Pre-Challenge Activity #2: SET SOME GOALS!

Options
kaliswalker
kaliswalker Posts: 1,234 Member
edited June 2023 in Social Groups
fgx0qz1syq73.png

Plan your 5% Journey by SETTING GOALS. Our previous activity discussed why you are here and what you would like to get out of your 5% Challenge Journey. Please consider your thoughts about that first activity and expand upon those thoughts. Please think about this carefully, it may be the most important plan that you will make for the entire challenge. There are several hundred MFP members who have joined the 5% Challenge and every one of them has a unique reason for wanting to 'become healthy'. Don't look at it as losing weight, although for many, that is the ultimate goal. Think of this as a chapter in your life leading you from where you are now to where you want to be. Think of how you feel today ... think of how you want to look and feel tomorrow. Make a plan, a realistic plan that will help you get to your goal.

You won't be able to visualize what YOUR tomorrow looks like without having a plan in place. Think of your overall plan, then set some goals ~ small measurable goals to help you to. Set goals for small, specific tasks that will give you a sense of accomplishment and will help to motivate you to keep moving forward.

MFP is a site designed toward a healthy lifestyle, so you have already taken one important step in your personal healthy lifestyle journey. Yet, a healthy lifestyle is much more than what you eat or how much you exercise.

Try to think about achieving balance in your life which is necessary to have a healthy lifestyle.

~ Set a specific goal (or goals). Do you want to fit into an outfit that you haven't been able to wear in some time? Do you want to walk around the block effortlessly? Do you want to be able to bend over to tie your shoes? Remember - this is YOUR goal ... YOUR journey ~ give your goal(s) some thought.

~ Once you've decided on your goal(s), give yourself a timeline. For this purpose - you already have a timeline ... the 5% Challenge ~ commit to it! A seasonal challenge lasts 8 weeks. Each week consists of 7 days. 7 days X 8 weeks = 56 days. 56 days from beginning to end. What can YOU accomplish in 56 days?

~ WHY? Ask yourself this simple, but VERY important question. WHY are you doing this? Give this simple question some serious thought. There is no right or wrong answer to YOUR why, but be honest with the answer.

~ EXERCISE? Make an appointment to do it and put it in whatever calendar you use. Treat it as a doctor's appointment or an appointment to have your hair done. Create this appointment and stick to it ~ make it a priority. Consider a 30-minute workout at lunch time, 3 days/week or you might want to work out for 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes after work. Whatever time you have carved out for this 'self care' ~ keep this important appointment with yourself.

~ NUTRITION? How will you nourish your body? You can Google anything/everything having to do with weight loss and you will come up with a list of do this and/or don't do that. The list is sure to include: Paleo, Atkins, Keto, Intermittent Fasting and everything in between. Most nutrition-based articles agree: nutrient-dense and well-balanced meals are what you should strive for.

📓Your assignment: Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #2: SET SOME GOALS!

In order for you to make/execute a plan, please also write it down. If you blog, that is an excellent way to record your plan ~ you will also be able to go back to review your writing and reaffirm your commitment to yourself and your healthy lifestyle. To blog on MFP, please visit and join: ✍️🖊️📓💻 Seasonal 5% Challenges ~ BLOGGERS!! ✍️🖊️📓💻.

Here is the link: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/143978-️-️-seasonal-5-challenges-bloggers-️-️

Remember to feel proud of each and every day that you 'work your plan', however, if you have a day where you find you stumble, don't dwell on it; pick yourself up; dust yourself off and keep walking toward your goal(s). We can all have a 'whoops day' it what you do the next day after that counts.

Feel free to add your comments to this thread outlining your goal setting plans for a successful 2023 Summer 5% Challenge (if you blog, you may add the link to your blog here or you may simply wish to copy/paste your writing here - or do both!), but please consider sharing!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PLEASE NOTE: The Seasonal 5% Challenge Teams are very active. You will be expected to participate to the best of your ability.

ALL challenge weeks run from Saturday through Friday - you will be expected to record your exercise and Living the Good Life points based on weekly Challenge Themes (Healthy Habits). You are expected to record these points daily or at least as often as you can during the week but no later than 11:59 pm each Friday (your local time). In addition, you are expected to weigh in one time per week by 11:59 pm every Saturday (your local time). Your individual team leaders and/or team mates will help to answer any and all questions about where to record your points.

🔮Our individual Summer 5% Challenge Teams are currently being set up.

✉️You will be invited to your individual team soon, in enough time to get to know your team leaders and team mates. Until then, get to know some of the Challengers that will be participating right along with you.

📢Announcements will be made when invitations to your individual teams are sent. Please visit this team, the 2023 SUMMER 5% COMMUNITY TEAM often as this will be the best source for up-to-date information.

Pre-Challenge Activites (consider reading/participating in one or all of them):

Pre-Challenge Activity #1: INFORMATION and YOUR INPUT! ℹ️🔠
Here is the link: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10891802/pre-challenge-activity-1-information-and-your-input-ℹ️#latest
Heidi (hicim705)
Overall Co-Leader, Seasonal 5% Challenges (hosted on MFP)

Replies

• Dgrodis
    Dgrodis Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I posted them on #1. But I can say that I plan on getting my waist to 27/28 inches.
    Right now I am at 30".
    Too much couch time after work and snacking.
  • joywilson383
    joywilson383 Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    My goal is to fit into a size 8 pants.
  • Sableness
    Sableness Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    Keep up new habit of mall walking when it’s too hot to walk anywhere else.
    Make the challenge goal this round. Proud of myself today: I ate well at a potluck.
  • Lizmossman
    Lizmossman Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My neice is getting married in December so would like a new outfit that is not designed to camoflage the lumpy bits. My ideal weight should be between 98lbs - 132lbs but happy to get to 135lbs and maintain it. I am going to see how it feels as I get closer as we are all different I do not believe they accurately predict your ideal weight. That is 16lbs to lose, which would be an average of 3.2 a month, my problem is that I have been on a plateau for weeks and go on holiday this week (cruise) so aiming to not stay stable while away and hoping this challenge will kick start the weight loss when I get back. I am also doing this to get fitter and stronger so I can enjoy my retirement.
  • nbruns83
    nbruns83 Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    1. Increase the ratio of jogging to walking when I go on my daily cardio workouts.

2. Make use of my subscription to Essentrics workouts. (I will start June 7.)

3. Face the tape measure and record the inches, planning on NSV.
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 12,211 Member
    Options
    Ive given this thought over the past 24 hours.

Goals: Keep my potassium and kidney functions up. Without these being in balance my body comes to a standstill and I end up in bed instead. I'll keep the potassium up by paying strict attention to my water weight from heart failure, this means weighing in daily (No issue, I do this part easily) but acting on it when I notice a 2 lb gain. Thankfully my Dr is on board with me on this. We think we have this figured out med wise, so long as my body does not reject any meds I am on or I become to used to the meds and they stop working as well. That happens also easily.

Goal to eat more and more beneficial. I NEED to continue to watch my sodium!! Too much, I swell up, not enough oops also. I can tell if not enough, I horribly crave salt, the trick is NOT to allow this so I can "have more" sodium. As a diabetic may at times let their go off so they "have junk food" it can fit in my case also, but
    that's no help in either case. I'm a diabetic again, we are watching this closely. I am food controlled hopefully I'll never be on medication for this. It runs very heavily in my family. I have 4 brothers 1 is very thin another one is very active at the correct weight, they are both insulin dependent.

Lastly, exercise. I can't get out when it's hot or muggy. I have so many plans to be active inside though!! I did this last summer also my place was super clean. I WANT this again!! I am downsizing. This will help me so much. I will get outside on the days I can, I love being outside. Also later at night, and walking in stores. I love what my sweet Mom taught me growing up "Where there's a WILL there's a WAY!" She was so right!!!
  • Rigibann
    Rigibann Posts: 3,663 Member
    Options
    Quite simply - my goal is not to fail this time!
  • 130StrongerEachYear
    130StrongerEachYear Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    My goal by 9/2 is to get down to 168#. This is a little less than a pound a week from today which is a realistic weight loss goal. I will walk an average of 7500 steps a day by the last week. I will do a set of exercises 10 repetitions a day by 9/2 starting with 1 repetition a day now. I will be able to hold a plank for 45 seconds by 9/2. I have been inactive for so long I need to increase slowly and build strength gradually. The tortoise taught us that slow and steady wins the race.
  • harvest_fairy
    harvest_fairy Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    One goal is to hopefully lose at least 5-10 pounds possibly more. One goal is to have more structured workouts.
  • mrsjcw2007
    mrsjcw2007 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My goal is to go to the YMCA at least 2-3x/week, and be consistent with healthy eating by tracking. I am aiming to eat at least 70g of protein daily and drink at least 80L of water daily.
  • Lessennan
    Lessennan Posts: 2,961 Member
    Options
    My goals are
    Eat well
    Exercise daily
    Sleep 8 hours daily
    Achieve my 5% goal loss this challenge
  • digger61
    digger61 Posts: 3,795 Member
    Options
    My goals are
    Eat better log more
    Exercise daily
    Up my cardio
    Achieve my 5% goal loss this challenge
  • paceka2
    paceka2 Posts: 777 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    My goals: longer walks; more days at the gym, and eat healthier foods. I also want to get back to over 10,000 steps per day.
  • marg750me
    marg750me Posts: 2,759 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    To finally lose some of these last 20lbs.

Eat more fruit for snacks which is better for me

Increase strength exercising

Walk 10,000 steps a day
  • actualbearsss
    actualbearsss Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My goals are:
    • Lose 15-16 lbs (getting under 300 lbs)
    • Comfortably walk a mile
    • Settle into a consistent exercise habit
    • Wear my smart watch more often
  • hicim705
    hicim705 Posts: 5,249 Member
    Options
    My goals are:
    ~ Lose 5% during the 2023 Summer 5% Challenge, if at all possible
    ~ Walk, 7,500 steps each and every day (I've done this consistently for 2023 and want to contine)
    ~ Walk/move 23 miles/week for every week during 2023 (So far I've managed to meet this goal with the exception of 1 week).
  • Kristen525c
    Kristen525c Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Nourishment
    - Eat breakfast every day
    - Drink at least 96oz of water (3 fill-ups in my favorite cup) daily
    - Track ALL food
    - Be more aware of carbs and reduce overall intake
    - Meal plan weekly and stick to it so I don't fall back on old habits/eat out

Movement
    - Wear my fitness watch every day
    - Walk 5000 steps per day minimum (I work from home so this rarely happens)
    - Walk on the treadmill at least 3 days per week
    - Take short breaks every hour to get up and move while working

Self-Care
    - No electronics at least 30 minutes before bed
    - In bed no later than 10 PM every night
    - Wake up by 6:30 AM for a half hour of quiet before everyone gets up and moving
    - Read 15 minutes per day
    - Journal for a few minutes every day to reflect and track progress
  • melissaaridgeway
    melissaaridgeway Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    My goal is to break the 100lb barrier and get back into One-derland, which I haven't seen in 15 years. I think by the time this challenge starts and when it ends, I should be crossing that milestone line right near the end, so I think I can do it.

That aside, I have a harder goal of exercising every day. A circuit of squats/lunges/pushups/sit-ups/planks I plan to do at least once a day, if not multiple times a day. Also, I'm going to "clip my wings" and do a whole tricep regimen so that dreaded arm flab goes away! However, I started to clip my wings today, so it won't just be for the summer 5% challenge, but it will carry on over into it.
  • iLive2Walk
    iLive2Walk Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    My Goals:

1. Continue to lose; looking for a pound a week
    2. Keep moving - Log 700 active minutes on my fitbit
    3. I am on a goal to log 2,023 fitbit miles in 2023; half way there.
    4. Add strength and flex exercise to my weekly routine.
    5. Drink more water
    6. Take some time for "me"
    7. Try a new recipe weekly
  • Marileighea
    Marileighea Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    My plan is to walk 90 min a day most days of the week and reduce my calories enough to lose one pound a week in order to bring my A1c blood sugars down to at least 6.