WaistAways Team Chat - JUNE 2023

Options

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,437 Member
    Options
    Hi WA's ...You have a returning member ( not sure what team she was on before) joining your team ... Please welcome @healthygirlintransit :)
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,100 Member
    Options
    @healthygirlintransit welcome back to F2F and first time welcome to team WaistAways! I remember you were quite an active member, so I'm sure we're going to have a great time with you joining us. Come on in and introduce yourself - and ask anything if you have any questions.

Time for the Tuesday line-up - and a few still due for today and yesterday:
    @strong_fit_ells
    @CarolAnnM2
    @MoonlitMuse
    @lauren_989
    @MaddawgMadsen if you want to update your starting weight tomorrow (Tuesday), feel free!
  • CarolAnnM2
    CarolAnnM2 Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Weigh in Day: MONDAY
    PW: 183.6
    CW: 183.8
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    Another new member joining your wonderful team .... Please welcome @jeezlawheeze :)
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all our new members, this is a great group to be part of :smile:

Had a PT/physio session this morning; my QL isn't as rehabilitated as we thought, so we're doing an 8-week programme this time instead of 4. We did 1/3 mobility work, 1/3 hands on physio (much more comfortable than when I saw him on Saturday!) and 1/3 strength where we were doing single leg body weight squats. Interestingly, my left side is generally weaker than my right (I'm right handed, and it's the right QL that is unhappy) but the left leg was fatiguing gradually and evenly, whereas the right leg fatigued very suddenly and it was noticeably only certain muscles, plus my nervous system on that side which went rather numb. I find this stuff fascinating! If I were better at biology, I could totally retrain as a physiotherapist. :D
  • jugar
    Options
    @healthygirlintransit It just finally dawned on me that you WERE with this team before! I do the tallies for all the teams, so sometimes the usernames just jumble up in my brain... In any case, it's great that you are back for more :smiley:

A big welcome to @jeezlawheeze - your user name cracks me up! My family is full of Luise/Louise people. My grandmother, mother, sister, and daughter all carry that name either as first or middle. They're everywhere!! :sunglasses:

We're looking forward to your intros, news, updates, and all the things.
  • jugar
    Options
    @DD265 you just sent me to the interwebs to look up QL - quadratus lumborum - the deepest of our back core muscles. Fascinating! I love learning about all the connections and implications of our muscles, but can't do it in large doses or I forget too much. One muscle at a time works for me! Thanks for mentioning it.

I'm just reading Katy Bowman's most recent book Rethink Your Position. I love her stuff - it makes thinking about our position and movement during every day life so interesting, and helps address ongoing unhelpful habits before they cause big problems. Her website nutritiousmovement.com has all her books and lots of resources.

On that note - time to get moving!
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    @jugar my physio (who is actually a sports injury therapist) says that it's the most commonly injured back muscle in his experience. I don't recommend it; when said muscle cramps, it pulls all the way across the lower back, up to the shoulder, and down the leg! I've got an old book called The New Rules of Posture by Mary Bond which is very good - bought that one when I was still riding horses. ;)
  • MaddawgMadsen
    MaddawgMadsen Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    @cleaneater80

Thank you for the welcome. My birthday is this weekend, it is a holiday, and we have family in town - all of whom drink. It is definitely going to be tough this week, but I'm confident I can stay the course.

Two drinks/week is hard, summer or not. Great work though! Keep it up!
  • MaddawgMadsen
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Weigh in Day: Tuesday
    PW: 186.6
    CW: 184.4
  • lauren_989
    lauren_989 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new members!

@jugar I am away from my scale until Thursday. I developed a UTI, am stressed at work, and while I love my parents visiting, 1 week of house guests and hosting is draining. Plus I definitely didn't eat according to plan.

I am getting back on plan tonight. I need to drink a bunch of water for more than 1 reason.
  • jugar
    Options
    lauren_989 wrote: »
    @jugar I am away from my scale until Thursday. I developed a UTI, am stressed at work, and while I love my parents visiting, 1 week of house guests and hosting is draining. Plus I definitely didn't eat according to plan.

I am getting back on plan tonight. I need to drink a bunch of water for more than 1 reason.
    House guests, no matter how wonderful, are always a huge stress. Combined with work and a UTI, you have all my sympathies :heart: Skip this week, and keep drinking plenty of water. Hoping you feel better soon!

I had a fun workout with Jasper today - we worked on transitions, balance, and the body diagonals - it is amazing to me how my connecting the movements of one of my legs with the opposite hand, moving through the seat and shoulders, can help that large beast move his hind leg on the same side as my leg in a better connection to his opposite side foreleg, shoulder and neck. All while he was somewhat distracted by a horse just outside the gate with two gabbing people! He was hilarious in his efforts to go eavesdrop on them. In any case, we worked up a good sweat, and then cooled off in the pre-thunderstorm breezes down the road and back. He is getting more and more at ease in his new environment. For those of you who are new here, Jasper is my lovely young horse who just arrived here about a month ago from Alberta (I'm in Québec) and we're having a blast. Here he is just before we started today -
    zbfyu5vs8po7.png

• jugar
    Options
    Weigh-in update - everyone due through Wednesday:

@strong_fit_ells
    @MoonlitMuse
    @DianaGetsFit512
    @jeezlawheeze - since your weigh-in day is Wednesdays, you can update your starting weight if you would like to.

Thanks!
  • jugar
    Options
    @ashleycarole86 I'm late with my steps and exercise! Here goes for last week:

Sunday - 9348 + 45 strength
    Monday - 10257 + 30 Pilates
    Tuesday - 10230
    Wednesday - 9109 + 30 bike
    Thursday - 17934 + 45 bike
    Friday - 8871 + 15 Pilates + 45 bike
    Saturday - 9872 + 45 bike
  • MaddawgMadsen
    edited June 2023
    Options
    I am still kind of new to this. My step goal is an average of 6,000 steps/day, and exercise goal is at least four days/week. So, here is my step count and exercise history for last week:
    Sunday - 3,407 (rest day)
    Monday - 11,535 + 40 spin + 15 walk
    Tuesday - 6,800 + 2x 15 walk
    Wednesday - 9,390 + 40 spin + 3x 15 walk
    Thursday - 7,832 + 15 walk
    Friday - 8,224 + 60 spin + 30 CrossFit
    Saturday - 7,474 + 60 spin + 15 walk
  • wishfuljune
    wishfuljune Posts: 2,574 Member
    Options
    @jugar - I just wanted to make sure you saw my weigh-in on 6/23! I posted it but saw the note asking me for my weigh-in.

I just thought I would share something funny! I did a workout this morning that included sumo squats. Well, my shorts did not like that at all, and they ripped! I was thankful I was doing my workout at home so that no one else saw. I ended up just working through the ripped shorts instead of changing them because I didn’t want to get another pair sweaty 😂
  • jugar
    Options
    @jugar - I just wanted to make sure you saw my weigh-in on 6/23! I posted it but saw the note asking me for my weigh-in.

I just thought I would share something funny! I did a workout this morning that included sumo squats. Well, my shorts did not like that at all, and they ripped! I was thankful I was doing my workout at home so that no one else saw. I ended up just working through the ripped shorts instead of changing them because I didn’t want to get another pair sweaty 😂
    Got it! I must have gotten confused because you had asked for the week off on the 17th, but either way it should have been filled in right. Sometimes my brain gets frazzled...

I love the shorts story. Sumo squats definitely need baggy shorts!
  • cleaneater80
    cleaneater80 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    @jugar love the updates on Jasper - He's so handsome

I can't quite kick this snacking after dinner habit I've gained. Working on lots of water and distractions but I'll get there.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    Hi WA's ...Another new member joining your team .. Please welcome @trisha33r :)
  • jugar
    Options
    Welcome @trisha33r ! We're always glad to see some new people join the team. Go ahead and introduce yourself - and ask any questions you might have. By Sunday you'll be all ready to hit our new month's challenge at full speed!

Thursday weigh-ins are coming up - here we go!
    @ashleycarole86
    @DD265
    @eggfreak
    @conleywoods

A few due and overdues - don't forget!
    @strong_fit_ells
    @MoonlitMuse
    @DianaGetsFit512

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.