FEBRUARY 2024 CHALLENGES -- 02/01 -- 02/29

Options

Replies

• PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,686 Member
    edited February 22
    Options
    My workout is dubbed the turkey run.

Putting out bird food a couple years ago brought a smattering of small birds. A year later crows and squirrels joined in. But now the wild turkeys have arrived. They are beautiful and funny. If there were only a half dozen, that'd be fine. But there are multiple flocks and probably 30+ birds.

Imagine a dozen turkeys swarming your deck, clucking and gobbling. Running to get to the food before I do. They're huge and push the other animals away. And they eat Everything. Then they camp in the backyard waiting for more. It is impossible to feed anybody else when they're around. So now I hide food and shoo them away.

But here's the workout. I see them arrive and go rushing outside, dashing back and forth sweeping up seed from the railing and stashing it inside. Then go back out, waving my arms and shuffling as fast as I can in my fuzzy slippers. They fly up to the roof, over the fence or under the deck. Then wait for me to turn my back. I keep shooing till they give up and mosey along.

It's like doing 20 minute cardio sets which get repeated every couple hours. They squawk with disapproval. It's kinda fun.

Paula
    o6evjalm80zs.jpg
  • zumbaforever
    zumbaforever Posts: 6,855 Member
    Options
    Paula the darn turkeys are here also. Can I borrow your fuzzy slippers? Rocky uses bird feeders on poles to feed the little guys. I can just imagine you chasing them away. They can be mean. So be careful. You do get cardio in. The turkey shuffle! :p

Chris I would so let you do my nails. Sounds beautiful.

Got in a an workout. It was awful. No way can I do that all. Lots of modifications. .The last exercise was mountain climbers. I was actually excited to do them since it meant no more and contortions!

Shelley
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,236 Member
    Options
    Wednesday got in 2 FitOn workouts. Full body strength and abs + butt which was almost not doable as Shelley said so I added 40 minutes on my recumbent.

Paula did I ever tell you about my bird phobia. I would die if they were on my patio. Even your photo gave me shivers. But it sounds like a good workout for you.

Kathy
  • KAR1959
    Options
    Highest Weight - 248
    Ultimate Goal Weight -148
    February 31 goal weight - 168.8

Jan 31 ending weight - 171.8
    Feb 01 - 171.8
    Feb 08 - 172.2
    Feb 15 - 171.8
    Feb 22 - 171.2 🙂
    Feb 29 -

Kathy

• cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,289 Member
    Options
    Paula, your turkey shuffle sounds so funny! Your view off your back porch is beautiful! There were five turkeys in the Bed Store parking lot Saturday! Just walking around...making turkey noises. So funny!
    Kathy, how did your bird phobia happen? I think I have a pineapple phobia..is that a thing? I shiver at the sight of it...smell of it...Ronan waves it in my face because he like to see Grandma shiver!! :D
    Shelley, I would have air brushed all kinds of designs on your nails! I'd have figured out how to do a purple gun on a white background...yeppy, yep! Totally cool!
    Collin will be here shortly and then our morning will get very busy.
    Later, my friends.
    Chris
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    Chris I want my nails painted. Airbrushed sounds wonderful. With guns and flowers. Or fish. How about a dumbbell? Yes yes. Pineapples? However did that happen? They smell and taste wonderful. I would probably be on Romans team. Make grandma shiver! B)

Kathy afraid of birds? Do tell. Any trigger for this fear? I used to have parakeets. And Rocky feeds birds all the time. My daughter is an expert in native bird's. I have a photo of her holding a young golden eagle. They were banding them. She has an interesting job. Your weight is going down. :)

Got in 2 FitOn workouts tonight. A total body an stretch. Thursday is juvenile court. We are always running late. So glad I got the workout done. Men can be so infuriating. I am next in charge after the folks with stripes. Our policy even out lines it. So who does corporal Snyder relay information to? His old street buddy who is new to court and knows very little! Ok done venting.

Shelley
  • KAR1959
    Options
    Thursday got in two workouts stretch and standing arms and core.

Kathy
  • cpanus
    edited February 24
    Options
    Shelley, that would be some fun airbrushing!! I got some spoiled pineapple on an ice cream dish when I was a kid. Got really sick from it. Can't do it. :p
    Yes, Kathy, what's the bird story?
    Got 60 min workout w/my trainer today after Collin Duty. Pat got Ronan from school and we had him until @ 4:00 when the kids picked him up and headed to Monterey for the weekend. We have Bean until Sunday.
    I don't know what tomorrow holds...we have to drop off taxes but one of us has to stay here w/Bean to make sure he doesn't eat the couches. I need to walk to the post office either Sat or Sun...we'll see how things play out.
    Chris
  • cpanus
    Options
    Beautiful this morning! 5.43 miles in 109 mins to the post office and back.
    Planning on walking to Target tomorrow for some generic Sudafed that you cannot buy over the counter any longer but have to go to the pharmacy, show ID, etc and not buy too soon!! ...such a hassle just to stop my runny nose!!
    Chris
  • zumbaforever
    edited February 25
    Options
    Chris I had lemonade when a kid. Started off very cold. Was to much for a little girl. Got warm and I drank it anyway. Lemonade is a hard sale now. Does Bean eat couches? Poor Bean. He will get such a tummy ache. Hope your taxes went well. And you got in your walk. How did your workout go?

Kathy great workouts. You are doing great. Keep going! :)

I got in a 18 minute workout yesterday. Painted a little. Doing it in sections. Spent some time in the hot tub also.

This morning I looked for things to make me a cover for my small tank. Nope. Will have to order it. Then went to set up my new protein skimmer. It was broke. Boxed it back up. Scrap day. Went and binged watched Alien series. Then had a healthy dinner.

Shelley
  • cpanus
    edited February 26
    Options
    Shelley, Bean hasn't eaten anything over here but the kids say he chews thing he shouldn't when they are gone for too long according to Bean. :D On the other hand...Grandma gives him way too many treats and he decorates the back yard a lot and it makes Grandpa grouchy!!!!
    My workout was great. My trainer is really good to me. She does a lot of research on my issues.
    Got to Target today and got my generic Sudafed which they were out of at one point and at another point their computer wouldn't complete any Sudafed orders. EGADS, man!!!
    It's only three miles the way I did it...cutting thru parking lots and such...then I walked around the high school to get 5.05 miles in 102 mins. Part of the way to Target is walking at the side of the road in dirt and rocks and water. I was careful and stayed far away from traffic. It was a good walk and beautiful this morning. Got to over 70 degrees!! I did read that there was a nasty storm headed our way, however. We'll see.
    Chris
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    Googling ornithophobia on WebMD said "There is evidence that specific phobias like this may be inherited. ‌(or...) A negative encounter with birds can cause ongoing fear, even if a person forgets what happened."

I had a coworker with this. She didn't like the skylights above our cubicles but fortunately there were rarely birds up there; and eventually she got an office, so that helped.

I used to feel I'd accidentally open the car door and fall out on a switchback near my home. My mom later told me that it had actually almost happened when I was a toddler - before child-locks I guess.

I also ate too many strawberries on my grandma's farm as a kid and still can't stand berries with seeds in them. A friend did the same thing. I guess pineapple does the same thing.

So many ways we become who we are. <3

paula
  • KAR1959
    Options
    Today I completed two FitOn workouts, a total body stretch and a full body strength session lower body, core upper body and cardio. Also my kettlebell abs workout and 30 mins on the recumbent…as well as 10,000+ steps. I had to get my motivation back. Last week was rough.

Paula I remember as a child these trees in Buffalo filled with little birds and I wouldn’t walk under them, I would continuously cross the street. Then I saw Alfred Hitchcock movie “The Birds” and that was it for me. I’ll never forget those black crows chasing those school children down the street. I’ve never gotten over my fear. It didn’t help that my older sister and brother started pecking me as I’m cowering under a blanket. Siblings. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Kathy
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    Chris funny how dogs prefer decorations other peoples yards more than their own. That sounds like a great hike. I still remember when you could just grab whatever Sudafed you wanted and no questions. I miss those days. I envy you your trainer.

Hey Paula that was an interesting read. So no strawberries for you. And you require child locks while driving. ;) Even our pets are shared by their experiences.

Kathy I wondered if that movie had anything to do with your fear of birds. I really like them. Great workouts.

Did 2 workouts this evening. Took Rocky for an upper scope this morning.

Shelley
  • cpanus
    Options
    I cleaned house for our housekeeper today, played with Collin, napped Collin, played with Ronan and now I am going to read.
    I have a DMV appt to renew my driver's license Thursday...have to take a test this time...Egads, man!! You'd think they'd give me a break just for showing up...but NOOOOOOO!! Must read the Rule Book.
    Chris
  • KAR1959
    Options
    Completed two FitOn workouts lower body stretch and upper body lift. Added my KB abs this evening.

Kathy
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    Chris you have to take a written test again? Wow. Never heard of that. I need my license. I will never move where they do that. Nopey nope!

Kathy nice going. Keep going!

Work today and it got messed up quick. Our HUB was not connecting. So we were unable to do face time with the jail. So more inmates than normal had to come down to the courthouse.

Still got home on time. Did 2 FitOn workouts. 20 minutes of upper body. Third set was bad. But the rest was good. 12 minutes of a good stretch. Heading to bed now. Night my friends.

Shelley
  • cpanus
    edited February 28
    Options
    Shelley, where do you live? Pat's going to ask me when I tell him you guys don't have to retest every so often down at the DMV that is always a goat $$$$. It's horrible!!
    Got my trainer today at noon but Collin first!! He is a riot! So full of it! Ronan this afternoon.
    Well, I'll come back later but must get serious and drink a lot of coffee now.
    Chris
  • kjs1228
    kjs1228 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Paula - I'm imagining you pushing those turkeys away :-) I do consider that a workout!

I've been getting my nails done recently. It's been a really long time since I've gotten them done and I have to say I'm really enjoying having them look so nice. I was doing them myself but that wasn't a great idea :-)

Went to yoga last night which was exactly what I needed. Haven't been able to get there recently with my schedule. I'm doing a fairly good job tracking my food and trying to be more controlled with late night eating. Such a tough thing!

I leave for my yoga retreat in Costa Rica and exactly one month. My goal was to lose six more pounds before we go. Let's see how I do! Was hoping to be in really good shape before I go. Not that that number means anything about who I am :-)

Highest weight ever: 306 (2013)
    Ultimate goal weight: 165
    2/10 - 182.7
    2/29 - 181.6
    Feb goal - 180
  • KAR1959
    Options
    Highest Weight - 248
    Ultimate Goal Weight -148
    February 31 goal weight - 168.8

Jan 31 ending weight - 171.8
    Feb 01 - 171.8
    Feb 08 - 172.2
    Feb 15 - 171.8
    Feb 22 - 171.2 🙂
    Feb 29 - 172.2

Didn’t reach goal but my clothes are definitely looser and I’ve been consistent with exercise because of FitOn and Shelley. I’m going to have to control the late night snacking by eating healthier snacks and not eating after 8:00. I made a plate of grits and veggies the next the night that mom and I shared. Have to do more of these.

4tk3hk0lgs9j.jpeg

Kathy