home made protein shake

FINALLY I found something pretty awsome. 1 container adkins vanilla protein shake, 1/2 banana, 1/2 serving frozen strawberries mixed in blender. I feel like I'm eating ice cream when it's on the frozen side somewhat. Why didn't I try this last week? For everyone with protein drink problems, mix fruit, or yogurt, and a little bit of fruit into your protein drink. It will do wonders for you!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    None of thoese pre-made shakes are really the type of protein you want if you're post-op. Whey protein isolate is most easily absorbed and causes less bloating. You do not want whey concentrate, blends, casein, soy etc. Not mention, all of the pre-made shakes cost more.

Get yourself a good jug of vanilla whey protein isolate and make your shake. You an still add your fruit. (banana is one of the worst ones to add though -- -try blueberries, blackberries etc)
  • My nutritionist was fine with me getting pre made and my office sells them also. I got premade for tjose times I dont habe energy to make a shake or when I want to grab something quick, that way I grab the right thing. I'm glad you found something that works for you. You should get some mix though they taste sooo much better. Try a few samples and find one that fits your pallette. I like Gnc Amp right now.

You should Google protein shake recipes you will find some amazingly yummy recipes. One of my favorite places I've found recipes and inspired me to make my own is theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com.

Today I made a pb&j shake because I so wanted to eat my boys sandwiches today.

Scoop of cookies & cream protein, 1 TBS pb and 1 TBS jelly (strawberries are better for you)

Okay so I so need to buy PB2 so I can use that in my recipes instead and I'm allowed extra calories since I'm on my liquid only diet right now. You can use fruit or sugar free jam to be good.
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    You can drink any of those types of protein....Whey Isolate is the best in terms of absorption, but soy isolate, etc also work (just not as good).

I've been drinking EAS Carb Conscious Advantedge drinks and I love them. They taste good and they have 17 grams of protein per 11 ounce drink. And like 3 carbs only! :)
  • Thank you all for responding it really does help. I'm doing adkins because I've tried 5 different other brands, powders and ready made shakes and they just gagged me. I'll try again but with a blender now. :flowerforyou:
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    You are so new in your surgery that you're going to find a lot of things that gag you. I remember hating even the smell of coffee...which I loved and now love again. I think after about 6-8 months your taste buds settle down. I'm glad that you found something you like. I had the worst time finding a protein powder that I could choke down. Because of this (and probably from my hyperthyroid as well) I had extreme hair loss.

Keep up the great work!
  • serenity920
    serenity920 Posts: 31 Member
    Happy Firday Lovely Ladies,
    I am reading this drinking my Protein Frappachino and rememebring the early days of Post op....
    SO anyway the best thing to do is buy small containers of many kinds of proteins, individual servings if possible and experiment. My daily routine is now 1 scoop pure whey, 6 oz yesterdays coffee, ground flax and if unflavored protein then a bit of agave and some 1/2 & 1/2 blend with a few ice cubes and enjoy.

Chocolate protein is the yummiest (add a touch of pumpkin pie spice) but vanilla is great too.

I am 5 years out and this is the old standby, tried and true, works everytime. When I get away from it i eat badly, and i gain weight. It's that simple.

Hope that helps
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    And don't throw away anything you bought and can't stand the taste of! Wait a year and try it again. You'll be amazed at how your tastes change!

I have to start my day with a protein shake every day or I also make bad choices and gain weight.

Now that the snow has started to fly, I have turned my protein shakes into protein lattes so that I don't turn into a big ice cube! Lot's of ways to do this. I make a pumpkin protein latte where I heat 12 oz of unsweetened almond milk and a 1/2 cup Libby's pure pumpkin on the stove with a heavy dash of pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon. While this is heating I mix a 1/2 cup of strong coffee with a couple of splendas and a capful of vanilla. When it's lukewarm I mix in a scoop of either vanilla or plain protein powder until smooth and then I added to the almond milk mixture. Heat just until steaming (don't let it boil or it thickens). Enjoy in a large mug with a little lite whip and a sprinkle of nutmeg!

I've also made a mocha latte this way with choc protein powder and skipping the pumpkin. You can do pretty much any flavor that you find in a coffee shop!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    I do not like protein shakes. I use Body Fortress Protein Shot (26 grams of protein) or Quest Bars (20 grams of protein and 16-18 grams of fiber).
  • Yes a blender or emirsion blender is a must! Plus add some ice and it will make it more like a shake.

Anybody tried Click protein before?
  • MSWDiet
    MSWDiet Posts: 399 Member
    TWO COMMENTS:

THE BEST KIND OF PROTEIN:

THERE ARE MANY VIEWS ON THE "BEST" PROTEIN. POLL WLS PATIENTS AND YOU WILL FIND AS MANY OPINIOJS AMONG THER DOCS AND NUTS AND YOU WILL PRE OP AND POST OP PLANS. USE THE PROTEINS AND RECIPIES THAT WORK WELL FOR YOU. JUST BE SURE TO USE COMPLETE PROTEINS FOR THE MAJORITY OF YOUR NUTRITION.

YOU WANT THE FULL AMINO ACIS PROFILE YOU WILL GET FROM REAL FOOD OVE THE LONG RUN. PROTEIN SUPPLEMENTS ARE A TRANSITION FOOD ALTHOUGH WE MAY CHOOSE TO CONTINUE TO USE THEM. THE BEST SOURCE OF PROTEIN IS PROTEIN RICH REAL FOODS. THIS SHOULD BE OUR LONG TERM GOAL.

ANOTHER WAY TO ENJOY A SHAKE:

THROW A QUART OF YOUR FAVORITE PROTEIN SHAKE IN AN ICE CREAM MAKER THEN FREEZE. HAVE YOUR PROTEIN AS A FROZEN TREAT.
  • MSWDiet
    MSWDiet Posts: 399 Member
    Yes a blender or emirsion blender is a must! Plus add some ice and it will make it more like a shake.

Anybody tried Click protein before?

I TRIED CLICK MOCHA JUST THIS WEEKEND AND IT WAS PRETTY GOOD. MY MORNING USUALLY BEGINS WITH A HOME BREWED MOCHA AND IT TASTED SIMILAR. GOOD COFFEE FLAVOR BUT NOT TOO SWEET.

I CAN'T TOLERATE DAIRY WELL SO THE WHEY WON'T WORK FOR ME. HOWEVER, IF IT WERRE NOT FOR ASTHMA I WOULD LIKELY BUY IT.