Jumpstart January Challenge 2024

Options

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,330 Member
    Options
    @baconslave and @Megan_smartiepants1970 Happy belated birthday to you both. My bday was last Sat, the last celebration of 2023 (I don't care about NYE lol).

I did eat ALL the cookies with no regrets. I did also gain 5 lbs and while my clothes fit, they are not comfortable. I was back eating better Monday and working out Wed. I feel better already and happy my body recognizes what's good for me.

So for January goals:
    Planning ahead-Definitely
    Staying under carbs-aiming for 60 or under daily
    Logging and measuring-Doing it so far
    Getting in exercise/movement-still focusing on strength but need to move at least 20 min a day
    Jan SW 179
    CW 177
    Jan GW 173

While I wish I hadn't slacked off, something had to give between work and holiday stress.
    Back to business :)

Thanks @tishsmith101 ...Happy Belated Birthday to you :)

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    *my eating is on point
    * I need to get back to working out 5x a week (I have a roadblock that says I am terrified of getting more hurt)
    * I did a lot of meal prepping so I am prepared and won't go off the rails..
    * My sleep is awful due to the pain
  • Elli7767
    Elli7767 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    SA 01/06:

Exercise
    Walked 4.72 miles

Calories/carbs under budget
  • nancyelizabeth547
    nancyelizabeth547 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Newbie here…. I’ve been plugging away since August using MFP and focusing on low carb and lost 16 lbs but hit a plateau and haven’t been able to drop the last ten. So I found this group and really am impressed with your organization and insight….. guess I have been flying by the seat of my pants and losing weight without planning. So today I’m embracing your advice and will create a plan for the week ahead using the recommended categories. Thank you for taking the time to bring this group and ideas together!
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    1/6-1/7
    Yesterday I did well until my outing-had a couple of low carb beers but no food. Bad part was, I ate when I got home which is waaaaay later than I should have eaten. Still fairly low carb but not ideal. Today I stuck to carnivore for the day so macros were good then snacked on nuts which gave me a stomachache. Oh well, live and learn. I’ll hop on the scale tomorrow and get some measurements to see how the week ended. I feel good that fasting was fairly consistent and I listened to my body when I needed some recovery. Still a work in progress.
  • Elli7767
    Options
    SU 01/07:

Exercise
    Walked 4.45 miles

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    Didn't log yesterday. I ate all carnivore, but likely went over calories. Today I will log what I eat, and try to get into the habit of doing so every day again. Weight is up a bit, but likely it has nothing to do with putting on fat and everything to do with undigested food.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options

I'm here, just busy and distracted as usual.

1/04- 1/05 Deets:
    • Hit cal goal
    • Hit carb goal
    • Did planned exercise: 1hr 20 min each day of strength and walk vid cardio

1/06:
      On plan which was off plan. Tried to keep stuff reasonable and failed. But didn't touch any booze so it's a win and I'm making plans to improve my next Saturday.

1/07:
      Didn't log. Sabotaged by inlaws, but did keep it quite reasonable. Will plan to log next week. Must do.

SW: 208.6
      CW: 206.6
      GW for January: 204

• Elli7767
    Options
    M 01/08:

Exercise
    Walked 4.72 miles, strength

2 solid whole weeks of behaving! :smiley:
  • Lelligigglebugs
    Lelligigglebugs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am new here. My A1C levels were high in June. I have not gotten rechecked.
    SW 174
    CW 158
    GW 145

I have been doing a diabetes prevention program which has helped. Going to the gym 2-3 x per week. Walking really helped. Now I am stuck on my weight. Trying to lose more.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    I am new here. My A1C levels were high in June. I have not gotten rechecked.
    SW 174
    CW 158
    GW 145

I have been doing a diabetes prevention program which has helped. Going to the gym 2-3 x per week. Walking really helped. Now I am stuck on my weight. Trying to lose more.

My HbA1C dropped from 6.3 to 5.2 doing Keto over the span of late April to about the same time in the month in November. My triglycerides went way down as well. The only negative according to my doctor is my cholesterol is up, but with my weight down 80 pounds, my blood sugar being normal now, my triglycerides being very low, my HDL being at a good level, and my blood pressure being way down so I only take one medication for it instead of 3, I am fine with that. I refuse to go back on a Statin as they make me feel horrible. I feel better than I have in a very long time.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    So far the year is going well. I am sticking to my carb and calorie goals. I am still not consistently in ketosis according to my ketone breath meter, but I always have ketones present and the numbers are going up. The only down side is exercise. I started the year with a chest cough, and it has done a number on my energy to exercise. Things are loosening up at this point, so I am going to try getting in a workout tonight when I get home. If that goes well, maybe I can get back into the habit of exercising. That will certainly help burn off the remaining glycogen stores, and get me further into ketosis.
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    So far this week-
    Planning ahead - yes
    Staying under carbs-aiming for 60 or under daily - over/under 5
    Logging and measuring-missed the weekend due to being sick
    Getting in exercise/movement-still focusing on strength but need to move at least 20 min a day-strength Monday 30 min, bowling Sunday, nada today.
    Jan SW 179
    CW 175.5
    Jan GW 173

Stupid head congestion, I am still catching up from an almost no sleep weekend. Pleasantly surprised how much protein I'm getting in daily. Having fam over tomorrow, breakfast for dinner. Lego pancakes for me, regular for them, sausage for all 😊. Some nice bone in ribeye steaks planned for Thurs (on sale!) and tuna casserole Friday.
  • Elli7767
    Options
    T 01/09:

Exercise
    Walked 4.73 miles

• Genmon02
    Genmon02 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Baconslave! So good to see a familiar name! I joined MFP wayyyy back in 2017, and this group was phenomenal. So many changes in my life but one thing has not changed...the battle for my health! So back to working on taking care of myself by caring for my health. Low-carb WOE has always been successful for me and so here I am again for moral support!

Thursday 1/11:

Water: Yep.
    Logged Food: Y
    Exercise as Planned: Walking
    At or Under Carb Level: No but close
    At or Under Calorie Limit: No but close!
    Planned Day Ahead: Not yet
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    1/8-1/11
    I’m still focused on protein, fats and fasting. Fasting is going fine with little hunger pangs until about the 18 hour mark. Protein was a little low a couple of days but carbs are in the keto range. As expected the scale is being a lunatic so I’m staying off til Monday. I did take measurements and have increased unfortunately, in the waist, chest and hips so as assumed, I’m gathering that middle aged fluff. I’m staying consistent so only time will tell. Until then, I’ll be living vicariously through your victories!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    edited January 12
    Options
    I am doing well with my food .. I lost 2 lbs this morning ...leg/ankle is giving me more problems but I am managing ...I hope everyone else is doing good :)
  • Im_Jim
    Im_Jim Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi gang! I’m late to the party but I would still like to join you guys as we strive for success.
    I’m Jim👋🏻. I’m 51 and live in So Cal. I have always been between 200 and 220 and I have had an active job. I promoted to a desk about 2 years ago and the scale shows it. I have had great success in the past with Keto, Carnivore, and IF. But they are unsustainable with no help at home or work. That’s why I need a group like this, to keep me on track.
    Last weekend I was out of town for work and ate like garbage. Slept like crap, clothes didn’t fit, why do I do this to myself? Back home Wednesday morning I jumped in the scale and saw the largest number I have ever seen. My journey begins Wednesday, Jan 10.

SW 234
    CW 228
    Jan GW 220
    Tot GW 190

Low carb for 1 week, then I’ll shoot for ketosis. 8-10k steps per day. Drink only water or black coffee. 16:8 IF most days.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    Im_Jim wrote: »
    Hi gang! I’m late to the party but I would still like to join you guys as we strive for success.
    I’m Jim👋🏻. I’m 51 and live in So Cal. I have always been between 200 and 220 and I have had an active job. I promoted to a desk about 2 years ago and the scale shows it. I have had great success in the past with Keto, Carnivore, and IF. But they are unsustainable with no help at home or work. That’s why I need a group like this, to keep me on track.
    Last weekend I was out of town for work and ate like garbage. Slept like crap, clothes didn’t fit, why do I do this to myself? Back home Wednesday morning I jumped in the scale and saw the largest number I have ever seen. My journey begins Wednesday, Jan 10.

SW 234
    CW 228
    Jan GW 220
    Tot GW 190

Low carb for 1 week, then I’ll shoot for ketosis. 8-10k steps per day. Drink only water or black coffee. 16:8 IF most days.

Welcome to the group Jim ... I am in my 50's and also live in California (central cali here)...wishing you much success :)
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Im_Jim wrote: »

SW 234
    CW 228
    Jan GW 220
    Tot GW 190

I am another person in my 50s. I have actually found Keto easier to stick with than simply calorie counting. When I eat away from home I tend to go carnivore ordering a-la-carte. Even getting several quarter-pounder patties at McDonald's is better than going off track.