Favorite book turned into movie/TV?

Options

Replies

• WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    @theowlbox I love it. Unlike Jack Black's career, Swift's writing still feels relevant.

8:30 am? You ARE hardcore.

I love Terry Pratchett, but I haven't read anything from the Discworld universe. It's daunting to me for some reason, and I don't know where to start. Are either of the titles you mentioned a good place to dive in?

I was obsessed wth Discworld when I was a teen, I think I read every one of them my library had, and I say "think" because like someone else said once you've read the beginning book (or books) the rest you can basically read anytime. I tried to read them in order but there were always titles missing so I skipped around (because I couldn't wait for them to be checked back in...I was such a dork) and also because there were just so many to choose from (I can see why it would be daunting).
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,464 Member
    Options
    jesspen91 wrote: »
    The Princess Bride! I saw the film before I read the book and I adore both.

I LOVE the movie but can't STAND the book.
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the book not so much.
  • theowlbox
    Options
    Also wondering how the Dark tower movie will shake out. I'm 4 books in and wonderung what will be cut and if it'll be good. Fingers crossed!!
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    theowlbox wrote: »
    Also wondering how the Dark tower movie will shake out. I'm 4 books in and wonderung what will be cut and if it'll be good. Fingers crossed!!

I think it will be awesome. I've finished the series and I think I get where they're coming from with a lot of the "changes" from the books. It's going to make it that much more interesting. No spoilers but you'll understand when you're done.
  • theowlbox
    edited September 2017
    Options

I think it will be awesome. I've finished the series and I think I get where they're coming from with a lot of the "changes" from the books. It's going to make it that much more interesting. No spoilers but you'll understand when you're done.

I saw it and it was a solid c for me. Loved so much about it but they pared so much away that it was tough to give a crap about the characters (even Idris Elba!) and what they were doing. But I'm glad I watched it and I liked it!
    I just saw a picture of the new Hellboy played by the cop from Stranger Things, David Harbour. I just don't know how to feel about it.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    @theowlbox we were so excited for this movie, as my husband is a huge DT fan, and I have enjoyed the the few I've heard (long story short I jumped in mid series so need to start at the beginning-hubs listened to them on book on tape on our cross country trip). But we chose not to see it because of the terrible reviews, we would rather never see it than be disappointed. It's such a bummer, since I feel like it could have been amazing if done right!
  • ulala424
    ulala424 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've always liked Sofia Coppola's adaptation of The Virgin Suicides. I think I might like it even more than the book.
  • theowlbox
    Options
    So sad that American Gods is having problems: lost their show runner, lost Gillian Anderson and Kristin Chenoweth. Both caused a huge delay and season 2 may not be here until 2019. Boo hiss.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    So sad that American Gods is having problems: lost their show runner, lost Gillian Anderson and Kristin Chenoweth. Both caused a huge delay and season 2 may not be here until 2019. Boo hiss.

I love the Amercian Gods book and I watched the 1st season of the show. I understand the changes they made and I have no issues with them adding new characters/story because it still retains the same feel. However, I didn't really like some of the artistic choices made in the show. A lot of the scenes felt like they were from some Indie underground movie, like watching the slow burn of a cigarette and such. Just not my thing. I'm still looking forward to season 2 though.
  • theowlbox
    Options
    @rhaiin I'm sad they are switching the actors in the middle like: due to illness, the part of Laura will today be played by...
    But i am ok with changes. Some of it was a little too artsy. But a lot of his stuff is super visually avant garde or non standard. I remember he really liked a certain artist for his comic book covers and they were super weird. Parts of the show reminded me of those covers. ( http://www.davemckean.com )
    I just hope they start up again. It sucks to wait a long time to finish a story. You have to go nack and rewatch, etc. I am hoping they can finish and it doesn't derail.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Catfish_Fan Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I may be necroing an older thread, I do that from time to time :smile:

I rarely watch the movie or television show based off a book that was good. I would rather enjoy the author's art for itself. Under the Dome by Stephen King is a good example, the show was terrible! I never watch a movie or show and then read the book anymore. I did that with The Stand and all throughout the reading I kept picturing Molly Ringwald, the mis-cast character who did not fit the one in the book. Or Nicole Kidman in Cold Mountain, she did not even have the correct hair color, and the movie was a travesty of an incredible book.

As for the ones I have watched, and recommend, Outlander is pretty good. I have read all the books and watched through season 4; there are some plot changes to adapt those very long books to the shortened time frame, but overall it is decent. Currently I am watching 11.22.63 on Hulu and it is so very different from the book I just read. I have yet to form an opinion on it, I am not deep into it yet.

What are some favorite adaptations that are more current (I realize this thread is 4 years old, so things have changed. It seems that every good book or book series is being turned into a show or movie, Hollywood has forgotten how to write their own stuff in a lot of cases and look to authors for stories to butcher).
  • Btrflydog
    Btrflydog Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I agree - I won't watch a show before reading the book anymore. Usually, I find the show disappointing because it is hard to cram all the details of a book into a series or movie.

I did just read Dune for the 1st time. Then I watched the movie (the new one, not the one with Kyle MacLachlan). I thought it did keep to the story line pretty well. But it was only half the book. Then I heard that they held off on making the second movie until they got the reviews back.

One of the miniseries I did watch before I knew there was a book was Stephen King's Salem's Lot. It was how I discovered Stephen King, and I have been hooked ever since. It was 1979 and I was a teenager so I enjoyed the miniseries at the time. The book was better though.

• FitMary202
    FitMary202 Posts: 1,474 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Thought and thought and I finally remembered that I'd read Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel and was not a fan. Okay, I was deeply disappointed that such a talented writer would "give up" and produce such an "empty" work. But now I'm watching the series on HBO and really enjoying it! Huh? Did I miss all of this complexity in the novel or...? I don't see myself rereading the novel to find out, but I do stand corrected!
  • Btrflydog
    edited May 2023
    Options
    I'll have to get back to on Station Eleven - it's in my TBR pile - so I am waiting to watch the series. I heard it was a really good show.

I just read Daisy Jones and The Six - want to watch the series on Prime as soon as I finish the series I'm watching now.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    Just started reading DeLillo's White Noise and learned that there is a netflix movie or series so I'll have to check that out after I finish.
    Also in the "college professor" vein, I did NOT like Straight Man when I tried to reread it recently and definitely don't care for the series so I guess I'm done with that.
  • Btrflydog
    Options
    Watched Where the Crawdad Sings -not nearly as good as the book - but didn't expect it to be. Was just too much detail that you would only get from the book.
  • LadyCalico2
    LadyCalico2 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to the 2004 French TV-movie of the Vercors (Henri Bruller) novel Le Silence de la Mer (The Silence of the Sea). I read the book then immediately watched the movie on YouTube a few years ago and have watched it several times since, and again yesterday. The subtitling tends to be faulty, but understandable and tolerable, but who cares. I fell in love with the beautiful soulful eyes of French actor Thomas Jouannet. I'm not the only one; it appears to have a huge worldwide cult following of obsessed women.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    Oooo, gonna have to investigate that book and movie combo, @LadyCalico2. I've never heard of either, but it looks like something I'll enjoy. Thanks!
  • LadyCalico2
    LadyCalico2 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The book (longish short story actually) is great as is the 1947 movie version, but both are more philosophical and cerebral. The screenplay of the 2004 TV movie was written by a woman and goes straight to the heart. If you only have time for one, head to YouTube. You can get the book for free at Internetarchive.com, but there are several other books with the same title, so be sure you get the one by Vercors.