Jumpstart January Challenge 2024

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
Here we are. Another year gone. But a new one is starting, and in keeping with the tradition of a New Year Resolution, I have a challenge for you aiming at helping you KEEP those resolutions this year.
It's the perfect time to Jumpstart your health!

I do go on and on about one B-word. The Basics. Why? Because they're important. It may not be sexy, or catchy, but keeping the low-carb Basics locked-in is where it's at if you are wanting to actually succeed long-term. Minding the Basics will continue to serve you all the way to your goal weight and will keep you in maintenance.

So what are these Basics?
  • Planning ahead!!!
  • Staying under carbs
  • Staying under calories
  • Logging and measuring
  • Getting in exercise/movement if that's one of your goals
  • Keeping an eye on electrolyte levels
  • Getting enough water
  • Planning ahead!!! Oh, wait. I said that already? Yes, I frickin' did. Because you must! "Failing to plan is planning to fail."

Last month we focused on the basics in an effort to avoid gaining during a hectic time of year. There were lots of treats around. But many of us managed to hit our goals and not gain. Some of us even lost a few pounds, or gained insight into our own patterns when faced with pressure.

And some of us didn't do so hot. Myself included. Hey, it's stressful during the holidays sometimes. In this case we'll pick ourselves up and dust ourselves off.

Consistency + Persistence + Time = Success

I really can't parrot that cliché formula enough. Because it's true.

Let us know your resolutions, or even just a way you'd like to challenge yourself this month if you aren't much into resolutions. Any low-carb plan is welcome. Just post your monthly goals and/or beginning weight, or if you are just planning to maintain through the month, or have NSVs to achieve, check-in daily or weekly with how well you did.

You can report your progress to your goal, whether it be ultra-obsessive daily hitting your low-carb plan Basics, or working on a fitness goal, or even nailing down other good habits in your life. Anything is fair game as long as it's in pursuit of your health or fitness. And if you have problems or need advice, you'll find that here.

Before you start, think about your goals. For measurable resolutions, we recommend getting a baseline.

Here are some ideas (abridged from FIT_Goat in this post For Those with New Year Resolutions):
  • Get an average of your most recent weigh-ins for a good idea of your starting weight.
  • Record your food, even if you're estimating. Sure, it will be a little higher in calories/junk due to the holiday season but it will still be better than having nothing.
  • Take body measurements and pictures. To make sure they are accurate, take several sets of measurements and average them. Or watch this video on how to measure yourself so that you are actually measuring the same spots every time. You never need to show/share these with anyone, but you might be surprised how willing you will be to share them when you have success.
  • Make an exercise log and try for your current personal bests (even if they're nothing to be proud of). Again, a starting number is better than nothing. It will show you how much you have achieved.
  • If you're also doing something else (like quitting smoking), the same idea applies. Take a starting measurement, like how many cigs or packs per day. You'll often be shocked at how much growth you make.
Remember changes are often slow and hard to see in the mirror. The scale is lazy and doesn't always readily reflect genuine progress. Measurements and pics will help you really see what's going on behind the scenes. And speaking of invisible progress, how you feel (improved health and/or energy) are great markers that your change is working.

Sooooo...go ahead and introduce yourself and/or post your goals when you are ready. Challenge starts on the 1st.

Here's a sample format for how you can report on various goals if you'd like:
Monday 1/1:

Water: Yep. :flowerforyou:
Electrolytes Good: :flowerforyou:
Logged Food: :flowerforyou:
Exercise as Planned: Strength training :flowerforyou:
At or Under Carb Level: :flowerforyou:
At or Under Calorie Limit: Yes! :flowerforyou:
Planned Day Ahead: Yes! :flowerforyou:
7/7

This is a fresh new year.
Own it.

We'll be here to cheer you on.

Happy New Year and make that resolution stick.

[/quote]

Replies

• baconslave
    Options
    It's time. Past time, for me to take my life back.

I'm getting chunky. I have a problem with alcohol and snacking. Time to stop putting my head in the sand.

My birthday is tomorrow, but I'll be here, logging and nose to the grindstone, Jan 2nd.
  • Elli7767
    Elli7767 Posts: 23 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Happy Birthday! Enjoy!

I have a similar issue with alcohol and then the munchies soon after.
    I didn't really misbehave calorie wise but the extra carbs did me in over the last months and all of my jeans are too tight. Crazy what those carbs do to my middle.

I was a member here awhile back and couldn't remember my log in so I had to start fresh.

I have already given up the adult beverages and bad carbs as of 12/25 and started working on my goals early but I like your format and plan to post something similar.
    Thanks!
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,685 Member
    Options
    yermqcu6v0bm.png
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,382 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself tonight putting the crutches on both sides of the scale ... I am not happy with what it read but I am determined again to get the weight off ...I went from 150 to 257... that is what happens when you break your leg and have 8 surgeries ...and no exercise because you are in so much pain... well I have decided to get off the pity train and get back to where I was ... I will be working out 5 days a week using my home gym for 30 minutes ...I will also be finding a chair exercise on youtube doing that also 5 days a week for 30 minutes ....I will be meal prepping once a week with my daughter's help ...logging and weighing everything I put in my mouth..drink 140 ounces of water daily and get at least 5 hours of sleep each night and going back on Keto
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,382 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    It's time. Past time, for me to take my life back.

I'm getting chunky. I have a problem with alcohol and snacking. Time to stop putting my head in the sand.

My birthday is tomorrow, but I'll be here, logging and nose to the grindstone, Jan 2nd.

Happy Birthday ..I just turned 53 on 12/29 yikes where does time go LOL
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,122 Member
    Options
    I am sitting at 183 pounds. My ultimate goal is 165 and I was as low as 178 in December. I didn't eat Keto today, so I am expecting I will be putting on some water weight until I burn through the glycogen my body will be storing from those carbs. My January goal is to eat keto every day. There is a planned "Christmas" dinner with the extended family on my wife's side on the 13th. I am not sure I will attend, and if I do, I will bring a keto meal. The biggest issue I have had lately is logging things. I eat keto, but since some of the foods I have (home made carnivore crisps for example) I don't have accurate nutritional information for, so I tend to not log them. I want to log everything, and I want to stick to my workout schedule. Those are my goals for the month.
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I’m back and ready to buckle down! I know, I’ve said that before. I’m doing a lot of reading on health topics in an effort to do all I can to stay/improve my health and that of my husband’s. I turn 50 in March and am seeing fluff gathering at the midsection so I need to address my food. Exercise is a daily habit so no planned changes there. My focus will be on protein and healthy fats and limiting the processed carbs. I’ve done well cutting added artificial sugars and sugar in general but the holiday didn’t do favors so I’ve frozen or tossed the sweets. I’ll also be watching my stress and sleep. I may or may not log so we’ll see in that one. Happy New Year everyone!
  • Elli7767
    Options
    Monday 01/01:

Exercise
    Walked 4.27 miles + strength

Calories/carbs under budget
  • taylok23
    Options
    Two good days to start the new year. Close on macro targets both days. I’ve cut my mct oil powder from coffee as it has stevia but I sense I may go back to it at some point. No cravings and have fasted 19 and 20 hours so far this week. I also dropped 1.3 in water weight. I expect that will be the case this week and look forward to moving to fat burning.
  • Elli7767
    Options
    Tuesday 01/02:

Exercise
    Walked 4.68 miles

• baconslave
    edited January 3
    Options

Wednesday 1/03:

I'm late because everything always goes sideways. But though I didn't log, I did okish yesterday.

It was very stressful, since my spouse has decided to become a very stressful person, and I drove by 3 liquor stores yesterday and didn't stop at any.

Didn't get to exercise yesterday. And during my window I have to deal with a kid thing, but I am determined to workout after dinner no matter how tired I am.

Logging everything today.
    The scale showed me an abominible number that is horrifying and discouraging. Definitely disappointed in myself. But it is a data point. I earned what it showed me. Time to make it change.

CW: 208.6 ( :scream::cry: )
    Monthly Goal: 204
    UGW: (Ultimate Goal Weight) 160
  • Elli7767
    Options
    W 01/03:

Exercise
    Walked 4.41 miles + strength

• baconslave
    Options
    1/03 Deets:
    • Hit cal goal
    • Hit carb goal
    • Did planned exercise: 1 hr 20 min of Sansone "walk" videos (it's basically really more like low-mod impact aerobics)

SW: 208.6
    CW: 206.4
    GW for January: 204
  • taylok23
    Options
    1/2-1/3
    I’ve dropped nearly two pounds of water weight and have been feeling pretty good eating better. Macros have been on target and I’ve decided to log for the time being. I convinced hubs to start some probiotics with me to heal any gut issues that might be happening. No cravings to speak of, exercise continues and things are good. I need to focus on sleep and recovery as my ours ring recognizes I’ve gotten back to work and the stress of that is impacting me a bit.
    @Elli7767 i love the profile pic! I have a grown one, myself.
  • Elli7767
    edited January 4
    Options
    Y'all are doing fab!

@taylok23 Thanks. Full disclosure is that I saved that picture years ago because it reminded me of my first dog as a puppy. :smile:

I haven't weighed in awhile but I've been measuring my problem areas (waist and hips) and I am down 1.5 inches in my waist and one inch in my hips since 12/27. I probably should have unpacked my scale to see those fun early water drops but they usually quit within a few days and I get aggravated as the stall hits. I'm trying this year avoiding the scale and just behaving. If I'm doing all that I can then I feel a sense of relief to not let it ruin any more of my days. But like having a Dry January, I may feel different about avoiding the scale and booze next month. :wink:

• Elli7767
    Options
    TH 01/04:

Exercise
    Walked 4.39 miles

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,122 Member
    Options
    I have been sticking well with eating Keto since January 1st. I am back in Ketosis, and the water weight I put on over New Years has dropped significantly, especially when I got back into Ketosis yesterday. I am finding my eating is leaning more toward carnivore at the moment with my go to meals being beef, with some cheese, bacon, and eggs. Partly, that has been convenience, grilling us some sirloin patties is quick and easy. I have some frozen salmon that I think I will cook up on Saturday for a change. Carbs have been consistently under budget, although calories have been slightly over, and after eating sweets on Christmas and New Years Eve/Day, I find my sweet cravings are back. I am sure they will diminish as I am in ketosis for a week or so. Exercise has not been great. We have an upper respiratory infection going through the house, and while I only have a chest cough unlike the rest of the household, I didn't feel like coughing like crazy during my workout. I am a fair bit better today, so I may try my workout when I get home from work. If I get that in, I only missed one day.
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    @baconslave and @Megan_smartiepants1970 Happy belated birthday to you both. My bday was last Sat, the last celebration of 2023 (I don't care about NYE lol).

I did eat ALL the cookies with no regrets. I did also gain 5 lbs and while my clothes fit, they are not comfortable. I was back eating better Monday and working out Wed. I feel better already and happy my body recognizes what's good for me.

So for January goals:
    Planning ahead-Definitely
    Staying under carbs-aiming for 60 or under daily
    Logging and measuring-Doing it so far
    Getting in exercise/movement-still focusing on strength but need to move at least 20 min a day
    Jan SW 179
    CW 177
    Jan GW 173

While I wish I hadn't slacked off, something had to give between work and holiday stress.
    Back to business :)

• taylok23
    Options
    Another good couple of days for me too. Fairly close on macros but calories were a bit over today due to high fat intake. It seems to keep cravings at bay so I’m not going to worry. I need to get measurements in the next few days to see progress as I knew the scale will soon start to tick me off. I may have to flex a bit tomorrow as I’m going to a hockey game in my company’s suite and I doubt there will be much in the way of low carb offerings. I may grill some steak and fill up on that before we go. Still logging everything until it starts to become a pain. Keep up the good work!
  • Elli7767
    Options
    F 01/05:

Exercise
    Walked 5.53 miles, strength

Have a great weekend!