🧮 Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #2: SET SOME GOALS! 🧮

hicim705
hicim705 Posts: 5,731 Member
fgx0qz1syq73.png

Plan your 5% Journey by SETTING GOALS. Our previous activity discussed why you are here and what you would like to get out of your 5% Challenge Journey. Please consider your thoughts about that first activity and expand upon those. Please think about this carefully, it may be the most important plan that you will make for the entire challenge. There are several hundred MFP members who have joined the 5% Challenge and every one of them has a unique reason for wanting to 'become healthy'. Don't look at it as losing weight, although for many, that is the ultimate goal. Think of this as a chapter in your life leading you from where you are now to where you want to be. Think of how you feel today ... think of how you want to look and feel tomorrow. Make a plan - a realistic plan - that will help you get to your goal.

You won't be able to visualize what YOUR tomorrow looks like without having a plan in place. Think of your overall plan, then set some goals ~ small, measurable goals to help you. Set goals for small, specific tasks that will give you a sense of accomplishment and will help to motivate you to keep moving forward.

MFP is a site designed toward a healthy lifestyle, so you have already taken one important step in your personal healthy lifestyle journey. Yet, a healthy lifestyle is much more than what you eat or how much you exercise.

Try to think about achieving ‘balance’ in your life which is necessary to have a healthy lifestyle.
~ Set a specific goal (or goals). Do you want to fit into an outfit that you haven't been able to wear in some time? Do you want to walk around the block effortlessly? Do you want to be able to bend over to tie your shoes? Remember - this is YOUR goal ... YOUR journey ~ give your goal(s) some thought.
~ Once you've decided on your goal(s), give yourself a timeline. For this purpose - you already have a timeline ... the 5% Challenge ~ commit to it! A seasonal challenge lasts 8 weeks. Each week consists of 7 days. 7 days X 8 weeks = 56 days. 56 days from beginning to end. What can YOU accomplish in 56 days?
~ WHY? Ask yourself this simple, but VERY important question. WHY are you doing this? Give this simple question some serious thought. There is no right or wrong answer to YOUR why, but be honest with the answer.
~ EXERCISE? Make an appointment to do it and put it in whatever calendar/vehicle you use to organize your day(s). Treat it as a doctor's appointment or an appointment to have your hair done. Create this appointment and stick to it ~ make it a priority. Consider a 30-minute workout at lunch time, 3-4 days/week (maybe 5 days?) or you might want to work out for 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes after work. Whatever time you have carved out for this 'self care' ~ keep this important appointment with yourself.
~ NUTRITION? How will you nourish your body? You can Google anything/everything having to do with weight loss and you will come up with a list of ‘do this’ and/or ‘don't do that’. The list is sure to include: Paleo, Atkins, Keto, Intermittent Fasting and everything in between. Most nutrition-based articles agree: nutrient-dense and well-balanced meals are what you should strive for, at the end of the day ~ no matter what the plan, many ‘plans’ come back to ‘calories in, calories out’.

📓 Your assignment:
Countdown & Pre-Challenge Activity #2: SET SOME GOALS! 📓

In order for you to make/execute a plan, please be sure to write it down ~ wherever you can see it!! If you blog, that is an excellent way to record your plan ~ you will also be able to go back to review your writing and reaffirm your commitment to yourself and your healthy lifestyle. If you blog on MFP, please remember to visit: ✍️🖊️📓💻 Seasonal 5% Challenges ~ BLOGGERS!! ✍️🖊️📓💻.
Here is the link: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/143978-️-️-seasonal-5-challenges-bloggers-️-️

Remember to feel proud of each and every day that you 'work your plan', however, if you have a day where you find that you may stumble, don't dwell on it; pick yourself up; dust yourself off and keep walking toward your goal(s).

Feel free to add your comments to this thread outlining your goal setting plans for a successful 2024 Fall 5% Challenge (if you blog, you may add the link to your blog here or you may simply wish to copy/paste your writing here - or do both!), but please consider sharing!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PLEASE NOTE: The Seasonal 5% Challenge Teams are very active. You will be expected to participate to the best of your ability.

ALL challenge weeks run from Saturday through Friday - you will be expected to record your exercise and ‘Living the Good Life’ points based on weekly Challenge themes. You are expected to record these points daily or at least as often as you can during the week but no later than 11:59 pm each Saturday (your local time). In addition, you are expected to weigh in one time per week by 11:59 pm every Saturday (your local time). Your individual team leaders and/or team mates will help to answer any and all questions about where to record your points.

🔮 Our 2024 Fall 5% Challenge Teams are currently being set up. 🔮

✉️ You will be invited to your individual team soon, in enough time to get to know your team leaders and team mates. Until then, get to know some of the Challengers in the 5% Challenge Community that will be participating right along with you. ✉️

📢 Announcements will be made when invitations to your individual teams are sent. Please visit this team, the 2024 AUTUMN/FALL 5% COMMUNITY TEAM often as this will be the best source for up-to-date information. 📢
=============================================
Please be sure to set yourself up for S-U-C-C-E-S-S!! Why not start by taking part in **ALL** of the Pre-Challenge Activities? Here they are listed (along with their links) so you can find/participate in all of them!!

Pre-Challenge Activity #1:
https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10924226/countdown-pre-challenge-activity-1-information-and-your-input#latest

Heidi (hicim705)
Overall Co-Leader, Seasonal 5% Challenges (hosted on MFP)

Replies

• nansbones7708
    nansbones7708 Posts: 431 Member
    SPECIFIC GOALS
    Long term I want to lose weight, get fit, learn to relax, deal with stress without sugar
    8 week goal is to get myself back into a doable routine which moves me to a healthier relaxed state with a bonus of a couple of pounds lost

WHY?
    I want to start slowly to get myself out of the rut of lethargy and depression I’m starting to come back out of and I don’t want to push the boundaries to where the stress wins again

EXERCISE
    I’m setting a minimum intentional exercise goal of 30 minutes everyday before breakfast unless appointments get in the way when I’ll preplan an alternative time.
    Exercise is planned as walking outside in the dry or Jessica Smith functional strength video
    I currently do my heavy housework and that at my friend’s because of her health issues.
    I keep my large garden and weed at my friend’s house and belong to a group at church who maintain vast church grounds as best we can.
    I need to manage my time so I don’t overtire myself and resort to the candy jar

NUTRITION
    Planned, tracked, measured often batch cooked meals are going into my daily food plan along with a specific pre tracked cake or candy treat.
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 688 Member
    GOAL
    Main goal is to lose weight (40 lbs) and become more fit and active again. I would like to start strength training again. I was pretty active up until my pregnancy in 2022 but then kind of fell off the wagon. I'm going on week 3 with keeping up with daily exercising pretty well.
    My short-term goal (challenge goal) is to get back into exercising again on a regular basis and hopefully lose the first 10 lbs. Getting better at tracking my daily food intake is part of that goal.

WHY?
    To be able to keep up with my 2 year old. I am 47 and my daughter turns 2 on September 30th. I want to be healthy and active to be able to keep up with her and hopefully be here for her for a long time.

WORKOUTS
    I usually get my workouts done in the morning while everyone in the house is sleeping. Since it is dark out at that time, I rely mainly on You tube videos. I usually try to do something different each morning, usually 30-40 min videos, so I don't get bored doing the same thing. I also throw in strength training with Body Electric (Margaret Richard) videos and Body Groove workouts since I love to dance. I do take my kiddo on nightly walks around the neighborhood when the weather is nice. I push her on her bike.
    I love to do yardwork, but we are starting to get into the cooler months so soon there will not be much to do. shoveling snow maybe, if we get some.

NUTRITION
    This is the hardest part for me. I am determined to start logging all meals and to start measuring my food (I usually just eyeball it).
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,417 Member
    Activity # 2

Goal is to step back and have hubby step up. To loose weight and get back to the best me.

Why: How can I take care of everyone else if I don't take care of me.

Exercise 5/7 at least a 1/2 hour.

Log everything!
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 13,422 Member
    SPECIFIC - Lose 2 or 3 lbs, increase my length of exercise and type if my body will allow it. Eat lower sodium.

WHY: GOAL to have my heart working at a good rate and see if this can help me to breathe easier in the long run. Lose weight (2 or 3 lbs because I do lose slowly, but I DO lose) and to control sodium better, which means home cooked meals more often.

EXERCISE: My new goal for this challenge is to go from 4100 steps a day to 4500 steps a day. See if I can do aerobics (Modified) or yoga (I can do chair exercise if needed) and perhaps some slow movement.

NUTRITION: To have a defict of 500 a day or at least 5 days out of the week. To reduce sodium when I am at home!! This means adding in more cooked meals. I am fine with that.

• Ronnie_happy2ranch
    Ronnie_happy2ranch Posts: 489 Member
    Specific: within 8 weeks to lose at least 4 lbs
    Why: to keep myself active and healthy
    Exercise: this time of year means getting back on the treadmill (pool is closing soon) and hopefully contining with the rowing machine
    Nutrition: continue to do easy meal prep for breakfast and lunches and have healthy meals for dinner/snacks
  • deskjockey925
    deskjockey925 Posts: 5,700 Member
    Goal - Lose Inches in my stomach, thighs, and biceps.
    (If it comes off on the scale, too .. then, great!)

Why - To be healthier, feel better, live independently longer.

Exercise - 400+ minutes/week

Nutrition - 85g Protein
  • diamonds1202
    diamonds1202 Posts: 33 Member
    Specific: Lose a pound a week for a total of 8 pounds.

Why: To break the plateau.

Exercise: at least 3 nights a week, a nightly walk with my son and our dog.

Nutrition: Be more consistent about accurate logs, weigh food, count all spices (even though usually negligible) to be more consistent about accuracy.
  • macrat12
    macrat12 Posts: 6,185 Member
    Specific Goal: Get closer to my goal weight and finally lose 5%.

Why: To be a healthier version of myself

Exercise: 3-5 resistance training days and daily walks

Nutrition: Hit Protein and Calories daily while working on being consistent with carbs and fats. Not over or under too much on those.
  • Patti241
    Patti241 Posts: 4,882 Member
    Specific Goal is to lose a little weight.

Why: To feel better about myself

Exercise: Walking and strength exercise

Nutrition: To eat healthier food and do not snack as much.
  • aalley5
    aalley5 Posts: 2,956 Member
    ~ S.M.A.R.T. Goals - Set up on my blog.
    ~ WHY? There are many reasons I need to stay accountable for my health.
    1. To ensure I don't gain back any more of the weight I have previously lost.
    2. I'd like my cholesterol to be in the normal range.
    3. It would be helpful to keep my bones and muscles strong.

~ EXERCISE? I have a routine set on my blog.

~ NUTRITION? For me, I need to eat more veggies. I try and usually do eat them with every meal. I also use protein smoothies for added protein. Just not a daily thing. I use supplements and really need to work on cutting out the simple carbs.
  • francescopelandlucas
    francescopelandlucas Posts: 1,148 Member
    Goals - End the year with 3x/week working out and 10K steps a day to lose my last 5-10 pounds while keeping gluten and sugar out of my diet.
    Exercise - Gym 3x week w/weights and 10K steps a day.
    Nutrition - Cut back on eating out and sugar.
  • Grannysue91
    Grannysue91 Posts: 5,491 Member
    Goals - To lose my 5% weight during this challenge.

Why - To keep from being a diabetic. It runs in my family.

Exercise - Will be using my Tetter Step up, treadmill and many different types of exercise videos. I have been doing 120 minutes a day.

Nutrition - Eating more protein and cutting down on carbs.
  • cmoak54
    cmoak54 Posts: 1,328 Member
    edited September 28
    Specific: Focus on one day at a time, meet my daily goals. Lose some weight (5-10 lbs.) Set myself up with solid habits going into the holidays, always a tough time for me.
    weight.png

Why: Feel good, be healthy, move pain free.

Exercise: Meet or exceed step goal by walking and/or exercise videos daily. Incorporate more strength exercise and make sure I am getting at least 15 zone minutes per day (per FitBit).
    exercise.png
    Nutrition: Weigh and measure what I eat; record in MFP; meet daily carbs, protein and fiber requirements; eliminate mindless snacking between meals.
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,469 Member
    SPECIFIC - Lose the 5% instead of just maintaining same weight.

WHY: Health goals, get the A1c down more, be ready for Surf City 1/2 next Feb, live to enjoy retirement.

EXERCISE: increase daily steps to 7500 w/goal of 10000. get on bike 3x wk, swim at least 45 min 3 x wk

NUTRITION: increase fiber, protein, and water intake (double fiber & water). track calories
  • AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 1,979 Member
    edited September 29
    Specific Goal: is to lose an inch or so off waist
    Why: is to reduce health risks and live a long time
    Exercise: is walking at least 150 minutes per week/strength exercises 5-10 minutes every weekday morning

Nutrition: is to keep eating healthy and not keeping cookies, cakes, sweets, etc. in the house.
  • KellyBisciotti
    KellyBisciotti Posts: 10 Member
    GOAL: 5% = 15lbs.

WHY: So my knees will feel better, I can be more active and enjoy the things in life that I miss doing like gardening, comic cons, travel, theme parks, and other things that require a lot of walking.

FITNESS: Dedicated 30 min, 3x/week heart pumping exercise in my home gym. Anything extra is bonus. 6500+ steps per day, up from desk at least once per hour.

NUTRITION: logging daily, focusing overall on low carb, moderate fat, high protein and fiber. Lots of water. Mindful choices and portions. Stick to daily calorie goal.
  • BodyTalking
    BodyTalking Posts: 2,714 Member
    edited September 29
    My goals and plans for this coming season are on-going:

▪️ Goal:
    5% or 5 kilo loss.
    Plan: I will continue losing weight since I did well in summer.
    Why? Because I want to feel less bulgy and want to lessen the impact on my joints. I also have clothes that I haven't worn for a few years and would like to once again.

▪️ Goal: weekly 3500+ fewer calories than maintenance level.
    Plan: I will continue eating within a calorie deficit.
    Why? Because it clearly makes a difference in my weight loss. I've also found that cutting out the more habit-forming things helps keep the numbers low.

▪️ Goal: 7000+ daily steps
    Plan: I will gradually increase my weekly step total and try to do more on days that I can fit longer walks in.
    Why? Because this also aids my weight loss but also keeps me fit.

▪️ Goal: Exercise more and do housework more regularly.
    Plan: I will continue trying to make a habit of exercise snacks and housework snacks - short sessions of each.
    Why? Because I can slot them into my day without much disruption.

▪️ Goal: Finalise my Dopamine Menu (trending idea I recently read about).
    Plan: To use my personal menu and get the small things and big things done in a timely manner.
    Why? Because I'm terrible at getting things done and maybe this will be a good way for me to feel satisfied at the end of the day/week/month/year.
  • bluenoser38
    bluenoser38 Posts: 54 Member
    Goal: Short term goal is to lose 5% of body weight (12lbs) over 8 weeks. Long term goal is to lose another 10% over next six months, and improve my strength and stamina through exercise.

Why: I think there is a better than 50% change of civilizational collapse within the next decade. It will be hard enough to get through without being overweight.

Exercise: I plan to go to the gym for strength training at least twice each week, and to go for walks at least three times per week.

Nutrition: I plan to track everything I eat, and eat within my calorie allowance 80% of the time. I would also like to increase my fruit and vegetable intake.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 1,142 Member
    I'm keeping things simple this season:

GOALS:
    Eat whole foods and cut out the processed foods. And get my exercise routine back into place.

WHY?
    I know if I do these two things I can consistently lose weight and get healthier.
  • rms62003
    rms62003 Posts: 6 Member
    I'm new here, and am very interested to see what this group is like.

GOAL: Better cardiovascular health and strength. I know that I'm obese, but I'd rather focus on better health and exercise tolerance than on the scale.

WHY: Quite frankly, I got pretty fed up with how badly I've been taking care of my body. I know what to do, and need to get off my rear and start doing it again!

FITNESS: Gym 5 days a week for about an hour, with cardiovascular and strength training. I'm hoping to have 300 intensity minutes on my Garmin every week by the end of the year. I have found in the past that my day is better when I start it out by working out. But, 5am wake up call can be really hard at times!

NUTRITION: I cook healthy at home, my downfall is eating out. My goal is to eat out 2 or less times a week, and to meal prep/cook at home, focusing on protein goals.