Hey! What are your ties to Jamaica?

chrisja
chrisja Posts: 380 Member
Were you born in Jamaica or are you Jamaican through ancestry? Which parish(es) are you affiliated with?

I am Jamaican by birth and am from the parish of St. Ann.

Replies

• HI Chris. I was born in KIngston and lived there for the first 18 years of my life.
  • chrisja
    chrisja Posts: 380 Member
    Great. Nice meeting you.
  • Kaybee1011
    Kaybee1011 Posts: 21 Member
    I'm from St. Ann and lived in Kingston for 12 years and now i am living in canada for almost 10 years.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Hi all,
    I am originally from Claremont, St. Ann though also lived in Kingston for 5 years. Now living in the UK for the past 10 years.
  • midonhau
    midonhau Posts: 108 Member
    Hi,
    I hail from Kingston.....been residing in the US for 3 years now

When I initially moved here the thing I missed the most was FOOD......I love my JAMAICAN FOOD!!!
  • ackeebee
    HI Chris. I was born in KIngston and lived there for the first 18 years of my life.

Hi catlady :-)
    Are you still living in Jamaica?
  • ackeebee
    Hi,
    I hail from Kingston.....been residing in the US for 3 years now

When I initially moved here the thing I missed the most was FOOD......I love my JAMAICAN FOOD!!!

Welcome to the Team Jamaica!
    I know what you mean. When I first moved to the UK 10 years ago it was so difficult for me. It would have helped if I had went to somewhere like London or Birmingham where there are alot of Jamaicans but my first stop (for 3 years) was Plymouth. Let's just say I didnt find anything Jamaica there
  • jamaka1
    jamaka1 Posts: 412 Member
    Born & raise in Ja, lived mostly in St. Andrew until I migrate to Detroit then Philly. I have adapted fairly over the 16yrs....... but i still get HOMESICK :ohwell:
  • jamaka1
    Its good to see other yardies, we everywhere like "fine salt" LOL. Nice 2 meet you all & I will tell the other Ja crew thats on here.
  • maxxmore
    maxxmore Posts: 25 Member
    Born in Kingston, JA. Went to high school at St. Hughes then came to New York City when I was 16 then moved to Florida. Been in the US last 34 years, that should tell you my age - LOL.
  • maxxmore
    maxxmore Posts: 25 Member
    Oh, for elementary, I went to Calabar All Age School....
  • My parents are Jamaicans, born in Canada and went to prep and high school in Jamaica. Meadowbrook prep and high. I do miss the laid back lifestyle in Jamaica, I hate the rat race!
  • Hey y'all...

i'm a blackchiney :) (Dad's chinese. )

Born, grown, raised here... Went to Alvernia Prep then Holy Childhood High... Went to NY for my B.Sc. (in speech Pathology) and i'm back. :)

Looking to head back to the states to further my studies.
  • jamaka1
    This is so cool bc i had no idea that some of MFP are my sistrens. Holler!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ackeebee
    Nice to see you all on here!
  • Elle how does speech pathology as a career do in Jamaica. I went back to Jamaica about 4 yrs ago, to do MRI at UWI, but the pay was really bad.
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Hey everyone, I was born, raised and still live in Jamaica.
  • Elle how does speech pathology as a career do in Jamaica. I went back to Jamaica about 4 yrs ago, to do MRI at UWI, but the pay was really bad.

well, there are very few of us out here and i'm one of the only ones working in the public sector... pay isn't by no means great.. but i'm surviving. I do it for the love of the job and the kids. (or until i get back into school :-p)
  • ackeebee
    Hey y'all...

i'm a blackchiney :) (Dad's chinese. )

Born, grown, raised here... Went to Alvernia Prep then Holy Childhood High... Went to NY for my B.Sc. (in speech Pathology) and i'm back. :)

Looking to head back to the states to further my studies.

Is speech pathology the same as speech and language therapy? A friend of mine studied speech and language therapy here in the UK and moved back to Jamaica a couple years ago.
  • TSTagain
    TSTagain Posts: 84 Member
    Hi everyone,

I'm from claredon, living in the states for the past 12 years. I go back almost every year, since my mom and brother still live in JA.