Downsizers Team Chat - OCTOBER 2023

Options

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,404 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    5sq6qe15usqd.png

Here is my friendly Sunday reminder of the people's steps I need for October Week 2 ... Please have them in no later than Tuesday 10/17...If I don't have them in by then I will have no choice but to zero them out ...Thank you for your cooperation :)

@Stacimfit 10/13 & 10/14
    @laquita606 10/8 - 10/14

• iLive2Walk
    iLive2Walk Posts: 3,175 Member
    Options
    Question:
    We have the holiday season fast approaching. Halloween is in a little over two weeks. That means candy and mini chocolate bars everywhere including being a food cue every time we go to the supermarket. What are your strategies for dealing with Halloween treats?

I have a bag of candy ready for Halloween. Will not open it until the day. We get a lot of trick or treaters in our neighborhood, so will be generous especially towards the end of the night - then just before I feel like turning the lights off - the last visitors will be the lucky winners and get the rest. At least that is the plan.
  • Slimmersixties
    Slimmersixties Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    @Megan_smartiepants1970

Rest of this week's steps

Fri 13th 8,908
    Sat 14th 10,003

Thanks
  • Slimmersixties
    Slimmersixties Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    [

Never apologize. What kind of program are you doing? I know you said it was through work.

It's not through work, that must be something else I talked about and I forget, heehee.

I'm doing a medical bariatric program with my local hospital. It's meant to be 12 weeks of just shakes then transitioning to normal food, total time is 21 weeks. I also am in a group that meets every week and we learn about a bunch of things...there's some CBT and DBT in there. Next week is about exercise.

I am not doing the full 4-5 shakes a day. I'm doing like 2 shakes with food added, because I don't think I could do just the sweet shakes every day, and I feel it's a bit counterintuitive to completely take food out. But my dietician is on board and it's going well so far.

I have a shake for breakfast, eat lunch, have a shake for a snack and eat supper. I sometimes have a snack in the evening, it depends how hungry I am and how late I eat my other meals.

Yesterday I only had 1 shake because I had a satisfying lunch and ate a snack at work, and a nice supper when I got back home.

So I am expecting a big loss this week because of this and for a few weeks (I hope so.) I really hope to get under 350lb by the end of the year. I don't know if that's possible but that would be lovely. Maybe to 325lb by the time I go to Utah in February but I'll worry about that closer to the time lol.

I saw someone was doing a challenge to aim to be a certain weight by Christmas, is that still going on?

Anyhoo, I'm glad I could finally post a long message. It's hard to do it on my phone and I finally logged in on my computer haha.

Hi, i'm running the Xmas challenge. Just let me know the weight your aiming to be by Christmas and I'll add you to the challenge
    Lis
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,241 Member
    Options
    n1bx52w74edw.png

4asf45x8xr8l.png
    q1dq56augczd.png

Team Results
    By Percentage
    maqy1evw22gl.png

By Pounds
    caldjtie3p2k.png

Individual Results
    By Percentage
    i35i33p5whdb.png
    xwt43l6xnsek.png

By Pounds
    y0v28gthpt5u.png

Team Winners
    xe994v5z167z.png
  • RoblinB
    RoblinB Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    rwillems wrote: »
    Yikes! That is all I can say. Backsliding terribly and have no excuse other than just being lazy.

Name: rwillems
    Weigh-in Day: Sunday
    PW: 283.8 lbs
    CW: 284.4 lbs

Very disappointed in myself.
    @rwillems We all know that sinking feeling of not being able to stay on our plan, and the disappointment of seeing the scale moving the wrong way. Please don't beat yourself up too much!

What can we can do to help?
  • RoblinB
    Options
    I see my surgeon in 2 weeks and home gym is boring but I have been doing it 5 days a week for 30 minutes

@Megan_smartiepants1970 Well, way to do it anyway!! Looking forward to hearing what your surgeon has to say.

• RoblinB
    Options
    Question:
    We have the holiday season fast approaching. Halloween is in a little over two weeks. That means candy and mini chocolate bars everywhere including being a food cue every time we go to the supermarket. What are your strategies for dealing with Halloween treats?

Yikes! Halloween treats have been a repeat downfall for me over the years! So little, so innocent, leading to so many! So, group, I will be accountable to you - my goal is to eat NONE. I will report in about this November 1. If I can manage to do so, it will be a considerable NSV for me!
  • cormierannie
    cormierannie Posts: 4,446 Member
    Options
    cormierannie
    Weigh in day Sunday
    PW: 131 pounds
    CW: 131 pounds
  • Stacimfit
    Stacimfit Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    RoblinB wrote: »
    Stacimfit wrote: »
    Soo, I did a thing.. I went out of my comfort zone...
    @Stacimfit All I had to do was read this far into your post and I was already cheering for you!! I know it can be SO hard to reach beyond our usual limits. Even if no one you invited joins, I hope you will go to the event anyway and talk to lots and lots of people there! Because they ARE there, I expect they will be type of people that you are looking for who are interested in wellness. Perhaps they will have additional local resources, groups, etc to share with you as well. When is this event?

I also heard about another free weekly 5k event called ParkRun from others on this site. I have not yet attended one, so I can't really say much about it, but this might be another way to regularly connect with local people who care about wellness and helping others if you have one near you. It also looks pretty easy to become a volunteer. https://www.parkrun.com/ Just something you might check out.

Thank you so much for the motivation! I didn't even think about going and meeting new people. I think I will do that!!! I am in need of a support group and I think it would be better than going with people who aren't even interested.
  • Learningmoments
    Learningmoments Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    So sorry, I thought I submitted this already.

MFP User Name -Learning Moments
    Commitment for Week -60,000
    Tracking Type - Miles or Steps: Steps

Sunday -2584
    Monday -10228
    Tuesday -3290
    Wednesday -3104
    Thursday -7832
    Friday -6394
    Saturday -5602
    Total: 39034

Floors Commitment: 100
    Sunday-3
    Monday-17
    Tuesday-8
    Wednesday-16
    Thursday-2
    Friday-6
    Saturday-7
    Total: 59
  • Heretochange88
    Heretochange88 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    [

Never apologize. What kind of program are you doing? I know you said it was through work.

It's not through work, that must be something else I talked about and I forget, heehee.

I'm doing a medical bariatric program with my local hospital. It's meant to be 12 weeks of just shakes then transitioning to normal food, total time is 21 weeks. I also am in a group that meets every week and we learn about a bunch of things...there's some CBT and DBT in there. Next week is about exercise.

I am not doing the full 4-5 shakes a day. I'm doing like 2 shakes with food added, because I don't think I could do just the sweet shakes every day, and I feel it's a bit counterintuitive to completely take food out. But my dietician is on board and it's going well so far.

I have a shake for breakfast, eat lunch, have a shake for a snack and eat supper. I sometimes have a snack in the evening, it depends how hungry I am and how late I eat my other meals.

Yesterday I only had 1 shake because I had a satisfying lunch and ate a snack at work, and a nice supper when I got back home.

So I am expecting a big loss this week because of this and for a few weeks (I hope so.) I really hope to get under 350lb by the end of the year. I don't know if that's possible but that would be lovely. Maybe to 325lb by the time I go to Utah in February but I'll worry about that closer to the time lol.

I saw someone was doing a challenge to aim to be a certain weight by Christmas, is that still going on?

Anyhoo, I'm glad I could finally post a long message. It's hard to do it on my phone and I finally logged in on my computer haha.

Hi, i'm running the Xmas challenge. Just let me know the weight your aiming to be by Christmas and I'll add you to the challenge
    Lis

Oh thankyou! Let's say 355lb by Christmas. That's 30-ish lb in the next 10 weeks. A big job but it'll keep me going!!
  • Stacimfit
    Stacimfit Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    @Stacimfit Great job of going out of your comfort zone. It is extremely hard to find local friends who are into fitness. I have not had good luck, but I depend upon this group and other groups on MFP for inspiration and community. I, however, challenged myself last year to go outside my comfort zone. Things that just depended on me to show up. I signed up for an aqua fitness class. It was wonderful. I still belong to it. I also signed up for a Master's swimming class. They talked me into competing in a Southeast swim meet 3 hours away. It was fun and I actually won awards for my age group. It helped that not many signed up in the 60-65 age group. lol. I also signed up for an aerial yoga 4-week class. I loved it. I also bought myself a bike and started riding a local bike trail. I still love that. My point is, to make it a year of challenges to get out of your comfort zone. Sign up for different 5k events and anything else that looks interesting. Then just show up. You might find people to enjoy in the moment or find just the right friend as you start getting involved in activities, but either way, you will have fun, try something new, and push yourself to new limits. You can even try new things on YouTube to build courage. Have fun, but don't let the lack of other people responding be your failure. I have tried roping all my friends into challenges and it just isn't their thing. That is okay. Find your nitch. My real life is doing things I enjoy by myself and sometimes with a few friends, I have found along the way. My life is rich and full and not depending on others showing up. So don't give up. Find what brings you joy and dive deep into it. We are here for you. We are proud of you!

@jimboden3 Hang in there and do what you can to minimize the damage of stress. Stay hydrated, eat freggies, breathe deeply, etc. You are doing fabulous!

@Heretochange88 No apology necessary. Special occasions are the zest of life. I am glad you are excited about the program. Keep us posted.
    Thank you for sharing about your experience. Congrats on the swim meet award! & I am so proud of you for getting out there and trying new things. I really want to do that, and How amazing it would be to find the right friend :) I will keep this in mind. Even with the cold weather coming up. Thank you so much.
  • adianeschu
    adianeschu Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    PW-220.4
    CW-219.8
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,508 Member
    Options
    rwillems wrote: »
    Yikes! That is all I can say. Backsliding terribly and have no excuse other than just being lazy.

Name: rwillems
    Weigh-in Day: Sunday
    PW: 283.8 lbs
    CW: 284.4 lbs

Very disappointed in myself.

It’s a new week so all we can do is start fresh.
    [

My therapy for my binge eating disorder used CBT. @Slimmersixties is running that challenge. Let her know what weight you would like to be by then and she will add you. I don’t have much luck with mfp on my phone.
    Question:

Having a list helps me. I write my shopping list in the order that I'll reach them. Like in my supermarket it would be fresh produce, deli, bakery, fresh meat, etcetc. I find that helps keep me on track and I don't go down the candy/chip aisle.

I also tell myself repeatedly that "it's not mine." Easier said than done for sure.

I don't buy candy for anyone else. I am grateful to not have kids for this reason so I don't feel obliged to. My partner gets their own junk food and eats it away from me. I am so grateful for that!

I wish I could avoid the chip aisle. They are smart putting in such a way that you see it every aisle you go down. I like the statement it’s not mine.
    Question:

for me I buy the mini candy bars for my daughter and I buy sugar free ones for me ..easy portion control

I would probably still binge on the sugar free. Great strategy though.

• adianeschu
    adianeschu Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    10/8-7248
    10/9-4329
    10/10-8497
    10/11-7385
    10/12-8213
    10/13-7124
    10/14-2974
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    ddainiak wrote: »
    Question:

I have a bag of candy ready for Halloween. Will not open it until the day. We get a lot of trick or treaters in our neighborhood, so will be generous especially towards the end of the night - then just before I feel like turning the lights off - the last visitors will be the lucky winners and get the rest. At least that is the plan.

Great plan. Those last trick or treaters will be so happy.
    RoblinB wrote: »
    Question:

Yikes! Halloween treats have been a repeat downfall for me over the years! So little, so innocent, leading to so many! So, group, I will be accountable to you - my goal is to eat NONE. I will report in about this November 1. If I can manage to do so, it will be a considerable NSV for me!

You are right, it will be an amazing NSV.
    adianeschu wrote: »
    PW-220.4
    CW-219.8

Congrats on the loss!
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    Steps: 4,195
    Exercise: 0/4
    Close rings: 15/28

Good morning! Hope you guys are having a great Monday.
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
  • RoblinB
    edited October 2023
    Options
    adianeschu wrote: »
    PW-220.4
    CW-219.8

@adianeschu Way to go! Leaving those 220's behind!
This discussion has been closed.