Article: What is the healthiest fish to eat?

Options

Replies

• Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    We eat Atlantic salmon. We have not eaten fish, shrimp or crawfish from the gulf region since the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in 2010. Not only did the oil pollute the water, but the chemicals they used to combat the spill were even worse. The gulf water will not be safe again in my lifetime, or for generations into the future.
  • Brian_19
    Brian_19 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    No spoilers ... but I was very surprised by the #1 pick (and I'm not the least bit tempted to give it a try!).

Thanks to the meal plan for the Mayo Clinic Diet, I've eaten a tilapia fillet for dinner four times in the past 10 or so days. I am very much not a routine fish eater - I would even say I'm somewhat fish-averse - so it's been a different experience. I enjoyed the taste and the convenience of the little shrink wrapped portions and thought I might be really on to something, and then I learned how some people view farm-raised tilapia from China as not the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Wondering: what is the least problematic fish? And do I have to catch it myself? :/

• misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,209 Member
    Options
    Brian_19 wrote: »
    No spoilers ... but I was very surprised by the #1 pick (and I'm not the least bit tempted to give it a try!).

I knew that sardines were very healthy. Luckily, I like it.

I don't eat a lot of meat of any sort. However, I will eat the kind of sardine that is stored in spring water every once in a while. I will also eat salmon on occasion.

I am not a fan of tilapia. It seems flavorless to me.

This article regarding sustainable fish sources may be of interest to you.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/sustainable-seafood-choices-1665724
  • Flintwinch
    Flintwinch Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I'm a fish fan, including tilapia. For me, a little bit of sardines goes a very long way.
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,819 Member
    Options
    Not surprised; my understanding was that the healthiest fish were the smallest fish - because toxins accumulate as little fish eat tiny fish, then medium fish eat the little fish, and so on up the food chain.

I eat a fair amount of haddock, and I’ll eat salmon as the protein on a salad. If the salmon is wild or line-caught, I’m more likely to choose it. I also like swordfish, but generally as a steak rather than a Sysco-based portion. I know it falls in the “big fish” category, but if I’m gonna dies from something, eating fish isn’t the worst choice.

Side note - I only eat fish when I’m out of the house. There was a period of about 18 months when my father was out of work, and it was also a time when fish was the cheapest protein on the market. We ate a LOT of fish. To this day, the smell of fish in the house is still the odor of scarcity, and I’m stuck with that association - no matter how expensive it is in a restaurant.
  • Brian_19
    Brian_19 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    misterhub wrote: »

I honestly wonder if that's not why it appeals to me! It really was the least "fishy" fish I've ever prepared at home.

• Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,938 Member
    edited April 26
    Options
    Brian_19 wrote: »
    misterhub wrote: »

I honestly wonder if that's not why it appeals to me! It really was the least "fishy" fish I've ever prepared at home.

Having tilapia tonight. Not sure which preparation I'll use, but probably TOL's fave, encrusted in panko and parm.