About 1400 calories give or take and still cant lose

Options
I'm so freaking frustrated with eating less calories than average and still staying at my current weight . I've upped my protein intake and cut back on most of the simple carbs. Anyone else dealing with this *kitten*? I'm 56 active about 5 days a week . What am I doing wrong!?

Replies

• journey2ahealthierme
    journey2ahealthierme Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Oh, I hear ya. I'm 1600 average (MFP gave me 1260, and Garmin gives me the extra for my 7 day a week exercise regimen). I've not lost a thing in about 6 weeks.
    However... it was about 6 weeks ago I upped from swimming 4 times a week to adding in kick boxing 3 times a week. Both of which are also increasing in intensity. Swimming cos I'm training for an event and KB cos I'm grading. So I figure it's a mixture of my fibroids/PM status, my exercise levels currently, my stress levels over our poorly pooch and - frankly - mostly due to my less than stellar logging. Even when I'm really 'on it' I'm still eating takeouts for which I pick the generic average calorie intake. But of course it could be majorly out.
    So this week and hereafter the take-outs will become treats rather than meal options. And I've stopped Garmin adding my steps to MFP to give myself about 100 calories buffer. Add to that a deliberate attempt to eat 1-200 less calories than Garmin gives me (so 14-1500 rather than 1600 ave) and we'll see how that goes.
  • dlrux1031
    dlrux1031 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Can you add in more vegetables and/or Berries? The added fiber may help you.
  • Itsonlymeagain
    Itsonlymeagain Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Same. My weight gain has come on quickly, 20+ lbs in 6months. I didn't even weigh this much when I was pregnant and that bothers me a lot. I have to be very strict about eating 1300-1400 calories or I gain with no effort. It's almost borderline eating disorder because it truly is difficult to stay at this intake, as you know. And if I have a meal out with my husband I am guaranteed to negate every effort of the week.

I've become depressed and down when I think about seeing family I haven't seen in awhile. I am uncomfortable in my body, I don't like my clothes, and this all just really sucks.
  • MangoPickle1
    MangoPickle1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I am 54 and have experienced menopause and my slow creep weight gain is really affecting me. I exercise every day (30 mins strength and conditioning ) and have only now realised that I must shift my eating habits to that of a doormouse if I want too see the needle move. I weight 71.2kg and am used to being 57kg all my previous adult life. I even lost baby weight with little effort ( must have been the breast feeding ). Life is different for me I wish MFP would cover this topic in greater detail and offer meal plan ideas that may benefit is. Are we meant to go low carb, high protein ... with good fats but ultimately stay in a calorie deficit every day? My BMR is 1350 so to lose weight I would need to really opt for 1200 a day. Anyone out there had any success, wouldn't mind knowing your tricks and tips and meal prep ideas.
  • gininthegym
    gininthegym Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi! just found this group

It's so hard . I am now in my mid fifties and still as active, However I am at my biggest EVER. I have always carried my weight well, flat stomach, perky in general. However now I have an actual belly :( I hate it, hate the way I look and feel.

After quite a bit of reading up on it I believe that we're all doing it wrong. So I've quit running, instead taking just a few steady walks. Incorporated 3 brief SIT each week and really gone for the heavy lifting. oh and also increasing protein and calories.

I'll report back if it works :)

Cortisol is to blame for a lot of this, caused by stress. whether that stress is caused by general life, cardio exercise or whatever.

Ugh