and it felt great.

I got in a couple months ago but it had been so long my Zoomers wore a hole in my foot after two long days. Then I took a few days off to heal and got sidelined by injury. I'm looking to get back on the regular, at least until the weather is too nice to go inside and stick my face underwater.
  • journey2ahealthierme
    journey2ahealthierme Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yea to pool being open again Bruceapple, and great consistency on the swims.
    Ouchy mtaratoot. Wearing a hole in your foot doesn't sound great! But glad to hear you're back in now.
    I've been swimming fairly consistently since Christmas 4 times a week. Following a training program for a charity swim I'm doing at the end of this month. So today was 'swim for 3x 20 mins with 3 min rest between sets'. Got 2k in so very happy with that.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    2000 yards with mask & snorkel and zoomers. I need to leave the fins off for a while; they're starting to wear a hole in my foot again. Bummer about that. I reckon I could put some tape on my foot. It was nice to be back in the pool.
  • journey2ahealthierme
    Options
    Really wasn't feeling it today. So a paltry 20 minutes.
  • journey2ahealthierme
    Options
    But made myself go today despite lack of sleep due to a poorly pup. 3k today in 90mins.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I need to leave the fins off for a while; they're starting to wear a hole in my foot again. It was nice to be back in the pool.

I suspect you may have the wrong size of fins. I used to have the same issue until I went to SwimCo and tried on what felt like every model/size they had until I found a pair that had no tight spots.
    I agree - nice to be back in the water.

September every year is pool closure for annual maintenance.
    This year they had a second follow up closure in January as they had proven that multiple Water Circulation lines had cracked inside the cement foundation ( the joys of Northern Climates where the ground freezes and moves ) and were either pulling cement/sand particles into the filter/pump room or dumping them in the pool and then circulating back to the filter/pump room.

Sand/Cement are really hard on the pumps, heat ex-changer's and plug the filters in a hurry.

So they had to jack hammer/cut the cement foundations, replace the bad pipes - test them and them pour new cement. $$$$$$ just in cleaning after all the work to remove all cement/sand particles from the interior of the building.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I need to leave the fins off for a while; they're starting to wear a hole in my foot again. It was nice to be back in the pool.

I suspect you may have the wrong size of fins. I used to have the same issue until I went to SwimCo and tried on what felt like every model/size they had until I found a pair that had no tight spots.
    I agree - nice to be back in the water.

I think they are the right size. They are Size F which is US Men's 8.5 - 10. I wear a 9.5 or 10, so should be right. I think it's just because they were sitting in my locker for two years during COVID when I wasn't going to the gym. I think they may have just had a shape change from being in a bag without any support in the foot cup. I now have to stay out of the pool for a while for another reason, but I'll try again soon.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Former collegiate/trials swimmer here… back in the pool for the first time in a long time. Took it easy to protect my shoulders until I get some strength. Love being able to swim outdoors in socal.

500 warm-up
    300 reverse IM order, 50 drill /25 kick
    300 casual kick
    8x50 kick, 25 sprint/ 25 EZ on 1:00
    4x100 free, build each 100 on 1:30
    200 cool down

2,100 SCY
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Back in the pool after a long long gap… just 600m, but I’m aiming to build it back up again gradually to my previous - fairly sedate! - 1k.
  • juliet3455
    Options
    Our pool has started a monthly challenge and yearly distance challenge board, ie out do your previous years total distance.
    May was 750m Sprint Triathlon distance: with the idea of slowly improving your 750m time.
    Best was 18:35, average was around 20:26.

June is 400m - one of the distances Life Guards are required to complete in less than 10 minutes to get their qualification. Did a hard 750m yesterday and today attempted the 400m, was so close but so far away, 10:29. Actually happy with it considering the hard push yesterday.

Followed up with an easy 600m Back/Free mixed and a few drills.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. Not checked in for awhile but still swimming!
    May was probably biggest swimming month ever with 60k cumulative swimming in May.
    Good to see everyone on here still swimming!
  • juliet3455
    Options
    A cold water swim today - and that was in the pool

jrxffoumjyj0.jpg

This would mirror the temperatures in the local lakes and rivers right now.
    A lot of people dipped their toes in the water and headed to the steam room.
    I knocked off a nice 40 length - 1km set of front and back mixed.
  • gentlygently
    Options
    Another gentle 20/25 min swim for me today - but it felt easier than last time which was good and the pool was wonderfully quiet (3.30pm - just before the kids and commuters)
  • juliet3455
    edited July 2023
    Options
    In the pool again last night. Timed 750m ( Sprint Triathlon distance ) 20:21 so getting closer to my PB which was 18:35. Followed by 500m of backstroke - alternate Hard / Easy on the 25m. 1.25km total for the 45 minutes. Could of got a little more but I don't want to be " that person" who is always holding up the staff from getting out of the building at the end of the day.
  • Bruceapple
    Options
    Today: 1 mile@ 45 minutes
  • gentlygently
    Options
    Yes - another wee session in the pool which felt good (faster - or rather less slow!, and I went a bit further)… rebuilding the habit.
  • Bruceapple
    Options
    Today 1 mile @ 45 minutes
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Getting higher in yardage over the last few months so I don’t bust up my shoulders.

Todays workout (short course yards)

Warm up and Drills:
    600 warm up
    200 EZ kick
    600 pull - breathing every 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 5th, 3rd by 100
    400 reverse IM - 25 kick, 50 drill, 25 swim

Main Set:
    4x50 moderate effort (HR 120-130)
    2x100 build effort each 100
    200 EZ
    2x100 (HR 130-140)
    4x50 max effort (HR 150-170)