Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #3: Meal Plan

hicim705
hicim705 Posts: 5,862 Member
edited June 2023 in Social Groups
8hbioqlz78nz.png

❔What is the first thing you think of when you decide that you need to 'get healthy' and 'lose weight'?
❔What is at the top of the list when your doctor tells you that your blood pressure needs to be managed or that your cholesterol numbers are too high?

More often than not, they will suggest that you follow a low carb, low sugar, low salt, low fat, etc., etc., etc. diet. They may even give you a '2-pager' on what they might suggest for you to follow and then they tell you to make an appointment for a 6-month appointment to see how you are doing and out the door they go to their next appointment. This scenario is if you are one of the lucky ones. You could be one of those who have been brought to an Emergency Department of a hospital with chest pains, tingling in your limbs, shortness of breath, etc. After running a battery of tests your diagnosis is revealed and ultimately, as part of your discharge plan, your eating habits are once again attacked.

Most of the time, after such an appointment, you feel like a failure; you feel hopeless. Let me tell you, it is NOT you. Our food supply is tainted and clever advertising can entice us with delicious looking overly processed food that, if you think about it logically, CAN'T possibly be all that good for you!! Whatever you think about nutritional information that is shared within the media, the more ingredients in a food that you can't pronounce and the less work you have to put in to get something on the table - the more unhealthy the meal becomes.

Searching on the internet for ideas becomes even more confusing ... many sites tell you to eat this and not that or to eat that and not this, but if you look closely you will see that many of these sites are also sponsored by those that have a monetary interest in the 'healthy food' industry. Although I don't believe everything that I read, even from those sites that are 'experts', I think that a lot of what is written here is true. Please join me in reading the following article published by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/healthy_eating/index.html

Of course, there are plans out there like Weight Watchers, Nutrisystem, Noom, Atkins, Paleo, Keto - the list goes on and on. Unfortunately, there is no 'one size fits all' and various plans work better for some than for others. You have to decide what interests you and then give it a try. Knowing that weight-loss and healthy lifestyle is not the same for everyone lends itself to the fact that you can/will try many things before you find something that resonates with you and fits into your lifestyle and helps to get the results you need. Do some research; pick a plan to follow what piques your interest and follow that plan for a period of time.

In business, they talk about adopting processes in a 'plan-do-check-act' format. It means that there is a task that needs to be completed. You PLAN how to get that task done by doing research and developing steps that are needed to execute that task. You DO follow that plan and CHECK your progress. If you find a flaw in the plan, you ACT to correct your steps to eventually have a satisfactory outcome. You really can use this 'plan-do-check-act' approach in many aspects of your own life. Why not try this approach to find the nutritional plan that resonates with you? What meal plan are YOU following for YOUR healthy lifestyle journey?

> > > > Of course, any and all of these recommendations NEVER, EVER supersede recommendations from your healthcare provider. We are all individuals and are all at different stages of life (and health) which sometimes dictate what we can and can't eat. If you are under a physician's care and a meal plan has been recommended for your specific needs, please continue following your doctor's orders! < < < <

📓Your assignment: Your assignment: Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #3: Meal Plan

It doesn’t matter if you have been searching for ‘the plan’ that resonates with you or you are doing something that is working for you, write it down!! If you blog
Feel free to add your comments to this thread outlining your meal plan for a successful 2023 Spring 5% Challenge (if you blog, you may add the link to your blog here or you may simply wish to copy/paste your writing here - or do both!), but please consider sharing!!

Remember to feel proud of each and every day that you 'work your plan', however, if you have a day where you find you stumble, don't dwell on it; pick yourself up; dust yourself off and keep walking toward your goal(s).

We invite you to add your comments to this thread outlining your goal setting plans for a successful 2023 Spring 5% Challenge (if you blog, you may add the link to your blog here or you may simply wish to copy/paste your writing here - or do both!), but please consider sharing!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PLEASE NOTE: The Seasonal 5% Challenge Teams are very active. You will be expected to participate to the best of your ability.

ALL challenge weeks run from Saturday through Friday - you will be expected to record your exercise and Living the Good Life points based on weekly Challenge Themes. You are expected to record these points daily or at least as often as you can during the week but no later than 11:59 pm each Friday (your local time). In addition, you are expected to weigh in one time per week by 11:59 pm every Saturday (your local time). Your individual team leaders and/or team mates will help to answer any and all questions about where to record your points.

🔮Our individual Spring 5% Challenge Teams are currently being set up.

✉️You will be invited to your individual team soon, in enough time to get to know your team leaders and team mates. Until then, get to know some of the Challengers that will be participating right along with you.

📢Announcements will be made when invitations to your individual teams are sent. Please visit this team, the 2023 SPRING 5% COMMUNITY TEAM often as this will be the best source for up-to-date information.

Previous Pre-Challenge Activites (consider reading/participating in one or all of them):
** Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #1: INFORMATION and YOUR INPUT! ℹ️🔠
Here is the link: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10887289/countdown-pre-challenge-activity-1-information-and-your-input-ℹ️#latest

** Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #2: SET SOME GOALS!
Here is the link:
https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10887403/countdown-pre-challenge-activity-2-set-some-goals/p1?new=1

Heidi (hicim705)
Overall Co-Leader, Seasonal 5% Challenges (hosted on MFP)

Replies

• hicim705
    hicim705 Posts: 5,862 Member
    edited March 2023
    📓Your assignment: COUNTDOWN ACTIVITY #3: Meal Plan

It doesn’t matter if you have been searching for ‘the plan’ that resonates with you or you are doing something that is working for you, write it down!!

If you blog, feel free to add your comments to this thread outlining your meal plan for a successful 2023 Spring 5% Challenge (if you blog, you may add the link to your blog here or you may simply wish to copy/paste your writing here - or do both!), but please consider sharing!!

Remember to feel proud of each and every day that you 'work your plan', however, if you have a day where you find you stumble, don't dwell on it; pick yourself up; dust yourself off and keep walking toward your goal(s).

We invite you to add your comments to this thread outlining your goal setting plans for a successful 2023 Spring 5% Challenge (if you blog, you may add the link to your blog here or you may simply wish to copy/paste your writing here - or do both!), but please consider sharing!!

I will be getting back to basics ~ tracking whatever I eat and counting calories. My goal is to eat healtier with lean meats and plenty of seasonal 'freggies'. I will aim to stay away from processed foods and I will also stay away from added sugar.

Heidi (hicim705)
    Overall Co-Leader, Seasonal 5% Challenges (hosted on MFP)
  • LindieMaeP
    LindieMaeP Posts: 5,078 Member
    Your assignment: COUNTDOWN ACTIVITY #3: Meal Plan

The DASH diet is what I will be following and that includes preplanning my shopping list to make sure I have what I need to make meals at home OR know what I can have when I eat out such as if I am at WENDYs then I KNOW I can have the Chile and enjoy it!
    https://www.dashdiet.ca/ just incase you want to know what it is about - just right click and open in new tab that way this one stays open.
    Here's my book I am using:
    ej3l44k0rpvj.jpg
  • CSEGUIN2
    CSEGUIN2 Posts: 5,635 Member

It doesn’t matter if you have been searching for ‘the plan’ that resonates with you or you are doing something that is working for you, write it down!! If you blog
    Feel free to add your comments to this thread outlining your meal plan for a successful 2023 Spring 5% Challenge (if you blog, you may add the link to your blog here or you may simply wish to copy/paste your writing here - or do both!), but please consider sharing!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My plan is to stay in the range of 1480 and 1700 calories. I will do this by planning my meals the day before and make them as healthy as possible. I will also continue to try and keep my sodium intake low most days.
  • macrat12
    macrat12 Posts: 6,309 Member

My plan is to track macros inside the 1st Phorm app.
  • katiecondy1
    katiecondy1 Posts: 3,904 Member

OK, I have to admit ..I am a lazy planner, if planning can be called what I do. Open fridge or cabinet..what is there that sounds good. I honestly would do well with a plan that set food in front of me and said..this is what you can eat today. No planning..just fix and eat, especially when summer comes! I get so busy that I forget to eat then when the world turns gray or I feel sick I remember I haven't eaten since yesterday at xyz time..whoops!!
    I did great on WW points plan but found the focus on food,,thinking about food,,fixing food,,planning food just meant way too much attention on food. My mind wants to eat and go..there are other things to do rather than eat all the time. I have honestly considered those "they ship it to you" plans..expensive!!
    So I need a private dietitian to plan my meals ,,hand me a menu and say that is it for this week..one cheat day but other than that stick to the plan!! expensive (and I am an RN-I know how to do this..just do not wanna).
    DASH DIET- gonna give it a serious shot. Plus cooking for one..eating alone is not my idea of fun. I love to cook big meals, have a crowd around the table and watch everyone enjoy the meal I created for them.
    Now I need to figure out how to paste that feeling in my mind for me. Carb-O-holic would describe me..I love bread, rolls, oh heck baked goods..and oh please do not turn me loose alone with a pie!!
    Gonna focus like the lil red train headed up that big hill...I think I can,,I think I can ..I think I can!!!
  • deskjockey925
    deskjockey925 Posts: 5,822 Member
    Your assignment: Your assignment: Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #3: Meal Plan

My meal plan will be planned ahead and tracked.

Breakfast - I usually go with Smoothies for breakfast weekdays .. being careful to choose fruits and yogurt with the very least amount of sugar. For the weekend, eggs, grits (rather than potatoes) and meat or veggies

Lunch - Dinner leftovers or Salad

Dinner - I plan 10 meals ahead and choose one the morning of the day. I have mostly lean meats (chicken, pork) but some beef I rotate in as well. I try to ensure 1/2 my plate is veggies.

I avoid sweets entirely (I began this in February at my doctors suggestion. It has not been as hard as I thought it would be, and my BG Readings have reduced by 10 points on average.)

I also do not bring snacks into the house that cause me to binge. I have veggies cut up and hard boiled eggs made. I reason with myself that if I am not hungry enough to snack with these, then I am bored - not hungry.
  • Ceriusly1
    Ceriusly1 Posts: 6,235 Member
    @LindieMaeP @katiecondy1 and anyone else that's interested, Dash is the plan that Penn State teaches to their heart patient clients and is also the plan they used in their Weigh to Win. LOL, I should know it by heart and should definitely use it because I have seen it work miracles for people.
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 13,614 Member

I have counted calories for a zillion years it seems. LOL hey if it works do not fix it!! I'm going into maintenance this round. I've been at the same amount or near the same amount for a long time. With my health going down, I do not want to gain. This has been working for me so I'll maintain my habits. The only real difference is trying to get in more freggies, and have been over the past week though it's not by much, it's still more than it was.
  • cormierannie
    cormierannie Posts: 5,277 Member
    i plan to follow the mediterranean diet pretty much. i find it very tasty, filling and so enjoyable.
  • itladyee
    itladyee Posts: 5,072 Member
    I plan to follow the MCD (Mayo Clinic Diet) with a focus on simplicity. I try to have variety in my meals and I think I just make things too complicated.

According to the myplate link - I should consume 1600 calories a day. I seem to maintain in that range. My focus will not be calories -although the plan will tell you how many calories you've had - but on servings of fruit, vegetables, protein etc. based on their recommendations.

I've learned that just Calorie Counting gets me in trouble as well. Perhaps focusing on more healthier, nutritionally dense foods will also me to eat at 1600 and lose.
  • Retired_Sue
    Retired_Sue Posts: 13,023 Member
    Meal Plan- I try to follow Pahla B's 5-0 method for weight loss which includes more than just a meal plan (water/sleep/moderate exercise/mind management), so I have a small calorie range that I target each day which should keep me in the slight caloric deficit needed to lose weight. I know that when I have days that are a bit too carb heavy, that I see the effects of that so I do try to balance my carbs/protein/fats and focus on getting enough protein. Tracking (I use Lose It) does help me to ensure that I'm in my calorie range and keeping the three macros balanced in the way that I want them to be.
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Meal Plan
    I do most of the cooking on Sundays and scoop during the week. Currently doing a large salad with mixins daily (avocado, beet, garbanzos), oatmeal w/protein powder in the am, and something small when I get home. Starting tomorrow will be doing 1 or 2 protein shakes as will be off work for a week and a bit. Push water, fiber, leafy greens. More fish
  • micaroo4
    micaroo4 Posts: 3,961 Member
    📓Your assignment: Your assignment: Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #3: Meal Plan

On Fridays, I do meal planning for the week ahead and shop.

Breakfast is a smoothie Monday through Saturday. Sunday is my splurge day, I have eggs or french toast.

Lunch is soup or salad.

Snacks are usually baby carrots with hummus, a piece of fruit, and a greek yogurt.

Dinners are either a salad, or cooked veggies. On Friday night, I have pizza with an old friend from high school. On Saturday, Rich and I sometimes go out for dinner, but otherwise it's veggies.

I avoid sweets except for fruit and yogurt. I struggle to get enough protein, so that's something I have to monitor closely when I'm tracking. I get most of my protein from beans. If it's looking like I haven't had enough protein for a few days in a row, I'll get some fish or chicken. For a quick protein fix, I have tuna (I keep 1 or 2 pouches on hand just in case) or nuts, cottage cheese or goat cheese (which goes on my salad).

My indulgence is 1 square of dark chocolate (86%), but not every day. I sometimes will indulge in a cup of chai.

-Mica/Mission Slimpossibles
    My 4-year goal anniversary will be April 3 :smiley:
  • lavalily
    lavalily Posts: 2,405 Member
    COUNTDOWN ACTIVITY #3: Meal Plan
    My doctor has recommended that I eliminate wheat and basically all grains for a while to see if that will help me get rid of some stomach issues. She also wants me to increase my protein, as I usually eat lots of Freggies and good breads and forget about the protein. That's not an easy switch for me. I don't need to lose lose weight because I've been on WW maintenance for over 15 years, but I need to feel better in general and get rid of some stomach issues. Living alone means I cook only for myself, and sometimes it's easier to snack than to fix a real meal.
  • amyrob117
    amyrob117 Posts: 90 Member
    I couldn't bear to think about having to plan one more thing in my life, so I am trying out this meal planning app called PerfectBody. It let me choose the amount of time to focus on meal prep and since I am not that great at planning ahead, I chose the prepare in 30 minutes or less recipes. So far, they have been very easy to assemble and have been surprisingly good as far as taste goes. If I don't like the option provided, they give me other options to pick from. I don't have to do too much thinking and I can focus on just getting a healthy meal prepared. I have only been using this app three days so we will see how I like it the more I use it.

Amy/ Rain Dancers
  • paceka2
    paceka2 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #3: Meal Plan

Every Friday I pull out my calendar and my recipes and create a meal plan for that week ahead, often doing 2 weeks at a time. I am focused on adding more fruits and vegetables to our meals, simpler meals that don't take a lot of prep time, and meals that include plenty of protein. My goal is to make more things from scratch to get away from the pre-processed foods.

Over this challenge I would like to add one new vegetable to our diet. My husband isn't a big vegetable fan but if I make it he will eat it.

I would also like to get away from fast foods. Because of the back surgery I hadn't been able to do a lot of cooking for a long time. So the easiest thing to do was get something out which has become a bad habit.
  • MidlifeCrisis78
    MidlifeCrisis78 Posts: 1,174 Member
    My plan:

1600 calories or less... 3 meals, 2 snacks... Meals 400, 200 cal snacks.
  • marg750me
    marg750me Posts: 3,442 Member
    My plan

I will follow my own plan I know what should be eaten. I have a recipe box of favorite recipes and a bunch of things I just know how to make. I have most foods needed on hand. Buy fast foods only when ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY
  • Chubbynomore10
    Chubbynomore10 Posts: 1,212 Member
    Dr Dean Ornish's "Reversing Heart Disease" with a simple modification
    Plan is very low fat, meat free, only animal product is fat free yogurt and that only for the B12
    many fruits and veggies, with high fiber.
    Since I am now on a statin I will add a few fats but only those that are healthy and only in small amounts.
    My heart doctor let me do the strict plan for 6 months but it didn't bring down my numbers enough....personally I think I was magnesium deficient. Adding magnesium citrate now. This plan has helped me lose weight and kicked my blood sugar in the pants.....fbs this morning was 92 and just now (just before bed) it is 88.

I do not eat fast foods. I make my own fat free salad dressings.
  • Chubbynomore10
    *******VERY VERY VERY IMPORTANT INFO ABOUT MY EATING PLAN PLEASE READ**********
    I eat between 40 and 50 grams of fiber daily but if you add more than 5 grams of fiber at a time, before your body gets used to it, it will cause gas, cramping, and constipation. If you choose to raise the fiber in your diet, raise it no more than 5 grams each day and do not go up the next day unless all is well. If you feel gassy or constipated, wait until you have moved and feel normal, then skip a day before you go up another 5 grams.
  • Chubbynomore10
    edited April 2023
    I also eat whole grains,beans, and peas. Basically anything except meats. I eat very small portions of fatty fish not fried twice a week now. Wish I hadn't made my entry so late last night. Didn't get all the details in too late to edit that now.
  • Ceriusly1
    Ceriusly1 Posts: 6,235 Member
    bump up