Let's Introduce Ourselves...

Options
cbear017
cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
What's your name?
Where do you live?
How long have you been riding?
What's your discipline?
What's your horse's name/breed (if applicable)?

I'm Claire

I live in Southwestern Ontario (in Canada!)

I've been riding since I was 12. I'm now 35. I used to do PPG games and hunter/jumper and I'm just in my 2nd year of dressage. Doing my first test this summer. I want to get into 3-day eventing and would like to try western.

I don't have my own horse but I ride the same horse all the time. His name is Kazaam and he's an Appendix. I love him to pieces!!!

Replies

• Solly123
    Solly123 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm Orla

I live in Dublin, Ireland

I've been riding since I was 8, with a 10 yr gap from 18 to 28!!

I've dipped my toe into most disciplines - dressage, XCountry, showjumping and hunting. Currently I'm working on Dressage and Showjumping

I've 3 horses.
    22yr old Appendix Irish Draught mare, who is breeding. She was my hunter.. Just stay with her and you'd clear anything
    5 yr old Irish Draught gelding out of my mare, who I am currently riding. Loves XC and SJ, not so into his flatwork!!
    2 yr old Irish Sport Horse filly out of my mare, who is on grass, planning to back her next year and start riding in 2013..
  • tasnim81
    tasnim81 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    What's your name? Therese

Where do you live?

I live in Sousse, Tunisia, but I'm from Sweden..

I have been around horses since I was a baby, my aunt had a horse. Started taking lessons at about 6. I continued until 14-15, then had to quit since it's so expensive. My biggest motivation for losing weight now is to start riding again. I have to lose weight as the barb/arab horses here really should NOT carry my weight.. lol. So the closest I get to horses right now is when we take the children to the stable here outside of town..

What's your discipline?

I was aiming for showjumping. My aunt was into that so she started to teach me when I was 7-8. Loved it from the start. Right now I'd be happy to do ANY discipline, just so I can ride, lol.

Never had a horse, unfortunately... but me and husband are planning on buying in the future, God willing.:smile: Have to get back in the saddle and take lessons again first!
  • MAGNIFIEDME
    MAGNIFIEDME Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Maggie and I'm also from Canada - I live just outside Niagara Falls in Ontario.
    I have an 11yr old sabino paint named Lee (or Hoover as I like to call him - ok that's one of the names :) )
    I ride western, I'm working on Level II Parelli with Lee and I've had him for 4yrs. I bought him when I turned 40 (yup midlife crisis here I come) but I started riding when I was eight and stopped when I was around 20 or so.
    My goal is to be able to lope (canter) my horse on a loose rein and not be terrified - or atleast be able to tell the difference between being terrified and exhillarated :) I'm working on that.
    It's funny the older you get the more you realize you don't bounce as easily when you get tossed off the horse, but he's teaching me the reasons for his bucking is mainly my fault and I'm learning not to go there anymore.

On a side note - it's about time MFP started up some groups, I was thinking about going back to Sparkpeople for that reason because it's so lonely not being able to talk to people other than on the boards.

Happy trails everyone :) Nice to meet you all!
  • peacheywoo
    peacheywoo Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    What's your name?

Sue

Where do you live?

Small town called Paignton in South West England

On and off since I was about 8

What's your discipline?

Just staying on - LOL. I'm a happy hacker - I'm just happy to ride and be around horses. Old instructor said I had real jumping ability but following a fairly hefty back injury I have to take it easy - so just gentle hacks suit me fine these days

I currently ride my friends horse - he's a 16 3 Palomino Gelding of dubious ancestry. He's getting on a bit so his pace of life and mine suit each other well. John is trying to plonk me on his 16 3 Irish Draught x TB event horse but she's been a bit nuts so I think I'll pass on that til she's settled down again!

So - here's a question - has anyone ever thought about the calories burnt doing hays and waters, or mucking out. I had planned to ride today but Bumble has thrown a shoe so I just went up to see him and helped out a bit by doing the hays and waters for the 6 horses there plus made up the nets for tonight. I would have mucked out as well but John wasn't back with the bedding. I was curious to try and work out how many calories I burnt - not many I'm sure but its outside my daily activity so guess it would count for something!
  • sarahemily86
    sarahemily86 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    What's your name? Sarah

Where do you live? Lake Orion, Michigan

How long have you been riding? Since I was 15, I'm 25 now. I had about a 5 year gap in there though.

What's your discipline? Western... absolutely LOVE reining! Going to be taking dressage lessons soon though

What's your horse's name/breed (if applicable)? Don't have a horse at this moment. Love quarter horses :)
  • cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    What's your name? Cindy

Where do you live? Northwest Georgia - USA

How long have you been riding? Off and on since I was 8ish

What's your discipline? I just trial ride. Not interested in showing or jumping. Plan on eventually training my mare for team penning.

What's your horse's name/breed (if applicable) Barm name is Bella. Registered name is Doc's Dancin Wildfire (appropriate) She is a Bay Tovero Paint. Pics can be seen on my profile page.
    Also have a yearling that is I think 1/4 TWH and the rest is Tovero Paint. (Sire is the son of my mare). He's a wonderful baby with his mama's attitude which is great when I compare that to my mare lol. He has a very sweet disposition. He isn't registered but his name is Prime. He belongs to my 8 yr old twin sons. Transformers are big around our house and we had to compromise on the name. also have two mules that I recently acquired. They are Red and Ironhide. No one knew what their names were from where I got them. I know absolutely nothing about mules!
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    What's your name? Rose

Where do you live? north of Seattle, Washington. Hoping to move to Montana when I retire next year.

How long have you been riding? When I was 11-13, I was permitted to ride the pony we boarded for people from town. Didn't get back into horses until I was an adult and wanted to introduce riding to my two daughters. We started out with lessons, then a care-lease horse, and bought our first one, a Hanoverian, (Maggie) in 2000. Since then, we've acquired a Morgan (Rizado), a Kiger mustang/Quarter Horse (Dundee), and a BLM mustang (Knight).

What's your discipline? I did Parelli Natural Horsemanship training with Maggie and Riz until they went to my DD1, who rides dressage. DD2 rides trail and dressage with Dundee, and trail with Knight. I ride in a dressage saddle in the arena and Western on the trail.

What's your horse's name/breed? Knight (Beaty's Red Knight) will be my "own" horse when I retire. I don't currently have one where I live, but ride Knight when I visit DD2, and Maggie (First Things First) at DD1's.

I can't wait to get back to daily riding and horse chores--it's the most enjoyable calorie-burning exercise I know of.
  • playcharm
    Options
    Hi, I'm Lisa.

I live in Ohio

I've been riding since I was 10

I ride western and enjoy trail riding, but love watching dressage and reining

I have 2 horses a paint named "Chips Songrockinhorse", we call him "Toby", and a QH/TB premarin foal named "Carson".
  • TerraGirl17
    TerraGirl17 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    What's your name?
    Terra

Where do you live?
    Ontario

Since I was 3 (28 years)

What's your discipline?
    I am a western girl, used to game

I have 2 - Rocky is a quarter horse gelding and Joey is my paint gelding

I love spending my weekends out on the trail with good friends and a couple of cold ones. Last weekend we were in the saddle for 8 hours over 2 days. I used to show western, barrels etc. I am currently teaching my 3 children to ride and my husband I are training Joey, our 4 year old gelding. It was Joey's first trail ride last weekend and he did AMAZING!!! We were in the bush with 3 other horses, came across grouse flying out of tree's, deer, a ton of water that we had to ride through, steep hills and some very rocky trails and nothing bothered him, he is such a good boy!!
  • MissyMustang
    Options
    What's your name?
    Lindsey

Where do you live?
    New Jersey - USA

About 10yrs. Just started riding again this summer after a 5yr "break"

What's your discipline?
    Tried a little of everything over the years - hunter/jumper, dressage, western, cross country. Currently working/riding for an eventing barn.

Unfortunatly I don't have my own horse at the moment. But my trainer is generous enough to let me work her horses daily (all Thoroughbreds) and I take 2 lessons a week. When I was 16 I rescued a 2yr old PMU foal (Belgium/TB cross) that I trained myself and sold to a wonderful family in PA. Can't wait to get another horse... hopefully soon.
  • MissyMustang
    Options
    Sue:

So - here's a question - has anyone ever thought about the calories burnt doing hays and waters, or mucking out. I had planned to ride today but Bumble has thrown a shoe so I just went up to see him and helped out a bit by doing the hays and waters for the 6 horses there plus made up the nets for tonight. I would have mucked out as well but John wasn't back with the bedding. I was curious to try and work out how many calories I burnt - not many I'm sure but its outside my daily activity so guess it would count for something!

Hey Sue here's a nifty website that list calories burned during some horsey related activities:

http://www.ultimatehorsesite.com/info/caloriesburned.html
  • wildkiger
    Options
    What's your name? Anna (singer201/Rose's DD2)

Where do you live? Eastern Washington, USA

How long have you been riding? About 18 years, I think

What's your discipline? I like dressage. Currently, I don't have a good place to school, so I mostly trail ride and enjoy my horses from the ground. I've also done Parelli (the original stuff) and unofficially made it through level 3 with my horse, Dundee.

What's your horse's name/breed (if applicable)? My boy is Dundee (Dundee's Wild Music). He is a Kiger Mustang/QH cross. I also have Knight (BLM Mustang) who will eventually be my mom's horse.
  • thespence
    Options
    My name is Tracy. I have been riding since I was 3, so about 43 years! I live North of Denver, Co and live on a small acreage.I have 3 horses, quarter horses. I used to gymkhana in my younger days, now I love to trail ride in the mountains! The main horse I ride is a Palomino mare, the other two are ridden by my daughter and her friends..
  • TerraGirl17
    TerraGirl17 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    What's your name?
    Where do you live?
    What's your discipline?

I'm Claire

I've been riding since I was 12. I'm now 35. I used to do PPG games and hunter/jumper and I'm just in my 2nd year of dressage. Doing my first test this summer. I want to get into 3-day eventing and would like to try western.

I don't have my own horse but I ride the same horse all the time. His name is Kazaam and he's an Appendix. I love him to pieces!!!

Hey Claire,
    I am from Ontario too, where abouts are you??
  • cbear017
    Options
    What's your name?
    Where do you live?
    What's your discipline?

I'm Claire

Hey Claire,
    I am from Ontario too, where abouts are you??

Hi Terra,

I recently moved from Peterborough. That's where my barn is located (actually Balieboro, if you know the area). Right now I'm living in Toronto because of work but I can't wait to get out of the city. Whereabouts do you live? I think you just wrote Ontario too.
  • peacheywoo
    peacheywoo Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Sue:

Hey Sue here's a nifty website that list calories burned during some horsey related activities:

http://www.ultimatehorsesite.com/info/caloriesburned.html

Thanks Missy - I found this site as well - interesting calories burned counts - I need to ride more!!!
  • bhelmreich
    bhelmreich Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hiii, My name is Brandi. I live in San luis Obispo attending college. I have been riding for 12 years. I first learned to ride english. I competed in Hunter and Equitation classes. I rode for my high school in Jumpers classes. I use to own a horse and then leased another horse when i was a Junior. I couldn't afford horseback riding when I started college but I recently found out that we have a Polo team and I have been taking a few lessons in that.
    The horse in my picture was my first horse. His name is Maka which means The Favorite One in Hawaiian. I grew out of him but sold him to a little girl who's family promised to keep him till he passed and retire him to a field in their backyard.
  • EmmaR31
    EmmaR31 Posts: 184
    Options
    What's your name?
    Where do you live?
    What's your discipline?

I'm Emma, I live in South Africa and have been riding on and off for 3 years now. Discipline is dressage. Sadly my mare passed away earlier this year so am currently just doing lessons once a week.

I hope to start saving up a for another horse from next year, I'm thinking a Friesian this time:)
  • cbear017
    Options
    @EmmaR29: Friesians are probably my favourite breed of all time! There's a goregous one at my barn right now. She's just a baby but she's already an amazing mover and she'll make an incredible dressage horse if her owner wasn't such a brat...lol.
  • samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!! :) I am Sam from southeastern CT. I have been riding since I was 6, well my whole life but I started taking lessons when I was 6, so about 17-22 years now. I ride english and I do 3 phase and 2 phase eventing, dressage, and I used to be on our stable's drill team (we dont have it anymore :/). Also founded the equine club at my high school and I was the president of the equine club at UCONN. My horse's name is Monty and he is an arabian/quarter horse. I have had him for about 13 years! He just turned 21! :) I am a huge fan of friesians, tn walkers, and hanoverians too though and cannot wait til the day I can own them too!! I worked with gypsy horses for quite a while; they are beautiful!!