🧮 Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #1: INFORMATION and YOUR INPUT! 🧮

hicim705
hicim705 Posts: 5,739 Member
edited September 24 in Social Groups
t2hw1uq7mswl.png

On behalf of the overall leadership team (Lynn @kaliswalker ~ Ceri @Ceriusly1 ~ Heidi @hicim705 ~ Barb @ladyluk1, and Diane @Dianedoessmiles1, as well as the leaders of our eight individual challenge teams (Fit Force ~ Mission Slimpossible ~ Positively Strong 4 Life ~ Rain Dancers ~ Red Hots ~ Shape Shifters ~ Tenacious GR8TERS ~ Thinner Winners) …
👋🍂🌰🍁🎃🦃 WELCOME to the 2024 Autumn/Fall 5% Challenge!! 🦃🎃🍁🌰🍂👋

The 2024 Autumn/Fall 5% Challenge marks our 13th season on the MyFitnessPal
platform and also marks the beginning of our 4th year here!!

👋WELCOME👋 to our 🆕newest🆕 5% Challengers as well as our returning 👫friends👫!
This is our LAST Seasonal Challenge of 2024 and we hope that you take some time to read about and take part in the pre-Challenge activities as they are designed to help you get prepared for success. The autumn/fall marks the end of our relaxed summer schedules and the end of vacation time for many of us and begins the ‘return’ to our regular schedules.

The autumn/fall season marks the end of those ‘Lazy, Hazy, Crazy Days of Summer’ and the beginning of ‘Pumpkin Spice and Everything Nice’ season for most of us. The beginning of a year, month, week and/or season is the perfect time to make some new resolutions (either 📢loud and proud📢 or 🔕🔇silently, as a promise to yourself🔇🔕). Whatever you choose to do ~ please remember, you are doing this for YOU; your health and your well-being to become the best **you** that you can be!! Jump in and join us to be the ‘BEST YOU’ that you can be and make that wonderful commitment to YOU!

For the several hundred of us that join the Seasonal 5% Challenges from one season to the next, we come here because we are looking to cultivate our friendships, seek support, and we look for structure and continuity. Most of our 5% Challengers followed us from SparkPeople after they closed their site in the summer of 2021. Our sense of community and support has helped us to welcome new friends and Challengers from the MFP site who are now regulars to our seasonal Exercise/Healthy Lifestyle Challenges.
No matter how you found us, we are so happy that you did!!

In doing some research to write these activities, an older article was found on the internet that discussed Team Challenges and our own 5% Seasonal Challenge was highlighted. Lynn, @kaliswalker (one of the original founders of the 5% Challenge) was interviewed ~ here is the link to the article. It discusses the importance of teams, and the 5% Challenge model was in the spotlight in this article that was written in 2016: https://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.asp?post=memberrun_challenges_can_help_you_find_success
(As of this writing in September, 2024, this article still shows up and it is worth the read).

The story continued (and continues) to grow: When SparkPeople closed, we, the current Overall Leadership Team, realized that without SparkPeople and its team spirit, we (and hundreds of our 5% Challenge friends) would be lost and struggling. We sprang into action and searched for an alternate site where we could continue our journey; and continue to write our story. Although many sites were considered, MyFitnessPal was ultimately chosen as our 'new home' with the start of the 2021 Fall 5% Challenge. Bringing the 5% Challenge to MFP was a true labor of love, and, with full disclosure, was not smooth sailing as we had hoped, but the Overall Challenge Leader Team put their heads down and worked hard to continue and MAKE IT WORK! At this point, our Challenges are enjoyable and are doing what they were intended to do ~ to provide a space where you can practice healthy habits and where you can chat with other, like-minded MFP members and where you are encouraged to meet a new friend or two! We continue to have faithful 5% Challenge ‘followers’ from SparkPeople, and are fortunate to have been able to spread our message to MPF and it’s members and welcome them into our 5% Challenge Community.

🗬🤔 Now that you have been provided with a bit of a background of the 5% Challenge, please think about what YOU need and how YOU are going to be approaching the 2024 Fall 5% Challenge. Will you continue to practice healthy habits that you have already learned and are working for you? Are you looking to begin something entirely new? Are you still trying to identify where you are right now and what you would like to get out of the next 8 weeks? There are no right or wrong answers here as everyone’s healthy lifestyle goals/journey are unique - like we all are. 🤔🗭

w83x96taq3hz.png
📓Your assignment:
Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #1: INFORMATION and YOUR INPUT!📓

😊Your FIRST Countdown Activity for this Challenge will be for YOU to decide where YOU would like to go on YOUR Seasonal 5% Journey (as an added bonus, how YOU would like to begin to write YOUR HEALTHY LIFESTYLE JOURNEY STORY). Everyone's reason for joining this Challenge is different. We would like you to dig down deep to share what your motivation is for coming here. We would like you to share what brings you here, and even more importantly - what keeps you coming back! Perhaps there are things that you would like to get out of your personal 5% journey that we haven't discussed and/or researched. Why don't you write down some of YOUR ideas ~ we might even be able to incorporate some of those things in this or future Challenges!😊

✍️Feel free to add your comments to this thread outlining your exercise plan for a successful 2024 Fall 5% Challenge (if you blog, please consider writing about this topic. You may add the link to your blog here or you may simply wish to copy/paste your writing here - or do both!), but please consider sharing!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PLEASE NOTE: The Seasonal 5% Challenge Teams are very active. You will be expected to participate to the best of your ability.

ALL challenge weeks run from Saturday through Friday - you will be expected to record your exercise and ‘Living the Good Life’ points based on weekly Challenge themes. You are expected to record these points daily or at least as often as you can during the week but no later than 11:59 pm each Saturday (your local time). In addition, you are expected to weigh in one time per week by 11:59 pm every Saturday (your local time). Your individual team leaders and/or team mates will help to answer any and all questions about where to record your points.

🔮Our 2024 Fall 5% Challenge Teams are currently being set up.

✉️You will be invited to your individual team soon, in enough time to get to know your team leaders and team mates. Until then, get to know some of the Challengers in the 5% Challenge Community that will be participating right along with you.

📢Announcements will be made when invitations to your individual teams are sent. Please visit this team, the 2024 AUTUMN/FALL 5% COMMUNITY TEAM often as this will be the best source for up-to-date information.

Heidi (hicim705)
Overall Co-Leader, Seasonal 5% Challenges (hosted on MFP)

Replies

• nansbones7708
    nansbones7708 Posts: 432 Member
    Activity #1: INFORMATION and YOUR INPUT! 🧮

I’m a returning, lapsed member who came across from the spark challenges when it closed.
    From now on I’m going to try to turn my path around to positivity, perseverance and pounds loss from despair and negativity.
    I’m
    Nan from Scotland
    Retired
    Single
    Overweight
    Haven’t exercised seriously this year
    Been totally disorganised.

I’ve been looking at ways I can turn this around and so far I’ve decided to
    Stop stressing about
    My weight, my exercise and my eating but instead to
    Make a heroic goal for the week, the month, the challenge and the future.
    Future goal to reach my healthy weight
    Challenge goal lose 4lbs
    Month goal still be monitoring my plans
    Week goal plan sensibly and stick to it 5/7 days at least
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,417 Member
    ACTVITY #1 Information and your input.

I am new to the challenge.
    My name is Sue. From Alden NY which is considered the snow belt of Buffalo
    I am married and overweight.
    I need to log all my food. I am a stress eater. Yes! Hello my name is Sue and when I am stressed I turn to sugary foods. Once I start I can't stop. How can small cookies pack so many calories.

I work in a bank and it seems there is junk food everywhere. Multiple candy bowls and donuts and pastries brought in weekly. It is a sedentary job.

My goals are to walk on my lunch and I would love to loose 8 lbs.

I am a caretaker for my parents my free time is limited and I need to make the best of my time.

The doctor put my husband on Ozempic.😡 I refuse to be the fat spouse while he sits back and has me give him the weekly shot.

Exercise 5/7 days a week, and log everything.
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 13,422 Member
    Your FIRST Countdown Activity for this Challenge will be for YOU to decide where YOU would like to go on YOUR Seasonal 5% Journey (as an added bonus, how YOU would like to begin to write YOUR HEALTHY LIFESTYLE JOURNEY STORY). Everyone's reason for joining this Challenge is different. We would like you to dig down deep to share what your motivation is for coming here. We would like you to share what brings you here, and even more importantly - what keeps you coming back! Perhaps there are things that you would like to get out of your personal 5% journey that we haven't discussed and/or researched. Why don't you write down some of YOUR ideas ~ we might even be able to incorporate some of those things in this or future Challenges!😊

✍️Feel free to add your comments to this thread outlining your exercise plan for a successful 2024 Fall 5% Challenge (if you blog, please consider writing about this topic. You may add the link to your blog here or you may simply wish to copy/paste your writing here - or do both!), but please consider sharing!!

My reasons for joining and staying with the 5% Challenges: I've lost 110 lbs with another 20 to 30 more to go! I'm very slow at losing, but I still lose. The 5% Challenge help to support me and yet also still challenge me. I need the support and LOVE Giving support back!!!

I would like to get OUT OF my comfort zone with exercise. To be more active with a different activity other than walking. I am not sure if my heart can take it, thinking yoga (A past favorite!) or if I have to chair exercises but this time with enjoyable music. I LOVE to sing (LOLOLOL My POOR NEIGHBORS!!) to combine them both is great!! That'll work!! I also need to eat better and keep in mind "NOT every meal needs to be a favorite!! EAT TO LIVE NOT LIVE TO EAT!

By: Heathy exchanges ,, small exchanges make a big difference. Instead of buying fancy hot chocolate I am going to make my own hot chocolate and to flavor them without a ton of calories I am still exploring, but I know I am close to finding what it is I desire!! I am a huge fan of HC!!! Going back to smaller "meals" AKA sometimes a healthy snack instead of 3 meals that are all around 400 cals. Breaking them up keeps me fuller longer and cuts WAY back the hunger. I just lose better this way. Drink more water, I am usually good at this, but need to prioritize it again. To help myself with exercising more I've joined the Positively Strong 4 Life team step challenge. We compete not against others on our steps, but against ourselves. I started at 2100 a day and am now going for 4500 a day. My feet are not normal. I've had 25 surgeries on them and broken them 5 or 6 times, but I love walking. NEVER QUIT! NEVER Say "I CAN'T" but How much can I do?

rgirkvcb8dca.png
    My Exercise commitment is 60 to 90 mins of exercise at least 5 days a week. New members I started out at 10 mins 3 times a week. At that time laying in bed moving one leg at a time was hard! We DO NOT want you to ever have any injuries. Any movement is movement and to be celebrated. Go by what you can do. We are thrilled to have you with us!

• Grannysue91
    Grannysue91 Posts: 5,493 Member
    I have been with several ladies on a team when we started on SP. I am very focused on doing my best for myself and for this team. There is always someone to help you with anything that happens and they are quick to check on you if you haven't posted anything for a couple of days or if there is bad weather where you live. This team has been a great support system for me. When things get a bit too much to handle, you can talk to other ladies on this team and they will gladly help you if possible. I have been doing the 5% Challenges since 2011. No other team could ever beat this team for the care and concern they have.

Looking forward to another challenge and meeting any new members we have. NEVER give up. Try to keep moving forward and only do what you can. Join us for some fun and learning how to get your best results.
  • iamnotapenguin
    iamnotapenguin Posts: 3 Member
    edited September 24
    Hey all! I'm Tali from Israel. I've never done a challenge before, I'm interested to see how it works!

I gave birth to my 6th kid three months ago and am heavier than I ever was. I'm ready to change that!

***My goals for this challenge:***
    1. get to understand how the challenge works
    2. follow the challenge rules
    3. stay in control of my eating (not gonna be easy, this challenge overlaps with 11 days of Jewish holidays, which usually means non-stop eating... help)
    4. go on my treadmill for at least 20 min, at least 3x/week
    5. do exercises to heal diastasis recti at least 3x/week
  • cinebibliophile
    cinebibliophile Posts: 21 Member
    Where YOU would like to go on YOUR Seasonal 5% Journey?

I want to come out on the other side having achieved the goal of 5% weight loss, but also, I want to have become more consistent with my workouts.

My life and body have changed over the past few years in ways I wasn’t expecting. 10 years ago, I was completing 1/2 marathons - granted I was at the back of the pack, but I finished them. Over the past few years, my legs and feet have decided that’s not for them anymore 😉. I stand up and I wobble, hunched over for a few steps till I can stand up straight. My feet, ankles, and hips feel like they’re going to snap. I get winded walking my dog for 15 minutes.

Some say it’s due to pre-menopause, some say it’s because I work a sedentary job, some say it’s depression.

But no matter the cause, I need to reverse the trend now and be a healthier person. I am a single mother of an only child, who is petrified of being left alone in the world if something were to happen to me. That’s a powerful push. But for me, I’m sick and tired of being overweight. Sick and tired of being exhausted, of clothes not fitting correctly, of being ashamed of myself and avoiding photos and events & life because I’m fat.

The kiddo graduates with their Masters degree in May. I really want to be able to stand next to them & not be self conscious about my weight or clothes or appearance. I want to have a genuine smile on my face & not look like I am looking for the nearest exit.

I want to start living my life - not just existing. Because that’s how I feel. I work, I care for the pets & the house, I watch tv, I sleep. I don’t have a life - and I want to rejoin the world.

Part of the reason I’m here is because I need a support system & accountability. I admit I can’t do this on my own, and I don’t have much support in my world. I am hoping that with this challenge and the team support, I can work toward my goals & won’t give up when things get difficult. 💜
  • Ronnie_happy2ranch
    Ronnie_happy2ranch Posts: 489 Member
    I am so looking forward to the Fall Challenge; this will be my 3rd challenge (aside from IBCs). I've lost (and gained and lost again) over 10lbs this year so far according to my doctor's office. This is a great relief for me that the challenges are working - it's lowered my blood pressure and, hopefully, my cholesterol. Will be going soon to see if its helped my A1C as well. I've had setbacks due to allergy-induced asthma, but I get back up and keep going when I can. I've found other resources that are helpful as well so I can workout while at my desk working and learning to make healthier food choices. Every little bit helps. My goal is to lose maybe another 10 lbs by springtime by continuing to eat healthier and exercise more.
  • nansbones7708
    nansbones7708 Posts: 432 Member
    A
  • SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 1,144 Member
    I'm looking forward to this next challenge. I had a lot going on during the last challenge and wasn't able to exercise or cook as much as I would have liked. But, by Oct 16th, things should be settled down and I can get my routines back into place.
    Thank you so much to all of the team leaders that always work so hard to make these challenges fun and exciting for all of us!! <3
  • deskjockey925
    deskjockey925 Posts: 5,700 Member
    My name is Diane and I am excited to be returning for Fall!

My goals for this challenge are
    1. ST and Cardio 6 of 7 days a week
    2. Tracking nutrition daily
    3. Measurements and photos at start and finish
  • aalley5
    aalley5 Posts: 2,957 Member
    Hello! I'm Alley,
    For me, I need to start with WHY: I don't want to gain any more weight! Simple! Not! I need like minded people to interact with, learn strategies, and be mindful of my health.

I've been on my journey since about 2010. I joined WW and lost 50lbs, then gained it all back. Then I joined Jenny Craig and lost 75 lbs. and have kept it off, mostly. I joined Spark People in 2012 when I hit my goal in fear of gaining back what I lost. Someone from the Jenny Craig community mentioned SP and I took her suggestion to join. I've been on maintenance, and I keep joining the challenges because I know how fast slipping up can cause me to gain. My last trip I took proved what I already knew!
    This week my goals are:
    Something I need to work on: Cutting out junk food
    Exercise Goal = 45 Min daily
    Step Goal = 10,000 (I may need to adjust)
    My blog
  • softwind
    softwind Posts: 548 Member
    Hi I'm Jennifer.. I'm in Georgia (US) and hoping to get back on track. I've fallen off the rails the last couple months and need to get back to it.
    goals - tracking, getting more exercise
  • diamonds1202
    diamonds1202 Posts: 33 Member
    ACTVITY #1 Information and your input.

I'm Elizabeth. I have a 3 year old and ever since I got pregnant I am struggling with my weight.

About 14 years ago now I lost a significant amount of weight. In the last 5 years it is back with a vengeance and I cannot kick it. I don't know if it's a lack of dedication to weight loss due to being busy with everything else (work, family, etc.) or if it's hormonal - or both. But I've been fluctuating between 5 pounds for the last 2 months despite watching what I'm eating.

I want to try to use this challenge to really dedicate to weight loss. And not because I think I'll be the perfect weight by the time it's over, but to see if getting my head into the right spot will do it or if I need to speak to my doctor.
  • Dpecora653
    Dpecora653 Posts: 4,440 Member
    ACTIVITY #1 Information and your input.

I'M DEBBIE FROM SOUTH CAROLINA.
    I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO ANOTHER CHALLENGE-WHILE THE CHALLENGES ARE MORE ABOUT MAINTAINING MY WEIGHT, NOW GOING ON YEAR 10 OR 11 I FIND THE CHALLENGES A GOOD PLACE FOR IDEAS AND MOTIVATION.

I AM AN EXERCISE JUNKIE SO MY MINIMUM EVERY DAT IS 120 MINUTES. I HAVE BEEN LOGGING MY FOOD EVER SINCE I STARTED MY WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY BACK IN MY 50'S. THAT IS THE NUMBER ONE THING TO BE CONSISTENT ON. YOU REALLY DON'T REALIZE HOW CALORIES ADD UP IF YOU DON'T LOG EVERYTHING YOU PUT INTO YOUR MOUTH.

AS I HAVE AGED, I DEVELOPED HYPOTHYROIDISM ALONG WITH MY LONG STANDING HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE. I DEDICATED THE LAST YEAR ON FINALLY GETTING MY BLOOD PRESSURE DOWN-I FINALLY FOUND SUCCESS AND MY LOGS PROVED THAT MY AVERAGE BP WAS 165 VS NOW AT 120. I WENT AGAINST THE DOCTOR'S SUGGESTIONS AND STOPPED 2 MEDICATIONS AND LEVELED THE TIMES I TAKE THE OTHER 3 AND IT SEEMS TO HAVE WORKED. THIS DECEMBER WHEN I SEE MY CARDIOLOGIST, IT WILL BE 1 YEAR OF MORE NORMAL THAN ABNORMAL READINGS.

MY GOAL MOVING FORWARD IS TO MAINTAIN MY WEIGHT AT 105 AND KEEP MY THYROID FUNCTIONING AT AN ACCEPTABLE LEVEL WITH A MINIMUM DOSE OF MEDICATION.

DIANE ALWAYS SAYS IT BEST, DO NOT EVER GIVE UP, ANY STEPS ARE BETTER THAN NO STEPS AT ALL. STAY POSITIVE.
  • Patti241
    Patti241 Posts: 4,888 Member
    Hello! I'm Patti

My main goal is to lose weight. And my biggest problem is eating. When I am bored that is what I end up doing. I need to get a hold on this and change that part.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,642 Member
    Hello I'm AnnLiz

My main goal it to lose weight and inches , I am on target but my joint are not good so from time to time I find it hard with my knees and back issues.
  • francescopelandlucas
    francescopelandlucas Posts: 1,149 Member
    Hello! I am Frances from Alabama. Long-timer Sparker and now Fitnesspal. I am at my last 5-10 pounds to get off so not so motivated all the time. I go up and down a few pounds but still in the mid 150's. Since I am tall, I want to get to 148. Since November of last year, I got off gluten which really skyrocketed my weight loss. And I feel better. Looking forward to another great season of fitness!
  • cmoak54
    cmoak54 Posts: 1,329 Member
    Hello I'm Clare from Wisconsin.
    For these 8 weeks I want to get back to the good habits I had last year and get my weight loss moving again. I need to learn to be patient and focus on one day at a time.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,417 Member
    I need accountability . I need to focus on me even though life is hectic. I need to log everything. When I want to graze refocus.
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,469 Member
    Where YOU would like to go on YOUR Seasonal 5% Journey?
    I'm Cory17 (Linda) from southern California. I'm an emotional/ stress eater who has multiple health issues and this past week got lab results showing my Lp(a) is uber high (in other words, my cardiovascular risks are really high (despite all my other lipid profile #s being great).
    Planning to reincorporate my protein drinks during the day, prioritize exercise more (increase the steps, increase the gym time) and utilize other means of handling my emotions. Take action, not just think about it.