Welcome!

I suggest that we all just introduce ourselves - where we are in the C25K if already started the programme and for those who want to give their weight loss goal for the 9 week programme. For any close to the end of the C25K I'd be interested in the progress after completing the programme - do you go on to longer distances or stay the distance and go for quicker times?

Try to post at the end of the weeks programme as to how it went - good bits/bad bits - anything really. We can share the experiences and support each other through to the end and becoming runners!

Any suggestions welcome as to how this group is run.....

Replies

• bobbi29
    bobbi29 Posts: 138 Member
    Hi everyone,

I am on week 2 of the C25k. I really enjoying the program in fact so much I have signed up for a 5k in March. I have about a 100 plus pounds to lose but I am finding out running is no problem for me. Yeah. looking for forward to reading your post. :bigsmile:
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Thanks so much for starting this group!!

My name is Rebecca, and I am restarting the C25K with Week 1. I originally started in August, completed 4.5 weeks of training, completed my first 5K in 39:54.61. After that, between the recovery, month end (3 days of working 12+ hours each day), preparing for vacation, going on vacation, and month end again, I lost the motivation. I also had been training on the treadmill, but did not want to continue as I found it very hard to run the 5K at the same pace and for the same length of time. I have just discovered that my local gym has an indoor track, so I am starting back up! This way my son can be in the child watch, I can still run using only my own power, and I don't have to worry about the elements! I completed W1D1 and it felt soooo good to get back to running! I am planning on completing my weeks on a Monday, Wednesday, Friday schedule.
  • Hello!

My name is Melanie and I want to be a runner!!

I am basically starting at the beginning. I think I'll just start at W1D1 tonight, tho I was considering starting at day 2 since I did do a little running Sunday.

I started running a few different times in the past, but always seem to fall off track (pun intended!) before long. Last year I signed up for and completed a 4 mile Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving...had started running in September to work up to it...then as soon as it was over, I quit running again. I was so proud of my progress and my determination...but once the run I signed up for was over, so was I! There is probably a lesson there somewhere for me....

Running is one of those things that my mind tries to tell me I can't do..."You're not a runner!" it says to me. I want to prove it wrong...and once I do that, who knows what else I will prove wrong in my own mind and belief system about myself?! :)
  • I cannot tell you how happy I am to have this group! Because of previously failing when it came to sticking with the program, I was hesitant to start up once again. However, knowing that there are others going at it with me THRILLS me!!!!

My name is Nikki and I completed W1D1 yesterday and I walked for 30 minutes today. Because of my crazy schedule I cannot set specific days each week that I will be participating in the program, but I WILL succeed at least 3 days a week!

I've seen this program work and I'm anxious to make it work in my life! :) I've never been a runner, but the thought of calling myself a runner excites me!

Has anyone read The Courage to Start, by John Bingham? GREAT book! Just curious! :) No matter where we're at--it's the same for all of us- One foot in front of the other! :)
  • Hello. My name is AJ and I am 31 years old. Looking to have a better life for myself, my wife and my baby girl. I started at 205 pounds in July 5th 2011 when I decided to lose the weight. Happy to say that I've lost close to 50 pounds and I am now training for a 5k. I'm currently on week 4 day one of the C25K program.

I feel great, my body has adjusted well to the lifestyle change. Let me know if you guys have questions or need a little push for your lifestyle change.
  • KatrinaG2012
    KatrinaG2012 Posts: 359 Member
    Hi! My name is Kathy and I am very much looking forward to the support and encouragement this group will offer. I posted a little about where I was and what my expectations for C25K under the wrong topic so I have copied it below. I would like to try to lose about 12# over the next 9 weeks. I have much more than that to lose but I am looking for sustained loss this time and will be thrilled to lose between 1 to 2 a week.

I had my first session yesterday starting (or should I say restarting) W1D1. I did two 5K that I walked a majority of last summer but am hoping to be able to run more by working the program in it's entirety this time. I only made it to week 3 a few months ago before I was waylaid by an injury to the ball of my foot. I want to be a runner so badly. I have these visions of doing several 5K then working my way up to perhaps a 10K. My biggest dream or desire is to do a sprint tri and running is my weakest area. I want medals!!!!! Lots and lots of medals from all over hanging around my neck!!!!!
  • shydaisi
    Hi! My name is Kathy and I am very much looking forward to the support and encouragement this group will offer. I posted a little about where I was and what my expectations for C25K under the wrong topic so I have copied it below. I would like to try to lose about 12# over the next 9 weeks. I have much more than that to lose but I am looking for sustained loss this time and will be thrilled to lose between 1 to 2 a week.

I had my first session yesterday starting (or should I say restarting) W1D1. I did two 5K that I walked a majority of last summer but am hoping to be able to run more by working the program in it's entirety this time. I only made it to week 3 a few months ago before I was waylaid by an injury to the ball of my foot. I want to be a runner so badly. I have these visions of doing several 5K then working my way up to perhaps a 10K. My biggest dream or desire is to do a sprint tri and running is my weakest area. I want medals!!!!! Lots and lots of medals from all over hanging around my neck!!!!!

It is sooo good to see you here too! :)
  • shydaisi
    I suggest that we all just introduce ourselves - where we are in the C25K if already started the programme and for those who want to give their weight loss goal for the 9 week programme. For any close to the end of the C25K I'd be interested in the progress after completing the programme - do you go on to longer distances or stay the distance and go for quicker times?

Try to post at the end of the weeks programme as to how it went - good bits/bad bits - anything really. We can share the experiences and support each other through to the end and becoming runners!

Any suggestions welcome as to how this group is run.....

I did not see the part about posting weight loss goals until after I posted the goal thread. I hope you don't mind! I definitely did not mean to step on your toes as the creator of the group, but it didn't even cross my mind until I saw this. Sorry! :embarassed:
  • Hey Rebecca,

I like your format much better! I certainly don'twant to feel like group organiser - happy that overnight (for me at least - I live in the Middle East) it's taken off and people are posting. It's only as good as it's members so it's going to be great!

:bigsmile:
  • xamyxx
    xamyxx Posts: 30
    hi my name as im sure everyones guessed is Amy lol and ive always envied runners in my village,and would like to be like them one day.i only have 14lbs left to lose but have lost 56lbs so far, i gained a lot of weight when i was pregnant with my twin boys and this is the last bit,im so happy about this group as i dont have many friends where i live so its gr8 to chat to like minded people x
  • shydaisi
    Hey Rebecca,

I like your format much better! I certainly don'twant to feel like group organiser - happy that overnight (for me at least - I live in the Middle East) it's taken off and people are posting. It's only as good as it's members so it's going to be great!

:bigsmile:

Great!! :)
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Hi! My name is Shannon (obviously!) and this is my first attempt at ever THINKING about running. My entire life, I just always said, "Oh, I can't run!" and left it at that.

However, I recently just realized that this lifestyle of mine is NOT WORKING for me and it was time to get up and do something about it. I stumbled onto couch to 5k and decided that that was going to be my ticket. :) I've been doing workouts at the gym for about 2 weeks now, but c25k is fantastic because it really gives me a plan and a goal, versus walking into the gym and wondering "now what?"

I am SO glad to have this group, because it's going to be great to see that other people are doing it too, and if I ever just nee a pat on the back or some motivation to get up and just do it, I can turn to you lovely folks!
  • APO_Katie
    APO_Katie Posts: 79 Member
    Hi! My name is Katie and I used to run in high school (~12 years ago) and I really miss it! It was the one release that I had and I didn't have to share with my 4 brothers! I was to start running again because, quite frankly, I miss it. It made me feel good about myself and it allowed me to set personal goals and see them through. I'm just starting out; today will be W1D1. I have a 5K in january that I want to compete in and I have to start running again to compete, LOL!
  • Hi! My name is Shannon (obviously!) and this is my first attempt at ever THINKING about running. My entire life, I just always said, "Oh, I can't run!" and left it at that.

However, I recently just realized that this lifestyle of mine is NOT WORKING for me and it was time to get up and do something about it. I stumbled onto couch to 5k and decided that that was going to be my ticket. :) I've been doing workouts at the gym for about 2 weeks now, but c25k is fantastic because it really gives me a plan and a goal, versus walking into the gym and wondering "now what?"

I am SO glad to have this group, because it's going to be great to see that other people are doing it too, and if I ever just nee a pat on the back or some motivation to get up and just do it, I can turn to you lovely folks!

I used to think running was a joke! I'm SO looking forward to being a runner! Yup! Me--a short, thick girl is going to be a runner! LOL! I'm so excited to be on this journey with so many in the same boat!
  • sehein7
    sehein7 Posts: 78 Member
    Hi, I'm Stefanie and like many of you, not a runner. I have always hated running and couldn't believe people would subject themselves to such torture. For some reason over the last few years, I've been having dreams where I was running and loving it (weird, huh? :blushing: ) Anyways, now is the time! Got my new running shoes, my C25K app, a playlist of move your butt music and a group of great people to help me along the way. I look forward to this journey with all of you! :happy:
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Hi, I'm Tameko and I am on week 3. We finished day 2 last night (my boyfriend is doing the program with me).

I don't really expect to lose any additional weight while doing the program but I am eating at a .5lb/week calorie deficit so hopefully by the new year I will weigh about 168.

My goal for the end of this is to run a full 5k in under 40 minutes - 33 would be great but I'll take what I can get. I'll stick around the 2 extra weeks with you guys and hopefully that will make this happen. My goal overall is to make a 3-4 mile run part of my regular exercise routine.

I'm a barefoot runner so I do it in Vibrams - we run in the park and on a paved trail near our house.
  • Summerleahd
    Summerleahd Posts: 314 Member
    Hello, my name is summer.
    I am starting week four on Friday. I'm so excited to do it! I have fell in love with running! I cheated a bit. I did one day of week one, and one day of week two, and jumped to week three. I found those to not be challenging enough. I was already in decent shape when I started. I'm sure there will be times where I will have to repeat weeks.

My goals are to run as many 5ks as I can! And work up to 10k. I would also like to run a 5k in under 30 minutes. And my long term goal would be to run a marathon. I feel that would be such an accomplishment. I haven't signed up for a 5k yet since I'm having trouble finding one in my area except for one that's at the end of November, and I dont think I'll be ready.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    That isn't cheating summer, a lot of people skip to whatever week they can handle.
  • Summerleahd
    Summerleahd Posts: 314 Member
    That isn't cheating summer, a lot of people skip to whatever week they can handle.

I didn't really think so. But one person accused me of it, and kept going on and on about how I'll burn myself out if I don't follow the program...yadda yadda yadda..I know what I'm capable of, thanks for the concern :happy: Lol
  • You're not burning yourself just because you're starting further in the program! If you do the program everyday without breaking, THEN you may burn yourself out! Rest days are PART of the program! :) I'd be THRILLED to have been able to start further in the program! Unfortunately, Week 1 is still a big deal for me! LOL!