Knee Injury - Advice appreciated!

Options
Anyone else experience any injuries while doing C25K? I admit that I was running every day instead of every other day (because I was previously a runner and have never had any trouble running every day), but I was fine doing 5 days of week 1, w/one day off, 5 days of week 2, w/one day off and then on day 2 of week 3 my knee started hurting and now I can't run hardly at all! I know it's probably "runner's knee" or ITBS, but I'm itching to get back out and run and going crazy!

Anyone else in a similar spot? Have any advice?

Replies

• adammccrady
    adammccrady Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'd just say to take it much easier. I'm a new runner myself, but everything I keep reading says to take it slow and to get plenty of rest in between runs. I was also pushing myself pretty hard in weeks 1-3, and have since held myself back a bit, but my runs are now improving and I feel great. I'll push myself hard for an interval every once in awhile, but not for a whole run anymore.

Be patient and try it out. Let your knee rest/heal first, but once you get back into it, try it.
  • _Johanna_
    _Johanna_ Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I had all kinds of knee problems though out my C25k runs - made me take all summer to get to where I am now, in the last week! It is so frustrating to have to sit and wait for a knee to feel better! Finally, I went to see a doctor, who gave me a slew of exercises and stretches to do on a daily basis. I've been going strong for about 4 weeks now (where before two weeks was my limit before my knee would start bugging me again)!

So...I would 1. Wait for your knee to feel completely better before running again and 2. Google some exercises and stretches that help runners with knee problems and start doing those daily. If that doesn't help, go see your doctor who will probably have some better ideas on what stretches and exercises you can do. Oh...and DEFINITELY give yourself a day of rest in between your runs. It's a lot of stress you are putting on your joints and muscles...they need some time to recover!

Good luck! :)
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I've spent a lot of time over the years dealing with knee/ankle issues, thanks to my bad feet.

First off, your body needs time to heal. Especially when starting out, you need to give more than just your muscles a chance to toughen up. Ligaments and tendons also need those rest days. Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation are the keys to healing.

Second, don't self-diagnose. If you're having problems that don't go away in a couple of days of rest, it's time to see a doctor, preferably one who deals with runners. In my case, orthotics were necessary to correct my biomechanical problems.

Third, buy a bike. No, I'm not saying to stop running. I'm saying that biking is a great low-impact cardio workout that mixes well with running, especially if you're nursing an injury. Personally, I have a sore spot in my right foot this week that I think I caused by diving back into running too aggressively due to weight loss and better cardiovascular shape.

So, my recipe for the next few days is RICE, ibuprofen, and cycling until my foot is happier. My new orthotics should be back from the lab in a week or so, just in time for my foot to be happy again.
  • missinmybiscuits
    missinmybiscuits Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I guess even though I used to run every day, somehow I can't anymore...it's very disappointing because I feel like a caged animal if I sit for too long.

So far, I've been resting, and when I called, my doctor actually suggested taking a supplement that promotes joint and cartilage repair (it's called "Move Free" if anyone wants to look for it). I can use the elliptical with no pain, and all the stretches and exercises that everyone recommends don't seem to hurt or bother me, so I suppose only time will tell. Here's hoping I can rehab in time for my 5K debut on New Year's Eve!

I hope all of you are are having knee/foot pains get better soon!