Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #3: 🍽️Meal Plan🍽️

Options
hicim705
hicim705 Posts: 5,213 Member
edited December 2023 in Social Groups
8hbioqlz78nz.png

❔What is the first thing you think of when you decide that you need to 'get healthy' and 'lose weight'?
❔What is at the top of the list when your doctor tells you that your blood pressure needs to be managed or that your cholesterol numbers are too high?

More often than not, they will suggest that you follow a low carb, low sugar, low salt, low fat, etc., etc., etc. diet. They may even give you a '2-pager' on what they might suggest for you to follow and then they tell you to make an appointment for a 6-month appointment to see how you are doing and out the door they go to their next appointment. This scenario is if you are one of the lucky ones. You could be one of those who have been brought to an Emergency Department of a hospital with chest pains, tingling in your limbs, shortness of breath, etc. After running a battery of tests your diagnosis is revealed and ultimately, as part of your discharge plan, your eating habits are once again attacked.

Most of the time, after such an appointment, you feel like a failure; you feel hopeless. Let me tell you, it is NOT you. Our food supply is tainted and clever advertising can entice us with delicious looking overly processed food that, if you think about it logically, CAN'T possibly be all that good for you!! Whatever you think about nutritional information that is shared within the media, the more ingredients in a food that you can't pronounce and the less work you have to put in to get something on the table - the more unhealthy the meal becomes.

Searching on the internet for ideas becomes even more confusing ... many sites tell you to eat this and not that or to eat that and not this, but if you look closely you will see that many of these sites are also sponsored by those that have a monetary interest in the 'healthy food' industry. Although I don't believe everything that I read, even from those sites that are 'experts', I think that a lot of what is written here is true. Please join me in reading the following article published by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/healthy_eating/index.html

Of course, there are plans out there like Weight Watchers, Nutrisystem, Noom, Atkins, Paleo, Keto - the list goes on and on. Unfortunately, there is no 'one size fits all' and various plans work better for some than for others. You have to decide what interests you and then give it a try. Knowing that weight-loss and healthy lifestyle is not the same for everyone lends itself to the fact that you can/will try many things before you find something that resonates with you and fits into your lifestyle and helps to get the results you need. Do some research; pick a plan to follow what piques your interest and follow that plan for a period of time.

In business, they talk about adopting processes in a 'plan-do-check-act' format. It means that there is a task that needs to be completed. You PLAN how to get that task done by doing research and developing steps that are needed to execute that task. You DO follow that plan and CHECK your progress. If you find a flaw in the plan, you ACT to correct your steps to eventually have a satisfactory outcome. You really can use this 'plan-do-check-act' approach in many aspects of your own life. Why not try this approach to find the nutritional plan that resonates with you? What meal plan are YOU following for YOUR healthy lifestyle journey?

> > > > Of course, any and all of these recommendations NEVER, EVER supersede recommendations from your healthcare provider. We are all individuals and are all at different stages of life (and health) which sometimes dictate what we can and can't eat. If you are under a physician's care and a meal plan has been recommended for your specific needs, please continue following your doctor's orders! < < < <

📓Your assignment: Your assignment: Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #3: Meal Plan

It doesn’t matter if you have been searching for ‘the plan’ that resonates with you or you are doing something that is working for you, write it down!! If you blog
Feel free to add your comments to this thread outlining your meal plan for a successful 2024 Winter 5% Challenge (if you blog, you may add the link to your blog here or you may simply wish to copy/paste your writing here - or do both!), but please consider sharing!!

Remember to feel proud of each and every day that you 'work your plan', however, if you have a day where you find you stumble, don't dwell on it; pick yourself up; dust yourself off and keep walking toward your goal(s).

We invite you to add your comments to this thread outlining your goal setting plans for a successful 2024 Winter 5% Challenge (if you blog, you may add the link to your blog here or you may simply wish to copy/paste your writing here - or do both!), but please consider sharing!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PLEASE NOTE: The Seasonal 5% Challenge Teams are very active. You will be expected to participate to the best of your ability.

ALL challenge weeks run from Saturday through Friday - you will be expected to record your exercise and Living the Good Life points based on weekly Challenge Themes. You are expected to record these points daily or at least as often as you can during the week but no later than 11:59 pm each Friday (your local time). In addition, you are expected to weigh in one time per week by 11:59 pm every Saturday (your local time). Your individual team leaders and/or team mates will help to answer any and all questions about where to record your points.

🔮Our individual Winter 5% Challenge Teams are currently being set up.

✉️You will be invited to your individual team soon, in enough time to get to know your team leaders and team mates. Until then, get to know some of the Challengers that will be participating right along with you.

📢Announcements will be made when invitations to your individual teams are sent. Please visit this team, the 2024 WINTER 5% COMMUNITY TEAM often as this will be the best source for up-to-date information.

Previous Pre-Challenge Activites (consider reading/participating in one or all of them):
** Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #1: INFORMATION and YOUR INPUT! ℹ️🔠
Here is the link: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10887289/countdown-pre-challenge-activity-1-information-and-your-input-ℹ️#latest

Previous Pre-Challenge Activites (consider reading/participating in one or all of them):

Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #1: INFORMATION and YOUR INPUT! ℹ️🔠
https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/47836858#Comment_47836858

Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #2: SET SOME GOALS!
https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10905532/countdown-pre-challenge-activity-2-set-some-goals/p1?new=1

Heidi (hicim705)
Overall Co-Leader, Seasonal 5% Challenges (hosted on MFP)

Replies

• sgod50
    sgod50 Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    My meal plan will be to follow macros I've set on MFP based on advice from my nutritionist.
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,966 Member
    Options
    My meal plan will be to follow macros I've set on MFP plus only yogurt for a LNS.
  • lavalily
    lavalily Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    My meal plan is a combination of Keto and Mediterranean. There is a book about this combination if you're interested in finding out more.
  • cmoak54
    cmoak54 Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    My meal plan is to stick with the macros/calories I have set up in MFP. <100 carbs/day. But work on more consistency of >5 freggies and weekly average calories closer to target.
  • sgod50
    sgod50 Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    lavalily wrote: »
    My meal plan is a combination of Keto and Mediterranean. There is a book about this combination if you're interested in finding out more.

Could you share the title of the book?
  • gouldsgranite
    gouldsgranite Posts: 3,500 Member
    Options
    My meal plan follows the nutritional program outlined in "The Dieter's Dictionary and Problem Solver: An A to Z Guide to Nutrition, Health, and Fitness", Victoria Zak & Peter Vash.
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,966 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    My meal plan will be to follow macros I've set on MFP plus only yogurt for a LNS.

One of the best tactics for curbing emotional eating is to use the HALT technique. This is a series of questions to ask yourself when you are tempted to eat:

H – Am I Hungry?

A – Am I Angry?

L – Am I Lonely?

T – Am I Tired?
  • macrat12
    macrat12 Posts: 5,225 Member
    Options
    Macro tracking inside the 1st Phorm app
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    In my meal plan I aim for the most protein I can get for each day...(I do eat the other macros too) sometimes what I make has a lot of protein, when not I add protein by having plain yogurt &/or cottage cheese for snack. As far as planning what to cook/eat ahead, I've always done this because I don't like to figure it out the same day so I know what I'll be cooking for several days ahead including an alternative in case we don't feel like eating "that" or I get too busy to make the planned meal. I always have a quicker alternative.
  • JanetMH1
    JanetMH1 Posts: 2,221 Member
    Options
    Continue lessening carbs and sugars. Cleaner eating is the goal.
  • itladyee
    itladyee Posts: 3,967 Member
    Options
    lavalily wrote: »

I would be interested in learning more about this book.
  • itladyee
    itladyee Posts: 3,967 Member
    Options
    What to eat, when to eat, how much to eat....this is where I struggle. I keep trying new things but nothing seems to sustainable for long periods of time. I've tried most.
    2023 I...
    • Counted Calories - with calorie cycling
    • Focused on the Mayo Clinic Diet with nutrition and food groups
    • Landed on Intermittent fasting

I had the most success with IF but I didn't quite perfect it.
    I mainly did a 16:8, and it varied a bit adjusting my next day eating start time with my actual last eating time the day before. One day day... Friday into Saturday I would do a 20 hour fast.

In my eating window, however, I pretty much ate and drank whatever I wanted. Which they say you can do...but I don't think I can if I really want to drop the pounds. I was still in my calorie range but I think my food choices could have been better.

So my plan for 2024 - 1st quarter.
    Resume IF same method as before.
    Continue to count calories but focus on nutrition and better food choices.
    I play around with macros and I think that needs to be part of the equation. Carbs are not my friend.
    I don't know what this means just yet but it's a start.
  • Sparkuvu
    Sparkuvu Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should concentrate on HALT.
    NOT consistent with planning. Really don't want to plan....that commitment thing.
    Planning would def improve eating well.
    So figure out a way to want to plan.
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 12,124 Member
    Options
    I'm going to continue to eat as I do now, with a change. I'll hit what MFP calls "Macros" Mine are: Staying in the following ranges: Calories, Carbs, Fats (THIS One I NEED to work on!) Protein (I am always VERY LOW, but need to bring it up) Sodium (1500 mgs by Cardiologist) NEED to work on and Calcium (I Have otheoporosis which is bad). When I lost the most weight I was doing this, at times it'll mean switching foods I enjoy a lot to smaller or weird amounts, but I never felt deprieved or hungry.

I've been watching cooking shows of natural ingredients, I am NOT A VEGGIE Person, but will tolerate a tiny bit if it's stuff. I honor this.
  • EclipsedAgain
    EclipsedAgain Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    My meal plan is pretty simple. I watch my carbs since I'm diabetic, but I do not make any food "bad". I believe in moderation and pay attention to my macros. I rarely hit my protein since I'm not a big meat eater, but I do well with my carbs which is what I have to do.
  • paceka2
    paceka2 Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I don't follow any specific type of diet, I need to eat what my body wants. I plan to sit down once a week to plan our dinner's using healthy recipes that include a balanced diet. I want to add more fruits and vegetables to my diet, include yogurt daily (per my doctor) and add more protein with a protein shake. This one is hardest for me because I can't find a time of day that works for me. I will also spent a few weeks logging in my foods to see where I'm falling short.
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Meal Plan
    My meal plan will consist of foods that keep my blood sugar stable and blood pressure normal. The weight loss will be an added bonus. I follow an Intermittent Fasting/Keto lifestyle. I have an 8 hour eating window which gives me less time to eat and not fall into mindless snacking. This lets me have 3 meals per day and each meal will consist of 30g of protein and plenty of good fats as well as tons of veggies and fiber.
    Role Models
    I follow Autumn Bates on YouTube as well as Huberman Lab (all things health). Andrew Huberman did an amazing interview with Dr. Robert Lustig about How Sugar & Processed Foods Impact Your Health. You can listen to the podcast if you don't want to watch the video. It is pretty long. After listening to the interview, my whole perspective changed about food and gave me the kick in the pants to get my life back on track.
  • lindapost1
    lindapost1 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    My meal plan:
    I have been on the Kito plan since August 2023. It got me beyond a plateau that I was stuck on (forever). It also makes me feel much better. I do not have the craving for all the wrong things like I used to have. The carbs I get are mostly through fruits and veggies. Anyway for now I will stick to the Keto diet. I do used the Macro to track carbs-fat-protein. Going over calorie count is not as bad if it is because of fat and protein. However I do like to stay in my range as much as possible.
  • marg750me
    marg750me Posts: 2,703 Member
    Options
    I will follow my own eating plan. I have a recipe box of favorite recipes and a bunch of things I know how to make healthy. I have most food on hand. I also have 98% of my Mediterranean, diabetic and heart healthy menus from eDiets, plus many healthy cookbooks. So I REALLY, REALLY have no excuse for not eating right. OH I finally got a digital kitchen scale

Cherry
  • christyc1256
    christyc1256 Posts: 5,089 Member
    Options
    My meal planning - try to meet my protein goal at least 5 days a week, every week otherwise to eat what I want but stay under my calorie goal.

I'm going to plan out and stick to at least 5 meals per week every week as that seems to help me stay on track.