Shape Shifters Team Chat - JUNE 2024

Options

Replies

• izzyred9400
    izzyred9400 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Kalimera (Good morning in greek)
    I'm enjoying the last few days of our trip.We came to the stunning island of Santorini after alot of waiting around as our ferry was cancelled & the next one delayed.
    My steps
    6/20 13,523
    6/21 8,648
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    Steps
    6/18 4,877
    6/19 2,907
    6/20 3,258
    6/21 3,900
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,356 Member
    edited June 22
    Options
    @Pupowl - Here are some quick* responses to your questions:

What keeps you going? I remember how much better I felt at my goal weight, and remind myself that my body prefers (and deserves) food that is healthy and nourishing. Sometimes, I eat unhealthy foods or portions because it seems like too much trouble to make stay on track in the short term but I’m recognizing that I rarely feel better in the long term after poor choices. So, I try to remind myself to ‘keep going’ (make healthy choices) for the greater, but delayed satisfaction of the long term goal.

Why do you eat healthy/in a deficit? When I realized that eating healthy is not a temporary ‘diet,’ and eating the right number of calories for my body and activity level just is my daily diet, it changes the way I approach the idea of a ‘deficit.’ I need to change my habits for life if I’m going to stay as healthy as possible for as long as possible. So, my emphasis is on learning to eat healthy (natural food, in the right amount, with a nutritional balance that gives me energy and satisfaction) for the body I want to have. So, my current deficit is only about 300 calories, and maintaining my goal weight will probably require me to eliminate about 200 of those ‘calories in (CI)’ from my diet on the nutrition side or burn the calories out’ by using more energy daily. Because of this approach, I don’t lose or gain weight quickly, but I hope I’m developing the habits needed to sustain the optimal CI-CO equation for my body.

How do you stop yourself from buying and eating all the wrong things? This is the biggest challenge for me because I’m influenced by my family, friends, and social events. I’m also tricked by advertising that tells me that my life will be so much easier and more satisfying if I eat the processed food they offer. I try to make a grocery list ahead of time and shop mainly around the outside perimeter because the aisles in the middle contain more processed foods. It’s not perfect but it helps. I also try to substitute healthier foods when I see a pattern that adds up calories. For example, I don’t keep ice cream in the house. If I want ice cream, I try to walk to the nearby Main Street, buy a small size to share at a celebration, or eat fruit with a dollop of yogurt instead.

My husband likes to eat restaurant or take out food, which often has more calories and bigger portions than my 5’3 (160 cm) needs. So, I try to order less (e.g., appetizer instead of entree), or separate take out food into multiple portions to eat over a two or three day period. At a work event this week, I ate two small donuts that I never would have eaten at home. They didn’t taste as satisfying as I imagined they would. So, I wish I had just discarded them after one bite each. ‘Wasting’ is hard for me but I need to realize the affect is worse when I ‘use’ it — in the end, eating the unhealthy food is not productive.

How do you get back on track after an oopsie? I can sometimes spiral in a negative way after getting off track. Mostly, I try to learn what went wrong and make a plan to avoid that pitfall the next time, etc. With the donut example above, I think it could have been worse if I hadn’t planned ahead. I was busy before the meeting and didn’t stop to eat lunch before the 2pm start time. I heard there was going to be some food there and realized the choices might not be too healthy at that time of day (2-4pm) so I grabbed a banana on my way out the door. I also didn’t have enough time to walk to the Metro (Tube, Subway) but I compromised by parking close to the station so I could still get extra steps without driving door-to-door from home to the meeting. Next time, my plan is to taste one bite before taking two donuts 😉 if I can’t resist the temptation entirely (see response #1 above got the better option) 😊

I appreciate the questions; they helped me reflect and plan! I’ll look forward to hearing about the experiences of other Shape Shifters.

*Quick responses mean less thought and editing so I apologize for the long post!
  • bearchested
    bearchested Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Bearchested
    Friday
    PW: 191.4
    CW: 190.6
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Angmarie28
    Fridays
    Prev weight-182
    Current weight-181.6
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    6/16-10,342
    6/17-8,948
    6/18-9,969
    6/19-9,878
    6/20-3,437
    6/21-3,147
  • CasandraW
    CasandraW Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    CasandraW
    Saturday weigh in
    PW 229.2
    CW 232.6
  • CasandraW
    CasandraW Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I have to get back on track. To do that I need to eat a low carb/sugar diet. It doesn’t need to be keto level of low carb but less than 100 grams of net carbs.
    I know this works, I just don’t like that I have to do it to be healthy.

I’m fighting my internal toddler/child.
  • Tomsgal1985
    Tomsgal1985 Posts: 974 Member
    edited June 22
    Options
    Tomsgal1985
    Weekly Post
    Weigh In Day: Saturday
    Highest weight: 239.8
    PW (Previous Weight): 229.0
    CW (Current Weight): 227.0
    I’m so thankful for this active group, and I enjoy reading your posts! But I feel like I’m a drain on the team since I’m not posting much and haven’t been meeting my goals and should move on for now. I do have accountability and stay in touch with least 2 online friends, so I am not giving up!! Thank you for your kind support, everyone! 🥰🤗🙏🏻☀️👋🏻
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,246 Member
    Options
    Tomsgal1985
    Weekly Post
    I’m so thankful for this active group, and I enjoy reading your posts! But I feel like I’m a drain on the team since I’m not posting much and haven’t been meeting my goals and should move on for now. I do have accountability and stay in touch with least 2 online friends, so I am not giving up!! Thank you for your kind support, everyone! 🥰🤗🙏🏻☀️👋🏻

@Tomsgal1985 Never let yourself feel like that...we are all at different stages in the journey and doing different things from day to day, so things for all of us are NEVER going to line up. That's kinda what makes the team thrive though...what you went through a month ago and then share, might help someone else with what they're experiencing today! GREAT loss this week!!

What do you do for activity? Are you a walker like me, or do you take fitness classes like Frank or a few others? Does the weather affect your exercise routine? We're headed into a heat index of over 100 today, so I'm keeping the house blinds/curtains closed, running all the fans and keeping the HVAC steady at 76 for daytime. I'll be walking inside the house...likely to some C-Jazz...just love it. Not doing laundry today, except for delicates which have to hang dry anyway. Not much cooking, but maybe something in my air fryer. Bought some low-fat cottage cheese and with a little sprinkle of seasoned salt, it's just lovely with a turkey sandwich!

I'm so proud of how you're doing...we're here when you need us! Enjoy your weekend!
    Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    Options
    CasandraW wrote: »
    I have to get back on track. To do that I need to eat a low carb/sugar diet. It doesn’t need to be keto level of low carb but less than 100 grams of net carbs.
    I know this works, I just don’t like that I have to do it to be healthy.

I’m fighting my internal toddler/child.

@casandraw Sounds like you've formulated your plan, based on what you know works for you! That's the hardest part...now the rest is just following your plan!! Can't wait to hear how your week goes!!

I fight that internal toddler DAILY!!!! CAN'T LET THEM WIN!!! LOL!! B)

Enjoy your weekend gal!
    Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    Options
    @LaurieWrobo and @angmarie28 Just checking in on you ladies...how are you doing? How's the temperature where you are? Do you find it's affecting your walking? I went one day this week and walked the aisles at Kroger to stay out of the heat...picked up what I needed at the same time, but as usual, forgot a loaf of bread :o never fails...I always forget one thing...EVEN if I make a list...UGH! Got lots of steps in though, so that was nice, but I also forget to swing my arm, which isn't easy to do while pushing a cart. Still, it was a nice change of pace.

Just wanted to check on you both...hope you're doing well. Stay cool and let us know what's up?! Enjoy your weekend!
    Jessica
  • Tomsgal1985
    Tomsgal1985 Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Tomsgal1985
    Weekly Post

@Tomsgal1985 Never let yourself feel like that...we are all at different stages in the journey and doing different things from day to day, so things for all of us are NEVER going to line up. That's kinda what makes the team thrive though...what you went through a month ago and then share, might help someone else with what they're experiencing today! GREAT loss this week!!

What do you do for activity? Are you a walker like me, or do you take fitness classes like Frank or a few others? Does the weather affect your exercise routine? We're headed into a heat index of over 100 today, so I'm keeping the house blinds/curtains closed, running all the fans and keeping the HVAC steady at 76 for daytime. I'll be walking inside the house...likely to some C-Jazz...just love it. Not doing laundry today, except for delicates which have to hang dry anyway. Not much cooking, but maybe something in my air fryer. Bought some low-fat cottage cheese and with a little sprinkle of seasoned salt, it's just lovely with a turkey sandwich!

I'm so proud of how you're doing...we're here when you need us! Enjoy your weekend!
    Jessica
    Thank you, Jessica! I’m a walker, but I don’t do it often enough. I am looking into joining a gym that has a pool. I will stick around if you think I should! I just feel bad that I am mostly a lurker. I love how you just described your day! Maybe I can do more of that type of post. Thank you for your kind reply!
  • DaffyGirl88
    DaffyGirl88 Posts: 4,706 Member
    Options
    Friday steps
  • DaffyGirl88
    DaffyGirl88 Posts: 4,706 Member
    Options
    Tomsgal1985
    Weekly Post

Jessica
    Thank you, Jessica! I’m a walker, but I don’t do it often enough. I am looking into joining a gym that has a pool. I will stick around if you think I should! I just feel bad that I am mostly a lurker. I love how you just described your day! Maybe I can do more of that type of post. Thank you for your kind reply!

@Tomsgal1985 Definitely stick around!
  • ganival
    ganival Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Pupowl wrote: »
    Hello Shape Shifters. Yesterday was a very good day. I got my steps done as usual, did my gym rings workout, leg raises, the dishes and I cooked! The only thing I didn't do is a naturewalk. I was having a mild migraine and felt dizzy and sick most of the day, so taking that into consideration, I think I got a lot done. I got a little package with some awesome smelling soap bars. I picked mango, ginger orange and pinecone. I got two bars from this brand years ago as a gift from my mom. For some reason I never bought them for myself since then so it was about time. I really hate showers, lol, but love being clean and smelling nice so these bars make me happy.
    This morning I did manage to get a walk in. I had a really long sleep, so I felt pretty good. I had to go to the store which remains a really tricky thing. I bought a few things I didn't intend so my food wasn't perfect.
    I wonder about everyone here. What keeps you going? Why do you eat healthy/in a deficit? How do you stop yourself from buying and eating all the wrong things? How do you get back on track after an oopsie? I would love to hear about your experiences. I feel like having a big 'why' is pretty important and I am not sure I have one. Several small once, sure, but those don't seem to help me get back on track. Part of this is also depression I am guessing. It makes it really hard to care about anything. All days feel the same, going through the motions like a robot. It is not nice. I just do things because I tell myself I like them or because they are good for me, but I don't actually feel it that way; I am pretty numb. Fake it until you make it I guess.
    Anyway, I almost forgot to post today. Sorry the card is a little late. Heading to bed here now! Have a lovely day <3

Hi pupowl, i think what keeps people going is so individual but i'll share mine right now if that's something interesting for you. first, i work a public facing job where I get my picture taken alot and posted to social media or other places. plus i have to get on stages and talk in front of people at times. not an easy situation to be in when you're an introvert at your highest weight ever. second, i just got a new boss and we had friction from the start. never has someone shattered my confidence like she has and frankly i'm angry...at myself, for letting someone get under my skin. i will meet her in person for the first time later this fall and i want to feel confident in my own skin. so right now i'm motivated by vanity and anger... are these real virtuous reasons...shrug, they are my personal reasons. i'm aware it's not mentally healthy to be in a long term state of self loathing and anger so i expect these feelings to fade, but for now they are jump starting me and i'm all for it.

sounds like you're taking a break from public weigh-ins, i did that for several months as well but found i needed to be completely off MFP for the reset. wishing you the best and sending virtual hugs.
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    @CasandraW Thank you for your reply! Asking the easy questions hey, lol. I think sense of purpose is a hard one for a lot of people and you are right; I don't have one. For me the problem is my chronic fatigue. It makes it nearly impossible to do any sort of volunteer work or even a fun thing just for me at a set day/time. I have no idea when I will have bad days. Even on good days, planned activities like that will pretty much make me useless for two days afterwards. That also sucks a lot of the fun out if and it is why I didn't manage to keep up with the popchoir, even though I enjoyed it a lot. I have pretty much accepted that I can't do things like that and I prioritize going for walks instead. If I am only able to do one (big) thing a day, the naturewalk has the most benefits in my opinion. But you have made me think about it some more. Maybe there is something I can find that is mostly online.
    @PatriceFitnessPal Awesome, quick reply! I can imagine it really helps that you have something to compare to like being at goal. While I have lost a decent chunk of weight, I think the last bit is the most impactful and I haven't felt majorly different yet. For me I think the impact mentally is way bigger than physically. I agree that considering it a lifestyle change is super important. I try very hard to include foods in my day that I can see myself eating long term. I refuse to do a low calorie diet that I hate because that is not sustainable at all. I feel like that also doesn't teach you anything because even if you do make it to your goal weight, you can never go back to how you ate before. Having friends and family around can be both a blessing and a curse I guess. If they are likeminded, I bet it can help a lot. I am on my own which also has ups and down. Nobody around to knock some sense into me when I dive into a bag of chips! Planning is really important for me as well. I used to get really upset if I went to the store and something I needed was out of stock. Now I try to always have a back up plan in mind. Thanks for your anwers!
    @ganival You are very right that it is an individual thing, but it is still fun to read what makes everyone here tick. External pressure is difficult, yet I totally understand how it is also helpful. Unfortunately I don't have anything like that. I am impressed you can do a job like that as an introvert; it sounds like hell to me! What a bummer about the boss, I would be angry too. I don't think there is anything wrong with letting those negative emotions fuel you, as long as you also praise yourself for the positive changes you are making! I am sure over time those will become stronger than the anger and you will hopefully be able to let it go and just do it because you are worth it and you deserve to be healthy and happy.
    Again, appreciate the replies everyone! I feel a little more optimistic today which I will credit to you all. <3
  • Pupowl
    Options
    Hello Shape Shifters. I had a long walk with my camera this morning. The weather was a bit weird. It was supposed to be sunny, but instead there was a very hazy sky with almost no sun. The temperature was good though. I basically didn't see any birds at all which was a bummer. I have noticed that a lot of the time when I am feeling a little down because I didn't get any nice pictures, there will be a treat when I am almost done with my walk. It happened again this morning and I spotted a beautiful roedeer. I almost missed her and kept on walking because she wasn't in an area I was expecting any deer. A small clearing with a pretty busy bike path going through at 9:30 on a Saturday morning? Very unlikely! Thankfully I saw her on time, stopped and got some nice pictures. She was pretty relaxed about it and eventually headed into the forest.
    I was excited about getting a package for Tinus, but I only got one half of the order and will have to wait for the most important second half until Tuesday probably. That was a bit of a shame. The rest of the day wasn't very interesting. I am charging my fitbit now and will go to bed soon. Have a great day everyone <3
    dwfz6uzfx4l4.jpg
    idccx5t20n5e.jpg
    h6rrpgoq0yxx.jpg
    bpya0rivzzvr.jpg
    16s3rczpcbn5.jpg
  • Pupowl
    Options
    The daily card:
    The connections and pathways in our brains change over the course of our lives based on how we think, what we do, and where we are (scientists call this neuroplasticity). In other words, our minds and our brains are constantly being trained. When you cultivate awareness, you can make a choice to have more control over what qualities you develop in yourself. Knowing this, what do you want to train your mind in right now?

nw9t5jmn3a2n.jpg