Full time work with full time school?

Options
VeganGal84
VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
Anyone else out there struggling with this situation?

OMG it's tough to work 40 hours a week and have a full time courseload. :sad:

I'm "only" taking 12 credits, but when you add in the study/homework time, I'm basically working two full time jobs.

Anyone else in this groupd doing the same thing? If so, I offer you my sympathies, because it is TOUGH.

Replies

• fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    yep. Plus I have two kids.
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I am! 5 classes and 2 jobs. and a house to maintain and workouts to do. it is exhausting
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Some days I want to cry, scream or sleep. Most days, I do a combination of all three!

I'm finding that to-do lists are my best friend. I always try to include gym time and factor in the amount of time I really have. Many times it's a "power hour" work out.

Keep your eyes on the prize! Right now sucks, but there is a big picture. Don't lose sight of it!
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    yep. Plus I have two kids.

Bless you. I have heard of people doing both PLUS kids, but I cannot even fathom it!
  • beachlove09
    beachlove09 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    yes! im a full time student with 19 units and i have two jobs... sometimes i feel like im on the edge because i never make time to relax.. not even sure if i know how to relax anymore! my family also gets really mad when i dont make enough time for them
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Wow! You guys are crazy... I can't even work while going to school. I really want to find an on campus job that is school friendly though. You all deserve tons of respect!
  • Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Oh Man....
    I am so sorry guys!

I am in 15 Credits, but only work 25-30 hrs. a week. I feel for you all!

Does anyone else HATE How work schedules and school schedules can never line up?1 Oh man, home from school at 9:30, then have to leave for work 5 am the next morning
  • EliRob
    EliRob Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hello! Working towards a Masters in Curriculum and Instruction for Secondary Education with a concentration in History. Yea and work full time on top of that :) Although I will say that I am taking it easy, and only going part time.... 1. because its expensive, 2. because I don’t have time for more than that!

I have major papers due, and instead of working on them I am at work, definitely sucks :/ At least my classes are online, next semester is all in person! I have a lot of ‘vacation time’ planned because of course class is at night – and I work NIGHTS! ::sigh::

Excited to be able to chat with others who 'know' the struggles of maintaining all of the things in our lives, especially the stress of work and school, while also trying to find health and balance.

Great group BTW
  • imsmellie
    imsmellie Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm at school from 6 or 7am to about 8 or 9pm, 7 days a week.... only 6 more months of madness for me though.
  • juicygurl1
    juicygurl1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    OMG, i hope this group will stay on my behind,...i have gained a great deal of weight since i started school..and it's on line!
  • bellydancefae
    Options
    For the past 3 years I've had 18-19 credits per semester, which doesn't even count all the outside rehearsal and performance time for dance and music classes. Then, last summer I added a semi-full-time job (20-30 hrs/wk). Scheduling has been insane, as I'm juggling so many different schedules (classes, dance, music, teaching, work). I will probably only have 12 credits this fall so I am hoping I can set up some good healthy eating and exercising habits. In the spring I will be doing my directed teaching, which will mean being at an elementary school from about 7am-3pm, and then work afterwards, so hopefully I'll be able to maintain it!

To give an idea of what my schedule was like this past semester:
    M classes 9am-4pm, work 5pm-11pm
    T classes 8am-11am, classes 4pm-9:30pm
    W classes 9am-4pm, work 5pm-11pm
    Th classes 9am-11am, classes 4pm-7pm, sometimes rehearsals or shows from 6pm-10pm
    F classes 9am-1pm, sometimes rehearsals or shows from 6pm-10pm
    Sa work 7am-3pm, sometimes rehearsals or shows from 6pm-10pm
    Su work 7am-3pm

Phew!
  • Neahpata
    Neahpata Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I worked full time and took a full course load when my classes were easier. I worked a 12 hour shift from 7p-7a. Some days I would be up over 24 hours at a time and then some to do everything that I needed to do. But now that I am getting into harder engineering classes I am not sure if I can pull off a full time job, keep up my grades, and still keep up a weight loss routine.
  • Sunnyday13
    Sunnyday13 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There's days where I can't believe I have to get out of bed. I have full time classes condensed into 11 weeks plus my internship and a that I have to work at least 25 hours. Such a pain. My schedule is all over the place working nights at work but then waking up at 5 am to get to class or my internship. Kind of why I like 24 hour workout places, no pressure on when they close.

Any one have any suggestions for possible short term effective workout routines that don't involve a gym?
  • angelam82
    angelam82 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I work full time (40) hours per week with a 1 hour commute each way. I am also studying 3 units per semester, which is equivalent to full time over here. They are online though. One is a prac unit which thankfully doesn't have any theory, but then I have 2 theories to go along with it.

During heavy assignment or exam time, the gym attendance does slip away, but there is only so much stress etc that I can handle at one time.
  • Zirkelbach56
    Zirkelbach56 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ohh I know the feeling. I work full time as an au pair which tends to add up to more than 40hrs/week (people are always telling me "why don't you just study while you work?" the answer is simple, because I can't. I'm payed to play, feed, bathe, put her to sleep, etc., not to study- though there wouldn't be time to do it anyway), I also work 10hrs/week at my school, teach english classes 4-5hrs/week, volunteer as a campus ambassador and take 6 classes :p blehhh. The nice part is, when you don't actually have any time, you're forced to manage it well. I have a really hard time finding the time and energy to exercise :( Any tips on staying motivated? I'm always exhausted by my daily schedule that the thought of going out and doing more is mind-boggling :p
  • OMG_Twinkies
    OMG_Twinkies Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    YES! I'm nearly done with grad school. Full time job 40 hrs + full time school 12 hrs + unpaid internship 15 hrs

UGH!!!!