Living The Lifestyle - Monday 5/22/23

Options
crewahl
crewahl Posts: 3,790 Member
This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday – Wildcard
Wednesday - misterhub (Greg)
Thursday -imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday - Wildcard

Today's Topic: Morning Brew

What’s your default morning beverage? What it made with, how do you prepare it, how do you take it, etc.?

Replies

• crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,790 Member
    Options
    I like coffee. One cup a day, generally, fresh ground and brewed at home. I’ve got a burr grinder for the beans, and a high-temp drip machine. I use Kona coffee we get direct from the farm; it’s a place we toured the first time we went to The Big Island. I alternate between a dark roast and a medium roast flavored with macadamia nut oil. I’m more of a coffee geek than a coffee snob*.

I’ve done French press, and it does seem to add a bit more taste. Presumably, though, according to some studies it lets in a little more of the potentially cancer-causing thingies, so I’m off that for a while. (It was marginally worth the extra work to do French press, but not with the added risk.)

*A coffee geek cares about what he drinks; a snob cares about what you drink.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,189 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Coffee. How many cups depends on the day. My initial cup is almost always from a pour-over, which is my favorite method, followed by the French Press. The pour-over removes most of the bitterness while maintaining the flavor.

IMHO, it improves the taste of even cheap coffees. However, some coffee simply tastes like *kitten* regardless how you brew it.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,907 Member
    Options
    About 4 cups (mugs) of French Roast.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,845 Member
    Options
    2 cups of Dunkin Donuts made in a drip machine every morning. 1st cup is regular, 2nd cup is decaf both made with a splash of 1% milk. On those occasions when I am having breakfast for lunch or dinner IE a scrambled egg sandwich, there will probably be another cup of decaf.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,940 Member
    Options
    I'm with @cakeman21k on this. I have one travel mug of Dunkin Donuts' coffee (French vanilla) from a regular drip machine, with some Splenda. This is a hold-over from my time(s) living in Boston.

On Shabbat we don't "cook" (i.e., freshly heat) water, so I make Folger's instant coffee using water from an urn that we fill before Shabbat starts. It's not the best, but it was easy to get used to!
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Black tea without milk. Prior to dairy allergy, I added a big glug of whole milk. Never sugar. Sometimes two mugs but never more.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,189 Member
    Options
    whathapnd wrote: »
    Black tea without milk. Prior to dairy allergy, I added a big glug of whole milk. Never sugar. Sometimes two mugs but never more.

I like black tea; but, with the exception of Earl Grey, I cannot drink black tea without sweetener or lemon juice. If I do, I become pretty nauseated.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Coffee. Currently from a Keurig. Usually 3 10 oz cups. 2 half caf, 1 de caf They actually make half caf pods.

We switched to making half caf about 15 years ago. It’s what I’m used to now.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,942 Member
    Options
    8-12 oz of decaf coffee black depending on which cup I grab.