Dating/Meeting People and What Not

Options
scapez
scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
If you're single and either looking for or hoping to meet your potential partner, do you have strategies? Plans? Or do you just go with the flow and hope that *THE LOVE OF YOUR LIFE* (insert rainbows here) will find you...someday?

Replies

• savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I am certainly open to looking to meet someone. But, the key is now I have so much more confidence than I used to. I have dated this guy a few times that I really like, who I gave my card to on an airplane! (yes, I met him on Southwest airlines, he sat next to me). He never asked for my number, I just handed him my card and told him to contact me if he ever wanted to hang out. I have gotten three dates out of it so far. :laugh: I am still single though, trying to meet other people all the time. Just being open and putting yourself out there. Maybe next month when the gym I joined opens I can meet some people there too. :laugh:
  • scapez
    Options
    A friend of mine gave me a link; fitness-singles.com. MIght be worth checking out at some point. Savvy, that's great that you met someone on an airplane, that kind of thing *never* happens to me!
  • complete_tease
    complete_tease Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I had a plan. Joined a couple of dating sites. Wow I just met old guys and freaks. And then I meet someone on here...lol. so yeah who knows!
  • scapez
    Options
    I had a plan. Joined a couple of dating sites. Wow I just met old guys and freaks. And then I meet someone on here...lol. so yeah who knows!

Yeah, that's my plan too - join a site to meet freaks. Hopefully I'll be saved from that before too long! :laugh:
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Dating sites have never worked for me either. :ohwell:
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I've recently given up on dating sites. I met a guy that I dated for 2.5 years on a soccer management site, then was in a long distance relationship for 3 months with a guy I met on an MMO, so I guess I work better the non-traditional (since dating sites are becoming "traditional" in this day and age) way? :huh: Ah well, something will come someday. Maybe? :grumble:
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I have done dating websites (mainly okcupid.com) and have gone on many dates, some were freaks on the first date. Some didn't show their freak until the second date (or rudeness until then). I have met three boyfriends from okcupid though, in the past, they just didn't work out in the long haul. For the near future though, I am going to try to use my confidence to meet more men in person. :bigsmile: I carry cards with me all the time, since I have done it once on an airplane (and have asked guys to dance with me at dance clubs), I have no worry that I won't be able to do it again.

Really, just put yourself out there. The worst that will happen is the guy will never contact you or turn out to be not worth your time in the long run. :smile:
  • PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I've been on a couple dating sites since May and while I've met 2 people that I didn't click with, it's been a dry well since August. My problem is I work from home so I'm home all the time! I work at home, I workout at home, etc..At my age (45) I don't have a lot of friends that go to bars anymore and I just don't know where else I'd meet someone.
  • scapez
    Options
    I agree, you just have to put yourself out there, whether it's a group of people with the same interests as you (I plan on joining a local running club soon), your church, or whatever. If you pair that up with a decent dating site, hopefully that gives you a decent shot at finding someone nice.
  • rockthehourglass
    rockthehourglass Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    So so many freaks! I just deleted my dating profiles, I give up on the internet. Meeting people out and about is hard for me too. Always seems like the same people everywhere I go (small town), and anyone who shows interest is married, 9 times out of 10. For now I'm just trying to focus on school and my kids, because actually looking frustrates the heck out of me. It'll happen on it's own someday. Maybe? lol
  • PedmomJill
    Options
    That's what I did Rock. My last relationship ended six years ago and I just had had it with dating/boyfriends. I focused on my sons and I'm so glad I did. Putting them first in my life was worth putting my personal relationship status on hold. Now they are 19 and 22 and I'm ready to date, but not having luck on the internet thing and I don't go to bars, and I work from home. Tough to meet anyone. Hopefully someday.
  • rockthehourglass
    rockthehourglass Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    That's what I did Rock. My last relationship ended six years ago and I just had had it with dating/boyfriends. I focused on my sons and I'm so glad I did. Putting them first in my life was worth putting my personal relationship status on hold. Now they are 19 and 22 and I'm ready to date, but not having luck on the internet thing and I don't go to bars, and I work from home. Tough to meet anyone. Hopefully someday.
    It's been six years for me too! Goes by so fast. It will happen. Have you ever tried speed dating? That was FUN when I tried it. Didn't meet anyone interesting lol...but still fun. You never know!
  • PedmomJill
    Options
    Really? It always seemed like it would be somewhat creepy. I have a single friend; maybe I can get her to go with me if I find a local one. Thanks for the tip!
  • jaxnjojosmama
    jaxnjojosmama Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Me too... my kids are 6 and 9, and there just isn't enough time to give them as much attention as I want to, and date as well. I've tried different dating sites over the last few years, and I don't think I ever kept a profile up longer than a month or two... I hit the same thing, too many creeps/freaks! I decided that all the good guys were staying away from dating sites! So for now I'm focusing on getting myself healthy and enjoying my kids, and if I happen to meet someone who intrigues me... well... who knows?
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I'm going with flow of things... :)
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

Me too. I find so many people untrustworthy and back stabbing. Makes me extremely gun shy. I'm not as naive as I used to be, but I still am too trusting of others. :embarassed:
  • zozilla09
    zozilla09 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm finally trying to get myself to where I'm happy with "me"....then I'm hoping Mr. Right will show up at my doorstep in Wranglers, a cowboy hat and boots...and of course....on an AQHA horse. hehe I know....but hey...a girl can dream eh?
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options

ditto. I've done online dating and that hasn't worked out very well for me so I'm just taking a breather.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options

Me too. I find so many people untrustworthy and back stabbing. Makes me extremely gun shy. I'm not as naive as I used to be, but I still am too trusting of others. :embarassed:

ditto. I've done online dating and that hasn't worked out very well for me so I'm just taking a breather.

I am open to most things...but because I only had one boyfriend ever, I just dont know what to do....I am also very shy...and I take my time with things......Although I must admit I like love and stuff lol...I think it would be great....but of course.....I am going with the flow of things :)
  • PedmomJill
    Options
    I'm finally trying to get myself to where I'm happy with "me"....then I'm hoping Mr. Right will show up at my doorstep in Wranglers, a cowboy hat and boots...and of course....on an AQHA horse. hehe I know....but hey...a girl can dream eh?
    f

Dream on, Zo! Life isn't fun without dreams!