Where are you in the program? What else do you do?

Options

Replies

• LHann360
    LHann360 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I did stage 1 , week 2 workout B last night. I lift on Tu, Thu and Sat. On off days I do some type of cardio or class at the gym.

It's only week two so I am still figuring out what works best for me. It's exciting to have the new group here . If anyone is closer to the beginning and wants to friend me feel free to send a request. I like having someone to answer to.

I still have about 20 lbs. to lose, so I am hoping it will still happen with the program. It seems that there will be a lot water retention with muscle repair, so I will focus on the inches and try to stay away from the scale numbers for now. Hard to do, but I'll get out my rose colored glasses for the first month anyway. :glasses:
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    i'm starting stage 1 today! i have to admit i am a little nervous about bulking up (even though the author says not to worry about it or think about it in those terms!). i'm definitely going to push myself to the limit though. can't wait!!

Congratulations for starting this journey! You will NOT bulk up!!! Lifting heavy will make you look awesome and burn fat. Women will never look like a man because we don't have the levels of testosterone needed to do so.
  • tiger87lilly
    tiger87lilly Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I haven't offically started this program however I have been lifting weights for years. It's about time the truth comes out regarding weight lifting and women, we aren't built like men nor do we produce the nessesary hormones to look like them.

If I am pressed for time my go to workout has alway been weight!

I am planning to pick up the book today to see what kind of routines it has.......have fun everyone!
  • missxlaur
    Options

Congratulations for starting this journey! You will NOT bulk up!!! Lifting heavy will make you look awesome and burn fat. Women will never look like a man because we don't have the levels of testosterone needed to do so.

haha all i can say is i know some women who played hockey in college who DEFINITELY have bulked up like men. that's why i'm scared. hopefully they're part of that "genetic freak" category, and i'm not. haha.
  • idauria
    Options

haha all i can say is i know some women who played hockey in college who DEFINITELY have bulked up like men. that's why i'm scared. hopefully they're part of that "genetic freak" category, and i'm not. haha.

Women who bulk up like that spend hours in the gym or play sports. The goal of this book is not to add bulk. Muscular, yes, but you won't look like the Incredible Hulk!
  • Fitwam
    Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I started on Monday with Stage 1 Workout A. I am not sure I am doing ANYTHING right! First off, the gym had the olympic bar, but not anything I could do a seated row with...so I immediately got frustrated and just did a blitz circuit training.

I did the olympic bar (just the bar) for my squats. No one to spot me. I was a little nervous..but did it. I need to pay attention more to the alternative exercises so I won't get so confused.
    Going to go ahead with workout B tonight! I know the gym has lots of dumbbell weights.
    I am excited to start this journey back with weights.
    Admittedly was a little disappointed to up my calories net to 1500 this week and gained almost two pounds as of today. But I am not giving up! :-)
    Feeling stronger ROCKS!
  • missxlaur
    Options
    Women who bulk up like that spend hours in the gym or play sports. The goal of this book is not to add bulk. Muscular, yes, but you won't look like the Incredible Hulk!

i sure hope you're right! i used to be in the gym all the time too. i was a college athlete. but at the time i didn't have proper nutrition so i was just big. i hope that with this program and proper nutrition i'll be muscular but still feminine. yay.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I started on Monday with Stage 1 Workout A. I am not sure I am doing ANYTHING right! First off, the gym had the olympic bar, but not anything I could do a seated row with...so I immediately got frustrated and just did a blitz circuit training.

I did the olympic bar (just the bar) for my squats. No one to spot me. I was a little nervous..but did it. I need to pay attention more to the alternative exercises so I won't get so confused.
    Going to go ahead with workout B tonight! I know the gym has lots of dumbbell weights.
    Admittedly was a little disappointed to up my calories net to 1500 this week and gained almost two pounds as of today. But I am not giving up! :-)
    Feeling stronger ROCKS!

Does your gym have a power rack or squat rack? The racks should have the spotter bars that are there to stop the barbell from falling and hurting you if you are by yourself at the gym. If your gym has a cable machine, you can use it for rows. If not, you can use resistant bands, or do bent over rows.
  • Fitwam
    Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
    Options

Feeling stronger ROCKS!

Does your gym have a power rack or squat rack? The racks should have the spotter bars that are there to stop the barbell from falling and hurting you if you are by yourself at the gym. If your gym has a cable machine, you can use it for rows. If not, you can use resistant bands, or do bent over rows.

No power rack or squat rack. It does have the lat pull down nautilus (and like an idiot...kept looking at it thinking...I know something is around here I can do the seated rows with like that), but nothing. I did notice some resistance bands...so that will work! Appreciate your response! Just gotta get more creative! LOL
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I only just got the book so I've only done one workout. I've never sweated as much in a weights session!

I do need to grab a trainer to confidently select the right barbell weight and use the racks. The one step is always being used for something bizarre like a bench prop too! Smells funny in that corner too :P
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I am almost done with the program! I'm starting Phase 7 this friday. It's been fun! I remember being so intimidated by the weight room before, but not anymore... There aren't a lot of women using the weights at the gym where I work out, but I don't mind anymore :-) I've had a few guys come up to me and chat, looking sort of impressed a tiny girl could lift...

I'm the exacy same weight as I was before... Unfortunately! I was looking to gain weight, but the scale won't move. I lost some inches in hips/waist though, and my arms/shoulders look WAAAAY better than before (and more muscular, which I love). I'm stronger than ever and I feel amazing knowing I can eat 2000 cal a day and not feel guilty like I did in the past.

NROLW has really made a difference for me! I feel empowered, stronger, I don't have body issues... and I don't need to go through those awful "toning" classes anymore! I rarely even do cardio, even if I was a cardio queen before. I hit the Stair Mill once a week, at the MOST!

Ah well, I just wanted to share my love for NROLW! I'll be trying the Jamie Eason's Live Fit trainer next. I'm hoping to gain more! :-)
  • fitrunnermd
    Options
    I am almost done with the program! I'm starting Phase 7 this friday. It's been fun! I remember being so intimidated by the weight room before, but not anymore... There aren't a lot of women using the weights at the gym where I work out, but I don't mind anymore :-) I've had a few guys come up to me and chat, looking sort of impressed a tiny girl could lift...

I'm the exacy same weight as I was before... Unfortunately! I was looking to gain weight, but the scale won't move. I lost some inches in hips/waist though, and my arms/shoulders look WAAAAY better than before (and more muscular, which I love). I'm stronger than ever and I feel amazing knowing I can eat 2000 cal a day and not feel guilty like I did in the past.

NROLW has really made a difference for me! I feel empowered, stronger, I don't have body issues... and I don't need to go through those awful "toning" classes anymore! I rarely even do cardio, even if I was a cardio queen before. I hit the Stair Mill once a week, at the MOST!

Ah well, I just wanted to share my love for NROLW! I'll be trying the Jamie Eason's Live Fit trainer next. I'm hoping to gain more! :-)

Congrats on your progress! :flowerforyou:
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options

Love this post! Thanks for sharing - you're an inspiration!
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I did stage 1 , week 2 workout B last night. I lift on Tu, Thu and Sat. On off days I do some type of cardio or class at the gym.

It's only week two so I am still figuring out what works best for me. It's exciting to have the new group here . If anyone is closer to the beginning and wants to friend me feel free to send a request. I like having someone to answer to.

I still have about 20 lbs. to lose, so I am hoping it will still happen with the program. It seems that there will be a lot water retention with muscle repair, so I will focus on the inches and try to stay away from the scale numbers for now. Hard to do, but I'll get out my rose colored glasses for the first month anyway. :glasses:

I'm the same as you but one workout ahead. This is my restart though as last time my head wasn't in it and I was distrcated all the time. This time I'm loving it!!! I may be odd but i love squats, deadlifts and lunges. Workout B hurts me most of the 2 though.

I lift Monday, Wednesday and Friday. On non lifting days I will do cardio normally in the form of the cross trainer or concept 2 rower or a mix of HIIT on both. I think I'll figure in thursday as a day off and add cardio in on a saturday as I think 2 days off at the weekend is a long time.

Excited for stage 2
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options

Love this post! Thanks for sharing - you're an inspiration!

What an inspiration this post is, I thank you too for sharing :heart:
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    YEAH!!! A NROL4W group!!! I'm in stage 5. I know that through out the program I've stayed about the same weight, but I've dropped from a size 6 to a size 2/4, so something must be working. It's crazy, 'cause I always thought a 6 was tiny! I am not good about taking measurements. :(

I love this program!

I also bodyrock 2-3 times per week on my non NROL days.
    I do a spin class 1x per week.
    Sometimes I pull out an old Jillian DVD or pull up the Nike Training Club Ap on my iPod if I want to just change things up a bit.

I've gotten my hubby into lifting too, though I wish he'd leave the darn machines alone and start lifting free weights. Baby steps. He and I also run several locak 5K's and train for those.
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    YEAH!!! A NROL4W group!!! I'm in stage 5. I know that through out the program I've stayed about the same weight, but I've dropped from a size 6 to a size 2/4, so something must be working. It's crazy, 'cause I always thought a 6 was tiny! I am not good about taking measurements. :(

I love this program!

Sometimes I pull out an old Jillian DVD or pull up the Nike Training Club Ap on my iPod if I want to just change things up a bit.

I've gotten my hubby into lifting too, though I wish he'd leave the darn machines alone and start lifting free weights. Baby steps. He and I also run several locak 5K's and train for those.

Congrats!!!
    I also had to give some skirts because they were now too big for me... ! Those things don't lie, the scale does!! :P
  • idauria
    Options

I love this program!

That's quite an achievement! So when you say you bodyrock 2-3 times a week, what workouts are you doing? Do you choose random workouts from the website? I have been at the site before but I am having a hard time finding workouts I can do on my days off. I am looking for some HIIT stuff. I don't want anything high impact though because those off days are supposed to be for muscle recovery.
  • GertiLee
    GertiLee Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I just finished Stage 1 Workout B today. I really like it so far! I was nervous about the deadlifts today, I had no idea where to do them in the weight room. I'm glad I had the place to my self. I used the bar without any weight to try and get the correct form down. I have no idea how to put the weights onto the bar so I'll have to figure that out before next week.
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I just finished Stage 1 Workout B today. I really like it so far! I was nervous about the deadlifts today, I had no idea where to do them in the weight room. I'm glad I had the place to my self. I used the bar without any weight to try and get the correct form down. I have no idea how to put the weights onto the bar so I'll have to figure that out before next week.

I just put the bar on the floor, get my weights and put them on, one side at a time. I don't fuss with the clips that hold the weights in place, I'm not lifting that heavy and they stay on - no problem. Congrats on getting started!