Options
steve0mania
steve0mania Posts: 2,938 Member
Yo. How'd you do?

Replies

• steve0mania
    Options
    I'm down 0.4 pounds. I hit a big milestone of being 10 pounds down overall (more-or-less, depending on what I count as my official re-starting weight)! Whoo hoo!

This was a little bit of a weird week, in which my weight was up by a couple of pounds early in the week, and then came back off again. I must've had something really salty or whatever. There was also a fast-day (short fast, basically skipping lunch), and I had a bottle of my newest home-brew beer (and thus broke my no alcohol during the week rule). Of course, that led to a bit of snacking.

With all of that said, I'm continuing to make progress. I'm thinking of taking off another 5 pounds or so to get to my personal target weight.

For the BMI argument, my BMI today is 23, and there's still a bit of excess belly in the middle (just a little).

My plan is to stick with my plan. There will be a couple of challenges this week as the Purim holiday starts Saturday night. That's the holiday where a person must drink until he cannot tell the difference between ‘Cursed be Haman’ and ‘Blessed be Mordechai.’ ” Plus hamentaschen! Yum.

Anyway, all systems go.

182/135/146
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Up 2.0 Snacking, plus Corned Beef and Cabbage, both Saturday and Sunday. Getting back, finally!!
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Down another 1.8 pounds. The plan works if you work the plan.

Steve - you say "Of course, that led to a bit of snacking." Of course? You could control that if you wanted to, right?
  • steve0mania
    Options
    Philtex wrote: »
    Steve - you say "Of course, that led to a bit of snacking." Of course? You could control that if you wanted to, right?

Absolutely. But...rather than "fighting" it while my inhibitions are blunted, I've been taking the approach of minimizing my exposure to that challenging situation by minimizing my weekday alcohol consumption.

As you said, the plan works when you work the plan.

• crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,772 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the ten pound mark, Steve. I know you’ve been wishin' and hopin' for that for a while, so I’m glad the new approach is working. And I’m fascinated by your description of Purim - is there a theological reason why that much alcohol is involved?

It was a fairly uneventful week here, which is generally a good thing in maintenance. I avoided the donuts and candy bars, followed my normal eating pattern (my “diet”, using the word as a noun), and lost exactly the amount of weight that I gained last week. Surprised? Well, no; that’s the way it’s supposed to work. Sitting in the Green Zone.

I’ve been thinking, though . . .

I eat most of my points at dinner or as snacks, and it’s entirely possible that some days my snacks are the largest block of points. I’ve always enjoyed the flexibility of knowing I can have a snack (or two, or three) in the evening and not put myself at risk. But I’ve been mulling over the perspective that says “don’t eat if you’re not hungry”. Well, I'm not snacking because I’m hungry; I’m snacking because I can. I’m not going off on binges of chips and peanut butter and Ben & Jerry's; I’m weighing out 20 grams of Pop Chips, or having 7 Snack Factory Pretzel Thins, or a half-ounce of aged Gouda, or a Healthy Choice Fudge Bar. I use those as an example because they’re each two points.

So I’m concluding that I’m eating not to satisfy hunger, but to satisfy my mind. In other words, I’m eating snacks to keep a sense of deprivation at bay. As Grace Slick might have said, what I’m doing I’m doing to “feed my head”, in a way.
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to the losers! Al, sounds like you're getting right back in there after the St. Patrick's indulgence. Good for you!

I had hip replacement surgery this afternoon and fogot to weigh this morning. All was good with my eating for the week except a few too many cookies one day. Not a deal breaker but a reminder that mindless eating is easy for me. All went well with surgery. I'm feeling good. I realize the scale might be wacky for a couple weeks from water retention. I plan to eat especially well the next few weeks to promote healing.
  • whathapnd
    Options
    I'm up 3 pounds.

I ate well during the week except for a day when I had 500 + calories in cookies. I'm hoping the 3 pounds is due to surgery.
  • crewahl
    Options
    whathapnd wrote: »
    I'm hoping the 3 pounds is due to surgery.

I’m guessing titanium is denser than bone . . . 😉

Enjoy the PT once they let you do that - it’s a difference-maker!
  • Brian_19
    Brian_19 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Up 1.6.

Best wishes for a smooth recovery, @whathapnd!
  • whathapnd
    Options
    I’m guessing titanium is denser than bone . . . 😉

HA! looked that up a few weeks ago. Turns out it's negligible. However, my right leg does now seem noticeably onger than my left one. Hopefully PT will help with that. If not, I'm planning to have the other one done in a few months, so it's possible that will fix it.

Adding height will completely change my BMI, right?!
  • steve0mania
    Options
    crewahl wrote: »
    And I’m fascinated by your description of Purim - is there a theological reason why that much alcohol is involved?

Purim commemorates when the Jews were saved from genocide in Persia in the time of the first exile. There was a decree put forth by Haman, who is a descendent of Amalek, the king/country that attacked the Jews from behind after they left Egypt during the Exodus. Queen Esther and Mordechai turned the tables and sent a decree that allowed the Jews to fight back and defeat those who wanted to attack them. There are obvious applications to the current situation.

The upshot is that we commemorate the joy we felt at that time. It's supposed to be a complete unbridled joy. Thus, one is supposed to drink enough alcohol to get to that state, but very specifically, not past that state. We are still supposed to act in an honorable and appropriate manner.

There are other ideas behind this, and there are some that say you satisfy the alcohol requirement if you drink enough to help you sleep (since you won't recognize Mordechai and Haman if you're asleep).
  • crewahl
    Options
    The upshot is that we commemorate the joy we felt at that time. It's supposed to be a complete unbridled joy.

Thanks, Steve - that makes sense (all of it). 👍🏻
  • Flintwinch
    Flintwinch Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Up 3. I chalk this up to getting the six-month Covid booster recommended by CDC for 65+. I felt pretty achy, and food and Tylenol provided good relief.