Some Strength Training Tips

denitraross
denitraross Posts: 325 Member
I am by no means an expert on strength training, but have picked up some tips online, in dvds, in fitness classes that I figured I would share as I recently sent them to someone (hehe, GO CANDANCE). I strongly believe in the importance of strength training mixed with cardio to bet the best results...if you do not build muscle, your more likely to gain the weight back, you won't look as good, and you can lose so many more inches doing it. Here are the things I have learned so far:

1. Never work the same muscle two days in a row - it needs to rest for one and for two, you should be too sore to work it again - if your not, you didn't work hard enough or use enough weight.
2. You do a big muscle (back, legs, chest) with a smaller muscles (tricep, bicep, shoulders).
3. Do at least 10 reps of each excercise - but you can go up to 15 (you shouldn't be able to do more than 15, if you can, your not using enough weight)..wait 30-45 seconds and do you next set. However, I like to do what is called a superset - that means doing one muscle (biceps) then no rest in between and do another set of another muscle (tricpes) This helps keep you heart rate up and also makes your workout quicker. So you would do say 10 bicep curls, then right to 10 tricep dips, then rest for 30 seconds).
4. Concentrate on the muscle you are working - what I mean is as you do a bicep curl, when you arm gets up and your flexing, think about that muscle and squeeze it. You will get much better definition of you do this.
5. Breathe - this sounds silly but concentrate on taking a breath in as you start and blowing out as your lift - it makes you concentrate on the movement.
6. Try to have a protein shake on the day you lift - it will help with your enery, building the muscle and more important it helps with soreness.
7. LEARN TO LOVE BEING SORE!! If you are sore - that means you worked out - and you are changing that muscle - NO PAIN, NO GAIN is very true :)

Here is a starter workout for anyone interested:

Day One - Upper Body - Chest, Bicep and Tricep

Chest -
Bench Press - 3 sets of 10-15 reps (you can use dumbells or a bar if they have one)Start heavier with this - say 20 lbs. Lie on Bench with dumbells or weights - arms extended directly above chest.
Pushups - 3 sets of 10 (yes, I said pushups - they are the number one body excercise, everyone hates them but they really work). Start on your knees with you toes on the ground - as you build up strength, do them on your knees with you feet off the ground behind you - then to full push ups on your toes. To do proper pushup, your hands should be below you chest, shoulder width apart - and no sticking your butt in the air!!

Triceps -
Tricep Dips - 3 sets of 10 - You can do these off a bench, stairs, chair. The key to these are to keep your butt close to your hands. Start straight up and lower to a 90 degree angle (google it if you have never done them)
Overhead Extensions - 3 sets of 10 - Use 5 lbs first, then try moving up. You put the weight in both hands, hold straight up in the air over your head, elbows tucked in by your head and drop your hands behind you to a 90 degree angle (again google it).

Biceps -
Hammer Curls - 3 sets of 10 - Again start with 5 lbs, then move up. (Google how to do it) Key is to make sure you are flexing that muscle as you bring it up.
Open Curls - 3 sets of 10 - Same as above

Upper Body Day 2 -

Back -

Bent Over Rows - 3 sets of 10 - use heavier weight here as you back is a strong muslce- try 10 lb dumbelss. Stand slightly bent over, arms hangling by sides, lift your arms while bent back (have to google this one as its hard to describe)
Over Head Presses - 3 sets 10 - same as above - use heavier weight. Stand with feet shoulder width apart, arms extended overheard - down and up, pretty simple.

Shoulders -

I like to do my shoulders in sets of 30 - 3 excerices - 10 reps each - repeat 3 times.

Front Raises - 10 reps - Start light as you do not need alot weight for this to feel it - 5 lb dumbells or less. Stand with feet shoulder width apart, arms in front of you by your side, raise up to you shoulders only, then lower.
Laterial Raises - same as above. Feet shoulder width apart, arms by your side, raise to the side, no higher than you shoulders.
Shoulder Shrugs - 10 reps. Arm hanging by your sides. Lift you shoulders like you are shrugging them, hold at the top for a couple seconds then drop them and repeat.

Legs -

Squats - 3 sets 10. Start with no weight at all until you get used to it, then put a bar with some wieght on it behind your neck resting on your shoulders. I am sure you know how to do a proper squat - key to getting a good squat is when you are coming up - squeeze your legs together.
Lunges - 3 sets 10, each leg - Same as above, do with no wieght first. Key is to make sure you front knee does not go over your toe.
Pilate Squats - 3 sets of 10 - Same as normal squats but you stand pretty wide and point your toes out - this will target inner thigh - rememeber to squeeze on the way up!!
Leg Raises - 3 sets 10 - Lie on your back, put your hands under your lower back to support it - feet in the air, lower to an inch above the ground then raise - SLOW is the key to this, no fast movements. This will also work your abs too.

AGAIN - I AM NOT AN EXPERT - lol, just figured I would share...

Replies

• candace34
    candace34 Posts: 27 Member
    Who's Candance?? LMAO
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Who's Candance?? LMAO

LMAO..in my over excitment - I spelt your name wrong...DOHHH!! Never claimed to be smartest cookie in the bos..lol