Instruments...

Options
do you play any? for how long? skill level? recreational or professional? genre(s)? influences?

Replies

• SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Only sing....more bluesy folksy....meh.....some acoustic guitar
  • Stacera
    Stacera Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Piano-19 yrs I'm all right, probably a little rusty right now..
    Flute- 7 yrs, weirdly enough even though I've gone many years without playing when I picked up one at the beginning of the summer I wasn't bad.
    Guitar-13 yrs... I'm a rockstar ;) okay again, I'm not bad.. I've been playing more accoustic lately
    harmonica- 8yrs b/c you never know when you'll need to join a band on the street who needs a harmonica player
    about to learn violin b/c my g-pa left me his in his will.

and um... skin flute.. professional.
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Guitar for 15 years - love it - but solely for myself - I love to play the songs I love.
    I know the logistics for piano but i'm absolutely amateur
    I sing - more churchy soprano **** - I used to do weddings and christmas shows, blah blah
  • Stacera
    Stacera Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Guitar for 15 years - love it - but solely for myself - I love to play the songs I love.
    I sing - more churchy soprano **** - I used to do weddings and christmas shows, blah blah

I'm alto... sometimes raspy.. wanna start a girl group??
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I sing - more churchy soprano *kitten* - I used to do weddings and christmas shows, blah blah

You *kitten* know i do!!!! damn woman.
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    Guitar 23 years
    Played professionally since age 15. Passed on playing lead guitar for the Deftones in 92 back when they were just another local band. Kinda regret that, but oh well

Went on to study composition. Played in several jazz, latin, rock, metal, funk bands.

Self taught the Clarinet.

Sang as a Baritone for a choir and as a Bass in a Mens Ensemble.

Currently looking to form a heavy rock band
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    I sing - more churchy soprano *kitten* - I used to do weddings and christmas shows, blah blah

You *kitten* know i do!!!! damn woman.

dude for reals????

i've been singing since i was 4!!!! my friends and family have been begging me to stop... but i think i need to be part of this group for reals!!!
  • LaPistolaSexola
    LaPistolaSexola Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    do you play any? for how long? skill level? recreational or professional? genre(s)? influences?
    skin flute.
    as long as it takes
    probably wouldn't charge for an audience
    recreational for sure.
    i don't discriminate although right now i prefer Hawaiian.
    influences - my loins.
  • LaPistolaSexola
    LaPistolaSexola Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    i've always wanted to play the piano. ever since i was a little girl.
    my grandfather used to tell me he'd buy me a piano when he won the lottery.
    me, not understanding how unrealistic that was, would ask him every week if he'd won yet.

so...while my friends took piano lessons, i'd watch sometimes.

one day a salesman came around our neighborhood and offered a 6 week accordion class.
    it was sorta close to a piano in my eyes, so i begged my parents to let me do it.

after the 6 weeks were up we had a recital. i invited my 2nd grade teacher.
    we were offered to enroll in further instruction and i talked my parents into purchasing that big huge honkin' pearly white accordion. then i quit the class.

that is as far as my instrument history goes.
  • juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I sing... alto - sometimes tenor.

Vocal performance major in college... I took piano and guitar lessons all through college but I did not stick with it. :grumble: I can still play a *few* things on the piano... ZIP on the guitar. I am a leftie and I just never got it all figured out.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    turntables!! and produce jungle/dubstep/anything bass heavy
  • ifeelsqueaky
    Options
    I've played guitar for over ten years now and have gradually become almost competent! I play in a band called Wrapped in Plastic - you can check us out at http://www.facebook.com/wiplastic
  • Jon_Rod
    Jon_Rod Posts: 158
    Options
    I sing and play the piano, I do not read music, I play from my heart, I hear it and then i can play it, It took years to learn how to do that and im still learning everyday : )
  • JustEllieK
    JustEllieK Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Piano-10 years:)
  • drblythe
    drblythe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Drums (kit) for 16 years, and vocals too

Also teach children drums, vocals and how to play in bands
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I'm a drummer. Played for 18 years now. I play piano and guitar as well as do some vocals. I play in heavy metal bands mostly and have a studio at home to record with.
  • sandislim
    Options
    I've played guitar for 19 years, Saxophone for 23 years, Piano for 8 years although I've dabbled in piano for 20+ years. I'm now studying for advanced performance in piano and teach, music theory piano and saxophone. I love teaching and playing - I don't really have any desires to go pro though.

I would like to go to uni and finish my music degree.

I like most music, jazz, classical, rock/metal, contemporary and experimental. I like writing music too.

I also dabble in flute and double recorder playing LOL
  • HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    Options
    Piano for 20 years and I was in choirs all the way from elementary school til college. I don't play so much any more (major lack of time tho I miss it a lot) and was a music major (piano/msuic ed) for the first 2 years of college. I also played Violin for awhile in Middle school and tried out the Harp for a sememster in college
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I took a year of piano when I was 9 (I was pretty bad), then I took up the flute when I was 10. I played that (and the piccolo) pretty much throughout high school and part of college. I haven't played since I graduated college (I miss it). I'd love to find a working adult group in the DC area that doesn't mind someone who is really rusty. :)
  • legacysh
    legacysh Posts: 464
    Options
    Piano, since I was 10, I both read music and write music, but I also play by ear. Keyboards/Synth 5 years, but After playing the piano for so long, I find it feel like cheating to only play portions of songs.

I also sing (front a couple of cover bands and back-up vocals in the recording studio)

I do have a guitar and bass, and I am better at bass than guitar, but not proficient at either.