Favorite Primal or Paleo Meal

Options

Replies

• Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Yup, I'm for sure going to roast up a crap load of pumpkin, butternut squash, and sweet potatoes tonight and then drizzle all that in butter. Best. diet. ever.
  • PantalaNagaPampa
    PantalaNagaPampa Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Love the butternut squash and sweet potatos, not sure about pumpkin though. I will have to give that a try
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    roasted parsnips!!! mmmmhmmm!
  • PantalaNagaPampa
    PantalaNagaPampa Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    never had them.. how do I prepare them?
  • immacookie
    Options

I've only ever had them roasted. But I've heard of people making "mashed parsnips" similar to "mashed cauliflower"... never tried that though.

I just peel them... chunk up into bite size chunks... toss in favorite oil (I use EVOO because I don't like the coconut flavor here)... salt/pepper/garlic/whatever other spices you enjoy.... roast at 425 for roughly 30 min stirring every 10 min or so until lightly browned and somewhat soft (but not mush).
  • lys617
    lys617 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    garlic roasted brussel sprouts. Hated them before I tried this version, now one of my favorite veggies!!
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options

I've only ever had them roasted. But I've heard of people making "mashed parsnips" similar to "mashed cauliflower"... never tried that though.

I just peel them... chunk up into bite size chunks... toss in favorite oil (I use EVOO because I don't like the coconut flavor here)... salt/pepper/garlic/whatever other spices you enjoy.... roast at 425 for roughly 30 min stirring every 10 min or so until lightly browned and somewhat soft (but not mush).

I will vouch for this. Better than roasted potatoes! Try rutabega too.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash with homemade meat sauce. It's super easy and feeds us for days :) Oh and its delicious!

I tried this Sunday for first time when I made regular spaghetti for family - I actually quite liked the spaghetti squash!
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I made a sausage quiche twice now that I love - brown one pound of breakfast sausage (I buy it from local farm without nasty crap added - they make it from ham so it is actually not greasy)

Put sausage in bottom of 9" greased pie plate. Top with assorted vegetables (I usually use peppers, onions, broccoli and mushrooms). Whisk together 6 eggs with 1 tsp dry mustard and pour over top of veggies and meat. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes.

I usually make this in evening while cooking dinner and then reheat it in the morning. This is a great breakfast for a busy morning or before a tough workout.

Organic Prairie - Pork Breakfast Sausage, 16 oz. 1,120 4 92 72 0 0
    Eggs Organic - Eggs Organic, 6 whole cooked 420 6 30 36 0 0
    Colman's - Dry Mustard Powder, 1 tsp 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Broccoli - Raw, 1 cup, chopped 30 6 0 2 2 1
    Peppers - Sweet, red, raw, 0.5 cup, chopped 19 4 0 1 1 3
    Bell Peppers - Yellow, Raw, 0.5 pepper (186 g/3.75" long, 3" diameter) 25 6 0 1 1 0
    Peppers - Sweet, green, raw, 0.5 cup, chopped 15 3 0 1 1 2
    Add Ingredient
    Total: 1629 29 122 113 5 6
    Per Serving: cal 407 carbs 7 fat 31 protein 28 fiber 1 sugar 2
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    bump
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I pretty much love food. Period.

I've been partial to "taco salad" -- ground beef seasoned with cumin, chipotle, and garlic, on top of mixed greens. I top it off with guacamole and salsa and add some plantain chips. Mmmmm...

But I'm looking forward to tonight's dinner too: seared skirt steak with oven roasted brussels sprouts and sweet potato fries.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Love the butternut squash and sweet potatos, not sure about pumpkin though. I will have to give that a try

yea the pumpkin was a fail. But the sweet potatoes and butternut squash was a win (duh) :)

I made pork tenderloins breaded in almond flour tonight. yumm!
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I love how much love there is for brussel sprouts here! I am very into brussel sprouts - sometimes cooked in (nitrate-free uncured) bacon fat (and sometimes crumbling up the bacon on top for good measure), sometimes cooked in unrefined coconut oil, and sometimes roasted in the roasting pan with a big chicken or turkey. I *love* me some brussel sprouts! :)
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I love how much love there is for brussel sprouts here! I am very into brussel sprouts - sometimes cooked in (nitrate-free uncured) bacon fat (and sometimes crumbling up the bacon on top for good measure), sometimes cooked in unrefined coconut oil, and sometimes roasted in the roasting pan with a big chicken or turkey. I *love* me some brussel sprouts! :)
    Yes!

When I was a kid my parents used to steam them and I would eat them and they were okay (I was always a kid who more or less happily ate whatever was put in front of me--even green veggies :happy: )

BUT THEN! My friend introduced me to the notion of roasting them and... Hello! I was hooked. I craved them so bad last winter that I started worrying that I had some kind of deficiency and that was my body's way of trying to tell me. I once ate a giant bowl of the for dinner (and nothing else). Got heartburn, but it was delicious.

And yeah, cooked in bacon fat is divine.
  • 16mixingbowls
    16mixingbowls Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Everyone needs to know about ACORN SQUASH. They are in season right now, and unlike butternut or spaghetti squash, you can bake them in the oven with a drizzle of oil and spices, and EAT THE SKIN! It's soooooo delish. Try it please. The texture is amazing.
  • AmbitionStrong
    AmbitionStrong Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    meat & fat, with a garnish of veggie. :-p
  • AmbitionStrong
    AmbitionStrong Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Everyone needs to know about ACORN SQUASH. They are in season right now, and unlike butternut or spaghetti squash, you can bake them in the oven with a drizzle of oil and spices, and EAT THE SKIN! It's soooooo delish. Try it please. The texture is amazing.

Our neighbor's farmer market closed this weekend, and I got a bunch of acorn (green and white), butternut, and buttercups on clearance for $1 each!
  • immacookie
    Options
    Yes!

When I was a kid my parents used to steam them and I would eat them and they were okay (I was always a kid who more or less happily ate whatever was put in front of me--even green veggies :happy: )

BUT THEN! My friend introduced me to the notion of roasting them and... Hello! I was hooked. I craved them so bad last winter that I started worrying that I had some kind of deficiency and that was my body's way of trying to tell me. I once ate a giant bowl of the for dinner (and nothing else). Got heartburn, but it was delicious.

And yeah, cooked in bacon fat is divine.

I discovered roasting with broccoli... one of the veggies that I've always hated.... it's the ONLY way I will eat it now. And have become a bit obsessed with roasting veggies for the last year or so, seems to be one of my favorite ways to cook them... and you can cook a large amount of whatever and have leftovers for several days!

Has anyone tried cabbage steamed/roasted with bacon + onion + garlic?? Again, never liked cabbage... but I like this!
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash with homemade meat sauce. It's super easy and feeds us for days :) Oh and its delicious!

I tried this Sunday for first time when I made regular spaghetti for family - I actually quite liked the spaghetti squash!

I love spaghetti squash.. wish my family loved it also. I would make it on a weekly basis. it's so easy and delicious.
  • iluv2travel
    Options
    Bacon, eggs fried in butter and an avocado is my favorite! Actually, any meal that has bacon :bigsmile: