Leslie Sansone January 2024 Walk and Workout Challenge

Options

Replies

• Deeder522
    Deeder522 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    We haven't lost power...yet. 🤞🏻 I measured our snow this morning. 5" on the driveway and 8-9' in the yard. The Airport is reported 7.8" The snow has that nice crunchy crust to it. Our specific area, we think, gets some protection from the Grand River that cuts through the area. All the really bad stuff parts around us like the Red Sea did for Moses. 😊
    Currently, it snowing very small teeny tiny flakes. We're supposed to get some accumulation today. The lake effect snow machine gears up this afternoon and then we plunge into polar vortex temperatures.

Today will be a good book and movie type of day with some laundry thrown in for good measure. I think I'll make up a batch of chili for the kid and me tonight. I have a nice pork chop set aside for Ryan.

• Deeder522
    Options
    We received another 7-8 inches. From what I've measured, I have a solid 17" with 22" drifts. Another 4-6" is due before the day is over. It looks like we'll be having snow at least through Wednesday. My BFF in NY has informed me that the snow has arrived in her area. She has squall warnings. I told her sharing is caring, so enjoy! 😉 ☺️

Yesterday, I managed a few loads of laundry. Today, I decided to clean the makeup bag. I'm not one to wear a lot of makeup so it's fair to say a lot of the items were pretty old. Of course, while I'm cleaning I'm also putting certain colors on to see how they look. So I was all dolled up when I did my JS walk today. 🤣

Also, I'm down a pound. 🤷🏼‍♀️ So far I'm just trying to stay away from dairy and fast food in general, and of course, I'm walking again. I really need to find a good protein powder that I can tolerate because I'm sick of chewing meat. 🤣🤣

@texasgardnr, Hope you're doing ok down there. The weather map looks crazy for nearly all areas in the US right now.
    @zichab, are you guys hunkered down now?
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    January Goals: 21 Days Walk & Talk with Jessica Smith: Log at least 1 meal/day: Average 6500 steps/day
    Jan 1-JS-0, Log-0, Steps: 3664
    Jan 2-JS-0, Log-0, Steps: 2327
    Jan 3-JS Walk & Talk: The Space Between , Log 2, Steps 6168
    Jan 4-JS Walk & Talk: How to Get and Stay Motivated, Log 2 Steps 6169
    Jan 5-JS Walk & Talk: The Compound Effect, Log 1, Steps 5107
    Jan 6-JS Walk & Talk: Walk Off Stress & Tension, Log 2, Steps 7321
    Jan 7-JS-0 Log-0, Steps 5220
    Jan 8-JS-0 Log-0, Steps 3009
    Jan 9-JS Walk & Talk: Busyness(sic) vs Happiness, Log 2, Steps 5917
    Jan 10-JS Walk & Talk: How to Stay on Track, Log 1, Steps 6707
    Jan 11-JS Walk & Talk: The Value of Simplicity, Log 2, Steps 7059
    Jan 12-JS Walk & Talk: Lessons we can Learn from Nature, Log 3, Steps 5546
    Jan 13- JS-0 Log 3, Steps 6871
    Jan14-JS Walk & Talk: New Years Resolution Solution, Log 2 Steps
    We are definitely hunkered down now! The lake effect machine has turned on and we have blizzard and then sun and then blizzard and then sun. We have about 6" right now and they are saying we can expect 3-9 more. Dennis is thinking he may skip cardio rehab tomorrow and go Tuesday instead. :laugh: Right now, my wind chimes are virtually blowing off the post and they are INSIDE our screen porch!!! I do not think we will get to 17", but it is supposed to snow all night so who knows what will be out there when we wake up. I love it though. I am also worried about @texasgardnr as they are talking about power shortages down there again. She made it through last time OK, so let us hope she is OK this time as well.
    WOW you guys did get buried. I follow a You Tuber who Lives in Big Rapids and she said she had 13 inches in her back yard and it was still snowing!!! She had to shovel a path for her poor little dog to get out and do his business! The snow is higher than he is! :wink:
    I am down 2 pounds as well and I suspect it is logging, less wine (which always happens when I log :blushing: ), and doing Jessica daily. For me, it is not food really. I love good food, meat, eggs, chicken, all veggies, etc. I am not a sweet freak and I do not drink soda. But I also do not do as much cardio as I need to do to keep my metabolic rate up. I know this in my brain and yet it is like a Herculean task to DO IT consistently!!!! I am using Jessica to get back into the habit and the idea that "I can do ANYTHING for 15 minutes."
    We have a problem with our downstairs wood stove and the chimney sweep is coming tomorrow to investigate and hopefully fix it. But that meant that yesterday I had to remove all the decor, cover all the books, move the furniture away from the stove and cover it. I was too tired last night for Jessica. We think a squirrel might have made a nest in the chimney and that has been catching the smoke that goes up and has created a plug. It was working fine and all of a sudden we got a room full of smoke. I HATE that!!! Of course when does this happen??? When we are suppose to go below zero and will need to rely on our central heat. I know First world problem!!!!! Stay warm out there! :bigsmile:
  • Deeder522
    Options
    January Goals

Apple New Year challenge - Close all Rings 7 days in a row.✅
    Apple January Challenge - 3 Walking workouts of 5 minutes or more.✅
    Walk n Talk Challenge - Complete Jessica Smth's Walk N Talk series this month. 13 /21
    Mileage Tracked - 42 Miles

My sleep wasn't great last night. I did earn 13 exercise minutes trying to dig my car out of the weekend's snow. We woke up to another 3" and probably have another 2" as I write this. The wind chill is below zero. The air hurts my face.
    Rest/recovery day for me. I'll do some light stretches today but I don't think I have it in me for a full walk.
  • zichab
    Options
    January Goals: 21 Days Walk & Talk with Jessica Smith: Log at least 1 meal/day: Average 6500 steps/day
    Jan14-JS Walk & Talk: New Years Resolution Solution, Log 2 Steps 6135
    Jan 15-JS Walk & Talk: Let's Move, Log 3, Steps
    I hate it when the wind chill is below zero. We went to Old Forge, NY to snowmobile in the 70s and it was -40F and it did not feel cold at all. Everything was so still that you could barely hear the snow crunching beneath your feet. Sound just did not travel very far at that temp. But wind chill at -5 is biting!!!
    We ended up with about 11" of snow all together, which is not bad as it came in waves. Dennis dug the truck and car out this afternoon, but the guy who plows for us had cleared the drive way three times so it did not seem as bad as it was. Dennis did skip Cardio Rehab today though and we will go tomorrow. It just seemed silly to take a chance when things will be bare and wet tomorrow.
    I am sorry you are having trouble sleeping. I hate it when I can't sleep. Nothing seems to work on those nights and I am so groggy the next day. Speaking of sleep, I need to go to bed as I am heading to Plattsburgh to the dentist tomorrow! Then, we are stopping so Dennis can do his missed Cardio Rehab on the way back. I am not sure I will have it in me tomorrow to deal with Jessica, but we shall see! :bigsmile:
  • Deeder522
    Options
    Snow, wind, and cold temperatures continue. It felt like a busy day for me today but I managed to get my 15 min with JS in. Nothing new to report. 😊
  • Deeder522
    Options
    My Dad dropped off a few Costco items I asked for this afternoon. 1 of which was fully cooked and portioned chicken. 24g of protein in each portion. I'm slowly working on adding more protein in my days.

The snow has finally slowed down today. After nearly a week of warnings and advisories, it's become quiet. Now they are talking of a warm-up for next week, so we should also start hearing about flooding.

15 min with JS today and I can't believe we're halfway through the month.

@zichab, Hope your visits to town went well.
  • Deeder522
    Options
    I've been doing the JS walks as a countdown starting with #21. the one I was supposed to do today wouldn't play right so I had to skip to another one. I'll be honest, I just did the workout to just do the workout. I was lagging through it.

The latest snowstorm is staying south of me this time. We're still in for some cold temperatures.

Protein. When you can't have dairy it sucks to try and get protein in. Still looking for other options but it really does seem like my body just naturally wants to reject all types of dairy, alternative or not. ☹️ I have 2 smoothie mixes to finish up in the freezer. I'll see if I can find some protein powder I can use as a boost.
  • zichab
    edited January 20
    Options
    Jan 15-JS Walk & Talk: Let's Move, Log 3, Steps 8844
    Jan 16- JS 0, Log 1, Steps 3689 :angry:
    Jan 17-JS 0, Log 0, Steps 3124 :rage:
    Jan 18-JS 0, Log 1, Steps 2886 :explode:
    Jan 19-JS Walk & Talk: What Does a Healthy Lifestyle Look Like?, Log 3, Steps
    We have had a crazy few days! Last Thursday, when we went to Dennis' cardio rehab, the truck was making a growling noise and it got worse as time went on. Over the weekend it was getting louder and louder. We got a crap ton of snow on Monday, so he changed his rehab to Tuesday and we had to go to Plattsburgh (1 hour 45 min on a good day) for my dentist appointment on Tuesday as well. They changed the snow prediction from 1-3" to 3-6", but we were too scared to take the 4WD truck, so we took the Vibe. It snowed overnight and snowed all the way to Plattsburgh!!! :noway: The Vibe is Front Wheel Drive, but it sits pretty low to the ground and we have mountain roads to drive on to get there. We got up at 6 to get everything blown out so we could get the Vibe up the driveway, but even with the snow covered roads, we made it to the dentist on time! By the time we got out at noon, everything on the roads was melting. We stopped on the way back for his Rehab appointment and when we got home, we had diner and went to bed. The stress did us in!!! :laugh: On Wednesday, we took the truck to the shop, picked up flowers & Ballons for our Cardio Therapy people to thank them for all they have done for Dennis, and I did all the work I had not done on Monday and Tuesday. By the end of the day, I ran out of energy and time for Jessica. Yesterday was Dennis' last day of his tracked cardio rehab (they hook him up to all kinds of printouts and machines while he is working out) and he is going to continue his Cardio Rehab plan (without all the wiring up each time) for the next 3 months, but it will be right up the street from us instead of 35 minutes away. :smiley: He sees a different cardio therapist, but she works with the others so everything will be consistent and his Cardiologist will get all his data. That is going to save so much time and energy for me as I do not have to go each time! :+1: Anyway, we went to McDonalds to celebrate the end of tracked rehab (real irony there right? :laugh: There is very little to choose form around here at lunch time) and then went to Aldis. We both collapsed when we got home, no doubt from the McD's fat, sodium and carbs! :embarassed: Today, things are more normal finally. The truck needed a new wheel bearing and we got it back today, we blew more snow out of our driveway since it has been snowing daily and we brought in 6 loads of wood. I was ready for Jessica tonight!!! :laugh:
    I like the idea of a countdown, but I do not have her 21 Day Walk & Talk in order, so I am going to do in order, the ones I have not yet completed. There are 22 in all and that means I can only skip 1 of them!
    We are at -3F right now and it is heading to -10F tonight. When Dennis and I started getting the wood, it was 18F and in the 30 minutes it took us to get 6 loads, it dropped to 10F!!! The arctic blast is finally here and the snow machine has slowed down. Ontario has really been dumping on us this year. :drinker:
    Protein is extremely hard without dairy. Eggs and nuts are about it for me, beside meats. I know they all push quinoa and it has some protein, but I do not like it enough to gain that much benefit from it. I try to hide it in things, but geez, how much quinoa can one person eat! :grumble:
    I am going to be home until next Wednesday and it feels great!!! Color me happy!!! :bigsmile:
  • zichab
    Options
    Jan 12-JS Walk & Talk: Lessons we can Learn from Nature, Log 3, Steps 5546xas
    Jan 16- JS 0, Log 1, Steps 3689
    Jan 17-JS 0, Log 0, Steps 3124
    Jan 18-JS 0, Log 1, Steps 2886
    Jan 19-JS Walk & Talk: What Does a Healthy Lifestyle Look Like?, Log 3, Steps 7023 :+1:
    Jan 20-JS-Walk & Talk: The Power of Momentum, Log 3, Steps
    This Walk and Talk was so sad. Jessica had just lost Peanut and apparently she had not uploaded for awhile. It was Dec 2021 and I felt so bad for her. Losing pets is so darn hard.
    Not much going on today. Got all my Christmas bins out to the garage and at -5F, that was enough! I'll take them up to the attic when it gets warmer. It snowed all day and we have another 2" so that was nice.
    Dennis and I came to the realization today that maybe the reason why we do not suffer from SAD is the snow. Our house is in the woods (and all of the houses we have owned have been surrounded by mature trees as strange as that seems) so it is dark most of the time from the trees. But when it snows, it brightens the house right up as all the trees are covered and they reflect tons of light into all of our windows. I have more mood issues in the summer than I ever have in the winter. Maybe people just need more snow??? Hear that @texasgardnr? :bigsmile:
  • Deeder522
    Options
    A 2-day break with me. I had a nice lunch with my Dad, his 2 sisters, and their Aunt. I feel confident I'll finish off JS WnT this week though.
    The snow makes everything so bring. I find that I wear my sunglasses just as much in the winter as I do in the Summer.

We're looking at a warming trend this week and all the snow will start to melt away.
  • zichab
    Options
    Jan 19-JS Walk & Talk: What Does a Healthy Lifestyle Look Like?, Log 3, Steps 7023 :+1:
    Jan 20-JS-Walk & Talk: The Power of Momentum, Log 3, Steps 7201
    Jan 21-JS-Walk & Talk: Accountability & Achievement, Log 3 Steps
    Kind of a dull Sunday of book reading around here. At -7F, there is not a lot more to do! :laugh: We are getting snow Mon, Tues, & Wednesday. It is going to rain, Thurs & Fri and then snow again on Saturday! So much for the January thaw!
    I won't finish this week, but I will next week and I already have my tentative plan for Feb. Now that Dennis can do his cardio rehab in town, I have more time to focus on my "cardio rehab" at home! :bigsmile:
  • Deeder522
    Options
    January Goals

Apple New Year challenge - Close all Rings 7 days in a row.✅
    Apple January Challenge - 3 Walking workouts of 5 minutes or more.✅
    Walk n Talk Challenge - Complete Jessica Smth's Walk N Talk series this month. 16 /21
    Mileage Tracked - 59 Miles

I woke up to some flurries and another ER call from a client. My walk will have to happen tonight.
    Speaking of Feb. What is your plan @zichab ? I'm trying to figure mine out.

Ryan had a small flare-up of lymphedema. We've never seen it since he lost all the weight. So we are backing off the salt intake for a few days. It's slowly getting better as we can start to see his ankles again and feel the bones in his feet. Random occurrence from what we can tell. 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • zichab
    Options
    Jan 21-JS-Walk & Talk: Accountability & Achievement, Log 3 Steps 5352
    Jan 22-JS-Walk & Talk: Progress not Perfection, Log 1 Steps
    Oh no! Poor Ryan! I am glad backing off the sodium helped.
    Funny you should ask as I just worked out my plan for February tonight while I was watching Dateline :laugh: I need to be scheduled to stay on track. So, I am going to up the time, switch to miles and work out MWF and then either Sat or Sun for a total of 4 days each week. I have 4 of Leslie's 30 minute, 2 miles walks and there are some on You Tube. I'd like to hit a 3 mile daily goal, but it may just average out to that. We'll see how it goes. I am also going back to logging everything for a minimum of 4 days each week. I have been sporadic this month and I have to get back on track. I finally have a smart phone so I really do not have any excuse to be honest. So, that is the plan!
    Dull day around here. Laundry, cleaning, reading and Dateline! :bigsmile:

• Deeder522
    Options
    I did a bunch of errands this morning and then a bunch of IT work this afternoon. That filled my day but I got to JS after dinner.
    The temperature is rising and we had a freezing rain come through this morning. We have Dense fog alerts for tomorrow. I saw 4 cars in the ditch doing errands this morning. Glad I wasn't one of them.
    Tonight, I lived and tried plant-based sour cream. So far my body doesn't seem to be rejecting it. Flavor wasn't too bad either a little more mellow than normal sour cream.
  • zichab
    Options
    Jan 22-JS-Walk & Talk: Progress not Perfection, Log 1 Steps 8712
    Jan 23-JS-Walk & Talk: Gratitude & Goals, Log 3, Steps
    I was vegan for a hot minute a few years ago when Dennis was at the lake for a month after I came home to MI. Some of the vegan stuff was pretty good if you accepted it on its own merit, rather than expecting it to be an exact substitute for something else. I imagine a vegan sour cream would be like that. Vegan cheese I could not do, :noway: but I did learn to really like Nutritional Yeast and I still use it on my omelettes. I also learned to love edamame and that has become part of our regular diet now also. Without Dennis, I think I could have figured out how to be totally vegan, but he was not on board with that. Thankfully, neither of deal with food sensitivities (probably from be brought up on farms and having to eat and drink raw everything!!! :smile:). My son, however has the dairy sensitivity and has to be very careful.
    Dull round here today again. More cleaning, a bit of snow and trip to town so a neighbor could pick up his car. We're getting snow all night, nothing tomorrow, so we are going to get all of our errands done as the freezing rain is moving in tomorrow night from the Midwest. Thanks for sharing! :laugh: The lake is frozen and has a good 18" of snow on it. It is going to absorb all this rain like a sponge and we are going to have super high water in the spring!!! Holy Moley!!! Our dock might not go in until July! :bigsmile:

• zichab
    Options
    Jan 23-JS-Walk & Talk: Gratitude & Goals, Log 3, Steps 7387
    Jan 23-JS-Walk & Talk: Motivation, Log 3, Steps
    Dear Lord it is raining ... like crazy ... in January!!!! :grumble: It is going to be in the 40s for the rest of the week. We just went to Saranac Lake where they have a Winter Carnival every winter with an ice palace. They have the the first 5 rows of blocks up that have been harvested from the lake, but 40F for 4 days will definitely slow down that progress. This was last year's palace to give you an idea of what they do. It is n=made of blocks of ice cut from the lake and it is all done by volunteers. It is amazing.
    3ugrxfdttim3.png
    Busy today as Dennis went to his first cardio rehab in town and LOVED it!!! He said the facilities are much better and without all the attached wires, he is freer to move, so he is happy. We got hair cuts and then went to Saranac Lake to Dollar Tree for Valentine & St Patrick decorations, a hardware store for metric wrenches and groceries. When we got back, Dennis blew some snow away from the house, garage and shed so the rain water is channeled away from the buildings. I never like rain, even in summer, but in winter it can cause us a ton of headaches. Tomorrow I am going to deep clean my bedroom so I will not care about the rain! :bigsmile:
  • Deeder522
    Options
    Yesterday was very blah for me. I didn't even close any of my rings.
    Today, however, I woke up and got right to JS. Washed some dishes and scheduled 2 clients for the afternoon.
    I'm having my morning tea, Jasmine today. I also finished off the other half of the smoothie I made yesterday.

We did a little roof raking and took down the ice to help with this warm-up. The Gutters are flowing steadily here.
  • zichab
    Options
    Jan 23-JS-Walk & Talk: Gratitude & Goals, Log 3, Steps 7387
    Jan 23-JS-Walk & Talk: Motivation, Log 3, Steps 6524
    Jan 24-JS-Walk & Talk: 5 Great Reasons to Exercise, Log 3, Steps
    Finally, 7 days of logging every day. I hope I can keep it up in February.
    All we did today was open a small ditch that goes across our driveway to make sure the water had a place to go that was NOT our garage! We are going to put in a drain culvert this year because this problem keeps getting worse. When the town ran the sewer lines to our house (bless them for that by the way as we were on septic :grumble:), they cut off some of the natural underground drainage and although they tried to fix it, it has not been a long term solution. Tomorrow, we are under a warning for freezing rain and ice so we will have a skating rink in our driveway. I am not sure which is worse. In any event, it is not snow and that is a bummer! :wink:
    I mostly cleaned today! My side of our bedroom had become a small library and I needed to get the books back downstairs where they belong. I also had not put all the regular decor back since Christmas as I like to live with the bare furniture for awhile and let the house breath. So, I got all the decor out of our room as well. Dust bunnies accumulate after 2 months of minimal cleaning and too much stuff in the room! :laugh: Meh, it's all good as it will not go anywhere without me! :bigsmile:
  • Deeder522
    Options
    I got going with Jessica this morning, again. I've been busy with work most of the day. It's a working weekend for Ryan as he's doing an e-mail migration for a client. So I'll stay out of his hair for most of it. Lunch with a friend tomorrow and the Lions Sunday night.

I still have the itch to clean but cold weather puts a hitch in it. My trash can not take everything I want to throw out so it's a little bit each week.