Introductions

Options
I'm Lyndsay. :) I am lactose intolerant, allergic to coconut and red food dye, and am possibly gluten sensitive (I was on a pretty much gluten-free diet for 6 months last year and had NO digestive problems - which all came back when I ate "normal").

A range of food allergies runs in my family (strawberries, shellfish, egg whites, lactose intolerance, capsacin), so I figured there needed to be a place for us to come and talk about our allergies.

Replies

• Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    gluten-intolerant! I've been off gluten since August. I ate some peanut sauce with wheat in it on Saturday thinking "Oh, it's just a little... couldn't hurt." It hurt. A lot. Hi. I'm Shanni.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I can eat most foods, but I am sensitive to milk. I have to be very careful about how much I have, including milk ingredients such as whey.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I have celiac disease ..with it came a big list of food intolerences including gluten, dairy, soy, legumes, sunflower/safflower . I also have to eat low grain. I have found I can tolerate raw grassfed cream and butter.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Nicole and am Celiac as well. I also have a bit of lactose intolerance which is a side effect of not eating GF for a long time with Celiac! Thanks for starting this group!
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Jenna. I'm red dye intolerant. I used to think I was allergic, but my doctor recently explained to me that it is an intolerance.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Cory.

I am allergic to milk (not lactose intolerant... ALL milk products make me pretty horrifically ill) and recently found out I have a gluten intolerance as well.
    Fortunately, because I am accustomed to reading labels carefully and make most of my food from scratch anyway because of my milk allergy, going gluten free really hasn't been that hard (although it has only been 2 1/2 weeks so far).

On a side note, I am also highly allergic to artichokes, but those don't show up in recipes very often so they aren't hard to avoid.
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm Mili and I'm allergic to cow's milk and some other dairy products. It sucks. I am really bad at sticking to it, and consequently spend more time than I would like with my throat partially closed up and various other gross bodily failings. I am still trying to figure out exactly what I am allergic to, so far I know I can't handle anything with cow's milk plus sheep's yoghurt. Goat milk products seem to be ok, as does sheep's cheese.

On top of that I don't eat meat or seafood so my diet is pretty limited!
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Hi - I am allergic to animal fat, including butter and cream, so I don't eat red meats, butter, cream or sour cream. However once it is altered by bacteria I can eat it so cream cheese, cheeses and yogurt are okay. I am sensitive to nightshade vegetables (tomatoes, bell peppers and eggplant) and because I have IC I need to avoid acidic foods. Sometimes I wonder with all that how I managed to find enough food to be overweight :laugh:
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Welcome to everyone!!
  • 16mixingbowls
    16mixingbowls Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I am still trying to figure out exactly what I am allergic to.
    Sometimes I wonder with all that how I managed to find enough food to be overweight :laugh:

I can identify with both of you! I know I'm Celiac, and also need to avoid iodine because of DH (from my celiac) so I avoid dairy and seafood and additives such as carageenan. I feel like I'm okay, but then something sets off my symptopms and I'm left wondering WHAT I ATE!?!?!?!!? Seriously, some days I feel like I need to eat only bananas and rice. :frown:

I put my poor boyfriend through H@ll trying to find a restaurant to go to. I try and eat organic/non GMO so when we go out, I spend an hour or so reading online menus and yelp reviews and cross-checking this with my limitations. Because of this neuroticism, we only go to a few places over and over. (Shout out to Phil's BBQ in San Diego!)

Some days I feel consumed with all of this 'thinking' about food. Like I'm a little obsessed. Does anyone else feel this way??
  • AllisonMart
    AllisonMart Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Allison. I have Celiac and have been gluten-free for 3 years. It's hard sometimes when everyone is eating pizza in a lunch meeting and I have to sit and watch them, but I feel so good now that there is no way I'd ever go back to eating gluten. I think I've probably had it since puberty and just didn't know. My GF life is so much better!
  • AllisonMart
    AllisonMart Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Some days I feel consumed with all of this 'thinking' about food. Like I'm a little obsessed. Does anyone else feel this way??

Yes! I felt that way for over a year whenI first went GF. It was all I could think about. "What can I eat? What's in that? Where is the evil gluten hiding in this food? I want a donut so much! What am I going to make for dinner? How can I make grandma's coffee cake recipe gluten free?"

It does get better, trust me. I'm not ruled by food anymore. It just takes time. You'll learn the ropes and get more confidence and feel better too.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Coyla. Like my username. :) I've been lactose intolerant for awhile, but I'm new to the idea that I may be intolerant to other foods.

I started cutting out foods a month ago. Soy caused the biggest reaction. Being exposed to it caused something like a high until I started withdrawing. Then I hit depression, rage, anxiety, anger. Withdrawing also caused an acne outbreak, and the pimples hang around for about 3 weeks. (I rarely, if ever, get pimples, so this was really noticeable for me.)

After a couple days of going soy free, my mood regulated. I started dropping the water weight, and the swelling in my legs went down. I've had swollen ankles and feet for 2 years now! I didn't even realize it until I saw how skinny my feet seemed to look without all that water!

But soy is in everything. I'm in a funk today, because I grabbed a cough drop yesterday for my cold. Turns out, cough drops have soy! I gained a pound of weight, and I have two new pimples to deal with, all from one little innocent cough drop.
  • myfitnessprogress
    Options
    When you ate gluten free, could you consume dairy products?
  • rana_bear
    Options

Me to. Although i enjoy it so i don't mind so much. Does get annoying though when we go out 4 dinner and i spend ages going over the menu (if i haven't already checked it online). I'm gluten free, dairy free, and low grains/refined sugars. Heaps of restaurants are now gluten aware but often those meals contain dairy also. My partner thinks i should print out a list of questions and explanations regarding my intolerances to hand to the waiter when we go out to eat. Easy options are steak, roast or grilled fish with a serve of vegies.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options

I didn't. I still don't eat a lot of dairy even though I've added gluten "stuff" back in to my diet. I can handle small quantities of cheeses and sour cream, but regular yogurt makes me live in the bathroom. I recently found the Whole Foods has lactose-free yogurt and the one I tried was AH-MAZING...and I wasn't in pain.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options

I didn't. I still don't eat a lot of dairy even though I've added gluten "stuff" back in to my diet. I can handle small quantities of cheeses and sour cream, but regular yogurt makes me live in the bathroom. I recently found the Whole Foods has lactose-free yogurt and the one I tried was AH-MAZING...and I wasn't in pain.
    I recently learned that dairy and gluten intolerances/allergies often go hand in hand, so a lot of people with one will also have issues with the other. Mine was the opposite - I used to be able to consume gluten even though I was dairy free, but now I don't have either.
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Hello, I just joined. I'm one of those nut people. I can have coconut and that's about it. Other nuts and traces of give me big problems.

I come from a family rampant with food allergies. My mother is intolerant of eggs, my father is allergic to eggs, salmon, cod, and fatty fish, my aunt is intolerant of wheat/gluten, my brother is lactose intolerant, and two of my cousins have the nut allergy as well, though we all react a little differently.
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Hello all!! I'm allergic to peanuts... supposed to carry an epi-pen at all times, since I've had symptoms of anaphylaxis in the past (hives, wheezing, and low BP).

When I was younger, I was allergic to eggs, milk, wheat, peanuts, and blue dye (weird, yes?). I've grown out of all those except the peanuts... but also developed some mild sensitivities to soy and lentils in the meantime. Sometimes I eat them and I'm fine, other times they give me a sharp pain in my chest... if that makes sense!! I think it's my lower esophagus causing the pain.

At this point I'm pretty much used to living with the peanut allergy, so it's not a huge deal... but it's tough to find snacks that are high protein!
  • just_dad
    just_dad Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am Cory. I am allergic to Chicken, Turkey and all white fish. I am not allergic to Salmon though. All of these allergies have slowly become worse over the years. As a 18 year old I went into anaphylaxis and as the ER doctor said I was minutes away from having a stroke.