Welcome!!

Options
Hey, just so we can know each other a bit...

I live in Tennessee at the moment, originally from Northern VA and a few places in between, do local day hiking and a lot of weekend hiking/backpacking in the Smokies. I grew up in a big family and including three brothers- with so many kids (read: not a lot of money), our vacations were almost always hiking and camping...that is where it all began for me. = )

Each year, I plan a 3-5 day backpacking trip for spring, summer, and fall...only day hiking in the winter (yeah, not a big fan of freezing!) My spring trip will be in the Smokies in the NC region. Summer trip in Colorado outside of Bolder with me and my sisters and the Teton Crest in Wyoming for the fall. It's basically where I spend all my vacation time each year and always gives me something to look forward to as I plan.

When did you get into hiking? Where do you like to hike?

Replies

• scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I live south of Munich, Germany in the foothills of the Alps so naturally I love to hike, ski, mountain bike, basically anything outdoors at this point. I've already climbed the tallest mountain in Germany (3000m) so I do a lot of my hiking in Switzerland and Austria. I'm looking at several 4000m peaks for next season. I particularly like hikes where there are climbing/rock wall sections.

I started to hike on a whim actually. My now ex-boyfriend invited me along (on a hike way above my skill level) and I just fell in love with climbing mountains. There's really nowhere else I'd rather be. We've since broken up, but I'm not planning on letting that stop me. In fact, we still hike together quite often. I'm really hoping to do some trekking in South America and in the Himalayas eventually, but right now I'm just sticking to the Alps.
  • dmacilveen
    dmacilveen Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey! I started backpacking as a boyscout in East Tennessee and continued the passion into my adult life. I've spent many nights on the endless mountain trails and rivers of Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama and Florida. I'm currently living in Florida and spend most of my time doing short day trips now but hope to do more backpacking soon as my kids are getting older and will be able to tagg along soon.
  • GreenLifeGirl
    GreenLifeGirl Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Oh, to be that close to the Alps...for hiking and skiing! I am hoping to get there within the next 3-5 years, depending on when I can afford it. Would love to see photos if you have any! = )
  • scarletleavy
    Options
    Here are a few of my favorites photos:

*Not sure how to resize

DSC_5646.jpg

DSC_5647.jpg

DSC_5853.jpg

DSC_2095.jpg
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Scarlet, your photos are gorgeous! I am lucky enough to live in Colorado with tons of hiking within a few miles. I love to backpack and camp in the summer but my backpacking buddy and I just broke up so I'm afraid I won't be doing much camping this coming summer. :sad:
  • GreenLifeGirl
    Options
    Wow, Scarlet....these photos are breathtaking and inspiring...so wish I could join you on the Alps. ; ) Not much of a rock climber, but these definitely make it look enticing. Hmm...once I get home from the office, may try to upload some of my hiking photos to share...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Scarlet, I :heart: your photos! :love:

I live in northeast PA, not exactly in, but not far from, the Poconos. No mountains like Scarlet's around here, but lots of wooded trails, streams and lakes. And since I started running, I discovered some decent trails that start less than a mile from my house, so when I don't run on them, I like to take the dog for a hike. Most people wouldn't consider a Pekingese to be a good hiking companion, but he does a good job! His name is Beavis (and it suits him entirely too well) and he's a 7 year old one-eyed rescue. We've had him about 5 years.

From yesterday...

IMG_2666.jpg
    He won't go *around* any puddle we see, but he'll hide if I say the word, "bath."

IMG_2705.jpg
    Beavis getting lost in a pile of leaves.

IMG_2695.jpg
    To quote Jane's Addiction, "Coming down the mountain!"

IMG_2724.jpg
    After about 4 miles, I was surprised he still had energy to run across a field.

IMG_2731.jpg
    But when we got home, he was like, "Mommy tried to kill me!"
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I live in Maine- so any place in Maine/NH is good with me :)
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting the group. Two things I enjoy very much are hiking and bicycling. Each has its own unique rewards. I’ve been doing both as long as I can remember, despite years here and there when I have not been able to do them as much as I wanted (or needed) to do.

One of my favorite places in the world is the Red River Gorge Geological Area. It’s a several-hour drive for me to get there, so I don’t go as often as I like, but when I do, I never, ever regret it. I explore all kinds of trails there but one I admire a lot is Auxier Ridge:

DSC0077-M.jpg

I love to hike in silence, listening to everything around me, relaxed and payin attention. I love the smells, particularly the pine needles up high. And I love the total restorative feeling I get while I am hiking, like everything else in the world just doesn’t matter, and I am where I should be.

Happy trails!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

All of the pictures are beautiful. I wish I could travel and go hikin in some of those places! There are a few areas I love to go hikin @ around my area but never have ppl to go with me:brokenheart:
  • scarletleavy
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

All of the pictures are beautiful. I wish I could travel and go hikin in some of those places! There are a few areas I love to go hikin @ around my area but never have ppl to go with me:brokenheart:

Don't be afraid to go alone! I do some hiking alone and I've found that other hikers/climbers are some of the most friendly welcoming people I've ever met. Every single hike I've ever gone on I've always made new friends with people along the way.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I used to worry about hiking or trail running alone, but now I just take my cell with me.

Falling and breaking a leg when out alone worries me more than any kind of stranger danger, because, let's face it... the chances of someone lurking in the woods on the off chance that someone happens by is very slim. Someone is more likely to follow me home from the grocery store. :tongue: And I also know I'm far more likely to hurt myself at home than I am while out hiking or running.

And besides... I have Beavis for protection. :huh:
  • GreenLifeGirl
    Options
    Thanks for starting the group. Two things I enjoy very much are hiking and bicycling. Each has its own unique rewards. I’ve been doing both as long as I can remember, despite years here and there when I have not been able to do them as much as I wanted (or needed) to do.

One of my favorite places in the world is the Red River Gorge Geological Area. It’s a several-hour drive for me to get there, so I don’t go as often as I like, but when I do, I never, ever regret it. I explore all kinds of trails there but one I admire a lot is Auxier Ridge:

I love to hike in silence, listening to everything around me, relaxed and payin attention. I love the smells, particularly the pine needles up high. And I love the total restorative feeling I get while I am hiking, like everything else in the world just doesn’t matter, and I am where I should be.

Happy trails!

broadsword7, cannot believe you posted about the Gorge! I am actually headed there today after work (a bit of drive from mid tn)....have a hiking/retreat weekend with my best friends that we do every year and its beautiful there in the fall. Use to go to school in Louisville and a group of us hiked there all the time. Will post pictures when I get back. = )
  • GreenLifeGirl
    Options
    hey goalseeker, I agree with scarlet, don't be afraid to hike alone. Just know where you are hiking and its safety history, bring your cell, and start with shorter days hikes to get you started...perhaps you might have some good local parks with some trails. Generally, I find hiking people very nice and considerate of others, too. Plus, I would ask around, you never know when one of your friends will fall in love with hiking...if you get them started. = )

LorinaLynn, love these pics of your dog...we have scottish terriers and they are awesome on hikes, whenever we can find dog-friendly trails.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Totally wrote my hiking history and experience in the other thread, but here are some Fall pictures. Unfortunately, the vibrant colors and picture quality have been compromised a bit in order to share. I have an entire collection and short descriptions of my adventures at www.facetothesunshine.blogspot.com

29zvf9l.jpg

21acnph.jpg

2ztd4p3.jpg

2m5ijr8.jpg

27ytq94.jpg

bjbyaw.jpg

[img]]http://i53.tinypic.com/k4ezxf.jpg[/img]
  • JimHeid
    JimHeid Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Great to have this group! I'm 59, Iive in VT but love the white mtns, just across the river in NH. Nothing like getting above treeline. Used to live in Switz and love scarlet's pictures. Wish I could go back!
  • JimHeid
    JimHeid Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    totally beautiful photos!!
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options

IMG_2724.jpg
    After about 4 miles, I was surprised he still had energy to run across a field.

This is the epitome of happiness. Looks like a great day for you and your cute little fur ball. :smile:
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    broadsword7, cannot believe you posted about the Gorge! I am actually headed there today after work (a bit of drive from mid tn)....have a hiking/retreat weekend with my best friends that we do every year and its beautiful there in the fall. Use to go to school in Louisville and a group of us hiked there all the time. Will post pictures when I get back. = )

GreenLifeGirl, have a great weekend at the Gorge! I grew up in Louisville, went to grade school, high school and college there. I was always making trips out there, and still do to this day.

The photo above was from a day hike there on Oct. 29. There are few more here:
    http://virtualdrifting.smugmug.com/Other/October-29-2011/19803448_tWTf4L/
  • TrekkerCynthia
    TrekkerCynthia Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Getting back into hiking so nice to have this group. Not sure how to post pics though. I have two different climates, I mainly live in Las Vegas, but hubby and I spend summers in Bend, Oregon and will retire there eventually. We both grew up in Colorado and I do miss the hiking there, but Bend is pretty darn close (central Cascades). Vegas offers Red Rock Park which is petrified sand dunes, Mt Charleston (actually has a ski area), and Zion of you don't mind a 3 hour drive. Bend is what you would expect from a mountainous area with lava rock thrown in for extra fun. I loved the pictures and hope to figure that out soon so I can add some of my own.