Living the Lifestyle: Wednesday, 05/22/2024

Options
misterhub
misterhub Posts: 6,310 Member
This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday – Wildcard
Wednesday-misterhub (Greg)
Thursday -imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday - Wildcard

Today's Topic: Listening to Your Body

How capable are you of listening to your body? Not just for satiety, though that is very important. How about know how the foods you eat affect your body/health? How about how the exercises/activities...or lack thereof...affect your body/health? How about how food and activity affect your emotional and mental health?

Do you listen to your body?

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    My body seems to have 2 things to say most of the time. Ouch or eat. Sometimes ouch and eat. I’ve learned to listen closely to ouch. Some pains are just passing through, some not. Some are just annoyances, some not. I seem to spend a significant amount of time at PT. I understand Pickeball is a big money maker for them.

Trying to tune out eat between meals. DW thinks my hearing is going but I never have a problem hearing the dinner bell.
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 4,000 Member
    Options
    I have little confidence in the messages I get from my body. It generally wants me to do something I don’t want to do. 🤷🏻‍♂️
    1. I’m reasonably good at recognizing the border between discomfort and pain/injury.
    2. I'm more capable of recognizing when I’ve already had too much food than I am of recognizing when I’m approaching go or crossing that border.
    3. I recognize cognitively that eating something sweet means I’ll want more or different sweets in the near future.
    4. I’ve reluctantly accepted that a body at rest will, in fact, remain at rest - and left undisturbed, will become incapable of moving from rest. (So I still do PT.)
    5. I'm reasonably good at differentiating between hunger and craving, and usually capable of fitting my response to the situation.

I guess I’d say I’m not good at listening to my body, but I’m capable of learning from a body of evidence what works or doesn’t work for me. I just don’t always choose to act in accordance with that knowledge.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,031 Member
    Options
    I listen pretty intently to my body. Do I describe react to every sound or feeling? Nope but I do listen. I think I feel more than I listen and react to that. When you have as much going on as I do it's almost a must to pay attention.

I'd like to walk more but like today I just didn't get much in. The other day I got 8000 steps which is a lot more then I normally get.

I generally have some type of pain or ache going on all the time. I just don't dwell on it.

My food consumption and types of food is my main obstacle. A work in progress every day.

• Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,145 Member
    Options
    I listen to my body all the time. It's like a little kid, bothering me all the time. A have constant pain (thank you Tramadol) and have to work around and through it all the time.
    I enjoy walking my 250+ steps every hour from 9:00AM to 9:00 PM., however, since I had a fall Saturday evening, at church, my hip and leg aren't too happy. Grab the BioFreeze, and move on with life!
  • crewahl
    Options

Al_Howard wrote: »
    Grab the BioFreeze, and move on with life!

Great response, Al. I think it’s the - senior? elder? - version of “suck it up, Buttercup”. 😉
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,310 Member
    Options
    Al_Howard wrote: »
    ...however, since I had a fall Saturday evening, at church, my hip and leg aren't too happy. Grab the BioFreeze, and move on with life!

I hope they heal fast!
  • Flintwinch
    Flintwinch Posts: 864 Member
    edited May 24
    Options
    I pay attention to my body, and my ability to listen to my body is best first thing in the morning and wanes as the day wears on. I can follow my eating plan well until after supper. Then losing attention to my body can cause problems in the evening into the night. One thing I've found is that if I eat more at each meal, rather than saving calories for the evening, I can control hunger and cravings more successfully. ( At least I'm not doing a swan dive off the 3-meter board into the ice cream.) Honestly, if I could control late-in-the-day eating I'd be at goal weight and be able to maintain it. The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry.

The pause button also helps me pay attention to my body. I have been more able to pause, and pause for longer, before making a decision about eating, which lends more rationality to the decision.
  • crewahl
    Options
    Flintwinch wrote: »
    I have been more able to pause, and pause for longer, before making a decision about eating, which lends more rationality to the decision.

the ability to inject that “please hold for rationality” into the conversation is a key, I think. And yeah, I rarely binge at breakfast . . .