Goals

Options
Chowder_17
Chowder_17 Posts: 141 Member
What's everyone's goals? Training to do well on a PT test? triatholan? marathon? etc

My orginal goal was training for my post-partum PT test, but since that is tomorrow, my next goal is to get back into 5K races and increase from there.

Replies

• greghuston76
    greghuston76 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Training to pass PT test. Struggling with the A/C and running after PCSing to high altitude. Can max pushups and almost max crunches. One month to retest.
  • Chowder_17
    Chowder_17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about high altitute. I'm stationed at Peterson AFB at 6,200ft. I think it's bs that they took away the high altitute adjustment.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I would like to be approved to stay in, but I doubt that will happen, at this point I'd just like to be able to do well on my last two PFAs and be in shape for when I become a civilian again.
  • greghuston76
    greghuston76 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Chowder- I am Kirtland. A little over 5000'
    Emily- What approval do you need?
  • ejohndrow
    Options
    @greghuston76-Since the branches are a bit full the navy has something called Perform to Serve, or PTS. In the past I've failed the weigh-in on 2 PT tests which puts me at a disadvantage when they look over your accomplishments throughout your enlistment to decide whether you stay in or not. Last month we were told that 11 people from 2009 (when I enlisted) were being approved to keep the same job, 1 person is being approved to change jobs. It's just a whole big thing that is ridiculous. Also, we get 6 looks since there are people who get approved, denied, early out, or discharged for any other reason every month. It's not impossible to stay in-yet the odds aren't in my favor.

It's not like I can lose weight and get approved to stay in, but I can lose weight and at least finish up my enlistment, although I would prefer to do 8 years active rather than 4 years active and 4 years reserve.
  • joannegabl
    joannegabl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i hear ya, emily; im navy too, so i understand the entire pts thing. but i dont have the same problem with weight...at least not yet. ive always been right on the cusp of failing because of my weight, and thats why im here. im tired of being stressed over it. the best advice i can give is to really use this tool to pay attention to your fat intake. stay at the goal they set for you on this site, and make sure you exercise with BOTH cardio and weights. it should be so simple, right?! :wink:

my goal is to get an outstanding on my next pfa! i was just shy of an excellent, and if i push for the outstanding then i wont be too disappointed if i only get an excellent! and i want to fit back into some really cute clothes, otherwise, they're going to waste.
  • ejohndrow
    Options
    My failures were cycle 2 of 2009, and cycle 1 of 2010-cycle 1 of 2010 having been a month after both my grandparents died and I had to go back home 3 times within 3 months.

I've never gotten below a Medium High (although the categories have changed a bit now).

I've gotten Excellent on the past 2 PFAs and I've passed the last 3.

I understand that I have to conform to the Navy's standards and I would like to tone up, but when I can do as many push-ups, and more sit-ups than a 20 year old male, but he's in standards so he passes and I'm not so I fail, it's a little annoying.
  • joannegabl
    joannegabl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where you're coming from. But it sounds like you're on the up and up! They are going to see your progress and take that into consideration. Keep focused on what your goals are, and keep doing what you're doing to pass your PFA. You'll be fine. If you allow yourself to get stressed, like you did when your grandparents died, you could find yourself losing sight of your goals.

Where are you stationed, Emily?
  • Sam_Hain
    Sam_Hain Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    First goal is to maintain my excellent on my FA and get max points on my waist.

Second goal after that is to run a half marathon and/or get my 1.5 mile run to under 11 min.

Third goal eventually is to reach a full marathon and/or get my 1.5 mile run to about 10:30.
  • tscampbell
    tscampbell Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think I have reached my goals. I started out just to lose SOME weight, weighing 187.5 with a 38 inch waist, I didnt know it would take me to lose 35+ lbs.

I broke my ankle in Dec 2010 and then had cartlidge surgery 6 months afterward, (on cruthces for 7 months straight) so all I could do is watch calorie intake. I found out in the first month thats all it really takes to lose weight is watch what you put into your body. April 2011 I started MFP and lost 18ish lbs the first month and 6 months later I had lost a total of almost 30 lbs and 5 inches off my waist. I healed from surgerys and Oct 2011 started in the gym always mindful of calories. As of Dec 2011 I have lost 35ish lbs and 6.5 inches off my waist. I am now at 154 lbs with a 31.5 inch waist. I can run under 12 min mile and half, 60 crunches and 50 push-ups in a min.

I truely believe if you just watch what you eat and follow MFP you will lose weight. I didnt work out, didnt run, didnt go to the gym at all and lost 30 lbs. If anyone doubts that MFP doesnt work friend me and I will be happy to tell you otherwise!
  • ejohndrow
    Options
    Before my goal was to run and just be able to pass-hopefully with a 'good', after this practice prt I saw that I was less than a minute from the 'excellent' category-so that is my new goal; to get an 'excellenct' on my PRT with a run and not just doing the elliptical.
  • jill92787
    jill92787 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My goal is to pass with a "good" for an 18 year old male. I'm sick of people complaining about females having different standards for PRT, and I really want to prove that I can do just as well as the boys. I won't hit that goal this time, unfortunately, since I'm still recovering from a car accident where I fractured my neck last summer, but I really need to pass this PRT within my "lesser" female standards since the last 2 have been waived... The run is always the hardest part for me, I'm slow as molasses. Next fall though, that's my goal!
  • ejohndrow
    Options
    I love reading old posts and realizing how stupid I look when I can't spell.

Anyway, when is your PRT Jill? I'd hoped to do well on this weigh-in and the run (I haven't actually run it in about 3 years, since A-school). But since spraining my ankle a couple of weeks ago, now I'll just be happy to pass it :/
  • aesing01
    aesing01 Posts: 3
    Options
    My goal is to become a personal trainer. Before joining the Navy I lost 95 lbs and that was an amazing accomplishment because I was heavy all my life. I'm seperating from the Navy in 5 months and I want to keep up the healthy lifestyle!! Thank goodness I'm married to an active duty member, because gym memberships can be expensive. Gotta love free gyms!!! I'm not interested in being super skinny but healthy!!!
  • jill92787
    jill92787 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I love reading old posts and realizing how stupid I look when I can't spell.

Anyway, when is your PRT Jill? I'd hoped to do well on this weigh-in and the run (I haven't actually run it in about 3 years, since A-school). But since spraining my ankle a couple of weeks ago, now I'll just be happy to pass it :/

My weigh in is on Wednesday and my PRT is the following Thursday (April 12). I just want to pass well and not get put on FEP haha. Since I had to fight just to stay in the Navy, I'm pretty proud of the fact that I'm still here and that I have a fighting chance at least! I hate when people think I can't do something, it just makes me want it that much more.
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I want to max my PT test. Sit ups and push ups I can, but I hate running and need to start picking it up there.
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    To not be the most out-of-shape person at basic (I'm in the DEP). To graduate with honors, at least, and that includes my PT exam!
  • ejohndrow
    Options
    To not be the most out-of-shape person at basic (I'm in the DEP). To graduate with honors, at least, and that includes my PT exam!
    No matter what branch you're in, being in shape definitely helps. At the age of 27, 2 months from being 28 I walked into the recruiters office and started the process of signing up. A week later I'd been through MEPS and 2 weeks later I was at boot camp.
    I got through boot camp, but it was tough. I'd never been a runner, I was never into sports in school. And I kept telling myself, 'well I'll eventually get better at this stuff.' I have, but it's taken a few years to finally get better at the physical fitness and meanwhile I gained about 20lbs so now it's hard to stay within weight standards.

Long story short, keep working at it, do what you can now and stick to it.
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I am currently training for my first bikini fitness competition! One month to go!
  • candy_mcswole
    candy_mcswole Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    ^^ You look great!!! Good luck!

I want to beast out om my next PT eval, and someday bench press my husband. Yeeaah buddy.
    But mostly I want to lose the weight and tone it up- because no one REALLY respects a chubby Airman. No matter how well you do your job if you look like crap in uniform people are going to automatically perceive you as a bag of crap.