Living The Lifestyle - Monday 2/5/24

Options
crewahl
crewahl Posts: 3,957 Member
edited February 5 in Social Groups
This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday – Wildcard
Wednesday-misterhub (Greg)
Thursday -imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday - Wildcard

Today's Topic: Living like it’s 2024

If you had to start your weight loss journey over today, would you do the weight loss medications that are out there?

Replies

• crewahl
    Options
    “Clinical vs behavioral” is a debate that’s creating a bit of a schism in the WW community.

Having come up the “old school” way on WW, my first instinctive reaction is “we don' need no steenkin' medications”. But if I’m being honest, I’m not sure that’s how I’d approach it.

I suspect I would not be an early adopter, but rather curious about it. I didn’t jump on Phen-Phen, and I opted not to do bariatric surgery. Like the current crop of medications, they had enough of a blend of unpleasant side effects and failures that I wanted to see more of a history of success before putting myself through that. It’s less about my innate desire to feel morally superior for doing it “the hard way”, and more about the fact that so far, the level of promise that it offers isn’t worth the complications and risks it suggests. It’s a bit like laser eye surgery - it seems safe, but given that I’ve only got two eyes,mi want more of a guarantee of suggest before going down that path.

But I’m curious what others think about this. 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I would only try the new drugs if I knew in my heart of hearts I'd made every effort to try to adopt healthy behaviors in eating and exercise to balance CICO and was getting nowhere or if I was at a weight where my life was in jeopardy and my doc recommended them. I'm not anti-meds, but I tend to think of all meds as either a last resort or as a bridge to help you get to a healthy point and hopefully be able to discontinue the meds.

I really haven't researched the glp-1 meds, but I have a family member who was put on them in maybe 2021. She was pre-diabetic and had struggled to lose weight over the years. She has lost 100 pounds and looks and feels great. But she does her part in consistently watching what she eats/drinks. Seeing her success, another family member somehow got access to the drug to help her lose about 15 pounds for a big event. (They've never discussed it with me.) She re-gained the weight pretty quickly following the event.

So, short answer, I think the drugs are likely a God-send for people who truly cannot lose the weight, and I would consider taking them if I'd tried everything else and couldn't lose weights.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,010 Member
    edited February 6
    Options
    Very recently like 10-11 days ago I went to my GP Dr. We've been on a quest to help me loose weight. He's young a resident and We've been working together quite some time.

For a long time I've tried just about every drug related to weight loss. Shots the diabetics take to really every single drug that has a side effect as weight loss.
    Nothing worked and by that I mean they really didn't help and some I had to drop because of the expense.

So this last visit January 24th 10 days ago I told him I'm going to currently stick with what seems to be working from a company that has scientifically proved to manufacture different healthy snacks and drinks that alter the crave to eat or in their terms crave blockers. They are working so far and I'll continue on this route as I told him going forward. He agreed and I'll see him in 6 months.

I'll report back as we go along.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I, too, have some concern about jumping onto a medication bandwagon until their safety profile has been well-studied. It's important to weigh (no pun intended) the risk/benefit ratio. I'm not sure the risk profile has been sufficiently sorted-out yet for me to immediately go to meds. I do think it's important to establish a "lifestyle," or at least a diet that one can stick with long-term, because as we've all seen, it's easy to go back to our old-approach to food intake, and when we do, all of those precious loses come back pretty quickly.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,098 Member
    Options
    IF I was at that "tipping point" that I was at, when I was just diagnosed as "a diabetic and 335#" I would at least consider them. I would work with my PCP, before investigating them.
    Now, with only 10-15# to my hoped for weight, NO!
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,979 Member
    Options
    I have never even considered them as an option for me!
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,283 Member
    Options
    No. An acute issue might change my mind. However, only a lifestyle change will have true lasting effect.

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,485 Member
    Options
    Starting. Absolutely. The old me would have jumped at a seemingly easy fix. Maybe it wouldn’t be easy. Might not be a fix. Might have nasty side effects. But I wouldn’t have paid much attention to any of that. That’s how I was then.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Timely topic as I am restarting my weight loss journey, though not from my highest weight back in the day. I am looking into rejoining WW, and as you can see am looking to GoaD for the benefits it offers. I do not not plan to use any drugs.
  • ClayandRocks
    ClayandRocks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    No I would not, unless diabetes were an issue. I already have somewhat slow gastric emptying, so I would be very reluctant to take medicines that increase this issue. I also wonder what changes take place in the hormonal system after extended use.
    But having recognized how much my overeating is due to that voice in my brain saying, "Go on, eat some more, it'll be very enjoyable", I know there is value in the medications.
  • crewahl
    Options
    But having recognized how much my overeating is due to that voice in my brain saying, "Go on, eat some more, it'll be very enjoyable", I know there is value in the medications.

Great point - how much of appetite is hunger and how much is desire? Although with side effects of nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, I suspect desire tends to fade as well. 🤷🏻‍♂️